Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Default Re: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    I really like Phoenix! I thoroughly enjoyed their first album, and thought their set on the Outdoor in 2010 was great. But I also liked MGMT's first album, thought their second was bleh and thankfully missed their stinker of a set in 2010. Without hearing Phoenix's second album, don't you think making them a headliner is a bit of a gamble? Keeping in mind they are billed the same as Radiohead was last year.
    you know that Phoenix are about to release their fifth album, don't you?
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Let's be honest, though. How many people do you think have heard more than the singles off Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix?
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Let's be honest, though. How many people do you think have heard more than the singles off Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix?
    I think a lot of people that have heard of Phoenix at least know "Too Young" or "If I Ever Feel Better" off of United. I agree that everything after that up until WAP is pretty much unknown, though.

Read the last page - I said I stand corrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Who gives a fuck about huge names when you have a lineup with this much diverse talent!?

I've never gone to Coachella specifically for the headliners, and this year will be no different.

But Blur/ Stone Roses is definitely a weird Friday night headliner combo for a U.S. festival.
    But the thing no one is talking about is how great some of their songs are. All this complaining about no Daft Punk when truth is I would take The Stone Roses debut over Discoverys disco cheese any day of the week.

Blur Stone Roses could very well be the three hour peak of the entire festival who care how big they are. N

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso View Post
    I personally would have preferred someone other than (2007 headliner) RHCP, but I suppose their last 6 albums have all reached the top 4 in the US charts and they have 25 singles that went top 10 on the US Alt chart. But not exactly current & relevant nor quite legends.

Phoenix? 1 album that ever charted in the US (#37) and 3 singles that showed up anywhere here, but at least current & have the hope of their new album.

Blur + Stone Roses though? No albums or singles ever in US top 45. Not current, not legends, almost no US success in their day, not reuniting for the first time in ages or anything. Putting the 2 of them together doesn't solve those problems.

Pretty happy with the rest, but top headliners do seem a bit thin.
    So what you are saying is if it doesn't chart you don't care for it? You should save your money for KROQ Weenie Roast.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    But the thing no one is talking about is how great some of their songs are. All this complaining about no Daft Punk when truth is I would take The Stone Roses debut over Discoverys disco cheese any day of the week.

Blur Stone Roses could very well be the three hour peak of the entire festival who care how big they are. N
    I don't think anyone in this thread is complaining about the lack of Daft Punk; there are multiple other threads for that topic. What people in here are complaining about is the lack of headliners. I think that Friday is probably the strongest day, headliner wise. It's Phoenix and RHCP that are in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

They could've given us anyone, anyone at all except RHCP. I'll go out on a limb and say the Black Keys again with their new album soon would've been more welcomed. The Flaming Lips, Atoms for Peace, Watch the Throne, Eminem, Prince.......anybody.

Adding two bands on the one line doesn't make Friday okay either, its a joke how people can sit back and say these headliners are great. Take a look at the crowd for these two acts, you will almost be able to count them. Guess the advantage of this is to avoid the main stage and see someone smaller and better close elsewhere.

As far as Phoenix goes, it would've been acceptable one night with two other larger sized headliners, (last year's Snoop & Dre and Radiohead) but this is clearly not the case.

Where the hell is the bigger EDM acts by the way... No Deadmau5, Prodigy, Aphex Twin, Kraftwerk, Chems, Boys Noize? No we get DOG BLOOD instead.

Of course there's the exception of plenty of exciting acts, with an array of gems on this lineup. But its safe to say that for the bulk of it Goldenvoice pretty much got drunk as fuck, closed one eye, and pointed at names on a wall from a shitty list.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread is complaining about the lack of Daft Punk; there are multiple other threads for that topic. What people in here are complaining about is the lack of headliners. I think that Friday is probably the strongest day, headliner wise. It's Phoenix and RHCP that are in question.
    Are you joke? ARE YOU JOKE? Stone Roses.... aka the Nirvana of the UK? The fuck? Does that mean the lead man got a shotgun put in his mouth to death? Or does it mean they're trying to compare to a band that doesn't exist, as a band who shouldn't exist? How can you say RHCP aren't headliners? How can a band return from being a headliner to subbing? At least Phoenix have been selling their share of albums in the United States for the past decade or so. When's the last time you saw a Stone Roses or Blur record outside of a specialty record shop? Shit doesn't happen. If you go on youtube, you'll see people from the UK saying how lucky and unappreciative we are to be getting the combo. I agree. We're lucky, for brits, but we're fucked as Americans. Maybe the Blur Roses would have been a very welcomed "headlining" act in the UK, but this festival is NOT in the UK, and it wasn't especially marketed for the UK. While I hope that they both put on great shows, I also hope that GV takes a hit this year. It's about time they remember what it's like to have to worry about their future as a major festival. Rarity doesn't matter when there's no demand in your current market. Economics, brah.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themonstermash View Post
    They could've given us anyone, anyone at all except RHCP. I'll go out on a limb and say the Black Keys again with their new album soon would've been more welcomed. The Flaming Lips, Atoms for Peace, Watch the Throne, Eminem, Prince.......anybody.

