Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Default Re: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

The Stone Roses/Blur double headliner is actually really cool in my opinion....and the fact that Grinderman, Lou Reed, Modest Mouse, J5, and YYYs lead into that sounds even better.

With that being said, I am still shocked that we are getting Stone Roses and Blur as the headliner after how low Pulp was billed last year.

whiney pain in butt

RHCP is just lazy. There is no reason at all they should be headlining this year. So many other bands who can prove themselves for headlining status, and just as many new acts out there still never chosen to headline. They have already extensively toured this past year, they live in LA there is nothing special or new to do as a headliner for them. Yet, we have to listen to Scar tissue and other crappy songs once again from the mainstage. GRRRRR! fuck them and GV for being so damn lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    Not even Glastonbury? Doubt that.
    Glastonbury doesn't pay enough. The Stones are far beyond taking any gig just for the prestige. Pulling in $8 million a gig for arena shows set a new standard for how they are going to approach things in the future.

They are only doing about 10-20 gigs in 2013, for absolute top dollar. So Coachella, Glastonbury, etc are out.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

RHCP is the equivalent of the midnight clean up set on the bar scene. You gotta have someone playing because there are still people hanging out and buying drinks but most people are heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen22 View Post
    With that being said, I am still shocked that we are getting Stone Roses and Blur as the headliner after how low Pulp was billed last year.
    and especially with how small the crowd was during Pulp! It was dead. It is going to be amazing to see how dead the mainstage is Friday night.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    RHCP is the equivalent of the midnight clean up set on the bar scene. You gotta have someone playing because there are still people hanging out and buying drinks but most people are heading out.
    To the point and 100% true. The best perspective on this booking yet.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Hey guys, here is a thought, maybe Blur and Stone Roses were asked to headline after the Rolling Stones didn't pan out....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    I mean, whatever. I was never going for the headliners. But it's still striking to me how weak the four we got are - of them I can only really consider Red Hot Chili Peppers a viable option.

What happened here?
    Didn't I say RHCP and Modest Mouse? Not sure how Blurillaz and Stone Roses beat out Modest Mouse, considering Song 2 is the only song I know by either of them without youtubing. Either way, I'll be there. Hopefully with rocks on.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Hey guys, here is a thought, maybe Blur and Stone Roses were asked to headline after the Rolling Stones didn't pan out....
    I dont think anybody is complaining about friday's lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    I dont think anybody is complaining about friday's lineup.
    but people are complaining about the headliners...
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I just think it's hilarious that EVERYONE was CONVINCED that blur wouldn't headline, phoenix couldn't headline by themselves, and RHCP would be a cop-out. AND ALL OF THAT HAPPENED! Hahahah, in your face board hipsters.

? I don't understand....wouldn't hispters be happy with Blur and Phoenix headlining?

old school

Anybody complaining about Friday's headliners shouldn't attend at all. Saturday & Sunday's headliner are lackluster but entertaining to some folks. Goldenvoice wins the fans are satisfied and for one year finally the scalpers will lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso View Post
    Blur + Stone Roses though? No albums or singles ever in US top 45. Not current, not legends, almost no US success in their day, not reuniting for the first time in ages or anything. Putting the 2 of them together doesn't solve those problems.
    Seriously? The Stone Roses ARE legends and anyone with good music taste would know this. Period. Lack of a decent headliner that YOU consider worthy is laughable at this point.
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

whiney pain in butt

Blur * The Stone Roses * Phoenix are all fine. I don't get that part. I'm not surprised or upset that any of them are playing. Just irked about RHCP.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    Blur * The Stone Roses * Phoenix are all fine. I don't get that part. I'm not surprised or upset that any of them are playing. Just irked about RHCP.
    While I agree, the undercard is so amazing and conflict ridden that I don't care. I might even take in a RHCP song or 2 depending on the set times.

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMel View Post
    Seriously? The Stone Roses ARE legends and anyone with good music taste would know this. Period.
    THIS.

On another note I went to the Walkmen show in SLC with some pals and one of them mentioned some pretty wild ideas for this concert. One of which was that GV had lost so much money on the cruise that they are intentionally booking sub par headliners. I swear... if GV keeps this price tag, does another cruise that barely sells, and then leaves us high and dry on quality headliners... I'll be pretty peeved.

the comment(s) of how Daft and Rolling stones backed out at the end and RHCP was a quick filler... totally agree.

I still think they are going to add something for Saturday headliner wise. I have the feeling that they kept delaying the announcement because they are still finalizing 1 or 2 contracts. who knows though.

