Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

Default Re: Educate us on the 2013 lineup

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Hey everyone say hi to Disclosure, one of the best artists on the lineup. These two young brothers are bringing back groovy fucking dance music that's actually pretty popular. Please go see them because it will be the biggest dance party of the festival, trust. Make sure to get The Face EP and the Latch single (but really every track these guys have done is FIRE).

WOW GOOD MUSIC HERE THANKS

This is where I will post about my favorite punk band ever!

The Descendents are a poppy skate punk group from Southern California that deliver fast and catchy songs fueled by the earnest lyrics of Milo Aukerman. He's hopeful about the future, loves coffee, loves food, loves a gross joke, and is a hopeless romantic met with unrequited love left and right.

Early on in their career the band is a more aggressive skate that would occasional even dip their foot into hardcore sounds singing about the despondency of suburban life, parents, and generally being young.

Their debut album Milo Goes To College (the one parodied above) is essential listening and can be heard in full here. Less than 30 minutes, you owe it yourself to give it a full listen. The band will play many songs from this one.

As their career continues, for over 30 years now, the Descendents always keep songs like that first album around but take two routes musically when deviating from that forumla. They either get poppier or they get weirder.

At this point Milo left the Descendents to be a biochemist and the band members continued on without him with a new singer and formed ALL (great band, embraces many of the more peculiar behaviors of the group, they wont be playing any of those songs though).

Since then the band members have reformed twice with Milo and release two newer records: Everything Sucks in 1996 and Cool to Be You in 2004. These albums completely embrace the pop punk side of the band with a couple wild ones thrown in for good measure. What links these albums to the rest of their catalogue is Milo's song writing

And now they have been touring around on and off since late 2010 without supporting any new material. The best place to start is certainly Milo Goes to College but if you wanted more without grabbing each of their records the compilation Somery is a a great collection of everything up until the reunion albums.

They are a tight live band now held down by Bill Stevenson on the drums (of Black Flag fame) and Milo still sounds as great as he did on the recordings. MUST SEE! ALL!
    Last edited by cutterbutter; 01-25-2013 at 01:50 PM.

This thread is full of great finds, thanks everyone! Those Ben Howard songs are absolutely amazing, I'll definitely be digging for more of him.

For my contribution we have Huoratron. This guy might not fit in as well for this thread, but it's some of the craziest, hardest electro I've heard, it looks like he throws down live, and I've been trying to see him for a while. So if you're into the harder side of music, you might like this guy.

First post is now updated with a list of bands and, as you post about them here, I will update that post with links to the band. I'll try to do it at the end of each day.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Paul Kalkbrenner is a DJ/producer from Berlin, Germany. He is part of BPitch control. I don't need to say anymore because all techno fans should be drooling at the mouth by now.

RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Dog Blood - Boys Noize & Skrillex (yeah, I know) side project that is more Alex Ridha than Sonny Moore. Break / Acid / Techno that's going to be a whole lot of heavy fun

Listen to Jurassic 5. Best reunion on the lineup. Arguably my favorite hip-hop group of all the Coachellas.

The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Alright so Grizzly Bear is also known as the silvertip bear, the grizzly, or the North American brown bear, or wait fuck I'm copying this from the wrong wikipedia page.

Since nobody else would do this:

2 Chainz

2 Chainz used to be known as Tity Boi. He had a brief moment of fame in 2007 when his old group Playaz Circle had a hit called "Duffle Bag Boy" while he was signed to Ludacris's label.

After he left, he changed his name to 2 Chainz. He's had major success featuring on things...

