Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

Default Re: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    This, I dig. But they should really find a drummer who can keep better time, that guy is shit.
    Trash Talk shows are just mental. SO much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophilus_London
    Regardless what you think of the lineup- good, bad or mediocre: Theophilus London's opening line in "Wine and Chocolates" perfectly describes the Coachella experience- "Time to live it up! Oh!" Since no one else has done it yet, I'll take a shot telling you guys about Theophilus London. The guy has some funky, fun stuff.

But I will also say that the one time I saw him, he was an extreme disappointment. I was really looking forward to seeing him based on the little I had heard from him and the hype from others. So his performance that night kinda hit with a "thud" (kinda like the lineup this year lol). It was January 2012, Minneapolis, Minnesota and I remember it was the same night as Tim Tebow took the Broncos into New England and got smoked in the playoffs. But! In his defense, and I wanna defend him: He was booked to a terrible, rarely-used venue, and the event had little-no promotion. So his idea of Minneapolis and their crowd-presence (or lack thereof) probably didn't appeal much to him either. So it's been over a year, and maybe he's stepped up his live performance game. He does tour with a full band. I'm willing to give him another shot, and it would be interesting to hear what you guys who've seen him before have thought of him.

Onto his music- The first time I had actually heard of him, was in 2010 on the Dave Sitek (of TV on the Radio) side-project Maximum Balloon. He was featured on the song "Groove Me". And it's a funky head-bobber.

I guess for years before that, and as his Wiki explains, he's had many mixtapes out in the few years before that. I did buy his most recent album- "Times are Weird These Days". It's hit or miss, but when it hits I think it's pretty damn funky. The 2 tracks to me that definitely stick out are "Wine and Chocolates" and "Why Even Try". If these 2 work for you, feel free to dig a little deeper, and even dig for some of his older mixtape stuff, because it is pretty good.

As I said- I'm totally willing to give him another chance, just because at time you can hear how good he can be, and it'll be a funky dance party. But I'm interested to hear some live reviews from others. Hopefully some good ones?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    \
    Regardless what you think of the lineup- good, bad or mediocre: Theophilus London's opening line in "Wine and Chocolates" perfectly describes the Coachella experience- "Time to live it up! Oh!"
    lolwat
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Birdy Nam Nam - are 4 blokes, or "garcons" from France that perform together as a live DJ/turntablism crew. That's 8 hands on deck, folks! In 2002 they won the DMC Technics World Team Championship.

Back in the day, they used to stuff like this:

They've also released their own material throughout the years, with stuff ranging from the jazzy and downtempo to the more electro and upbeat , including an EP in 2012 entitled Jaded Future. And then Skrillex found out who they were and gave them his midas touch, remixing the track "Goin In":

Now exposed to the type of music fans that matter, Birdy Nam Nam can be expected to approach their Coachella performance similar to their set at HARD Summer 2012:

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    What Chris said. His albums, especially Cold Fact, are timeless pieces of music and it is heartbreaking he never really received the recognition he deserved. With that being said, watch Searching For Sugar Man. It is an incredibly well done documentary and a very rewarding watch. I would be amazed if anyone saw the film and decided to skip his set.
    Yes, Cold Fact is awesome. Rodriguez was the only "holy shit" moment I had when reading the poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Sigur Ros
    The most amazing band to ever come out of Iceland. This band popped my Coachella Cheery way back in 2001 and continue to do so with their amazing live shows to this day. A band that Thom Yorke said sounded like "Driving your land rover over a frozen lake with the heaters on in full". They were a quartet and are now are a trio (keyboardist departed because he didn't want to tour anymore). They usually end their shows with this track, translated from Icelandic as "Pop Song"
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 01-29-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Paul Kalkbrenner is a DJ/producer from Berlin, Germany. He is part of BPitch control. I don't need to say anymore because all techno fans should be drooling at the mouth by now.
    This stuff sounds nice to my untrained ear. Thank you for the tip.

Luciano- is a techno/mnmlst house producer hailing from Switzerland who has been DJing since the early 90s and who currently runs Cadenza Records. If you are a fan of Ricardo Villalobos or Gui Boratto style ethereal, groovy techno beats then you should check this out.

His 2008 Fabric 41 mix is funky as fuck and even Pitchfork gave it a coveted 8.5 rating. (http://www.fabriclondon.com/store/fabric-41.html). Someone more adept at the internet than I should upload it for all of your listening pleasure.

Here is a set from Sonar Club in Barcelona last summer: https://soundcloud.com/k-pra-mica-3/...ive-sonar-club

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Its also not a bad description of what she sounds like. She has said in many interviews that Mariah Carey and Richard D. James are two of her inspirations. She may not sound exactly like either of them, but if you listen to her you can tell where her influences come from.

EDIT: With that being said, if you have never listened to Grimes before, Randy, I can guarantee you would hate her. You probably shouldn't even bother.
    She sounds absolutely nothing like Mariah Carey or Aphex Twin. Nothing. I don't give a shit who her inspirations are, that's a terrible and inaccurate way to describe her music.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

The Faint - A four piece band from Omaha, Nebraska formed in 1995 who first were known under the name of Norman Bailer. Conor Oberst is a former member of the band but he dropped out soon after the formation. The Faint were a part of Saddle Creek Records along with Bright Eyes, whom they have previously toured with, but the band left the label in 2008 and now have their own called "blank.wav". They currently have eight albums out, two of which are remixes. Their most known album I'd say is Danse Macabre and they recently did a tour where they played it from start to finish.
    I'm really bad at describing bands' genres so the best way to describe them would be indie rock dance punk. I haven't seen them live yet but I've heard that they they're really fucking awesome. They're a band that I play on full blast while driving and dance away. I'm real excited for these guys and they might be my most anticipated act for the weekend. DO NOT MISS.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Birdy Nam Nam
    Man. Such a terrible end to what seemed so promising.