Finally, I'm totally happy with this. I feel like the price hike isn't warranted at all, but since I've already bought my tickets... I'm super stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

There's going to be an announcement the second weekend stating that Coachella will NOT be back in 2014. A note to everyone threatening not to enjoy this Coachella--- it will be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    Honestly, I just don't get why they would go with RHCP over Pearl Jam. It makes zero sense. The only explanation would be an irrational one, ie. Goldenvoice has a grudge against Eddie Vedder for trying to taking legal action against ticket master.
    what i want to know is why the fuck they didnt just call jay z and kanye? i mean, fuck, how obvious is that for a backup plan? the masses love them, and they would end the festival on a good note.

i mean for fucks sake, at least put in Blur to close the festival and hope they kill it. rhcp has literally a 0% chance of doing anything memorable

Why are we all so quick to assume RHCP were a last minute replacement? Yes I am appalled by the booking considering it's A. Lazy and B. a joke without John on guitar...but They have great ties with Paul T and the festival. Maybe they were meant to be the Friday band with The Stone Roses or Blur as the opener. A bigger act was probably planned for Sunday with the other Brit band opening. I think it makes more sense that Stone Roses/Blur was last minute.

Once again...I am super excited for Stone Roses/Blur and super not excited at all or RHCP.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    but people are complaining about the headliners...
    Well they shouldn't be.
    My Arcade Fire Brooklyn review
    @cloneradio

Coachella '10, '11, '12 Weekend 1, '13 Weekend 1, '14 Weekend 1
    Lollapalooza '08, '12, '13
    Bonnaroo '13
    Sarsfest' 03
    Rock Am Ring '06
    Download Festival '06
    Novarock '06
    Rock The Bells '07
    Orion Festival '12
    Made In America '12, '13
    Laneway Detroit '13

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    what i want to know is why the fuck they didnt just call jay z and kanye? i mean, fuck, how obvious is that for a backup plan? the masses love them, and they would end the festival on a good note.

i mean for fucks sake, at least put in Blur to close the festival and hope they kill it. rhcp has literally a 0% chance of doing anything memorable
    Frusciante playing a one off is the only chance they have to leave a mark, but I highly doubt that would happen, so probably just another show for them. Not very exciting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post

RHCP are the only headliner listed as a headliner. If you think Phoenix are a headliner, then you haven't heard them. I think the fact that the XX are billed so high shows that Coachella has run out of ideas. The XX are one of the most garbage bands people have been speculating to play Coachella. A waste of concert space for the two or three tolerable songs they have. RHCP is actually sort of genius. I was a fan of theirs in the 90s, as were a lot of you. We grew up, and RHCP kept making music unfortunately. The people who like RHCP now think that Stadium Arcadium was a great album, which, compared to their previous efforts, is absolutely false. I'm going to be wanting RHCP from the movie Thrashin. Not RHCP wearing emo socks on their arms. We'll see how it turns out though, apparently. Looking forward to see them, socks on their cocks, or socks on their arms. Let's have a good double weekend, ya'lls.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    All I wanted about this poster was to not see RHCP on it... THAT'S ALL I WANTED... I would have taken pretty much anyone else this year. ANYONE. Jesus Paul. WHY?!
    ughs.. okay, I'll get over it.

/rant

^^^ You speak for a legion of us. Fuck, they might as well threw Nickelback up there - I would have been equally disappointed.

you guys see shitty headliners..

i see a couple less conflicts at night..

I've got to see Blur, though. If all you know is "Song 2" then you should dig into their back catalogue a little deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by donomyte View Post
    ^^^ You speak for a legion of us. Fuck, they might as well threw Nickelback up there - I would have been equally disappointed.
    They should have put Nickelback on the outdoor to close out the night counter RHCP and successfully drive a steak through the Legion's heart all at once. Having grown up with RHCP, I don't see how you could even compare them to Creed-like rockers Nickelback. Consider NOT buying tickets now, as you clearly missed the presale and will be taking up a happy persons spot if you end up going.

Phoenix is the default festival headliner of 2013. You will see them headline Bonnaroo or Lolla or maybe even both. Get used to it folks.

Quote Originally Posted by theecat View Post
    On another note I went to the Walkmen show in SLC with some pals and one of them mentioned some pretty wild ideas for this concert. One of which was that GV had lost so much money on the cruise that they are intentionally booking sub par headliners. I swear... if GV keeps this price tag, does another cruise that barely sells, and then leaves us high and dry on quality headliners... I'll be pretty peeved.

the comment(s) of how Daft and Rolling stones backed out at the end and RHCP was a quick filler... totally agree.

I still think they are going to add something for Saturday headliner wise. I have the feeling that they kept delaying the announcement because they are still finalizing 1 or 2 contracts. who knows though.
    A majority of this is incorrect.

Phoenix is Bankrupt, which probably means GV got them for very cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

The Stones didn't back out because they never were in.