Adding two bands on the one line doesn't make Friday okay either, its a joke how people can sit back and say these headliners are great. Take a look at the crowd for these two acts, you will almost be able to count them. Guess the advantage of this is to avoid the main stage and see someone smaller and better close elsewhere.

As far as Phoenix goes, it would've been acceptable one night with two other larger sized headliners, (last year's Snoop & Dre and Radiohead) but this is clearly not the case.

Where the hell is the bigger EDM acts by the way... No Deadmau5, Prodigy, Aphex Twin, Kraftwerk, Chems, Boys Noize? No we get DOG BLOOD instead.

Of course there's the exception of plenty of exciting acts, with an array of gems on this lineup. But its safe to say that for the bulk of it Goldenvoice pretty much got drunk as fuck, closed one eye, and pointed at names on a wall from a shitty list.
    You make it sound like booking a festival like this is easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Are you joke? ARE YOU JOKE? Stone Roses.... aka the Nirvana of the UK? The fuck? Does that mean the lead man got a shotgun put in his mouth to death? Or does it mean they're trying to compare to a band that doesn't exist, as a band who shouldn't exist? How can you say RHCP aren't headliners? How can a band return from being a headliner to subbing? At least Phoenix have been selling their share of albums in the United States for the past decade or so. When's the last time you saw a Stone Roses or Blur record outside of a specialty record shop? Shit doesn't happen. If you go on youtube, you'll see people from the UK saying how lucky and unappreciative we are to be getting the combo. I agree. We're lucky, for brits, but we're fucked as Americans. Maybe the Blur Roses would have been a very welcomed "headlining" act in the UK, but this festival is NOT in the UK, and it wasn't especially marketed for the UK. While I hope that they both put on great shows, I also hope that GV takes a hit this year. It's about time they remember what it's like to have to worry about their future as a major festival. Rarity doesn't matter when there's no demand in your current market. Economics, brah.
    What exactly are you trying to point out with this hideous run on sentence? First of all Bro!!! The Stone Roses are phenomenal as are Blur and though they may not be the kind of headliner you wanted to see since so many people have been asking for them for years maybe Goldenvoice took that into consideration. Last time I saw Blur here in the States they were playing small arenas not clubs. There was a time in the 90's had Stone Roses not imploded that they could have been really big. There is a word for people in the States that love U.K. bands. Here is your history lesson - We are called Anglophiles. The reason bands like this are welcome at Coachella is because we rarely get to see them and because they are British, or Scotish, or what have you they dont need to tour the states and play small clubs when they can tour arenas in their homeland. I am happy to see foriegn bands such as Blur, Stone Roses, Nick Cave/Grinderman, Sigur Ros, New Order, Bat for Lashes, Dead Can Dance, Johnny Marr, Franz Ferdinand all of which sometimes tour or are reclusive in touring the States. I get a chance of seeing them without forking out $50-$100. Im going to see Nick Cave here in Dallas and it cost $90 a ticket. For me and a lot of people it is about the quality of the undercard. I get to see Metric one of my favorite bands who rarely make it down to Texas from Canada once every touring cycle. I hate Phoenix and when I saw them they were on a small stage at a radio show but lots of people want to see them and someone felt they were headliner worthy. I feel a lot of the people on this board wouldnt be happy if Thom Yorke was blowing Bowie to a backdrop of a Daft Punk Dj Set while Jesus came back and the Morrissey and Marr had a barbecue before the Smiths played. People would still bitch, and moan, and complain. I am not happy with RHCP and Phoenix headlining but you know what at the end of the day this is one of the best Coachella line ups ever if you check the undercard and you are true fan of music then you will be busy well into the night. If not then you need to give up being a fan of good music and listen to Kroq or go to Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Sasquatch, or ACL those are great American Festivals who focus on American Bands mostly. Coachella is a world reknowned festival institution and it has garnered a reputation for reuniting and having rare appearances by U.K. bands which others wouldn't even dare have on their roster. Need proof- The Selecter one of the greatest ska bands ever is on the bill and they have a female singer. That is adventerous and that is a real concert promoter. Have a Good Day.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

