Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Janelle 2013

Default Janelle 2013

You may not of noticed her because for whatever reason she's tucked way down at the bottom - but I have a very strong feeling this will be the show everyone talks about once this who party wraps up. Hopefully she gets a night slot...please please give her a night slot!
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Default Re: Janelle 2013

Yeah, I'm still amazed she's not huge. This is going to be great.

old school

SHe'd have higher billing if there was a new album.

One of my can't miss acts of the weekend. Unbelievably excited for this.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews about her live show and how charismatic/energetic she is. So happy I'll be able to finally witness it.

One of the best live performers I've ever seen. In the spirit of James Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    I've heard nothing but rave reviews about her live show and how charismatic/energetic she is. So happy I'll be able to finally witness it.
    It's going to be a really really fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    It's going to be a really really fun time.

This gave me the chills. Thank you.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

She's got so much energy. Quite a few good songs as well. I saw her at Made In America in September and she killed.
    My Arcade Fire Brooklyn review
    @cloneradio

Coachella '10, '11, '12 Weekend 1, '13 Weekend 1, '14 Weekend 1
    Lollapalooza '08, '12, '13
    Bonnaroo '13
    Sarsfest' 03
    Rock Am Ring '06
    Download Festival '06
    Novarock '06
    Rock The Bells '07
    Orion Festival '12
    Made In America '12, '13
    Laneway Detroit '13

Seriously tho, why isn't she a star? She has the voice and creativity. Her sound is refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianAniel View Post
    Seriously tho, why isn't she a star? She has the voice and creativity. Her sound is refreshing.
    Shes just too arty and eclectic many...I cant think of another album that tapped as many different musical eras as ArchAndroid 2&3 Where talking contemporary hip hop all the way back to forties big band and early Disney scores with stops at many rock and soul junctures in between.

But I have seen her live and she is phenomenal great combination of Grace Jones James Brown and Prince and her band is phenomenal. Definite contender for best set of entire weekend. Shes just a natural.

This video just made her a must see for me

I heard she almost* stole the show from Prince at the Forum, cant wait for her
    Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13.1,14.1
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

She'll draw a respectable crowd at first and she will end grabbing the attention of people passing by who will proceed to stick around and watch the rest of her performance. I have watched quite a few of her performances on Palladia and youtube and have yet to discover a single one that didn't look like a complete blast. Her songs represent a wide variety of genres and she's superb as a performer.

damn that last video got me pumped. looks like it's the big finale of her show though, almost wish i hadn't watched it so i'd be unexpectedly blown away.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

When I caught her, she actually asked the entire audience to get low as the band did. I hope she does that again.

Saw her at OSL in 2010 and she killed it. I couldn't find a decent video from her stage show, but here's one from the acoustic tent that really shows how emotional she is about her music. She is a must see.
    Last edited by Lynn163; 02-04-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: correct the date.

old school

Set time could be a factor in how her set is received. Raphael Saadiq's night set was weirdly kinda a bust in 2011 when he killed the 3 other times I saw him.

I really, really wish she was on Sunday. I can't imagine letting myself miss her for anything, but I'm worried she'll get a bum afternoon set instead of the late night party she deserves.

It figures that an act I've been dying to see for the last 3 years finally gets booked when I'm not attending.

And yes, she will (unfortunately) be early. Coachella hates putting black women on the stage post sunset, even when they absolutely deserve it (ie, Erykah Badu and Lauryn Hill).
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Exactly how I feel

old school

Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    It figures that an act I've been dying to see for the last 3 years finally gets booked when I'm not attending.

And yes, she will (unfortunately) be early. Coachella hates putting black women on the stage post sunset, even when they absolutely deserve it (ie, Erykah Badu and Lauryn Hill).
    Corinne Bailey Rae?

MIA?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn163 View Post

Saw her at OSL in 2011 and she killed it. I couldn't find a decent video from her stage show, but here's one from the acoustic tent that really shows how emotional she is about her music. She is a must see.
    you made me trip for like 5 minutes before I read the title of the video. She played OSL 2010 not 2011 (the first year I went).

New Coachella conspiracy?
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings played at either 11pm or midnight and tore down the Gobi. I dream of Phoenix ending at midnight and Janelle hitting the Mojave at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    you made me trip for like 5 minutes before I read the title of the video. She played OSL 2010 not 2011 (the first year I went).
    oops, sorry. My mistake.

I was hoping one day she would appear on the lineup of Coachella... April can't come quick enough...

Such a great artist. Can't wait to see her.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

I saw her open for Prince at MSG a few years back! incredible energy! I'm definitely on my list this year

I just saw her a few weeks ago at a private concert that I lucked into probably about 400 people. Its just a 7 or 8 song set but it was amazing. I saw her and her band open for Prince years ago and that was very good but she and her band have got so much better. the Gobi is going to be jammed or at least it will be jamming.