Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: New Order

Default Re: New Order

Joy Division and New Order master tapes go on sale

Former assistant of producer Martin Hannett searching for collector to preserve rare tapes from early 80s.

Sean Michaels

theguardian.com, Thursday 15 August 2013 07.35 EDT

Joy Division, New Order and Magazine master tapes from the early 1980s are to be sold by a producer's former assistant. Photograph: Chris Mills/Redferns

A former assistant of Martin Hannett is selling dozens of the producer's master tapes, including recordings and outtakes by Joy Division, Durutti Column, New Order and Magazine. Julia Adamson is looking for a collector to preserve the archive before it "deteriorates", claiming that the bands and their labels aren't interested in taking ownership.

Writing on Facebook this week, Adamson claimed that she had "rescued" about 30 tapes from when she worked for Hannett in the early 80s. "I have looked after these tapes for a long time," she wrote. "They are very old and probably deteriorating and should be baked or whatever, nor do I really want to look after them anymore ... When I approached the artists (who were my first port of call) I was subjected to accusations and abuse. So I dont really care anymore. I know they are worth something to a collector ... Anyone interested?"

A photograph shows the reels boxes marked with things like "Joy Division - 'New Order' theme music", "Joy Division Outtakes", "Psychedelic Furs" and "Urban Shakedown". There is also apparently a copy master of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures that "far surpasses the mastering from vinyl over the years". While Adamson tried contacting the surviving members of Joy Division, it was apparently "to no avail". Only Peter Hook answered; "he's not a happy bunny," Adamson said, and it seems he didn't want to buy the tapes either.

Just as buying a CD doesn't confer the right to copy and re-sell that album, purchasing this collection doesn't affect whether or not the buyer could legally release the contents. Nevertheless, there's certainly a market for rare tapes among fans, and some commenters proposed that the Manchester District Music Archive might be interested in acquiring the set.

For now, Adamson is fielding offers. The founder of Invisiblegirl Records, she worked for Hannett from 1981 to 1983, according to Slicing Up Eyeballs, and later spent six years as a member of the Fall.

Hannett, who produced records including New Order's Movement, Magazine's The Correct Use of Soap and both Joy Division albums, died in 1991.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    Would like to take a moment to thank one of the greatest bands of all time for their legendary music and fantastic live shows this year. You were the consummate professionals at Coachella, despite the windstorm, and rocked the mother fucking Windy City to the ground at Lolla. You have made this life that much better for many of us.
    Co-signed. Both their Coachella and Lolla sets were great

pretty sad I missed there set, but the conflicts that day were just too much
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Yeah, I was certain there would be RIOT because of the conflicts Saturday night. Haha.

I'm also sad that my body bitched out that night, and I had to hit the sack early.

The set at Osheaga was far tighter and cleaner than at Coachella weekend one. Had I known at the time I would end up seeing them at Osheaga, I would have gone to Sigur Ros instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

That must have been an awesome show at Osheaga, because they were fantastic in the desert.

Um, I didn't feel that way about the weekend one set. There was one point where the drum kit malfunctioned and they kicked it over in frustration, it seemed very diva and over the top and it was not cool. They also complained the stage was wet and wasn't looked after and made a whole scene and bitched during the set, so it left a bad taste in my mouth.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

I didn't pay attention to the complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Um, I didn't feel that way about the weekend one set. There was one point where the drum kit malfunctioned and they kicked it over in frustration, it seemed very diva and over the top and it was not cool. They also complained the stage was wet and wasn't looked after and made a whole scene and bitched during the set, so it left a bad taste in my mouth.
    But that's New Order for ya! Hell, Bernard was complaining and whining back in 2005 as well.

The Sigur Ros vs Booka Shade was already too much. I only realize too late that I will have more chances to see both of them than New Order
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Their set was one of my highlights.

I was glad to see them in Montreal, since I doubt I'll have the chance again.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Joy Division and New Order master tapes go on sale

Former assistant of producer Martin Hannett searching for collector to preserve rare tapes from early 80s.

Sean Michaels

theguardian.com, Thursday 15 August 2013 07.35 EDT

Joy Division, New Order and Magazine master tapes from the early 1980s are to be sold by a producer's former assistant. Photograph: Chris Mills/Redferns

A former assistant of Martin Hannett is selling dozens of the producer's master tapes, including recordings and outtakes by Joy Division, Durutti Column, New Order and Magazine. Julia Adamson is looking for a collector to preserve the archive before it "deteriorates", claiming that the bands and their labels aren't interested in taking ownership.

Writing on Facebook this week, Adamson claimed that she had "rescued" about 30 tapes from when she worked for Hannett in the early 80s. "I have looked after these tapes for a long time," she wrote. "They are very old and probably deteriorating and should be baked or whatever, nor do I really want to look after them anymore ... When I approached the artists (who were my first port of call) I was subjected to accusations and abuse. So I dont really care anymore. I know they are worth something to a collector ... Anyone interested?"

A photograph shows the reels boxes marked with things like "Joy Division - 'New Order' theme music", "Joy Division Outtakes", "Psychedelic Furs" and "Urban Shakedown". There is also apparently a copy master of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures that "far surpasses the mastering from vinyl over the years". While Adamson tried contacting the surviving members of Joy Division, it was apparently "to no avail". Only Peter Hook answered; "he's not a happy bunny," Adamson said, and it seems he didn't want to buy the tapes either.

Just as buying a CD doesn't confer the right to copy and re-sell that album, purchasing this collection doesn't affect whether or not the buyer could legally release the contents. Nevertheless, there's certainly a market for rare tapes among fans, and some commenters proposed that the Manchester District Music Archive might be interested in acquiring the set.

For now, Adamson is fielding offers. The founder of Invisiblegirl Records, she worked for Hannett from 1981 to 1983, according to Slicing Up Eyeballs, and later spent six years as a member of the Fall.

Hannett, who produced records including New Order's Movement, Magazine's The Correct Use of Soap and both Joy Division albums, died in 1991.
    There was also a story of Chef Jamie Oliver recently remodeling a new restaurant in Manchester in a building that had perviously been a bank. In the basement they found discarded safe deposit boxes that the bank had left when they could not contact the owners when the bank went out of business. In the boxes they found millions in money, jewelry etc but also the master recordings from Joy Division and New Order. Someone had put them in the bank and forgotten where they were?
    2014...Pixies San Jose, Queens of the Stone Age Vegas, Flogging Molly Oakland, Beck SB Arlington, Coachella weekend 1, Dum Dum Girls Roxy, The National SB Bowl, X Roxy, X San Luis Obispo, Echo and the Bunnymen Orpheum LA, FYF Los Angeles, Weezer Paso Robles, Queens of the Stone Age MEXICO CITY and the Forum, and every single show at the Santa Barbara Bowl for the 2014 season, good, bad or indifferent

Lurker

It's looking great and outstanding. It was a Awesome performance. finally set up all tune.