Kanye's "Mercy"
    A$AP's "Fucking Problems"
    Juicy J's "Bandz A Make Her Dance"

...then his album Based on a TRU Story came out and it just went gold a couple weeks ago

Here's the current single:

He's a bit of an anomaly in hip hop, because he's finally getting his big break as a 35 year old. It's silly, somewhat fun, trap music.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

OK. Now, meet CASSY goddess of deep minimal and techno. When I saw her name on the lineup I had a visible freak out and wondered if it was actually her. This is one of the BEST techno bookings this year bar none. She will throw the fuck down; I hope it's late night at a new, good-electronic stage, but I'd even take a midday Sahara set. Seriously, this booking shows me GV knows what the fuck is up. Maybe a few years late but so so appreciated.

Thanks for this, missed her on my first read-through of the line-up. Cheers!

OK. Now, meet CASSY goddess of deep minimal and techno. When I saw her name on the lineup I had a visible freak out and wondered if it was actually her. This is one of the BEST techno bookings this year bar none. She will throw the fuck down; I hope it's late night at a new, good-electronic stage, but I'd even take a midday Sahara set. Seriously, this booking shows me GV knows what the fuck is up. Maybe a few years late but so so appreciated.

Ohh nice!

Jake Bugg

Jake's an 18 year old folk/country/blues singer/songwriter from Clifton, Nottingham, England. Decent songs, nothing ground breaking but pretty good for an 18 year old who has only been playing for a few years. Interesting voice this one has though! His influences are Don McLean, Donovan, Johnny Cash, Nick Drake, etc... Many compare him to Bob Dylan but I suppose you can all decide that for yourselves. Saw him a few times last week and his voice and playing absolutely delivers live! He's only got one album and his songs are really short (2-3min) so if you're looking to check someone new out during the day, Jake Bugg can do you no wrong!

great thread. and someone please educate the kids born in the 90s about who stone roses are. sheesh.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Every year this thread is made and every year Dani pops up all like, "Oh hey, guys, good idea" like it's a new thing again.

The Stone Roses are great... if you wanted an answer to the question, "what would it take for me to be really impressed by Blur?"
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Danny Brown is a rapper from Detroit. He raps about how he's the best, smoking weed, eating pussy, how big his dick is, growing up in Detroit, etc. In a lot of his songs, he raps in a high-pitched voice that sounds funny. His 2011 album, XXX, is like, one of the best rap albums I've heard in a while. He's supposed to be releasing a new one earlier this year. His set at Pitchfork Fest last year was a fucking party. Don't miss him.

We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Love this. I will be here for the next 2 or so months.

I've only just started lineup research, but one band I've already taken a liking to is the two-piece Io Echo. They describe their sound as "pastel doom," but what that really means is shoe-gazy goodness a la Slowdive, Ride, APTBS, etc. They only have one 5-song EP and a few singles to their name so I'm sure they'll be an early day act, but one which might be worth checking out.

Dinosaur Jr. came out of the hardcore scene, but they smoked way too much pot and grew their hair way too long to stick in that field. Instead, J. Mascis and crew mastered the catchy, guitar-driven rock song and helped to birth Alternative Rock. They sometimes slow down into near-country tracks, sometimes they rock like crazy, and they always play super loud. J., the singer and guitarist, is notable for his shyness and the fact that he mumbles if he ever talks, and for the fact that he pretty much expresses himself through his guitar. They put on incredible sets, are very loud and just bring it every time. I've seen them 9 times, everywhere from small clubs to theatres to festivals and they never fail.

Local Natives are an indie rock band based in Los Angeles . Their sound has been described as "afropop-influenced guitars with hyperactive drumming and hooky three-part harmonies".Clash Music has also described their style as psych folk, or new fangled folk.Local Natives were at many times mentioned to be a "band who knows how to groove."

The 2 bears is a duo based out of London with 1 of the duo being Joe Goddard of hot chip. They are a somewhat synth sounding indiepop dance band, so if you like hot chip-you will probably enjoy 2 the 2 bears as well.

Guyz this shit is insane

Hanni El Khatib, garage psychobilly madman from LA, of Palestinian and Filipino descent. His upcoming album is being produced by Dan Auerbach of Black Keys.

