Thread: Educate Others On The Lineup -- 2013 Boogaloo

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Educate Others On The Lineup -- 2013 Boogaloo

Hi everybody, welcome to the yearly education thread. As there's really only one act or so I feel like I have any more to contribute on than a lot of other people, I will only be addressing IO Echo at the moment. Here is how the education thread works:

Please either have seen the band or for some of the smaller acts at least have done a decent amount of research. Unless it's some really shitty act, then please listen to two (2) youtubes and quickly write a funny dismissal of all the art these people have created. When you post your praise/criticism, please include some youtubes. If there are good live clips, then sweet. If the band is good live but the youtubes of them don't convey it properly--as happens to me from time to time--just post non-live youtubes and state that they're better live than they seem.

IO Echo:

I got sold on this band, which seems to be mostly the chick singer, when I saw them opening for The Secret Machines at some bar a few years back. It was one of the most annoying crowds I'd ever been in, just a bunch of LA assholes not giving proper appreciation for the talents being exhibited. One of the coolest moments was during this song, which you might want to turn your volume down around 1:20 while watching:

It was a cool moment because in the beginning when she was issuing her soft pleas of "Quiet... quiet..." the crowd actually started to listen. They were just talking right over her but something about her beckoning in that hushed tone actually got through and you heard an entire room full of annoying conversations grind to a halt until the place was nearly silent and then they just blasted the FUCK out of everybody with racket. I'm not normally the racket-loving type, but this was awesome.

They have another song I distinctly remember loving that night, but I'm instead going to use some footage from when they opened up for NIN at the last of the goodbye NIN shows at The Wiltern. They held the stage really well despite clearly being in front of probably the biggest audience of their career, none of the audience really being there to watch them.

This is Stalemate which I remember from what I assume is their first EP. It is good:

You should watch these guys with me, unless they're on at like 1 pm in which case I will NOT fucking see you there because it is TOO goddamn early to Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Default Re: Educate Others On The Lineup -- 2013 Boogaloo

Also, if you modding bastards move this thread out of the Misc. Lounge, I will totally whine like a bitch about it in so many IMs. It will be totes more annoying than it is worth.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

This is Jurassic 5. They are rappists and hiphopperants. You might be saying, "But RSW, didn't that Sunday night headlining shitshow last year pretty much confirm that watching hip-hop is some boring ass crap 99 percent of the time?" Well, you'd be right my dear reader, but these guys actually should be a lot of fun. They're good times rap, the kind of shit you hear at a house party being thrown by people who don't suck at throwing parties. Also, this means Charlie Tuna should show up, and his voice is so cool it makes my panties wet.

If you're worried you won't know any of the songs they'll play, don't worry because I guarantee you've heard Quality Control unless you literally had no non-white friends.

old school

the viper room
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy75 View Post
    the viper room
    Total cunt factory. No surprise they were so shitty to io echo. I saw emily Haines there and she was the headliner and the crowd at the bar kept talking over her. She even called them out for it

I second the io echo nod. New ep is good and they finally have an album coming out.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Julio Bashmore plays, in his own words, "mysteriously swashbuckling house music." It's rhythmic, soulful, with a great mix of classic and new sounds and songs. He will make you dance like never before. He is on the verge of blowing up for sure. He is an amazing DJ and an even better producer. Fun fact: He produced Jessie Ware's 110%. I just saw him in December and he put on a hell of a show. This is going to be a set to see, and it's going to be great, regardless of where or when it is.

https://soundcloud.com/qrip/2012-11-...io-bashmore-in

Oh also, if anyone wants to know more about the electronic lineup, I made this, which has productions/dj sets from each of the electronic artists: http://zeen.com/read/NQQs6l/the-awes...coachella-2013
    Last edited by Tendeafears; 01-26-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post

You should watch these guys with me, unless they're on at like 1 pm in which case I will NOT fucking see you there because it is TOO goddamn early to Coachella.
    I'll be there anyway...

I know most people know about them these days, but Disclosure, two buddies from the UK, is my most anticipated set by far. A great mix between garage and deep house, these dudes threw it down on their first US tour that started late 2012. Best of all, these guys play live, which I assume they would be doing at Coachella as well. Considering they're playing the same day as Jessie Ware, it's just about certain she'll come out and sing during "Running". DON'T MISS THIS SET!

MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Janelle Monae. Rap, rock, funk, R&B, soul, that chick featured on that song by fun. First heard about her when living in Atlanta in '08/'09, and I've spent every moment since then perplexed that she's not the biggest thing in the world.

Her albums are loosely inspired by Metropolis, but there's nothing silent about her. Crazily theatrical, amazing energy. I first saw her at the Viper Room with just a guitar, drummer, and backing tracks and it was amazing, but I'll use videos from her set at Glastonbury, because I'm hoping she brings this full crew to Coachella. It could be the best thing all weekend.

These should give you a good sense of the range:

"Tightrope"

"Come Alive (The War of the Roses)"

"Dance or Die" (cover)

Can we combine these threads? PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I know most people know about them these days, but Disclosure, two buddies from the UK
    They're brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendeafears View Post
    They're brothers.
    Oh whoops that's what I meant..
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

The Rolling Stones are 5 handsome young men from London, England who play electric blues music. Many people think they have the potential to be as popular as the Beatles or Cliff Richard!

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.