Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Stone Roses

Default Re: The Stone Roses

Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    They will be playing to silence for the most part though. Americans know 1 Blur song(song 2, or as it is known in america, the woohoo song) and no Stone roses songs. Hopefully there will be a few europeans going over to make it a good atmosphere
    you're a complete fucking idiot. do u honestly think Goldenvoice would book them to HEADLINE if they thought nobody was interested? it will be packed in and everyone will be singing along.

Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    They will be playing to silence for the most part though. Americans know 1 Blur song(song 2, or as it is known in america, the woohoo song) and no Stone roses songs. Hopefully there will be a few europeans going over to make it a good atmosphere

If you think it is going to be silent when The Stone Roses are playing listen to 80, 000 people singing along to this:

old school

Curious if GV was able to secure webcast priviledges for the Roses. All the during the reunion they've been closely guarding audio/video/photo access to media. The 3 videos I've posted are the only pro audio or video from 2012 to get out.

Interesting question. I would think Coachella probably has some blanket release for all of their artists, but I'm just guessing. I don't a headliner has ever not been webcast. Not sure about the Black Keys last year, but SHM was the real headliner and they were webcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    Interesting question. I would think Coachella probably has some blanket release for all of their artists, but I'm just guessing. I don't a headliner has ever not been webcast. Not sure about the Black Keys last year, but SHM was the real headliner and they were webcast.
    There some artists like Dragonette that would allow the webcast since they did songs that wouldn't be released for 6 months and for awhile we yanking stuff from youtube. Suede and Caifanes had precious little video - no complete audio of either set was ever uploaded. Jeff Mangum is anti-video and GV even took all the camera off the tripods during his set.

I could see Puscifer being a stickler for video this year. Maynard hasn't had live video at TOOL show since that one 1993 clip. Though he did allow A Perfect Circle to be video taped at Lolla(but no broadcast).

Are Sigur Ros weird about pro-shot video?

The Stone Roses - Breaking into Heaven Full Version

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby77 View Post
    If you think it is going to be silent when The Stone Roses are playing listen to 80, 000 people singing along to this:

Definitely a cool video but that concert was in their hometown of Manchester so I'm not sure if that's a good barometer of what the Coachella crowd will be like.

Lurker

Wink Re: The Stone Roses

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    The most common thing I've heard from my friends since the lineup dropped: who the hell are The Stone Roses? Best advice I could give them was to listen to "I Am The Resurrection" and not stop listening until after the instrumental outro. If you're not sold after that then I can't help you.
    Absolutely! Couldnt say it better!! Led Zep would have been proud to have written the last 6 minutes of ressurection..

Quote Originally Posted by markalfieday View Post
    Absolutely! Couldnt say it better!! Led Zep would have been proud to have written the last 6 minutes of ressurection..
    As I reconnect with both albums, I think the long, ethereal intro and outro jams to Ten Storey Love Song are also defining moments for them. Second Coming does not have the overwhelming list of songs as the first album, but I really like their sound on it.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    Is this the part where everybody acts like they love The Stone Roses beyond their one classic song on the debut album?
    which song are you talking about- I bets its fools gold. It isnt even on the original record-

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    Oh man, I wonder why your English mother knows an English band that was relevant when she was much younger?

And weren't you Englishmen up in arms when Jay-Z was headlining Glastonbury? And he was actually still relevant when he did. 18-24 year olds in Southern California are not rocking out to Happy Mondays.
    Dude, I quote you on a different blog "I fucking love the Stone Roses but a lot of people on this forum were talking about how so-so they are live. I haven't had the chance to see them live, but I guess we'll find out in April." Not really sure what all the moaning is about- you clearly love the roses

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by BearBear View Post
    Definitely a cool video but that concert was in their hometown of Manchester so I'm not sure if that's a good barometer of what the Coachella crowd will be like.
    They then did a seel out tour in Europe, currently in Austrialia, its international man!!!

Lurker

Cool Re: The Stone Roses

Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    I am a fan of The Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays, however I much prefer the Happy Mondays. I am sure the two bands get compared a lot being that both were huge pillars of the Madchester scene. My question for The Stone Roses fans out there is do you prefer them over the Happy Mondays, and if so, why? One of the main reasons I prefer Happy Mondays is because of the prominent acid house elements in their songs, in comparison to The Stone Roses, who utilized some acid house elements but not to the extent that the Mondays did. Also another question I have is do you feel that The Stone Roses were more influential than the Happy Mondays? I ask this question in order to potentially justify their headliner status. I admit I was very surprised to see they received such high billing, considering the Mondays were a 3rd/4th name billing on the second line of the 2007 poster.
    Im from Manchestester, live in the US now. Hent to the Haciende, Devilles etc etc...Mondays were a great band. I liked most of the Manchester Bands. Roses and New Order wer my faves, but loved the Mondays too. For me, the Roses are the Roses. Their lyrics and their music just connected to the way a lot of us felt about living there (ie Todays the day she swore, to teal what she couldnt afford, and race from this whole she called home, she's a waterfall etc etc). Mondays, who I thought were great: (Son im 30, I only fkd with your mother coz she was dirty) were just different, party hard druggies. They have their place. Problem with the Mondays was, Paul Oakenfold basiclly rewrote all the music. Last real mondays album was Bummed. For me, Roses just connected. Sounds sad, listening to them really changed my life, got me through the hard times and were the soundtrack to the good times-. Made of Stone really really still brings a tear. the lyrics, that guitar solo. Same for "this is the one", which is an anthem. I like the Mondays, saw them (ie Ryder and some other poeple I never seen before) in chicago supporting teh Psych Furs-all abit souless really. Seen the roses live many times, they are definately top of their game now. I CANT WAIT for Coachella

