Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Predict The 2014 Headliners A Year In Advance

Default Re: Predict The 2014 Headliners A Year In Advance

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Ugh... This last week has officially gotten my hopes up for a Nine Inch Nails / Arcade Fire / Daft Punk weekend...
    Get ready to be disappointed. Daft Punk will not only NOT play Coachella they won't play anywhere in the US until after they've announced a world tour.

Also Arcade Fire won't win a headline spot over Pearl Jam or Depeche Mode.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    I've seen them at European festivals in both incarnations... and, yes, they are huge there... (The dance tent at Electric Picnic was beyond just overflowing when 2ManyDJs played in 2006)

But when talking about an American festival it is absolutely appropriate to consider their appeal domestically.

And trying to compare the Soulwax situation to The Stone Roses... I mean... you're not even so much reaching as just grasping at imaginary straws because you REALLY want to be right.
    I'm not grasping at anything, there was huge outcry as to who the fuck are these guys all over the boards in regards to the Stone Roses (Caifanes too, though they played to a modest/small crowd). There was even that kind of reaction to Blur.

Understating the popularity of bands around the world because of limited world view is what happens at these fests.

and like it or not, the coachella demographic has become the epicenter of ignorant music fans. You seem smart enough to grasp this, yet, you think soulwax will sub-headline the MainStage...

edit*

this post was in response to your previous comment:

"No one said so, I said it's the typical American view point of "MURICA! Who cares what the rest of the world thinks"

Because Soulwax is legendary around the world and don't need new material to drum up excitement. But it's this limited field of e view that often gets people diminishing a bands popularity."

what you said above proves that you know music fests are now full of ignorant fans, yet you still say soulwax will subheadline. Do you see the problem here?
    Last edited by WhatLies; 08-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    Understating the popularity of bands around the world because of limited world view is what happens at these fests.

preach it brother

I'm not grasping at anything, there was huge outcry as to who the fuck are these guys all over the boards in regards to the Stone Roses (Caifanes too, though they played to a modest/small crowd). There was even that kind of reaction to Blur.

The difference with Stone Roses and Blur is that both have had mainstream success in the US (Blur, particularly... but both of The Stone Roses albums charted in the Billboard 100)... Trying to compare that to a band who "has played pack crowds at Hard"... Again... you're grasping here.

VigoTheCarpathian

Get ready to be disappointed. Daft Punk will not play anywhere in the US until after they've announced a world tour.
    Holy disco batman

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    The difference with Stone Roses and Blur is that both have had mainstream success in the US (Blur, particularly... but both of The Stone Roses albums charted in the Billboard 100)... Trying to compare that to a band who "has played pack crowds at Hard"... Again... you're grasping here.
    lol. The Roses have never had mainstream success. Your argument here is pretty weak... I would say that the difference is that the SR and Blur were both huge reunion acts so GV took the risk and billed them as headliners. Soulwax on the other hand, is very popular abroad, but there'd be nothing patently exclusive in booking them.

What we could use around here is another debate about "can/should Blur and/or the Stone Roses headline?"
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Where's mrhand when we need him most?

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    lol. The Roses have never had mainstream success. Your argument here is pretty weak... I would say that the difference is that the SR and Blur were both huge reunion acts so GV took the risk and billed them as headliners. Soulwax on the other hand, is very popular abroad, but there'd be nothing patently exclusive in booking them.
    Second Stone Roses album peaked at 47 on the Billboard top 200... that is "mainstream success". I'm not saying they were huge, or near as pervasive as Blur was... The point is more that Soulwax has never approached even that modest level of success in the states.

Every Coachella since 2008, see sig.

They haven't outgrown the Sahara and with the new Sahara it would be amazing if it wasn't for y'know people that go to the Sahara.
    Wonderbot, I admire your love for Soulwax. In fact, they're probably number one or two on my bucket list along with Underworld. But, please, for the sake of this board and future arguments, take a look at their placement on the poster back in '07. Fourth line - and that's following incredible releases like Nite Versions and Most of the remixes. They would be absolutely incredible in the Mojave. The energy in that tent would be comparable to Cut Copy and M83, if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    and like it or not, the coachella demographic has become the epicenter of ignorant music fans. You seem smart enough to grasp this, yet, you think soulwax will sub-headline the MainStage...

edit*

this post was in response to your previous comment:

"No one said so, I said it's the typical American view point of "MURICA! Who cares what the rest of the world thinks"

Because Soulwax is legendary around the world and don't need new material to drum up excitement. But it's this limited field of e view that often gets people diminishing a bands popularity."

what you said above proves that you know music fests are now full of ignorant fans, yet you still say soulwax will subheadline. Do you see the problem here?
    There's what I would like and what I believe. I think that's the confusion.

I wouldn't think they'd end up on the main sub headliner spot, but the Outdoor stage subheadline spot isn't out of the question.

