Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Default Re: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Quote Originally Posted by DJroomba View Post
    Phoenix---->France---->DAFT PUNK!!!!

Wasn't there a south park episode where they tied together barely related things like that?

As cool as that would be, it seems like a major leap. I think it might be batshit. No offense intended however
    Something like the underpants gnomes?

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donomyte View Post
    Yawn. Just another try-hard. How bout you try hard to blow Magic Johnson...?
    I was hoping to squeeze some relevance out of you, resulting in multiple worthless posts from both of us. You've become a straight-to-AIDS tv movie with that last post. Continue with your cum fantasies. I'm sure that's the ticket.

While I haven't enjoyed any of their recent music, the lone time I've seen RHCP, they put on a great show. Granted, it was at an unusually small venue for them (too small for anyone on the top 2 lines - and this was just before Californication), but they played very few hits or singles and just rocked out. The whole place was a mosh pit - it was amazing.

I don't expect that now, but crappy radio singles aside, they are still a good band and maybe they'll throw in some older material and get a good nostalgia buzz going for a lot of the 30-ups like me.

$.02

interesting enough, GV saved millions of dollars and are still going to sell out.

And the pre-sales for 2014 will sell out because the assumptions that it really can't get any worse than this year.

Well played, Tollet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Smashmouth is the one Guy Fieri is in.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    interesting enough, GV saved millions of dollars and are still going to sell out.

And the pre-sales for 2014 will sell out because the assumptions that it really can't get any worse than this year.

Well played, Tollet.
    That wasn't the plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Don't really give a shit about the headliners, this lineup is bosssssss. There's gonna be plenty to do all day instead of waiting around the campgrounds for nightfall to see the good shit. Fuck the headliners. There'll be amazing shows going on at the same time as RHCP and Stone Roses/Blur. Will I have to be a Phoenix though just to see if DP miracles happen?????????
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero23 View Post
    tl;dr: ACID.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    That wasn't the plan.
    Regardless, it still works out just fine for them.

I love that everyone assumes The Stone Roses and Blur are basically cheap headliners. Yeah, they are not getting Roger Waters and Prince money, but I'm sure it's closer to the 2011 headliners (minus Kanye) than people want to believe.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

But to say its a cash grabbed on their part is false. or to imply.
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 01-26-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Stone Roses, Blur, Phoenix, RHCP...

or

Black Keys, Radiohead, Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg...

Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Kanye West, The Strokes...

Jay Z, Muse, the Gorillaz...

Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by sabellard View Post
    Call me a conspiracy theorist but...

That random leaked app notification originally said the Rolling Stones would be playing on the Friday of Coachella. The current bill has two British rock groups headlining Friday (The Stone Roses, and Blur). For an event that is so good about not having their lineup information leak, that seems like such an unlikely gaffe. Furthermore, why would that information even exist if the Rolling Stones had not already signed a contract to perform.
    The app meant nothing unless you believe the Rolling Stones played a movie theatre in Long Island on Dec 27th and took the stage at midnight in Newark
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by themonstermash View Post
    Stone Roses, Blur, Phoenix, RHCP...

or

Black Keys, Radiohead, Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg...

Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Kanye West, The Strokes...

Jay Z, Muse, the Gorillaz...

Need I say more?
    Actually, yes. Go on...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    But to say its a cash grabbed on their part is false. or to imply.
    I agree, it was wrong to assume they saved millions. But I do feel it's safe to assume they saved a lot of money by comparing this years and last years headliners and subs. And I still don't think it'll have a major effect on presale tickets for 2014, maybe it'll take an hour or two more but it'll still sell out quickly.

It works out fine this year for GV; money is already in the bank. But let's be honest, the secondary market for Coachella tickets will be flooded this year. Overall this hurts their brand. In their 'off' year without headlines, other festivals will clamour for the business of those who would normally go to Coachella. Last year they were essentially able to sell out this years festival 11 months out (I'm very surprised that they didn't limit tickets to allow for some GA & VIP for weekend 1 - outside of the few that remain with a shuttle pass or camping). Yes, there is a gamble in buying tickets for a festival so far in advance, but with Coachella in the past it's been a safe bet. There line-up is usually solid from top to bottom. Not so for this year. It's still an incredibly stacked line-up, but it's seriously lacking in headliners.

I get The Stone Roses & Blur for Friday. That is a unique 'get'. Phoenix? That's a bit of a gamble. I really enjoy them, but they've only had one album. It's the RHCP that really pisses me off. What a JOKE! The Coachella weekend builds to a grand finale. Why didn't they do what Governor's Ball did and black it out until they signed an act worthy of closing out the weekend? Not only have RHCP already played twice, but they're coming off of a two year world tour, where they headlined almost every other festival and they have no new material.

I'm very disappointed in GV's lack of originality. My only hope is that unlike when Gorillaz took the stage in 2010, they'll still be acts playing elsewhere (not just in the Sahara). Either that, or it'll be an early night for me.

One of the reasons Coachella has been so successful is the building of their brand, they've built up the hype around strong artists top to bottom. If there are no changes to the headlining acts, this will definitely have an impact on their bottom line in the years ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    It works out fine this year for GV; money is already in the bank. But let's be honest, the secondary market for Coachella tickets will be flooded this year. Overall this hurts their brand. In their 'off' year without headlines, other festivals will clamour for the business of those who would normally go to Coachella. Last year they were essentially able to sell out this years festival 11 months out (I'm very surprised that they didn't limit tickets to allow for some GA & VIP for weekend 1 - outside of the few that remain with a shuttle pass or camping). Yes, there is a gamble in buying tickets for a festival so far in advance, but with Coachella in the past it's been a safe bet. There line-up is usually solid from top to bottom. Not so for this year. It's still an incredibly stacked line-up, but it's seriously lacking in headliners.