Luciano- is a techno/mnmlst house producer hailing from Switzerland who has been DJing since the early 90s and who currently runs Cadenza Records. If you are a fan of Ricardo Villalobos or Gui Boratto style ethereal, groovy techno beats then you should check this out.

His 2008 Fabric 41 mix is funky as fuck and even Pitchfork gave it a coveted 8.5 rating. (http://www.fabriclondon.com/store/fabric-41.html). Someone more adept at the internet than I should upload it for all of your listening pleasure.

Here is a set from Sonar Club in Barcelona last summer: https://soundcloud.com/k-pra-mica-3/...ive-sonar-club
    I also recommend listening to this Essential mix, it's awesome and weird https://soundcloud.com/medellinstyle...ential-mix-bbc

This track is amazing as well

He makes some amazing blissed out music... his label Cadenza is one of my all-time favs.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    She sounds absolutely nothing like Mariah Carey or Aphex Twin. Nothing. I don't give a shit who her inspirations are, that's a terrible and inaccurate way to describe her music.
    You aren't listening properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Grinderman is Nick Cave's rock band. He may have found religion, but when he's in Grinderman he wants to fuck you. Let me make this clear: he does not want to make love. He does not want to serenade you lightly and convince you that he'd be a good mate. He wants to fuck you, and afterwards he wants to fuck you again. Grinderman is full of grit, loud guitars, sexy rhythms, intensity and general awesome. If you like brutal rock music at its best, you owe yourself Grinderman. Two things to note: 1) They are renowned as an incredible live act. 2) They went on hiatus a while back, and according to Cave these shows are one-offs, so don't expect to be seeing them again.

Goddamn I love me some Grinderman....
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Lou Reed

Lou motherfucking Reed, one of music most infamous song writers of all time, once the lead singer of a band called the Velvet Underground. His solo work can be as beautiful as a church choir or as awful and noisy as the darkest Merzbow album. One thing to expect from Mr. Reed, is to not expect anything. If he is feeling it, he will put on a show for the ages, if he isn't well....you won't forget it either way

here is something more soothing

So is there a definitive solo album by reed?

His Transformer album is a good place to start. Or if you're feeling sinister Metal Machine Music

Booka Shade are definitely one of my most anticipated sets of the festival. These Germans craft some seriously infectious, live electronic music. Live drums, live synth, amazing vibes... Whatever tent they're in will be going off; let's hope it's sunset or later.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    So is there a definitive solo album by reed?
    I'd say there are three great go-to pop albums, and one go-to experimental.

Transformer is the furthest extension of the Loaded-era Lou Reed, and would have been spectacular as the fifth official (sixth, really) Velvet Underground album. Berlin is a darker, more bizarre beast, a concept album based on a great, disturbing lyric and some more nuanced musicianship. Street Hassle, his 1977 album, has an incredible title track that fills most of the album and other songs that are nearly as good and stretches to some great heights. Marco mentioned it perhaps in joking, but Metal Machine Music is one of the great early noise albums, full of symphonies of guitar squall and feedback filling four sides of vinyl and around 60 minutes of release. If you like noise music, you'll probably love Metal Machine Music, and I'm a huge fan.

DO NOT listen to LuLu, the release he did with Metallica. it's god-awful. Same with The Raven, his album-length interpretation of the Poe poem.

Transformer is the furthest extension of the Loaded-era Lou Reed, and would have been spectacular as the fifth official (sixth, really) Velvet Underground album. Berlin is a darker, more bizarre beast, a concept album based on a great, disturbing lyric and some more nuanced musicianship. Street Hassle, his 1977 album, has an incredible title track that fills most of the album and other songs that are nearly as good and stretches to some great heights. Marco mentioned it perhaps in joking, but Metal Machine Music is one of the great early noise albums, full of symphonies of guitar squall and feedback filling four sides of vinyl and around 60 minutes of release. If you like noise music, you'll probably love Metal Machine Music, and I'm a huge fan.

DO NOT listen to LuLu, the release he did with Metallica. it's god-awful. Same with The Raven, his album-length interpretation of the Poe poem.
    alright sounds good on the pop stuff! I do like some noise so ill check out metal machine music. and yeah ive never messed with Lulu. hmm thats interesting on the raven, but sounds kinda awful as well. seems like he put on a pretty great show at Lolla in 09 so i'm stoked!

kinda random, and I have no idea if this will actually happen, but Lou put out a song with Metric on their newest album called Wonderlust and I thought it might be possible itll happen live due to them being there on the same day

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Big standouts I hadn't listened to before, so far: Dead Can Dance
    Yes, haven't really finned much from the first three pages, but this is incredible. Cheers.

for reference

I'm gonna also recommend New York (1989) for some later, great Lou.

Yeah, besides Transformer, Berlin is a must hear

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Kids These Days are another great last-liner and one of the awesome hip hop acts on the lineup. Full band, original vibes, and debut album produced by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy. They're pretty fucking dope. From Chicago

Ill add to the praise of this band, and comment that the album is FREE

Now exposed to the type of music fans that matter, Birdy Nam Nam can be expected to approach their Coachella performance similar to their set at HARD Summer 2012:

Yikes

Do you have ears? Ricardo Villalobos DJ sets sound NOTHING like Luciano.

Name some DJs that share a similar sound with Luciano's mainstream tech house Ibiza bullshit then so as to educate everyone, then.

Or, you know, just fuck off and drown in feces.

Oh, you went to Berghain last night? Congrats. You're still a fucking bitch.