Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Default Re: 2013: The Year Without Headliners

Zafocaine, I think the chasm between your definition of sold-out and that of others' is simply that you consider an event not sold-out as long as even one secondary ticket is on sale because that means there's one attendee less than the maximum capacity. Others consider sold-out as in if GV has sold out their stock of tickets or not.
    It's basically two shifted stances along one trajectory.
    HTH.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I am giving this one last try, and if you can't understand it, you can't understand it.

Let's say they had a hypothetical third weekend. Based on the time it took two weekends to sell out (under 24 hours), you would be correct if your argument was that they would not be able to instantly sell out three weekends. You are making an assumption based on one year of data (2012) that a sell-out is only possible in the first day, and that if it takes longer than 24 hours, then it won't sell out.

The truth is that all this proves is that to get into the first two weekends, you would have to be so gung-ho about the decision that you a) would have bought it pre-lineup during the pre-sale, or b) would buy it within 24 hours, and take time off work, buy hotels, plane tickets, etc after. There are many more people who may not pull the plug immediately on a festival of this size, but after a couple weeks of analyzing the lineup, comparing hotel fares and plane tickets, roping in friends/getting permission from parents, and making sure they can take the time off work, would eventually buy tickets. They will not be able to get into Coachella as it is structured now, but that does not remove them from under the category of "demand" for additional weekends that Paul was referring to.

In 2011, Coachella took 6 days to sell out. In 2010, it took months and months. In 2008, it didn't even sell out. So, clearly, in many past Coachellas, the majority of attendees were actually from the second group, the group that took their time.

All that you are able to prove from your "data" is that there are only enough "die-hard, we're going no matter what!" attendees to fill two weekends. Do you realize how silly it is to make a claim that there is no way another weekend would have sold out since it took twoweekends less than 24 hours to sell out, especially when in the past it took months to sell out a Coachella? You are making the claim that if an event does not sell-out instantly, it will not sell out.

Like I said, if you can't get it, you can't get it. Whatever.
    It's a shame such a cohesive and well thought argument was wasted on such an insufferable twat. You should save your keystrokes for worthy causes Travel.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidL View Post
    Zafocaine, I think the chasm between your definition of sold-out and that of others' is simply that you consider an event not sold-out as long as even one secondary ticket is on sale because that means there's one attendee less than the maximum capacity. Others consider sold-out as in if GV has sold out their stock of tickets or not.
    It's basically two shifted stances along one trajectory.
    HTH.
    There was no difference in understanding. The simple reality is that this year isn't as successful a year. It's still Coachella, so it has a massive draw world-wide, but the lineup isn't very impressive. For someone who is pretty local to the show, this is the best festival. I would have to spend a lot more to find a better festival this year, but it would easily be done. GV will get some outrageous acts next year that stubhub will be notified of, so they'll maintain their "SOLD OUT" reputation, but let's not shit ourselves:

Coachella 2013- NOT A SELL OUT- Tickets still available. Not just one ticket. Thousands of tickets.

So last year was not sold out either.

LOL at the idea of GV notifying Stubhub about the bands that they book
    Zafo is easily the biggest moron to ever post on this board

Do ticket brokers not count as actual people? Because I'm pretty sure they bought a ticket, doesn't matter if their intention was to re-sell it.

You're retreading old ground as far as Zafo's concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    So last year was not sold out either.
    Tell me... Who got stuck with tickets? If last year, according to my definition, was not a sell out... then who got burned? Gv? Stubhub? Scalpers?

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    LOL at the idea of GV notifying Stubhub about the bands that they book
    Zafo is easily the biggest moron to ever post on this board
    Because Stubhub is going to blindly stick their necks out on a set bulk of tickets next year after a lineup that made this year's set bulk impossible to sell? You sir, are fucking stupid. This is why almost none of you own businesses, and nearly all of you are poor, and will leave your family with debt when you die.
    Last edited by Zafocaine; 03-05-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Because Stubhub is going to blindly stick their necks out on a set bulk of tickets next year after a lineup that made this year's set bulk impossible to sell? You sir, are fucking stupid. This is why almost none of you own businesses, and nearly all of you are poor, and will leave your family with debt when you die.
    So wait you think stubhub buys the tickets and resells them???? You know thats not how it works at all right?

Like I said biggest moron on the board

heres how you get Zafo to shut up....

General Admission On-sale is officially sold out.

Still care to argue?
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

yeah, i'm sure no one's tried that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

crickets..... crickets..... and Zafo has left the building.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Uhh... good one? 'Ron.

This year pretty much confirmed for me that Headliners have zero influence on how much I enjoy Coachella.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    This year pretty much confirmed for me that Headliners have zero influence on how much I enjoy Coachella.
    The headliners are whoever you close out the fest with really.

For me it was Blur/Sigur Ros/Nick Cave.

Brilliant set of headliners imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    The headliners are whoever you close out the fest with really.

For me it was Blur/Sigur Ros/Nick Cave.

Brilliant set of headliners imo.
    Pretty much. Modest Mouse/ YYYs>Phoenix/RKelly/DaftPunk(lol)>Nick Cave/ Wu/ RHCP

They hooked it up so that you can enjoy the night whether you like the headliners or not. Pretty perfect.