I get The Stone Roses & Blur for Friday. That is a unique 'get'. Phoenix? That's a bit of a gamble. I really enjoy them, but they've only had one album. It's the RHCP that really pisses me off. What a JOKE! The Coachella weekend builds to a grand finale. Why didn't they do what Governor's Ball did and black it out until they signed an act worthy of closing out the weekend? Not only have RHCP already played twice, but they're coming off of a two year world tour, where they headlined almost every other festival and they have no new material.

I'm very disappointed in GV's lack of originality. My only hope is that unlike when Gorillaz took the stage in 2010, they'll still be acts playing elsewhere (not just in the Sahara). Either that, or it'll be an early night for me.

One of the reasons Coachella has been so successful is the building of their brand, they've built up the hype around strong artists top to bottom. If there are no changes to the headlining acts, this will definitely have an impact on their bottom line in the years ahead.
    Yeah well said.

Do you think there will be any changes to the headliners or that's that, set in concrete.

Also, do you have any idea what other bands will be closing out the festival on each night apart from the headliners. I'd much rather see James Blake close the festival to be honest, or Disclosure with Jessie Ware coming out on stage...

When I saw RHCP discussed as a possible headliner I thought people were simply trolling... Its devastating to see it actually come true.

Really can't tell if you're being serious.

Quote Originally Posted by themonstermash View Post
    Yeah well said.

Do you think there will be any changes to the headliners or that's that, set in concrete.

Also, do you have any idea what other bands will be closing out the festival on each night apart from the headliners. I'd much rather see James Blake close the festival to be honest, or Disclosure with Jessie Ware coming out on stage...

When I saw RHCP discussed as a possible headliner I thought people were simply trolling... Its devastating to see it actually come true.
    I thought RHCP were a joke too!

I dunno about them adding another headliner; they haven't done that since 2008 when ticket sales were stalling. In the saturated market of music festivals that exists now, it would be a smart move for future years. But like many on here have said before, why spend more money on headliners when you've already sold out the show?
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

Really can't tell if you're being serious.
    I really like Phoenix! I thoroughly enjoyed their first album, and thought their set on the Outdoor in 2010 was great. But I also liked MGMT's first album, thought their second was bleh and thankfully missed their stinker of a set in 2010. Without hearing Phoenix's second album, don't you think making them a headliner is a bit of a gamble? Keeping in mind they are billed the same as Radiohead was last year.

I really like Phoenix! I thoroughly enjoyed their first album, and thought their set on the Outdoor in 2010 was great. But I also liked MGMT's first album, thought their second was bleh and thankfully missed their stinker of a set in 2010. Without hearing Phoenix's second album, don't you think making them a headliner is a bit of a gamble? Keeping in mind they are billed the same as Radiohead was last year.
    He's saying that because they've had four albums, not one. This upcoming album will be their fifth. Although to be fair, only one was huge in the States.

I think they are taking a gamble on Phoenix too, but if that album yields a couple singles as big as 1901 and Lisztomania, this will look infinitely better by April than it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    He's saying that because they've had four albums, not one. This upcoming album will be their fifth. Although to be fair, only one was huge in the States.

I think they are taking a gamble on Phoenix too, but if that album yields a couple singles as big as 1901 and Lisztomania, this will look infinitely better by April than it does now.
    Ah, fair enough. I stand corrected.

I thought about the MGMT comparison earlier as well. Even though Phoenix had several prior albums before WAP, they were largely unknown in the US and those albums got virtually no airplay or attention, so a fair number of people actually think WAP was their first. WAP and Oracular Spectacular were similar in that they both broke the band big, had a couple huge singles and a couple other minor ones that got airplay. MGMT played in 2008 on the strength of OS success. Phoenix played in 2010 when WAP was peaking.

What would the reaction have been in 2010 if MGMT had been named a headliner on the strength of OS, a few big singles and the promise of a second unknown album (we all know how that turned out)? Answer: Lots of laughter.

Is there much difference in Phoenix headlining on the strength of one big album with a few singles and the promise of an unknown follow-up to WAP?

And yes, I know the comparison isn't perfect given that Phoenix has a longer history and 3 albums prior to WAP. But they're actually very similar in terms of airplay/sales/critical aclaim/popular draw/exposure in the US if you start the Phoenix timeline at WAP.

Agreed. I think that's an apt comparison. I honestly thought WAP was their first record until recently. I've still never heard any of their prior work. They did have probably the largest crowd I've ever seen at the Outdoor in 2010, dwarfing the Pavement crowd on the main, but probably a lot of that were gatecrashers.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

So what would actually happen if say.....Bonnaroo had Daft Punk......

Quote Originally Posted by stephen22 View Post
    So what would actually happen if say.....Bonnaroo had Daft Punk......
    GV would be a laughingstock

Ladies and gents, here is the setlist from your sunday night headliner!*

http://open.spotify.com/user/bemerri...oVWS8BQlD8Jqg5

*this is based off of their setlist from yesterday
    **no, i do not intend on seeing them

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Ladies and gents, here is the setlist from your sunday night headliner!*

http://open.spotify.com/user/bemerri...oVWS8BQlD8Jqg5

*this is based off of their setlist from yesterday
    **no, i do not intend on seeing them
    That setlist is just pure drivel.

It's all their hits plus stuff from the new album, what the fuck were you expecting.

"THEY DIDN'T PLAY ANYTHING FROM ONE HOT MINUTE GODFUCKING DAMMIT"

At least play Breaking the Girl

I feel sorry for anyone who has to even be near a RHCP show this year. Oh wait...