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I've seen 2 Stone Roses sets. One was ok, and the other was the worst headline set I've ever witnessed (Reading). Reports from last year seem to say they are a lot tighter now, with Ian even singing in tune on occasion.
    Iwas at Spike Island, Readding, Manchester Appollo (solo gig), Feile Festival (89-97). Spike Island I dont remember, Feille was amazing. Reading ( anight out before with Saun Ryder, it was trully a terrible gig and me missed orbital for it). Now, check out Tin the park (browns solo gg), Glasto, V fest, Fuji Rock, Heatonpark vids- these guys are top of their game now. Its going to be AWESOMEme

Lurker

Cool Re: The Stone Roses

Quote Originally Posted by nechadi View Post
    Pretty sure the YYY's would pack the place more than Stone Roses. No offense to the SR's, but...just tryin to be realistic here...
    Your kidding me right? by that logic, better get Britney Spears out, better still, Tina Turner. Cmon dude, get real, this is why Coachella is awesome, your gonna get a massive suprise. these guys fookin rock. between now and Coachella, people have time to get upto speed. No offence, but fkin YYYs- they were crap at Lolla and in 20 years time no one, but no one will give a poo aboutYYY. ROses have heritage, changed Brit (ask Coldplay, Oasis, Blur, Ravoneetes, Radiohead) and europena music. YYYS my balls-

One of the Stone Roses early songs - All Across the Sands

Quote Originally Posted by markalfieday View Post
    Im from Manchestester, live in the US now. Hent to the Haciende, Devilles etc etc...Mondays were a great band. I liked most of the Manchester Bands. Roses and New Order wer my faves, but loved the Mondays too. For me, the Roses are the Roses. Their lyrics and their music just connected to the way a lot of us felt about living there (ie Todays the day she swore, to teal what she couldnt afford, and race from this whole she called home, she's a waterfall etc etc). Mondays, who I thought were great: (Son im 30, I only fkd with your mother coz she was dirty) were just different, party hard druggies. They have their place. Problem with the Mondays was, Paul Oakenfold basiclly rewrote all the music. Last real mondays album was Bummed. For me, Roses just connected. Sounds sad, listening to them really changed my life, got me through the hard times and were the soundtrack to the good times-. Made of Stone really really still brings a tear. the lyrics, that guitar solo. Same for "this is the one", which is an anthem. I like the Mondays, saw them (ie Ryder and some other poeple I never seen before) in chicago supporting teh Psych Furs-all abit souless really. Seen the roses live many times, they are definately top of their game now. I CANT WAIT for Coachella
    I want to meet you. haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

yeah, he seems awesome.

Roses fans may want to pickup this book for details on their back story (exp: in the early days Ian would get hopped up on speed, slick back his hair vampiro style, and go through the audience with a stick). Also, looks like there is an updated, more expensive "Third Coming" edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalen View Post
    you're a complete fucking idiot. do u honestly think Goldenvoice would book them to HEADLINE if they thought nobody was interested? it will be packed in and everyone will be singing along.
    I know I will.

As an aside does anyone know whether I'll be allowed to bring my MUFC flag in?

For those of you who do not know who The Stone Roses are or no very little about them, I have a few links for you to look at.

The Stone Roses - Voted best British album of all time.

Official Stone Roses website

Stone Roses fan site

Don't Stop

Ian Brown website

579515_375630822515461_1047645776_n.jpg
    Last edited by Cain85; 02-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    It's like a Spinal Tap joke:

"I told them once, I told them a hundred times, put The Stone Roses first and 'Puppet Show' last."
    Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    This is actually true.

Reni left before the '95 tour, so these will be the first U.S. shows, with Reni, ever.
    Guess if Hollywood High is good enough for Moz ...

Last edited by kvnty; 03-01-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Its gonna be massive!
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Great overall performance from Stone Roses this first weekend. They really hit a stride with Fool's Gold. John Squire... forgot how great he is. Between FG and Love Spreads, easily the best guitar work I've seen this weekend (J Mascis left to go).

Ian was good but he struggled mightily with Don't Stop after Waterfall. Spot on, other than that. Small but terrific crowd for a main stage show. Really would love to see them again, weekend 2.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Great overall performance from Stone Roses this first weekend. They really hit a stride with Fool's Gold. John Squire... forgot how great he is. Between FG and Love Spreads, easily the best guitar work I've seen this weekend (J Mascis left to go).

Ian was good but he struggled mightily with Don't Stop after Waterfall. Spot on, other than that. Small but terrific crowd for a main stage show. Really would love to see them again, weekend 2.
    Great News - Wish we could get more of the youngins to give them a shot, but despite Ian's Vocals, sounds like most who were excited about the Roses in the first place left quite satisfied with the set.

Will be there cheering along from the beginning Weekend 2, and you're right, Squires is truly one of the elite guitarists of the last 30 years.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

It really was an excellent set. Ian struggled in a few places but overall performed better than I had dared to hope. The rest of the band freaking killed it. One of my top shows I've ever seen at Coachella.

Lots of good Stone Roses swag available at Coachella. Got both these hats

IMG_05461_zps2937a49a (1).jpg

Also, there are 4 t-shirts available. One is a Coachella "exclusive". The others are more traditional concert tshirts with a lemon slice on front (black and white) and a ringed soccer tshirt with the small logo lemon on front and a number on back. Very nice stuff.