Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Default Re: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Nothing backs up the claim that Roses were a late booking. Blur was done a good 6 months ago.

Phoenix is the one I wonder about. When they came into the picture to top their day and if they were ever a sub in the past 2 months.
    Pretty sure it was supposed to be Phoenix -> Daft Punk

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I am giving this one last try, and if you can't understand it, you can't understand it.

Let's say they had a hypothetical third weekend. Based on the time it took two weekends to sell out (under 24 hours), you would be correct if your argument was that they would not be able to instantly sell out three weekends. You are making an assumption based on one year of data (2012) that a sell-out is only possible in the first day, and that if it takes longer than 24 hours, then it won't sell out.

The truth is that all this proves is that to get into the first two weekends, you would have to be so gung-ho about the decision that you a) would have bought it pre-lineup during the pre-sale, or b) would buy it within 24 hours, and take time off work, buy hotels, plane tickets, etc after. There are many more people who may not pull the plug immediately on a festival of this size, but after a couple weeks of analyzing the lineup, comparing hotel fares and plane tickets, roping in friends/getting permission from parents, and making sure they can take the time off work, would eventually buy tickets. They will not be able to get into Coachella as it is structured now, but that does not remove them from under the category of "demand" for additional weekends that Paul was referring to.

In 2011, Coachella took 6 days to sell out. In 2010, it took months and months. In 2008, it didn't even sell out. So, clearly, in many past Coachellas, the majority of attendees were actually from the second group, the group that took their time.

All that you are able to prove from your "data" is that there are only enough "die-hard, we're going no matter what!" attendees to fill two weekends. Do you realize how silly it is to make a claim that there is no way another weekend would have sold out since it took twoweekends less than 24 hours to sell out, especially when in the past it took months to sell out a Coachella? You are making the claim that if an event does not sell-out instantly, it will not sell out.

Like I said, if you can't get it, you can't get it. Whatever.
    You're still under the impression that Coachella is a sold out festival, while tens of thousands of passes are still available for purchase. Someone in this thread obviously does not get it, and you're not the one to be making claims on who that someone is.

I am curious how many of these "sold out" passes were picked up by resellers. Like, what percentage.

I think that there are lots of people interested in Coachella and at this point the hype may be such that even if they aren't thrilled with the lineup, they just want to go. I agree it's definitely about the experience. But since my first Coachella in '07 until this year, "epic" headliners have been an important part of the equation, and future Coachellas cannot infinitely thrive on bottom-heavy lineups like this year. Eventually all the curious people who want to go to Coachella will go. I kind of like the idea that GV invoked their punk rock roots and said "Fuck it, we're telling you who's headliner-worthy", I kind of don't like it, but I'm pretty sure there was more to this year's booking than that alone. I think next year will perhaps be a balance of 2012 & 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    You're still under the impression that Coachella is a sold out festival, while tens of thousands of passes are still available for purchase. Someone in this thread obviously does not get it, and you're not the one to be making claims on who that someone is.
    As of this second, there are exactly 3,044 tickets available on StubHub. Which is approximately 2% of the capacity of the two weekends. Exactly like last year.

And as every single other person in this thread has pointed out, your definition of a "sold out event" has never once even closely resembled reality.

As of this second, there are exactly 3,044 tickets available on StubHub. Which is approximately 2% of the capacity of the two weekends. Exactly like last year.

And as every single other person in this thread has pointed out, your definition of a "sold out event" has never once even closely resembled reality.
    Frontgatetickets.com still has passes, GA and VIP on sale with travel packages. Please explain to me how passes still being on sale equates to a sell out. I'm all eyes.

Frontgatetickets.com still has passes, GA and VIP on sale with travel packages. Please explain to me how passes still being on sale equates to a sell out. I'm all eyes.
    You continue to be impossible. A couple El Dorado tents and a 2% scalper secondary market still does not equal your "tens of thousands" number.

You continue to be impossible. A couple El Dorado tents and a 2% scalper secondary market still does not equal your "tens of thousands" number.
    A couple? As well as travel packages, people selling their tickets on ebay now, and people selling their tickets on ebay within the next two and a half months. You're in serious denial. Thousands just on stubhub, and growing. Tens of thousands is nearly obviously accurate by your own claims. How about you wait and see? We can have this argument for the next three days, or we can both wait and see how it turns out. It's obvious that thousands of passes are still available. You can argue that the number isn't TENS of thousands, but you're still proving my initial point. COACHELLA 2013 IS NOT AS OF YET A SELL OUT CONCERT. Caps because you have difficulties reading paragraphs, and need emphasis on the main points. Good day to you, sir. It's time for lunch.

