Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Default Re: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    Phoenix is Bankrupt, which probably means GV got them for very cheap.
    every one of your posts is gold.

YAWN. Stop complaining and don't fucking go. Less-crowded-chella 2013!
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

Quote Originally Posted by niksterg11 View Post
    every one of your posts is gold.
    Can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donuteater View Post
    the headliners are weak. EXCEPT for RHCP, the fuck is wrong with you guys? how do you not like them? real talk. you fags are just mad that you cant see daft punk. quit bitchin
    i can't remember is this reportable?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.
    If you think he's being serious, then something is clearly wrong with you. The rest of us know something is wrong with you. We were waiting for the realization to catch up with you, but I had to go and ruin the surprise. Woops.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    If you think he's being serious, then something is clearly wrong with you. The rest of us know something is wrong with you. We were waiting for the realization to catch up with you, but I had to go and ruin the surprise. Woops.
    LOL. Who is us? As I recall everyone else on the board thinks you're a piece of shit methhead.
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

LOL. Who is us? As I recall everyone else on the board thinks you're a piece of shit methhead.
    It speaks volumes of them, doesn't it? I'm one of the only pieces of shit on this board who doesn't have a hole-littered brain from meth/ e use. Go figure, it's all they can come up with when trying to do me bad. Almost like meth abuse leaves you calling other people meth heads when you can't build your torts properly. Glad you could LOL, as I was being sarcastic (twat).

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    All I wanted about this poster was to not see RHCP on it... THAT'S ALL I WANTED... I would have taken pretty much anyone else this year. ANYONE. Jesus Paul. WHY?!
    ughs.. okay, I'll get over it.

/rant
    THIS

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    It's all about the money. GV did not want to shell out big bucks for big acts knowing that it would sell out anyways.
    Interesting point. They clearly scrimped on the headliners, and even though there are more bands overall and a quality undercard, there really aren't many acts that would be considered bigger-payday types. They either made a conscious decision to cut back the talent budget and scrape as much profit as possible out of the overwhelming demand and guaranteed sellout, or they were stuck in a situation where they just couldn't get any of the bigger names they wanted. Or maybe the latter reality convinced them to accept the former, if they didn't think the big-paycheck bands available were worth the money or would add much value to the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by wompwomp View Post
    and especially with how small the crowd was during Pulp! It was dead. It is going to be amazing to see how dead the mainstage is Friday night.
    This is going to be an embarrassment for both GV and the bands themselves when they realize what a dud Friday night turns out to be. 4 straight hours of prime-time main-stage real estate wasted on bands that should be on the Outdoor or Mojave. You'll have a few thousand Brits and other various furriners, a few thousand die-hard Muricans, and then tons of empty green grass. Putting aside my opinion of both bands as boring and pedestrian, it's poor form for the festival to have a sparsely populated lackluster crowd on the main stage for that peak period.

Imagine the crowd for Dre/Snoop or Radiohead, and then divide that by 10.

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    rhcp has literally a 0% chance of doing anything memorable
    Lyrics rhyming with state names aren't memorable?
    Last edited by mrhand; 01-25-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayXMonsta View Post
    The xx would have been as big as headliner as Blur or The Stone Roses... Really weak headliners imo amazing lineup though.
    I think YYY's shouldve been a headliner.

will there even be this many people there Friday night? i honestly don't think so...

cannot believe we're going from fucking DR. DRE closing the weekend to the Chili Peppers...fuck

This is going to be an embarrassment for both GV and the bands themselves when they realize what a dud Friday night turns out to be. 4 straight hours of prime-time main-stage real estate wasted on bands that should be on the Outdoor or Mojave. You'll have a few thousand Brits and other various furriners, a few thousand die-hard Muricans, and then tons of empty green grass. Putting aside my opinion of both bands as boring and pedestrian, it's poor form for the festival to have a sparsely populated lackluster crowd on the main stage for that peak period.
    I have respect for Blur and the Stone Roses, and think GV had every right to book them, but this is sort of correct. The headlining crowd is going to be small. I predict they close the outdoor a la Pulp last year to at least funnel people over there.

If this is a way of weeding out the morons that go just for the mega-huge headliners, I'm all for it... I'd rather be around people who appreciate all aspects of the lineup.

People really need to broaden their fucking horizons and quit complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

YYY's and Modest Mouse should close the mainstage with Blur and Stone Roses closing out the Outdoor. Guarantee the YYY's will have a bigger crowd than both of the Brits.

Modest Mouse is clearly the headliner for Friday. I don't think I've ever been so excited to ditch the "headliner" for the real deal. Britchella just isn't working for me. I'll listen to a couple more Blur records in their entirety, but I will still very likely not be there to see the live. I'm not much of a Radiohead fan, but even I had to stand there and watch them. Stone Roses/ Blur? Fuck that. I'm glad you guys who like them are happy and getting excited for their sets, but I would suck Coachella's tits off for a real headliner on Friday of Weekend 2. Now, does anyone else wonder how YYYs got such high standing for this? They basically blew last time they were at Coachella, and haven't released anything of note since. Is this how it works? As long as you technically exist four years later, you will be bumped up? Beyonce and JT should have headlined Friday/ Saturday. Someone had to take it there. WHY, GV? WHYYYYYYYY?!?!?! Ah, fuck it. I'll check out whoever is still playing when MM finish their set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    If this is a way of weeding out the morons that go just for the mega-huge headliners, I'm all for it... I'd rather be around people who appreciate all aspects of the lineup.

