Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: This Lineup Sucks. Coachella Can Suck It!

VigoTheCarpathian

Default Re: This Lineup Sucks. Coachella Can Suck It!

Hi stilllurking, let's talk about music. What kind of music do you like? Who would you like to see at coachella? You know, RHCP were so relevant in 2006 and all. Who do you find relevant today? Who did you find relevant ten years ago? Im genuinely curious?

Also, have you researched the artists on this lineup? Tell us who you like and dislike.

VigoTheCarpathian

I was hoping for a Schoenberg ballet but alas coachella is not the place for that.

Quote Originally Posted by still_lurking View Post
    First off -- headliners should have at least 10,000,000 youtube hits for at least one song.
    Are you talking about my fellow Korean singer?

If coachella gets Daft Punk, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Outkast reunion, then what should they do for you whiners the next year?
    And I'm sure there are lots and lots of people who would have complained about Stones and Bowie too.
    Who are other headliner material for you? And it shouldn't be a lazy repeat, right?
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    I was hoping for a Schoenberg ballet but alas coachella is not the place for that.
    Schoenberg hasn't been relevant for years. Since Black Swan it's all about Tchaikovsky these days.

I am hoping for a VigoInsanity at the beer garden. I'm a big fan!
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

For me, part of the excitement of the release of the line-up is the shock of who GV managed to get. Last year to see Dre & Snoop on the line-up, even though I really don't care for rap, immediately induced a sense of excitement. They really closed it out with a bang.

My initial reaction to the line-up was utter disappointment. Not because it isn't a great line-up, but rather it's lacking that 'OH MY GOD' what a way to close out Coachella. Spending more time looking at the smaller print, I'm getting excited again. But seriously - RHCP? Come on GV! This lacks imagination, originality. With so many artists coming out with new music this year, we're stuck with RHCP? Boo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

I will attempt to play moderator here.

I think a lot of the long-timers and regulars are being a little defensive/reactionary in discounting the importance of headliners. I do think Boourns' statement is the most interesting thing to rise above this din of bickering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I don't know how Phoenix and RHCP are considered headliners that take Coachella back to "indie roots". I heard them on the radio in 2012 more times than I can even count. I just really wonder who they tried for. I would have loved a Tears for Fears/Talking Heads for a classic 'reunion' thing, Blur & Stone Roses or someone more mainstream/fun to close. I guess that's the biggest bummer. You want to end Sunday on a crazy highnote and there just isn't that element.

This year's lineup to me is a true return to the less mainstream Coachella of old. Any whiney asshole who bitches about Coachella becoming more mainstream every year has been shutted the fuck up. This lineup is fucking stacked to me and I'm worried as hell about conflicts. Every single headliner is at the very least decent and the Sahara lineup is the best in years. I'm sure money is of course a motivation for not booking Rolling Stones or some other high dollar headliner and some have criticized Goldenvoice for not doing so, but to me it's ridiculous to suggest that they need to get more in demand Top 40 artists and give them tons of cash in order to not be greedy.

Fuck The Postal Service. Owl City's got 80,000,000 youtube hits on those guys. Saturday add for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Hi stilllurking, let's talk about music. What kind of music do you like? Who would you like to see at coachella? You know, RHCP were so relevant in 2006 and all. Who do you find relevant today? Who did you find relevant ten years ago? Im genuinely curious?

Also, have you researched the artists on this lineup? Tell us who you like and dislike.

You know, RHCP were so relevant in 2006 and all
    --glad you got my point

Haven't bothered researching the bottom four rows because I will be trying to get my money back on stubhub. I live in Los Angeles, and have the opportunity at any time to go to plenty of $8-$15 concerts for bands I have never heard of before. I'd prefer my money going to local venues than Goldenvoice's pockets.

For $380, I expect there to be a grouping of many known bands that have pull. Yes, there are a large amount of middle of the road bands -- but for the price, they don't cut it. $200 - $240 is a more realistic price for this year's event. There is not one legit headliner on this list.