Edit: Almost forgot. More sources. Booya with a cherry on top. http://valleymusictravel.com/coachel...3_weekend1.php
    Last edited by Zafocaine; 02-01-2013 at 03:49 PM.

old school

Edit: Almost forgot. More sources. Booya with a cherry on top. http://valleymusictravel.com/coachel...3_weekend1.php
    Many of those are $1,500 to be in Palm Spring. Who wants to ride a giant yellow school bus 6 times for an hour each to a music festival?

There was a couple decent deals but much of hotel packages offered is simply separating rich people form their money.

Many of those are $1,500 to be in Palm Spring. Who wants to ride a giant yellow school bus 6 times for an hour each to a music festival?

There was a couple decent deals but much of hotel packages offered is simply separating rich people form their money.
    I enjoyed staying at Palm Mountain last year and riding the shuttle to the grounds. I wish it were a little closer, but the location was nice due to proximity of about anything you could want. Groceries, shops, bars and restaurants all over the area.

This time around I'm going to stay on the other side of the airport and drive to the Tennis Garden and park there to cut down the shuttle time. It will also justify my rental car better... I didn't mind taking the Marriot line in 2011, which seemed about the right distance.

I do agree that the "vacation packages" are rediculously overpriced. My flight, hotel, rental car and ticket all together were around $1500 together.

Either way, this event is essentially sold out. The only passes left are rediculous packages, and selling the secondary market creates no incentive beyond merchant traffic for GV.

If there are less people than last year, I will be personally overjoyed.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

I said the COMBINATION of Blur/Roses, which will be a worldwide exclusive that will be talked about for years to come.
    Hahahahahahaha... yeah... right.

You'll be telling your unborn grandchildren about the Blur/Stone Roses I'm sure

Banned

EVERYONE CALM DOWN AND REMEMBER ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING........IT'S COACHELLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

if passes are being sold, it's not sold out. It's not a sell out unless each ticket is sold to an attendee. As there are thousands of tickets for sale on the internet right now, the show is not sold out. Goldenvoice merely sold their stock of tickets.
    I really hope you are under the age of 15, because that would be sad for a grown up to not understand what "Sold Out" means.

Coachella sold every ticket they have. That would be the exact definition of SOLD OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen22 View Post
    I really hope you are under the age of 15, because that would be sad for a grown up to not understand what "Sold Out" means.

Coachella sold every ticket they have. That would be the exact definition of SOLD OUT.
    They posted "Sold out" on facebook. Passes were still available. Are you stoned? Frontgate is probably STILL selling ticket packages. Do you enjoy being a dupe?

Lurker

Lehorne, you said it! Madness, but ecstatic madness! A lack of BIG name headliners means MORE real music fans and LESS little hipster children!
    MUAHAHAHAHAHA! Loves.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    It is pretty fucking crazy. Borderline madness even. That's why I love this festival.

But... if there are less hipsters, and all the same people who hate hipsters... who will the haters hate on, but each other? I'd prefer a bunch of hipsters making idiots of themselves over a bunch of idiots trying to make hipsters of everyone else. Just saying, slug.

blah blah blah…. you're all still going to go & have a great time. Bitching is just a way of filling up the excess time on your hands while you wait for your weekend in the desert… It's not ALL about the headliners! Check out the other awesome artists playing - just because they're in smaller font, it doesn't mean they're any less worth seeing!

HELLOOOOO!

Divine Fits, Infected Mushroom, New Order, Sigur Ros, Social Distortion, Metric, Local Natives, Luciano, Alt-J, Aesop Rock, Lou Reed, Violent Femmes, Bat For Lashes, Janelle Monae….. and I'm not even to Sunday yet.

More than half those bands you just listed suck. I agree that there are a lot of cool acts to see who aren't headliners (or I wouldn't be attending at all, obviously), but if you go by the list you just made, you will see a lot of shit you could have avoided in favor of talented/ enjoyable acts. Aside from Sigur Ros, I wouldn't catch any of those acts in their entirety. That would just be boring.