don't waste your metaphorical breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by DropletsOfYes&No View Post
    What exactly are you trying to point out with this hideous run on sentence? First of all Bro!!! The Stone Roses are phenomenal as are Blur and though they may not be the kind of headliner you wanted to see since so many people have been asking for them for years maybe Goldenvoice took that into consideration. Last time I saw Blur here in the States they were playing small arenas not clubs. There was a time in the 90's had Stone Roses not imploded that they could have been really big. There is a word for people in the States that love U.K. bands. Here is your history lesson - We are called Anglophiles. The reason bands like this are welcome at Coachella is because we rarely get to see them and because they are British, or Scotish, or what have you they dont need to tour the states and play small clubs when they can tour arenas in their homeland. I am happy to see foriegn bands such as Blur, Stone Roses, Nick Cave/Grinderman, Sigur Ros, New Order, Bat for Lashes, Dead Can Dance, Johnny Marr, Franz Ferdinand all of which sometimes tour or are reclusive in touring the States. I get a chance of seeing them without forking out $50-$100. Im going to see Nick Cave here in Dallas and it cost $90 a ticket. For me and a lot of people it is about the quality of the undercard. I get to see Metric one of my favorite bands who rarely make it down to Texas from Canada once every touring cycle. I hate Phoenix and when I saw them they were on a small stage at a radio show but lots of people want to see them and someone felt they were headliner worthy. I feel a lot of the people on this board wouldnt be happy if Thom Yorke was blowing Bowie to a backdrop of a Daft Punk Dj Set while Jesus came back and the Morrissey and Marr had a barbecue before the Smiths played. People would still bitch, and moan, and complain. I am not happy with RHCP and Phoenix headlining but you know what at the end of the day this is one of the best Coachella line ups ever if you check the undercard and you are true fan of music then you will be busy well into the night. If not then you need to give up being a fan of good music and listen to Kroq or go to Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Sasquatch, or ACL those are great American Festivals who focus on American Bands mostly. Coachella is a world reknowned festival institution and it has garnered a reputation for reuniting and having rare appearances by U.K. bands which others wouldn't even dare have on their roster. Need proof- The Selecter one of the greatest ska bands ever is on the bill and they have a female singer. That is adventerous and that is a real concert promoter. Have a Good Day.
    Oh, you anglophiles. I have a feeling that a lot of people would find Thom Yorke giving Bowie fellatio on stage to be offensive. If that's what you think a perfect festival would be, then maybe Coachella isn't for you. I think we can agree that it's been a long time since Coachella has had this poor a headliner selection, if ever. Too many hours of Dr. Who have warped your mind. Is this your way of telling us that you have a fiance in the UK who you've never met, but insist upon being real because you've totally skyped her a couple times? The undercard looked pretty cool to begin with, and is only getting better with further investigation. Blur and Stone Roses, if you're familiar with their music, and aren't really a fan (like the majority of people posting in this thread), are disappointing as headliners, though they would have made great subs. Can we agree, or am I going to have to employ stfustooge tactics?

Oh, you anglophiles. I have a feeling that a lot of people would find Thom Yorke giving Bowie fellatio on stage to be offensive. If that's what you think a perfect festival would be, then maybe Coachella isn't for you. I think we can agree that it's been a long time since Coachella has had this poor a headliner selection, if ever. Too many hours of Dr. Who have warped your mind. Is this your way of telling us that you have a fiance in the UK who you've never met, but insist upon being real because you've totally skyped her a couple times? The undercard looked pretty cool to begin with, and is only getting better with further investigation. Blur and Stone Roses, if you're familiar with their music, and aren't really a fan (like the majority of people posting in this thread), are disappointing as headliners, though they would have made great subs. Can we agree, or am I going to have to employ stfustooge tactics?
    Totally agree. Blur, Stone Roses, Phoenix and RHCP are all lazy ass bookings. 2013 Coachella is about the undercard, headliners are absent.