Last edited by ods..; 01-26-2013 at 11:03 AM.

After the crumbling apart of the highly influential band The Birthday Party, singer Nick Cave and guitarist Mick Harvey formed Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Releasing amazing after amazing records since 1984, they have a huge cult following and rightfully so. Cave's songwriting usually focuses on death, love, religion, murder, and sex. See this band, whatever you do. I mean, they'll hopefully be closing the outdoor while RHCP snooze out the mainstage anyway. With such an extensive catalogue, people usually ask which album they should start with. Though you can't go wrong with any one, I'd say start with Let Love In. One of my favorite albums of all time, it has a good mixture of his calm side, as well as his earlier, abrasive stuff. If you want a lot of the former, check out The Boatman's Call or The Good Son. The latter, Tender Prey then go backwards.

I'll try to limit the song postings to three in this thread. (If you want more, see the Nick, Play Some Murder Ballads thread in the Rumors/Gossip/Wishlist section.)

A really great Johnny Cash cover. As well as one of the coolest music videos ever done.

Not the most popular songs by him, but fucking great.

EDIT: I should also say they're releasing their 15th album on February 18. Two singles have been released so far, and they're both really promising.
    Last edited by FEELS; 01-27-2013 at 09:33 PM.

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'd love to be there this year, but it's not looking likely unless I get work beforehand. As it stands I just can't afford it, but I'm a fan of the lineup. I've also seen a majority of the bands I'd like to see, so it wouldn't be a huge loss for me. Still a bummer.
    Damn, well I hope it somehow works out and you're able to go this year. Want to watch Dino Jr. with you man!

For future reference , don't quote the videos guys. Don't want this great thread's loading time to be TOO bogged down by YT vids.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    First post is now updated with a list of bands and, as you post about them here, I will update that post with links to the band. I'll try to do it at the end of each day.
    such thoughtful curation!
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Violent Femmes are a three-piece 80s group from Milwaukee that play a sort of folk-punk with catchy melodies and wry lyrics. Even if you are too young to know this band I bet you $50 you will recognize "Blister in the Sun". It's a classic riff.

They got sort of a cool start, they were on the street busking in front of a club in Milwaukee where the Pretenders were scheduled to play, and the band liked them and invited them to come in and open for them.

I like the first and third albums the best. There is a thread out in the wilderness you can read people going nuts: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...COACHELLA-2013

Instructional video:

Songs:

Last edited by TomAz; 01-26-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Eight! Eight! I forget what eight was for!
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Wheels Of Cheese

The Make-Up

The brilliance of Ian Svenious flows two ways. If you want transcendent, well-dressed punk music then his original group, the underrated and highly influential Nation of Ulysses (Refused is a continuation of their dogma and style), is a good place to visit. If you want the "Gospel Yeh-Yeh" (and whether or not they realize it... everyone does) then The Make-up are just that. They're a group that comes out of the Hardcore Washington DC crowd, and have roots in Fugazi's Dischord records. It can often be hard to tell if Ian and his cohorts are the devout far-left zealots that they claim to be, or if the whole thing is just an elaborate, satirical snare set up by some nose-picking deviants... and really that's the beauty in it.

Last edited by Still-ill; 01-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    such thoughtful curation!
    We are up-to-date on the front page again.

And a request: anyone can find a youtube video of any band on the lineup. Sure, it's helpful that you found ones you prefer to share with us, but what is more helpful is a thoughtful, considered written introduction to the band. An incomplete sentence (there have been a few of those) is just not helpful for people who don't know the band at all. And try to limit to 3 videos per artist to cut down on load time for those of us without well-developed internet connections.

And finally, if you quote a post, please delete the videos. That will help with load time. Lets all play nice and have nice things!

OMD Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

True definition of new wave and synthpop. I can't really say anything about that since i'm 24 years old and all i remember was listening to this stuff for the first time way past its time. This is my father's shit here.
    Last edited by geonotgio; 01-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.