I'm just hoping for anything but a conflict and Sahara. Because Sahara would just ruin Soulwax for me with all the dudebros

Quote Originally Posted by surfacetoair24 View Post
    Wonderbot, I admire your love for Soulwax. In fact, they're probably number one or two on my bucket list along with Underworld. But, please, for the sake of this board and future arguments, take a look at their placement on the poster back in '07. Fourth line - and that's following incredible releases like Nite Versions and Most of the remixes. They would be absolutely incredible in the Mojave. The energy in that tent would be comparable to Cut Copy and M83, if not better.
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that it would be better than Cut/Copy, M83, and The Presets, all of which I saw (Modeselektor too) and none come close to Soulwax (live)

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Sounds like it. Headlining Big Day Out with Pearl Jam and Blur in January.
    Along with at the minute I'd go for Mumford & Sons for the older group, a lot expect it and were kinda surprised they weren't there this year.

And I'd guess at NIN/Depeche Mode - I can't chose between them.

I'd rule out The Stones myself and Daft Punk - nothing shown at all that the latter even are thinking of touring this album at the minute.

I dunno how big they are but I'll go with NMH with everyone else, QOTSA and not sure on a 3rd sub.

I also think they'll have Armin back to play ahigh slot too - possibly close out main stage

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

This was posted over in the Arcade Fire thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    More, from Facebook, for whatever it may be worth:

Big Day Out's big man Ken West has revealed some very eye-catching stuff about Arcade Fire's future plans in an interview following the line-up announcement. West said, "Arcade Fire are on a big roll up, they’re not looking at festivals. They’re looking at their own stadium shows in America." Stadium shows, woah! Why Arcade Fire are playing the BDO festivals are apparently largely down to that their friends, Pearl Jam, are doing it. West went on to say, "these are the first real shows [following the album release]. They’re doing some warm up shows as far as I know, but this is the real start of their world tour."
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I still would like to see Lady Gaga.
    You still have time to buy tickets to Lady Gaga's next teen-fling once her pop-slop LP comes out. Can we Coachella without Radio Gaga? Please? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Jesus Christ you're fucking stupid. There is no fucking formula. Only 3/14 Coachellas have had rap headliners.
    People who say there is no formula are people who have yet to figure the formula perfectly. You're the stupid one, Mr. Stupid. Wait until the lineup drops and see. It's pretty easy to call others stupid when you take ZERO risks in life. That, Mr. Stupid, makes you a loser as well. Nathanfairchild: The Stupid Loser. Chronicles of a Never-Was. It has Pulitzer written all over it, eh?

Lil Wayne/ Rolling Stones/ Daft Punk (after they announce their world tour (Including ?mystery dates? in April) in October.) Is this lineup making anyone else sick? No sympathy for the devil. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Etc.

A person who is saying that Daft Punk will announce a "world tour" in October INCLUDING "mystery dates in April" is calling someone else stupid? Right...

i admit, since my son's birth(he will be 3 next week), i haven't had as much time to keep up with all new music and what not. but when the fuck did soulwax get so popular? in 2004 i danced to the majority of 2many dj's set and the sahara was half empty. in 2007, i had the same experience with soulwax. honestly, there was nothing really impressive about soulwax's coachella performance. all they did was play nite versions out of order. they will never play the sahara ever again. i would love to have 2many dj's mix some shit for us live. it would be a lot of fun to have them play the mojave so there would be room to dance. in my opinion, if they did play, they could get stuck in the gobi and have trouble filling up that any time after 10pm.

The Soulwax performance in 2007 was impressive because they played a continuous mix of music like a DJ set, only completely live and in the middle of the day/heat, with a drummer who never lost the beat. The Sahara was so perfect for them then, with a decent amount of people just getting down like crazy to their spectacular set. That said, it was nowhere near packed enough to suggest that they would play a better time slot their next time around, especially without any new music as a draw.

Still one of my top 10 Coachella sets though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

bullshit

Every post by the smudge:
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The Soulwax performance in 2007 was impressive because they played a continuous mix of music like a DJ set, only completely live and in the middle of the day/heat, with a drummer who never lost the beat. The Sahara was so perfect for them then, with a decent amount of people just getting down like crazy to their spectacular set. That said, it was nowhere near packed enough to suggest that they would play a better time slot their next time around, especially without any new music as a draw.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/81774/so...o-finish-album

http://pitchfork.com/news/51741-watc...-with-soulwax/

that soundsystem will look and sound great in the gobi.

wonderbra, just because your favorite group is releasing something new doesn't mean they are going to headline, co-headline, sub-headline or even play coachella. it is nice to see james murphy doing something tho. let the lcd soundsystem wish list begin.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    A person who is saying that Daft Punk will announce a "world tour" in October INCLUDING "mystery dates in April" is calling someone else stupid? Right...
    Please, BUST THAT ALIAS!
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

if there is a wtf headliner.... couldnt it be queens of the stone age?

Quote Originally Posted by jbergeron View Post

wonderbra, just because your favorite group is releasing something new doesn't mean they are going to headline, co-headline, sub-headline or even play coachella. it is nice to see james murphy doing something tho. let the lcd soundsystem wish list begin.
    You're an idiot. Soulwax is far from my favorite band and I never claimed they were. But they are amazing in every way, just as you appear to be stupid in every way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Please, BUST THAT ALIAS!
    The things people beg for, I can't understand.

Rolling Stones playing Beggars Banquet in full- Confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by jbergeron View Post

Didn't James Murphy like JUST say that there is zero chance of a reunion?

Mats/Mats/Mats