If anyone disagrees with this, they're truly in denial. Look back on the last 6 Posters, you will not find a lineup in terms of headliners as dissapointing as this.

For a festival as big as Coachella you would expect to see Fridays headliners on second line, Phoenix on the second line and RHCP...well they are just laughable. Something had to have gone wrong there...its just so hard to understand Goldenvoice spent time & money actually chasing them in the belief that they'd be awesome.....hahahahahahaha. I just find it hilarious.

First of all Captain America. Your tactic to silence me wouldnt work in a million years. If you were so American then you would be all for free speech. I would never agree with you about Blur and the Stone Roses because to me they are great bands and can be to even the casual listener. Disappointing to hipster headliner snobs like you maybe but I bet about 60% of the people on this board are cool with them headlining. I have seen more people complaining about Phoenix and RHCP than Blur/Stone Roses. What do you want another Jack Johnson, Killers, or Kings of Leon headline? Those were American bands and they were choices that made me go to the hotel earlier. None were exclusive, None have anything spectacular to offer and took away from a good American or British Band Headlining. I bet you didnt say anything about Radiohead headlining last year and as much as I am a fan of theirs they were already on tour in the U.S. it was not exclusive and it was sort of monotomous to fans who had seen them already that year. Im not going to sit and argue the points and merits of American over U.K. Coachella and Glastonbury are Apples and Oranges and so are opinions, agree to disagree or get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by themonstermash View Post
    Totally agree. Blur, Stone Roses, Phoenix and RHCP are all lazy ass bookings. 2013 Coachella is about the undercard, headliners are absent.

If anyone disagrees with this, they're truly in denial. Look back on the last 6 Posters, you will not find a lineup in terms of headliners as dissapointing as this.

For a festival as big as Coachella you would expect to see Fridays headliners on second line, Phoenix on the second line and RHCP...well they are just laughable. Something had to have gone wrong there...its just so hard to understand Goldenvoice spent time & money actually chasing them in the belief that they'd be awesome.....hahahahahahaha. I just find it hilarious.
    I'm British so for me the top line Friday is very good, the top line sat not so much and the top Sunday will do just fine compared to what i might've got. But I'm someone who doesn't like radiohead, Jack Johnson, tool, kanye west or arcade fire to name a few

First of all Captain America. Your tactic to silence me wouldnt work in a million years. If you were so American then you would be all for free speech. I would never agree with you about Blur and the Stone Roses because to me they are great bands and can be to even the casual listener. Disappointing to hipster headliner snobs like you maybe but I bet about 60% of the people on this board are cool with them headlining. I have seen more people complaining about Phoenix and RHCP than Blur/Stone Roses. What do you want another Jack Johnson, Killers, or Kings of Leon headline? Those were American bands and they were choices that made me go to the hotel earlier. None were exclusive, None have anything spectacular to offer and took away from a good American or British Band Headlining. I bet you didnt say anything about Radiohead headlining last year and as much as I am a fan of theirs they were already on tour in the U.S. it was not exclusive and it was sort of monotomous to fans who had seen them already that year. Im not going to sit and argue the points and merits of American over U.K. Coachella and Glastonbury are Apples and Oranges and so are opinions, agree to disagree or get over it.
    If you love it so much, go live there. Isn't that the point? You would have been bitching for years if it had been RHCP/ Outkast/ Jack White. You finally got your Beatle boot in the door, and you're making your stand. I can dig that. I can agree that there have been plenty of lacking headliners in the past, just not every night of the weekend. Killers/ KOL/ Muse were all bands I could afford to miss. Kanye West was also a pretty disappointing headliner, though I was pretty excited to see him. It has little to do with where the band comes from, and everything to do with how worthy they are to headline. If they were worthy headliners, they would each have their own day to headline. Your inability to agree seems to be your ultimate downfall. You don't have to like someone to agree that they have a point. People in the UK, and the Balding American Anglophile (BAA), can and should have The Stone Blurillaz. No one is saying they don't have a place at the show. I'm saying that they, much like Phoenix/ RHCP/ KOL/ The Killers/ The Black Keys are taking up headliner space for more worthy acts. RHCP being billed, you have to accept them as a headliner. If they are at Coachella, they will headline. Phoenix/ Blur/ Stone Roses are arguably, yet decidedly, weak. OH NOEZ! ITZ A HIPSTERZ! Take a number, and give it a rest. A technical cease fire until someone else chimes in.

