Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

Default Re: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

Sparks

My favorite discovery on this year's lineup, thanks to Pot and M Sparks. I have become obsessed with these guys.
    Sparks are an amazing glam rock/new wave band formed in 1971 in Los Angeles. With catchy riffs, witty lyrics, and an awesome look, they are the complete package. They have many good albums, but as M Sparks suggested, the essentials are 1974's Kimono My House, 1982's Angst In My Pants, 1994's Gratuitous Sax & Useless Violins, and 2002's Lil Beethoven. But you really can't go wrong with these guys. I think the best thing about Sparks is that they never meant to be a "serious" band, just good fun, though they ended up being more profound than most.

(They have more awesome songs posted in the Sparks thread in the Line-Up/Artists section)

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

This died way too early.

So seriously, who's actually good now that we're nearing the end of the waiting period? I gotta find out who to bother listening to.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Roni Size is a drum n bass legend. He's been doing it since... shit, the beginning, I dunno, I know he had stuff out in the very early nineties which you might as well just call the beginning of dnb unless you wanna be a twat about it.

You should check him out, he's way more awesome than a couple little clips can communicate.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    This died way too early.

So seriously, who's actually good now that we're nearing the end of the waiting period? I gotta find out who to bother listening to.
    im good to go. still finding stuff thats good electronic like Maya Jane Coles and Julio Bashmore who I heard today.

No, I meant who's good as in what acts are good. I wasn't asking for an update on you personally.

Modest Mouse

Are fucking rad as shit. If you're even thinking about missing them, don't. I was only lucky enough to catch them once at Virgin Fest way back on a lark and it turned out to be the best thing I saw all weekend. Everything that indie rock should be.

Wolfgang Gartner

Is kinda dope if you like EDM that has an absurd number of sound effects in it. I haven't bothered checking in on him in a while, last time he was coming around he sounded kinda like Justice - Cross era stuff but with way more detail and attention being paid and a harder edge. From what I recall, he did throw down pretty decently that year but he is also guaranteed to attract douchebags.

Moby

Is just a solid good time, man, if you like disco. His track selection is just cheesy enough to be a blast without being annoying, he knows how to build energy in the crowd, and he is pretty much guaranteed to play this track which feels like you're where the party is happening.

Moby

Is just a solid good time, man, if you like disco. His track selection is just cheesy enough to be a blast without being annoying, he knows how to build energy in the crowd, and he is pretty much guaranteed to play this track which feels like you're where the party is happening.
    Whoa, this is a rec I wouldn't expect from RSW. I agree about Moby's DJ sets though, they are fun. Check out his mix from Data Transmission Podcast. Also, wtf is up with the Voldemort group, I can't seem to post in there. Perhaps, I'm just too stupid to sort it this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

At EDC in 08 I was really impressed with him, actually. It's not easy for me to get into a house set but he just picks really good tracks and he knows how to shift the mood and tone in interesting ways, he paces where he brings in the anthems well, he's a really fucking good DJ straight up.

Not the best track, but I forgot this could be a possibility:

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

No, I meant who's good as in what acts are good. I wasn't asking for an update on you personally.
    Oh my bad

Yeah I wanted to throw up a post for Roni but I couldn't really find any youtube clips that I felt appropriately reflected what his set will be like.

If you like jazzy, melodic DnB, you should already know who Roni Size is. Dude's a legend. If you wanna feel like you're a total badass with awesome taste, you will be watching Roni Size on Sunday night instead of RHCP.

Palma Violets are a british garage punk sort of band. I listened to them for the first time yesterday and liked them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Somebody tell me about Jeff the Brotherhood. The two videos I've seen make me think I should investigate further. Are they any good live? which album do I start with?
    this is now my #1 favorite discovery band of Coachella 2013. really really diggin this shit
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Yo bros? This is what we came for. Time to celebrate the most distinguished Coachella headliner back by popular demand. If you want to create a moment with your bros, you should go. If you like slam pieces or aspire to be one, you should go. If you hate wearing shirts, you should go. Don't let all these bro-haters lead you astray to the tents. Prydz? More like Prydezz-nuts. Lets unite and show why we are the smartest beings in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Palma Violets are a british garage punk sort of band. I listened to them for the first time yesterday and liked them a lot.

These guys were awesome at SXSW. Very loud bratty and energetic set. Very good interactions with the crowd. They were completely wasted, but still played well.

Pamla violets were an act i kinda of reget missing yet if they are the act im thinking of and it has an yellow cover .Theyre one of those few bands I just like their single and hated the album
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm