Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JAMES BLAKE!

Default Re: JAMES BLAKE!

When I saw his name of the poster the first time, I got him confused with that James Blunt shitheel. This is much better.
    Anything is possible...

Lurker

The other video posted didn't really show the drummer. Dude deserves all sorts of props.

Quote Originally Posted by dallaswp13 View Post
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/james-...-1bdc4980.html

Here's his FYF setlist. I thought he played more songs though because I know every song on that list and I could've sworn he played a song I didn't know, but he said to the crowd that he'd be coming back to America next year with new material and he's planning on a sophomore album. I wouldn't count on him playing any of his remixes, as he'll have a shorter set at Coachella than he would at a solo show, but if you're a fan of James Blake I think the setlist is perfect. I think we can expect to hear one or two new songs.
    Really stoked to see CMYK on that list. I would love to see that live. And I also think him closing the Gobi would be fantastic (Unless that meant a conflict with Kalkbrenner or Prydz).
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

just hit me that there's a chance we get "Fall Creek Boys Choir"...FUCK !!!!!!!

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    just hit me that there's a chance we get "Fall Creek Boys Choir"...FUCK !!!!!!!
    There's not. Justin Vernon has said on twitter it doesn't even have real lyrics. Also he attended James Blake's show at the Fonda last year and they did not play it.

Also: New album out April 8th.

^ And new single will be premiered in about an hour on the BBC
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Damn, "Retrograde" is really, really good.

Stream link: http://myblogcliche.blogspot.com/201...etrograde.html
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 02-07-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

You guys mind if I step in this thread for a second to spread a little hate?

Goddddaammmmmmmn James Blake is fucking boring. Studio stuff puts me to sleep. saw him live for at least 3 songs. YAAAWN.

Thanks
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

I am really diggin the new song. I hope the rest of the album is as good.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Damn, "Retrograde" is really, really good.

Stream link: http://myblogcliche.blogspot.com/201...etrograde.html
    Ehhh. I found it bland. It's so straightforward.

12/16: A Winged Victory for the Sullen @ The Independent
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar
    12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

guedita's taste in music:

No time for that straightforward shit.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Ehhh. I found it bland. It's so straightforward.
    Listen to new Autechre instead

What is the secret to understanding what the big deal is about this guy? Do I need to upgrade my subwoofers or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    What is the secret to understanding what the big deal is about this guy? Do I need to upgrade my subwoofers or something?
    Are you brooding while listening?

Dear Coachella Board,

Please help me understand James Blake...... as someone who loves all forms/kinds of music, and respects even the artists/genres i dont understand, what the heck is the appeal of this? Ive tried so many times, tried listening to a million different songs/sets. Should I just accept that maybe this guy isnt for me?

Just tough because Ive seen so much apreciation for him from both the boards and my friends.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

If you don't dig it, you don't dig it. I don't think a musical-analytical discourse could convince otherwise. I'm 100% on board w/ Jimmy Blake, and seeing him and his band live solidified my appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    Dear Coachella Board,
    Please help me understand James Blake...... as someone who loves all forms/kinds of music, and respects even the artists/genres i dont understand, what the heck is the appeal of this? Ive tried so many times, tried listening to a million different songs/sets. Should I just accept that maybe this guy isnt for me?
    Just tough because Ive seen so much apreciation for him from both the boards and my friends.
    The first anyone heard of him was this track on his myspace. He was touring with Mount Kimbie as part of their live band and was just a talented up and coming producer. (Doing very awkward DJ sets I might add.)

R&S then picked him up and released CMYK which got a lot of attention, was in everyones DJ sets from house to dubstep and back. (magnetic man essential mix for example.)

He followed it up on R&S with Klavierwerke which was the real introduction to his voice.

Then he released this immense cover/video of Feist and announced his debut album and got a huge amount of attention as the next big thing.

His album reached vast success and began touring around the world, making a huge wave at his SXSW performance. The Willhelm Scream was featured on Entourage and he released a few more videos, did a collaboration with Bon Iver and released his "Enough Thunder" EP which was his biggest let down to date as it left the edge of his production.
    A few older instrumental EPs came out and he has been relatively quiet for the end of 2012 (or I stopped paying attention). He was expected for Coachella 2012 so 2013's new album announcement is his redemption. I wasn't a huge fan of his album as I like his production far more than his vocal stuff but am really excited to see what he does this year. It's also worth mentioning he has covered some Mala and DMZ songs in his performances as an ode to his dubstep background in London.

Apologies for huge post, I guess you could just go on Wikipedia but a little background for people just discovering him.
    Last edited by ianM.; 02-07-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    2010, 2011, 2012 . 1, 2013 . 1

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensWeep View Post
    If you don't dig it, you don't dig it. I don't think a musical-analytical discourse could convince otherwise. I'm 100% on board w/ Jimmy Blake, and seeing him and his band live solidified my appreciation.
    clearly you dont get how things work around here.....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    clearly you dont get how things work around here.....
    Maybe I don't. Just seems a little disingenuous to need context in order to like the content.

i didn't get it till i saw him live and the low end blew me the fuck away. i was stunned

Quote Originally Posted by tmac View Post
    i didn't get it till i saw him live and the low end blew me the fuck away. i was stunned
    Couldn't agree more. I thought he was so overrated and boring and then I saw him live and had a change of heart. With the live band and the proper sound equipment it's a totally different experience. I'm not promising it's going to blow you away but have an open mind going into it.

I've been hooked since I heard Limit to Your Love on Sirius.

I recommend listening to the album with good headphones on a long walk. That's how it first clicked for me. So moving.

I'm also here to echo similar sentiments regarding his live show. I wasn't a huge fan of his production prior to seeing him live for the first time at symbi but holy shit - Limit to Your Love, Anti War Dub, and Never Learnt to Share were fucking amazing. Maybe it was the venue, the atmosphere, the sound quality, combination of everything but I hope he is just as good when I see him play Seattle. I don't expect it to even come close to the last time I saw him but perhaps he will surprise me again.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

This is maybe the track that blew my mind the most. You kind of have to listen to it all the way through with out skipping around.

listen on something with decent low end response.

I think his appeal stems from using the sound palette developed by the early proponents of dubstep (real OG dubstep) for different ends (brooding, indie, singer songwriterish melody based stuff)
    DRUGS ON KIDS

holy shit, "Retrograde" is insane.

When I was reading about all the hype about Blake, I checked him out.
    CMYK sounded awesome, but the rest of the EP sort of flew over my head. Same thing happened with his debut, The Wilhelm Scream and Limit to Your Love were tracks I really loved, but the rest of the album seemed OK to me. At this point, I liked James Blake, but I couldn't fathom the high acclaim that he got.

When the FYF lineup came out last year, I was actually pretty thrilled to see James Blake, mainly because I wanted to hear The Wilhelm Scream live lol. I read about how massive his bass was live, but what I was picturing in my head was NOTHING compared to how it actually was.

So then the first day of FYF arrived, and Chromatics just finished up a fucking awesome set, closing with their cover of Neil Young's Hey Hey, My My. I was beyond happy, and was curious to see how Blake would be. I moved up closer, and waited. It was 8 PM, and the sun was setting. A few minutes later, Blake came out with his band. He sat down by his keyboards and started playing the chords to Unluck. People around me were still talking, but then, this HUGE bass drum kick followed by a snare came in, and everyone around me shut up. At this point, I knew I was in for a treat. And what a fucking amazing treat it was.

Even if you're not a big fan of his work, I'd still HIGHLY recommend checking out his set with an open mind. I could keep on typing, but it will never be enough to describe the experience. His music on record is nowhere near what his music sounds like live, and his live show made me love the rest of his work. I had 2 friends with me when I saw him, one of them thought he was overrated, and the other never heard any of his work. By the end of the weekend, we agreed that James Blake had the best set at FYF. And Refused put on a hell of a good show.

Oh, and I'm lovin' Retrograde.

This thread has made me so much more excited to see him.
    2010, 2011, 2012 . 1, 2013 . 1

Retrograde is fucking boring. I am so sick of his voice. Not because it's bad, I quite enjoyed his full length, but because I know he's capable of making shit like CMYK and Klavierwerke. I agree with the praise of his live show though, It's a different beast than anything he does on record.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Retrograde is fucking boring. I am so sick of his voice. Not because it's bad, I quite enjoyed his full length, but because I know he's capable of making shit like CMYK and Klavierwerke. I agree with the praise of his live show though, It's a different beast than anything he does on record.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ianM. View Post
    The first anyone heard of him was this track on his myspace. He was touring with Mount Kimbie as part of their live band and was just a talented up and coming producer. (Doing very awkward DJ sets I might add.)

R&S then picked him up and released CMYK which got a lot of attention, was in everyones DJ sets from house to dubstep and back. (magnetic man essential mix for example.)

He followed it up on R&S with Klavierwerke which was the real introduction to his voice.

Then he released this immense cover/video of Feist and announced his debut album and got a huge amount of attention as the next big thing.

His album reached vast success and began touring around the world, making a huge wave at his SXSW performance. The Willhelm Scream was featured on Entourage and he released a few more videos, did a collaboration with Bon Iver and released his "Enough Thunder" EP which was his biggest let down to date as it left the edge of his production.
    A few older instrumental EPs came out and he has been relatively quiet for the end of 2012 (or I stopped paying attention). He was expected for Coachella 2012 so 2013's new album announcement is his redemption. I wasn't a huge fan of his album as I like his production far more than his vocal stuff but am really excited to see what he does this year. It's also worth mentioning he has covered some Mala and DMZ songs in his performances as an ode to his dubstep background in London.

Apologies for huge post, I guess you could just go on Wikipedia but a little background for people just discovering him.
    JUST GO ON WIKIPEDIA.

Jesus Christ this board.