If you love it so much, go live there. Isn't that the point? You would have been bitching for years if it had been RHCP/ Outkast/ Jack White. You finally got your Beatle boot in the door, and you're making your stand. I can dig that. I can agree that there have been plenty of lacking headliners in the past, just not every night of the weekend. Killers/ KOL/ Muse were all bands I could afford to miss. Kanye West was also a pretty disappointing headliner, though I was pretty excited to see him. It has little to do with where the band comes from, and everything to do with how worthy they are to headline. If they were worthy headliners, they would each have their own day to headline. Your inability to agree seems to be your ultimate downfall. You don't have to like someone to agree that they have a point. People in the UK, and the Balding American Anglophile (BAA), can and should have The Stone Blurillaz. No one is saying they don't have a place at the show. I'm saying that they, much like Phoenix/ RHCP/ KOL/ The Killers/ The Black Keys are taking up headliner space for more worthy acts. RHCP being billed, you have to accept them as a headliner. If they are at Coachella, they will headline. Phoenix/ Blur/ Stone Roses are arguably, yet decidedly, weak. OH NOEZ! ITZ A HIPSTERZ! Take a number, and give it a rest. A technical cease fire until someone else chimes in.
    Zafocaine I love all the hits to my character. I am actually a mid 30s African American male who gets judged before I even open my mouth and the music is one way that I prove people wrong. I love all the ways you put me down like the pretend girlfriend, the Dr Who, and all the things about British people that are just dumb stereotypes. I came on here to discuss music and make fun of and allude to that but you cant even stay on point you spend time throwing shots at me. Its laughable and shows your immaturity. Thats why you got called a Hipster because that is what you are acting like.

Zafocaine I love all the hits to my character. I am actually a mid 30s African American male who gets judged before I even open my mouth and the music is one way that I prove people wrong. I love all the ways you put me down like the pretend girlfriend, the Dr Who, and all the things about British people that are just dumb stereotypes. I came on here to discuss music and make fun of and allude to that but you cant even stay on point you spend time throwing shots at me. Its laughable and shows your immaturity. Thats why you got called a Hipster because that is what you are acting like.

Zafocaine. I would save the princess in record time and be right up front for Blur and Stone Roses while you spend the day in the beer gardens bitching the reasons they shoudn't be there.

Zafocaine. I would save the princess in record time and be right up front for Blur and Stone Roses while you spend the day in the beer gardens bitching the reasons they shoudn't be there.
    Haha something like that. I'm that guy who cuts through the crowd to that shining opening with no line, scooping up two brews, and filing out the other side in record time. I'll probably end up seeing at least Blur, unless Jurassic 5, Lou Reed, Modest Mouse, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs have anything to say about it (which they most certainly will). I'm actually pretty excited for Friday. It's enjoyable to shoot the shit about what you believe, regardless of where you'll be when it happens. That's how I see it, anyway.

Just a side note. I heard about a contest for Lolla where you get to go backstage and meet the Black Keys and the Killers. Just saying.... I have seen both a zillion times, I am excited to the Blur and SR....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Why would anyone complain about Friday you have Grinderman which said they were done(Nick Cave), Jurassic 5 one of the great Hip Hop ensembles of the 00's reforming. Lou Reed, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse examples of great American Music and then you have the brits its all good. You know what Zafocaine you need to find me during Violent Femmes and Ill buy you a beer as we sing "American Music"

As long as the Femmes aren't up against The Descendents or Franz Ferdinand. No complaints regarding the lineup as a whole.

As long as the Femmes aren't up against The Descendents or Franz Ferdinand. No complaints regarding the lineup as a whole.
    considering my music past, most would think the Femmes are a given. FF puts on a killer (LV style) show. Not to be missed.....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I saw the Violent Femmes at a free show in Del Mar. I'm not going to miss Franz Ferdinand, so it's in the best interest of the VFs to not conflict with them. Two weekends to make it all happen though!

The year without headliners has at least 3 arena artists on Friday (Trent, Passion Pit, Bassnectar, Skrillex) and Saturday (Phoenix, Sigur Ros, Maynard, Ben Gibbard), and a multi-night arena act on Sunday.

Passion Pit, "arena"? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Last time Passion Pit were in Portland they played the same venue Flying Lotus played the day before. Maybe they are bigger now. I dunno.

I wouldn't call em "arena" artists, but they are playing MSG. Which I find to be very odd.