I like all types of music btw. 80s, hip/hop, old shit, new shit. Dubstep sucks. Thats one of the reasons I like Coachella - variety of all types, and then you get your money's worth with the headliners. I'm not one of those hipsters that decide to miss Radiohead or Arcade Fire to go to a tent to hear some hipster-trendy band nobody has heard of. I want to see what I've paid for, and the bulk of the money that is going towards the bands has gone to the headliners.

They could get the Scorpions to close out Coachella...and they could end the show with Wind of Change. That would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by omerta View Post
    Are you talking about my fellow Korean singer?

If coachella gets Daft Punk, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Outkast reunion, then what should they do for you whiners the next year?
    And I'm sure there are lots and lots of people who would have complained about Stones and Bowie too.
    Who are other headliner material for you? And it shouldn't be a lazy repeat, right?
    See post #179

Wind of Change is my guilty pleasure. Carry on..
    '99 '06 '07 '08 '09 '11 '12 '13

Lurker

Not the biggest fan of this year's lineup.

I've been to 5 Coachellas (2004-2007, 2011), and I almost certainly won't be able to make it this year. There have certainly been years where I've looked at the lineup and be pretty enthused, but I don't know how anyone could view this lineup and not be excited. This is the deepest lineup--by far--that I have ever seen. I would argue that the people who are complaining about the headliners are doing Coachella wrong. The mainstage is a major cluster to begin with--if you really care about the headliner, it takes a lot of time and effort to get a good spot to go see them, and even that "good spot" is nowhere near as a good spot as you could get in one of the tents with 1/10th the effort. There are so many good bands to see on this lineup, I don't know why you'd even bother with the headliners (and I actually would be pretty enthused to see the headliners, with the exception of RHCP, who I've seen enough by now).

Headliners are meh, but I am still going to have a great time.

I hope everyone folllows through and sells their passes, so the scalpers lose big time. Also, more room to dance!
    06', 07', 08', 09', 10', 11', 12', 13'

Everything I wanted isn't there. But there are tons of acts I'd be happy enough to see to still want to go. I'm in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by still_lurking View Post
    I'd prefer my money going to local venues than Goldenvoice's pockets.
    So then you avoid the Glass House, the Fonda, the El Rey and the Fox Theater? Rough life for a concertgoer in LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

This thread:

Quote Originally Posted by JulianAniel View Post
    Everything I wanted isn't there. But there are tons of acts I'd be happy enough to see to still want to go. I'm in the middle.
    I know what you mean (with D' and Fiona and MBV and Knife missing) but this is a deep fucking lineup. Can't get everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So then you avoid the Glass House, the Fonda, the El Rey and the Fox Theater? Rough life for a concertgoer in LA.
    Lol. I can't tell if that's a troll or not. So...well done?

Isn't AEG up for sale? Does this have to do GV not putting out enough?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    Isn't AEG up for sale? Does this have to do GV not putting out enough?
    The answer is no and GV answered that on the S.S. Coachella cruise Q&A.

Quote Originally Posted by romanticizer View Post
    I don't know how Phoenix and RHCP are considered headliners that take Coachella back to "indie roots".
    ^this. RHCP has been signed to Warner Bros. for quite some time now and is extremely mainstream. If that's "indie" rock then we should just consider Justin Bieber indie rock also. Point being, they had no intentions of trying to return to some made up "indie rock roots" these long-time board members clamor on about, they couldn't get big headliners that were relevant so they went with Red Hot Chili Peppers and had some bands who were originally slotted for sub-headliners bumped up. That simple.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    While Blur/Stone Roses and Phoenix are not exactly a big deal
    Name me a better 1-2 co-headliner booking from any festival worldwide in the past 4 years.

A couple things no one's posted in this thread yet.

One is that the on paper line-up and the final experience rarely have little correspondence.

Bands most aren't keyed on knock it out of the park (Gil Scott Heron 2010, Foals & Elbow 2011)...everyone's must gets finally arrives and disappoint (ie Radiohead 2012, Fever Ray 2010) and scheduling conflicts either make or break your day.

The line-up sucks argument is a tradition, but 2008 is the only year I can remember it being as loud as this year's, and it ended up being my favorite Coachella ever.

2010 was the year that received the lightest complaints about what was on paper, and it was easily my least favorite festival, and the day that was most stacked, Sunday (possibly the most stacked single day in festival's history to my ears), kinda stunk because I was half-setting everyone I wanted to catch.

