Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

Default Re: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

I'm not sure if 2013 was expecting that OMD

Can anyone suggest what albums I should grab from The Oh Sees. They have 14 albums and I have no idea what to grab or where to start. JEFF The Brotherhood too.

EDIT: Also, the Make-Up look like a ridiculously good time live. How was their performance at ATP?
    Last edited by rage patton; 01-26-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Phoenix

You would consider them a "Alternative, rock poppish band" from France. (i'm horrible with genres) I advise to listen to their earlier albums before their grammy award winning "wolf gang amadeus". If you ask me, I thought that album was shitty and "1901" was fucking crap. Listen to their album "It's Never Been Like That" and go from there. I remember showing that album to a friend for the first time and she said it reminded her of "the strokes". I guess she was referring to that "raw garage band" feel.

P.S. these guys are not headliner material. unless they bring out daft punk like they did back in Madison Square Garden.
    Last edited by geonotgio; 01-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.

LEGENDS!

Cafe Tacuba

I dont even know why i posted this song. You must be a true hardcore Cafe Tacuba fan to understand the importance of this song and this band. They're legends in the Latin Rock game. I've seen them live once and they put me to tears. Rubén (lead singer) was engaging with the crowd and he sensed that there was some sort of problem going on with everybody in the world and he said to just wash all your problems away and dance the night away. I've seen countless bands perform live but not one will engage with you as much as Ruben. Definitely a class act!
    Last edited by geonotgio; 01-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Geno. Tell us about these bands. I can youtube them if I want to. Tell me why I should care about them. Tell me who they are, where they come from, and what their story is. Please stop posting videos unless you add in some commentary about the band. Thank you.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Excellent info Geo. I appreciate your effort.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Can anyone suggest what albums I should grab from The Oh Sees. They have 14 albums and I have no idea what to grab or where to start. JEFF The Brotherhood too.

EDIT: Also, the Make-Up look like a ridiculously good time live. How was their performance at ATP?
    Thee Oh Sees - Carrion Crawlers

JEFF the Brotherhood - We Are the Champions
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Geno. Tell us about these bands. I can youtube them if I want to. Tell me why I should care about them. Tell me who they are, where they come from, and what their story is. Please stop posting videos unless you add in some commentary about the band. Thank you.
    my intention was to write a lil something at first but i thought "the hell with that, just click play and listen".
    for you my friend, I'll edit my posts.

Thank you. I wrote a post in the previous page asking people to please do that because we can all find youtube videos, but someone with knowledge would give us the benefit of their knowledge by describing why we should listen to the band. I am re-writing that here because I want people to do so if at all possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by geonotgio View Post
    my intention was to write a lil something at first but i thought "the hell with that, just click play and listen".
    for you my friend, I'll edit my posts.
    Thank you for doing this man. In the past, these threads have been very helpful and very informative and it would be great to keep the quality the same for this years thread.

EDIT: Yeah, what bmack said.

They are one of the biggest bands in Mexico. They made it big in the early 90's and have been playing fun music ever since. They cover lots of different musical genres from punk, rock, ska, to some of their local styles with nortenos, boleros, and rancheras. They were influenced by the Violent Femmes, so I'm hoping they will do something together.

LEGENDS!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I didn't realize they were coming back! I saw them on a whim at Coachella 2008 and they were fucking awesome.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Coachella Junkie

I'm sure Erik wanted to do this one, but I'm going to steal this from him

You owe it to yourself to see this performance. Dead Can Dance is a band from Australia (formed in 1980) that combines world music and ethereal art rock. Their earlier work found home in the post-punk/goth rock genres of the early 80s, but as they progressed their music combined elements from medieval, gothic, African, Middle-Eastern, Gaelic folk culture, and many other eras of history to create very atmospheric and haunting pieces. They are led by Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard, both of whom share vocal duties in multiple languages, and a backing band featuring percussionists, keyboardists and guitarists. Their first album, Dead Can Dance (1984), might be the easiest starting point for people not familiar with world music, but some of the devoted fans will recommend Into The Labyrinth (1993) and Toward The Within (1994), the latter of which being a fantastic live album, as their best work. They'll play alot from their latest release, Anastasia, but here are a few songs you'll probably hear at the show.

The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove
    (Into The Labyrinth)

Children Of The Sun
    (first song off of Anastasia)

Rakim (live performance from Toward the Within)

he sensed that there was some sort of problem going on with everybody in the world

They are, they probably had my favorite set of that weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Wheels Of Cheese

Action Bronson

Action Bronson is a terrific rapper from NYC of Albanian descent. A rotund figure who's silky style is reminiscent of Ghostface Killah, but that's an oft-used, unfair comparison, because Action Bronson has a wonderful style all to his own. Blue Chips is certainly a great starting point, and Rare Chandeliers was a wonderful wonderful follow up. AB's content seems to bounce between confectionary exploits, romantic sleaziness, smoking, 1990's sports references, pussy, and rosemary bread. A fabulous technical rapper, his imagery is fantastic, his rhymes are catchy, complex and his cadence is always spot on. Highly recommended.

Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

I'll second the rec for Action Bronson. Excited to see him on the lineup

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    no performer is going to talk to their audience like ruben does and zach de la rocha etc. Too many artists dont give a fuck about you and what's going on around you.

tom i really hope you fucking have a stroke soon. You're seriously a piece of shit.

Wheels Of Cheese

Earl Sweatshirt

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All hit the music hive like a hydrogen bomb screaming out of nowhere, but now as the smoke begins to clear all these years later, we can finally get a good look at the damage done, and upon further review, Earl is looking like the only truly worthwhile member (obviously I'm not including Frank Ocean in that summary). Earl has a ton of potential, whereas the other members of OFWGKTA seem like they're already past it, which seems inexplicable given their age, but alas I think it's the truth. All of this is very ironic, considering he was in Prep school during the heights of the groups fame. Earl has a laid back, dark style; he's at his best when he gets introspective, much like his brother Tyler, and not when he falls victim to the dopey machismo that his troupe-mates get off on. He's still only a teenager, and he keeps improving... that's scary.

Last edited by Still-ill; 01-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

tom i really hope you fucking have a stroke soon. You're seriously a piece of shit.
    Well hey

LEGENDS!

Cafe Tacuba

I dont even know why i posted this song. You must be a true hardcore Cafe Tacuba fan to understand the importance of this song and this band. They're legends in the Latin Rock game. I've seen them live once and they put me to tears. Rubén (lead singer) was engaging with the crowd and he sensed that there was some sort of problem going on with everybody in the world and he said to just wash all your problems away and dance the night away. I've seen countless bands perform live but not one will engage with you as much as Ruben. Definitely a class act!
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    They are one of the biggest bands in Mexico. They made it big in the early 90's and have been playing fun music ever since. They cover lots of different musical genres from punk, rock, ska, to some of their local styles with nortenos, boleros, and rancheras. They were influenced by the Violent Femmes, so I'm hoping they will do something together.
    I saw them for the second time live at The Observatory last year
    they put on an awesome live show, the energy in that little venue was amazing
    definitely in my top 5 shows of last year

Last edited by corbo; 01-26-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Wheels Of Cheese

I don't think we need that many videos, corbo. Thanks though.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll post it here too:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendeafears View Post
    Julio Bashmore plays, in his own words, "mysteriously swashbuckling house music." It's rhythmic, soulful, with a great mix of classic and new sounds and songs. He will make you dance like never before. He is on the verge of blowing up for sure. He is an amazing DJ and an even better producer. Fun fact: He produced Jessie Ware's 110%. I just saw him in December and he put on a hell of a show. This is going to be a set to see, and it's going to be great, regardless of where or when it is.

https://soundcloud.com/qrip/2012-11-...io-bashmore-in

Oh also, if anyone wants to know more about the electronic lineup, check out the link in my signature, I made a list which has productions/dj sets from each of the electronic artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    I don't think we need that many videos, corbo. Thanks though.
    one was not enough i had to fix that

Too many videos creates loading issues for many people. Please try to keep it to three.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

Trash Talk

As far as worthwhile things crawling out of the charming pit that is Sacramento, heavy music is one of those things that has lately been pulling itself out of the ashy gray earth with it's charred, bruised hands. Trash Talk has become one of the willing ambassadors of this proud and boisterous musical sect. They've been cutting their teeth on the road with Fucked up the last couple of years, and have developed into a marquee live act. Perhaps not the best entry level act, for those interested in getting into the genre, but I'd still encourage those individuals to take part in their set.

REALLY excited about the lineup after this thread. Big standouts I hadn't listened to before, so far: Dead Can Dance, The Make Up

Quote Originally Posted by grind View Post
    This thread is full of great finds, thanks everyone! Those Ben Howard songs are absolutely amazing, I'll definitely be digging for more of him.

For my contribution we have Huoratron. This guy might not fit in as well for this thread, but it's some of the craziest, hardest electro I've heard, it looks like he throws down live, and I've been trying to see him for a while. So if you're into the harder side of music, you might like this guy.
    This guy is fucking insane. VERY excited for this set.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Trash Talk is one of the best live bands out there right now, in any genre. Even if you wouldn't be a fan of them on record, i guarantee that almost anyone would be thoroughly entertained by their live set.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

I'm not even gonna lie, Huoratron is not bad. Dumb dumb electro stuff but it could be soooo much worse. Just another booking that makes the electronic lineup seem so much better than last year's cheeze fest from hell