So then.... people wearing neon indian headdresses covered in dayglo paint, shirtless, sweating the drugs out on a cool desert night? Get fycked. Get fycked in the fycking ear, mother fycker.

The headliners almost don't matter. And I am sure most of the bands I want to see will play Coachella West aka the FYF festival in August.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

This is website is hilarious. Reminds me of who is arcade fire.

http://whoarethestoneroses.tumblr.com

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    13 - War On Drugs - 50 Kent
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    17 - 19 - The National - Prospect
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    21 - Bill Maher - Capitol
    22 - Dave Chapelle - Radio City
    24 - Dave Chapelle & The Roots - Radio City
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

Goldenvoice has balls for putting Blur and the Stone Roses at the top of the bill and should be commended for it. As the biggest, most prestigious fest in the US, they have that power to define what is a headliner.
    Glastonbury has been doing it for years (although not so much lately), and Coachella should have done it last year with Pulp or, although I hate them, Swedish House Mafia.

Blur already has the track record to ease any concerns that they won't be a flop like Jack Johnson or Glasto's Happy Mondays or Shalespear's Sister.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Goldenvoice has balls for putting Blur and the Stone Roses at the top of the bill and should be commended for it. As the biggest, most prestigious fest in the US, they have that power to define what is a headliner.
    Glastonbury has been doing it for years (although not so much lately), and Coachella should have done it last year with Pulp or, although I hate them, Swedish House Mafia.

Blur already has the track record to ease any concerns that they won't be a flop like Jack Johnson or Glasto's Happy Mondays or Shalespear's Sister.
    This is spot on and I hope that Goldenvoice continues to do this in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    This is website is hilarious. Reminds me of who is arcade fire.

http://whoarethestoneroses.tumblr.com
    Lol. Since I live out here in the valley, a lot of facebook posts were asking the same question.

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

This. The lineup is awesome. RHCP are less than desirable. Do you think the two weekend Coachella is interfering with the process of locking down solid headliners (Sat/Sun)?

A bit self serving but I think the Coachella BOARD has more music knowledge than some ...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Given the choice, I'd take a commercially weaker but musically legit headliner over something popular but horrible if someone like Daft Punk can't get their shit together.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

while this did cross my mind, and I see your point, Coachella isn't Glasto.

Coachella got to expand to 2 weekends because of all the EDM fucktards and attention for grabbing HEADLINERS like RATM, Prince, Radiohead, Kanye & Dr. Dre. we did see them take bands such as the Black Keys & Arcade Fire and make them headliners, which works when you also have such acts as Radiohead & Dre on the bill.

plain and simple, if they want to be like Glasto, fine, but make it one weekend again. don't be greedy and get 2 weekends worth of money out of people for acts that can be seen on tour this year pretty much everywhere. the WOW factor is what made Coachella special, and is what will keep it 2 weekends if it lasts...

edit - and RHCP...fuck ALL logic for them. not good, played everywhere, just lazy...it's gotta be their last shows or some shit

cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

It's already become the new Glasto. The hype, rumors, media attention, artwork, scramble for tickets, the rite of Passage status, and the value of "the experience" over the music for so many in attendance.

GV didn't make Arcade Fire a headliner in 2011; they already were by 2010. Well, they were a de facto headliner in 2008, if that's what you mean.
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-25-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Maybe it's time to start selling single day tickets again.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    Coachella got to expand to 2 weekends because of all the EDM fucktards and attention for grabbing HEADLINERS like RATM, Prince, Radiohead, Kanye & Dr. Dre. we did see them take bands such as the Black Keys & Arcade Fire and make them headliners, which works when you also have such acts as Radiohead & Dre on the bill.

plain and simple, if they want to be like Glasto, fine, but make it one weekend again. don't be greedy and get 2 weekends worth of money out of people for acts that can be seen on tour this year pretty much everywhere. the WOW factor is what made Coachella special, and is what will keep it 2 weekends if it lasts...
    The counter argument to this is that 2011 was the event that convinced them they had the demand for 2 weeks in the first place, and they had...who exactly? Kanye who is huge but incredibly divisive, and then Arcade Fire/KOL/Strokes which, without Kanye, is about as exciting as this year's headliners. And the "EDM fucktard" draws were two solo members of SHM before SHM was even that popular, and what, Shpongle? The big rare reunions were a disco punk group with one album and the Mexican version of the Cure?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved 2011's lineup, but it's not like that was some gigantic mainstream extravaganza. 2012 was an anomaly with the big name EDM acts, which was speculated as a ticket selling hedge in case two weekends failed. Anybody who is demanding that type of lineup can only look to, oh, I don't know, every other year ever to see that was the exception, not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post

THIS. Most definitely