Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Can Dance!

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: Dead Can Dance!

Their first album, while it had some world-music influence, is often lumped into to the darker post-punk/goth rock genre. It's somewhat comparable to Cocteau Twins. It's a pretty good starting point.

I will be in heaven if they play:

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Hell yes! Fuck the Chili Peppers and Eric Pyrdz....DCD is closing out the Mojave Sunday night....the REAL headliner of that day. So excited!
    So true.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

based on what they had to deal with they were nothing short of amazing. dead can dance playing in the middle of a fucking sandstorm. must have been horrible for them but from an audience perspective it added more atmosphere than any haze/fog machine ever could. i'll never forget it
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

^ This. I was looking at the keyboard player. During that storm, her face was so serene, posture perfectly still, relaxed except for her hair which was blowing wild. They were amazing! They were like strong, pale statues that moved and made dark, beautiful noise.
    Always wear a helmut

They played Black Sun too!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. It was unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by motionnn77 View Post
    ^ This. I was looking at the keyboard player. During that storm, her face was so serene, posture perfectly still, relaxed except for her hair which was blowing wild. They were amazing! They were like strong, pale statues that moved and made dark, beautiful noise.
    This. Like I said in the Top 5 acts thread, I believe the sandstorm enhanced their set.
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Coachella Junkie

you guys got Black Sun too? nice!

I couldn't believe they busted out Black Sun, never expected that (they haven't played it since they've reformed for the new album and tour last year). I thought we were going to get Rakim, but that never happend, but getting Black Sun makes up for that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I couldn't believe they busted out Black Sun, never expected that (they haven't played it since they've reformed for the new album and tour last year). I thought we were going to get Rakim, but that never happend, but getting Black Sun makes up for that easily.
    i'm was not really familiar with their music at all before the set but i'm guessing thats the one that towards the end of the song had me and the dude next to me freaking out and in tears

edit: yep, that's the one
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Coachella Junkie

how was the crowd & any soundbleed?

Crowd was small, and I was close (2nd row) so I had no sound bleed (similar to Godspeed last year)...but those further back? I dunno...

i was about 10 rows back and no sound bleed. there weren't that many people behind me, small crowd. brilliant set.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

Coachella Junkie

glad you guys liked it! an outdoors setting can be surprisingly complimenting for a band like them, as i learned last august, and I'm sure the wind just set the mood perfectly. jealous that you guys got Black Sun, but their show is quite a treat regardless.

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

Loved their set. They sounded fantastic. I was about five or six rows back from the stage. I think the wind/dust added to their set. It was a very tiny crowd but magical experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

Quote Originally Posted by thom cobain View Post
    i was about 10 rows back and no sound bleed. there weren't that many people behind me, small crowd. brilliant set.
    i was leery of standing beneath the steel rig with it swaying back and forth, so i was right about there for their set. and i didn't catch any sound bleed, either.
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Brilliant show. Both their voices are still so powerful and great. I was also transfixed on the girl on the keyboards, the wind flowing through her hair and all was pretty mesmerizing.

Oh, and I got to watch this with Erik (Menik) which was totally awesome!

They were great! There was an early mix up with something (song selection?) that made them pause a bit to figure things out. And beforehand, I saw their crew furiously trying to tape everything down so it wouldn't blow away. Not surprised there were a couple of minor hiccups given the circumstances. Once their set hit its stride, I was impressed with their dedication to their music and fans. Brendan, Lisa, the whole band, didn't let a little wind and sand phase them in the least. Perfect festival closer.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    based on what they had to deal with they were nothing short of amazing. dead can dance playing in the middle of a fucking sandstorm. must have been horrible for them but from an audience perspective it added more atmosphere than any haze/fog machine ever could. i'll never forget it
    I too will never forget this surreal experience. They were nearly perfect in a raging dust storm. Definitely a highlight for me. We were about 5 deep and there was no bleed. I didnt think the crowd was that small considering the storm. A MUST SEE !
    Last edited by wpod1; 04-19-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motionnn77 View Post
    Yes it was lovely and hypnotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Best set of the entire weekend, if not the best set I've ever seen at Coachella.

really wanted to check them out weekend 2 after hearing so many good things about weekend 1, but I finally hit my wall after The Faint and decided to end my fest on a high rather than waiting around for them. missing their set is among my biggest regrets of doublechella.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

After being beat down by 2 weekends, this was the perfect place for me to be at the end. Absolutely wonderful.

They sounded fantastic . I only watched a few songs but if I'd been in the mood for downtempo powerful music if have stayed. Great band.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

A little sad we never got Rakim either weekend (in fact, it was the same exact setlist both weekends - which I did expect). That song has been played at every single live show of theirs since 1993, and they finally leave it out for both Coachellas? Hmm, a little weird...but hey, they brought back Black Sun, so beggars can't be choosers.

I watched them on a whim to end weekend 2 and they blew me away. Probably my favorite show I saw weekend 2.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Watching the recording of their set from the livestream right now. Definitely looks like it must have been a magical experience. The wind definitely added to it.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

This was a great ending to Coachella 2013

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I missed their W1 set, because I was deathly sick due to the allergy-destroying sandstorm. That was heartbreaking, but lucky for me I saw them W2 and was on the rail for one of my favorite concert moments ever. It was the perfect end to a fantastic trip.

I especially enjoyed "Sanvean", it blanketed me in goosebumps and got me all misty-eyed. I used the iPhone to grab what I could... my God, her voice haunts in the best kind of way.

14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

they were really great weekend 1. i caught about the last 20-30 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I watched them on a whim to end weekend 2 and they blew me away. Probably my favorite show I saw weekend 2.
    Glad you and Jonathan made it over. Such a positive way to close out Bothchella. I think it is one of my top 3 for wither weekend. Prydz was really nice weekend 1. Glad we got to do both, and even caught Disclosure playing Latch afterwards. Perfect.