More than half those bands you just listed suck. I agree that there are a lot of cool acts to see who aren't headliners (or I wouldn't be attending at all, obviously), but if you go by the list you just made, you will see a lot of shit you could have avoided in favor of talented/ enjoyable acts. Aside from Sigur Ros, I wouldn't catch any of those acts in their entirety. That would just be boring.
    meh, it's not often I can catch the entire set of any single act anyway - I mean, if its a favorite, or something incredible I'll make it a point to catch the entire set. But, reality of the weekend is, I try and catch the best of what I can. It's always a good time for me, and I'm rarely disappointed by any of the acts I wanna catch. I love that its always an eccentric lineup, because it has something for everyone's taste. To each their own, ya know?

Thanks for that lovely Paul Tollett speech. There are people who watch entire sets. There are people who camp three shows in advance so they can get a "good" spot for the show they want to catch. There are people who wander from show to show, usually hanging in the back as to avoid stepping on people or getting stepped on. There are people who pretty much go to the Sahara, and never make it out of the tents all weekend. Be who you are, and fuck trying to justify it for anyone else.

Thanks for that lovely Paul Tollett speech. There are people who watch entire sets. There are people who camp three shows in advance so they can get a "good" spot for the show they want to catch. There are people who wander from show to show, usually hanging in the back as to avoid stepping on people or getting stepped on. There are people who pretty much go to the Sahara, and never make it out of the tents all weekend. Be who you are, and fuck trying to justify it for anyone else.
    AGREED! …especially that part about people getting sucked into the Sahara tent & never making it back out… The videos of the people who are ridiculously wasted that end up on YouTube are typically in or around the Sahara tent haha.

I was very intrigued with the Sahara at my first show in 09. There were actually acts in that tent I wanted to see, and I ended up coming back mostly because of the crowd. I'm a big fan of the Sahara crowd when it gets rolling on a good night, though not so much that regurgitated remix music that gets pumped out. The last two years have been Sahara-free mostly. The only time I pay attention to the Sahara is when I'm at the beer garden. Purdy lights.

I was very intrigued with the Sahara at my first show in 09. There were actually acts in that tent I wanted to see, and I ended up coming back mostly because of the crowd. I'm a big fan of the Sahara crowd when it gets rolling on a good night, though not so much that regurgitated remix music that gets pumped out. The last two years have been Sahara-free mostly. The only time I pay attention to the Sahara is when I'm at the beer garden. Purdy lights.
    Would you say Benny Benassi will play Sahara like he did in 2010? And did you catch that set? I'm wondering if it will be worth catching him… I missed him in 2010; I saw Vampire Weekend instead.

Plus, last year, the Sahara tent was a fucking madhouse. To see Kaskade, I stayed in the beer gardens behind the tent - like you said, purdy lights.

Vampire Weekend was so dry. One of the most boring shows of that weekend, for me. Either headlining the Sahara (most likely), or going to get the Justice time slot on the main stage (I don't think that'll happen based on the edm lineup for that night. Knife Party would have to be headlining the Sahara that night, right? Eh... maybe lol)

Vampire Weekend was so dry. One of the most boring shows of that weekend, for me. Either headlining the Sahara (most likely), or going to get the Justice time slot on the main stage (I don't think that'll happen based on the edm lineup for that night. Knife Party would have to be headlining the Sahara that night, right? Eh... maybe lol)
    Ahh Knife Party! I almost forgot about them. I've yet to see them live... Looking forward to it.

I'll probably be spending a lot more time tent/stage hopping on Sunday, checking everything out. I've resigned myself to looking forward to RHCP headlining. The only two acts I'm almost definitely going to check out are Nick Cave, and Wu Tang, though I'm not much of a Nick Cave fan. I'm pushing high expectations on him for all the good I've heard. I already started thinking Wu Tang might be kind of weak, but the live video I watched on netflix reassured me. Otherwise it's open game for all stages this year Sunday1/2.

Jesus, Zafo man the fuck up and get this girl's(?) number and you can text each other all this fucking exchange and hell, maybe you hit it off and meet up at Coachella this year and maybe just maybe he'll be kind enough to let you suck him(!) off. Pansy.
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Is that cum on your chin, or are you just happy to see me?

Oh... This isn't where you exchange conversation for the possibility of getting some at Coachella? My mistake...

Yeah, sorry. I'm not much for internet meet ups. Spot me in the campground, corner me, and suck my dick, maybe. Otherwise, nah =P