Second, Coachella is as much about discovery as it is seeing your sacred cows, at least it is for me. As the years have gone on, the 11-3pm stretch has in some ways become my favorite part of each day. No expectations, smaller crowds, No must sees, just four hours of pleasant, stress free surprises from young bands hoping to make their mark.

So I get that some mostly younger fans are saying The Stone Roses, wtf, not realizing that the whole rave scene they cherish actually originated around the Stone Roses, but trust me, every year GV stuffs the polo fields with 120 - 170 acts, and every one of those acts has in some way earned the right to be a part of the bill.

Coachella has never been about the headliners, the joys of the experience has never been limited to the headliners (I've been 50-50 on catching Headliner sets at best) - just go for the full 14 hours each day, keep an open mind, and it's hard to imagine your experience being anything other than awesome.

If GV is still negotiating with other headliners, do you think that they are waiting to see how ticket sales are gonna be on Tuesday so they can leverage their price? Like, if (name your huge act) is still waiting to sign for $14 million, do you think if GV sells out both weekends that they can negotiate them down to let's say $13 million?

Or, is this the lineup and I'm going to have fun regardless.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    GV forced people to buy passes? Like with a gun to the head of each and every customer? Didn't realize the power they had.

Guess one thing we have learned is that you like to make shitty wagers.
    Guess im right dipshit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/coach...up-2013-2013-1

Just for the record i think the lineup is better than '11 and '12, but i think forcing a sellout without giving a lineup is bullshit.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Guess im right dipshit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/coach...up-2013-2013-1

Just for the record i think the lineup is better than '11 and '12, but i think forcing a sellout without giving a lineup is bullshit.
    There are a number of items factually incorrect with that article.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    A couple things no one's posted in this thread yet.

One is that the on paper line-up and the final experience rarely have little correspondence.

Bands most aren't keyed on knock it out of the park (Gil Scott Heron 2010, Foals & Elbow 2011)...everyone's must gets finally arrives and disappoint (ie Radiohead 2012, Fever Ray 2010) and scheduling conflicts either make or break your day.

The line-up sucks argument is a tradition, but 2008 is the only year I can remember it being as loud as this year's, and it ended up being my favorite Coachella ever.

2010 was the year that received the lightest complaints about what was on paper, and it was easily my least favorite festival, and the day that was most stacked, Sunday (possibly the most stacked single day in festival's history to my ears), kinda stunk because I was half-setting everyone I wanted to catch.

Second, Coachella is as much about discovery as it is seeing your sacred cows, at least it is for me. As the years have gone on, the 11-3pm stretch has in some ways become my favorite part of each day. No expectations, smaller crowds, No must sees, just four hours of pleasant, stress free surprises from young bands hoping to make their mark.

So I get that some mostly younger fans are saying The Stone Roses, wtf, not realizing that the whole rave scene they cherish actually originated around the Stone Roses, but trust me, every year GV stuffs the polo fields with 120 - 170 acts, and every one of those acts has in some way earned the right to be a part of the bill.

Coachella has never been about the headliners, the joys of the experience has never been limited to the headliners (I've been 50-50 on catching Headliner sets at best) - just go for the full 14 hours each day, keep an open mind, and it's hard to imagine your experience being anything other than awesome.
    Wait....who was disappointed with Fever Ray?
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

the fuck is with you elitist "regular" fucks on this board that wont shut the fuck up about how amazing the undercard is and that people should shut up about the headliners?

the undercard is fucking stacked EVERY SINGLE YEAR. when has coachella put out a shit lineup from top to bottom? every single year there is a great undercard, that's kind of the point of paying out the ass for this festival.

and it's funny because you guys being so defensive about the undercard proves just how shitty the headliners really are. its like you guys want to pretend GV is some magical unicorn of a company that can never do no wrong. yeah its just a coincidence that they go to two weekends, pull everyone in with the cheese edm, and then give us a budget lineup the following year with an insanely early presale and double the revenue from two weekends. i mean fuck, give me one act on this lineup that cost them a lot of money to book.

my god
    Last edited by igotmyxomatosis; 01-26-2013 at 01:18 PM.