Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: This Lineup Sucks. Coachella Can Suck It!

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: This Lineup Sucks. Coachella Can Suck It!

Quote Originally Posted by kurtchel View Post
    I was prepared to go regardless of the lineup, but the headliners changed my mind.
    Impeccable logic.

Lurker

Disappointment on the headliners.....Just BLAH! I hate missing the festival......for the energy....but the music is the draw....and it's lacking so much....

I took this year off. Made the right decision. It's not just the questionable headliners. It's where are the others -- e.g.:Atoms For Peace, etc. Even the second and third-tier bands aren't doing it for me, aside from Sigur Ros, Spiritualized and a couple of others. But hey, maybe they'll add a headliner to Saturday. Can't be Phoenix, seriously.
    2014 completely unrealistic wishlist: Radiohead, Atoms For Peace, Elbow, Doves, Kristin Hersh, David Bowie, Kate Bush, Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Shy Child, Massive Attack, Zero 7, The Dickies, Holy Fuck, Seun Kuti and Egypt 80, The Flaming Lips

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    is that chucky canuck guy kroqken?
    Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post
    Naw, too much hair.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    I agree.

My point is that they forced everyone to buy a ticket last year and then release a lineup that would have a hard time selling out. I think it is a pretty fucked up tactic that made them a lot of money. Id wager that 75% of ticketholders are mainstream music fans that are horrified with this lineup.

Also, if rhcp is a "backup" headliner, what other backup headliners cancelled to give blur and pheonix that status.
    This feels a bit like a trend adjusting lineup to me - mainstream teenage listeners focus on the headliners... broad minded music lover's care about the full lineup.

Crowds were increasingly resembling a Pacific Palisades High School senior class ditch day getaway rather than a gathering of fans of the most critically acclaimed bands around. Rolling Stones would not have changed that this lineup is less oriented to the high school and college I'm just here for the party set than the last couple years. Feels like a conscious effort on GVs part to test how financially dependent they are on that crowd now by not putting out what they would want but which will have tremendous appeal to long time attendees.

Y'all need to take a chill pill

(y'all, not just the complainers)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Question for the idea that this lineup is geared towards a "music lover" or "no bro" audience:

Do you think that partygoers were stoked to see Radiohead atop the lineup? Who does KROQ give more airplay to these days - Radiohead, or Phoenix & RHCP? Furthermore, isn't KROQ blasting the shit out of the Lumineers, Of Monsters & Men, Alex Clare, Passion Pit, etc these days, not to mention Postal Service, Social Distortion, Franz Ferdinand, and a ton others? I don't think this lineup will have a significant effect on the "demographics" of the crowd.

And to say things like "wutever i dont care bout headliner"...I'd be interested in running a double-blind random-sample lineup-viewing study to really verify whether what we say and how we feel are really one and the same.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Bro, you just don't understand. We HAD to buy tickets last year and they LIED to us. How am I gonna rave to Lou Reed? Who is Stone Roses anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    You dont see my point. I think the lineup is great for indie rock lovers. If coachella is going back to a more indie rock theme, that is fine.

The presale this year was massive in the wake of swedish house mafia, radiohead, and a tupac hologram. Now you have ticket holders that dont even know who blur is.... Kinda fucked up imo. If they were going to change themes, why did they force a presale? You are telling me the presale wasnt a cash grab trying to score on the hype from last year?

My other point is that i would not pay 380$ for these undercards. Sigor ros is costing me 15$ and i wont be dealing with do-lab sound bleed. If you think this ticket an the experience is worth it, good for you.
    Couldn't agree more with this post. If you're paying $380 for a ticket, the expectation is that there will be some expensive headliners. The fest's sound is much worse than any other venue I've been to, and you need to add in the nasty sound bleed from some shitty DJ dome they stick nearby.

The headliners are:

First off -- headliners should have at least 10,000,000 youtube hits for at least one song. If you don't, you don't deserve to headline. Instead you should just be a cool undercard. Period.

Blur - hasn't been relevant for years and only has a few hits (excellent songs nonetheless). Definitely not headliner material. Years ago, Blur would have been on the right side of the 2nd row or on the 3rd and they were more relevant then.
    The Stone Roses -- if you're a headliner you need to at least have 1 song with 3 million hits on youtube. If someone could please find a song with more than 3M hits, it is much appreciated.

Phoenix -- I like them quite a bit, however...don't see them as headliner material.
    XX -- seriously??? WTF...yea they have a few good vibes but no way are they a headliner.

Chili Peppers -- way more relevant in 2006 when they got douched by Tiesto "being late" and Tiesto finished the night. Peppers are the only real headliner out of this group even though they are not as relevent now.
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- Maybe someone fucked up when making this poster and accidentally put them as a coheadliner.

Here is a link to the posters: http://www.coachella.com/interact/posters#!prettyPhoto

Can't find a worse year for headliners, and its really no contest either.

The coachella luster is gone, and now its just a branded, disappointing, money grab.

You will find my ticket on stubhub.com

What was the last relevant song that Roger Waters released? Paul McCartney? Tool?

Youtube hits as a measure for popularity=Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen headlining.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by still_lurking View Post
    Couldn't agree more with this post. If you're paying $380 for a ticket, the expectation is that there will be some expensive headliners. The fest's sound is much worse than any other venue I've been to, and you need to add in the nasty sound bleed from some shitty DJ dome they stick nearby.

The headliners are:

First off -- headliners should have at least 10,000,000 youtube hits for at least one song. If you don't, you don't deserve to headline. Instead you should just be a cool undercard. Period.

Blur - hasn't been relevant for years and only has a few hits (excellent songs nonetheless). Definitely not headliner material. Years ago, Blur would have been on the right side of the 2nd row or on the 3rd and they were more relevant then.
    The Stone Roses -- if you're a headliner you need to at least have 1 song with 3 million hits on youtube. If someone could please find a song with more than 3M hits, it is much appreciated.

Phoenix -- I like them quite a bit, however...don't see them as headliner material.
    XX -- seriously??? WTF...yea they have a few good vibes but no way are they a headliner.

Chili Peppers -- way more relevant in 2006 when they got douched by Tiesto "being late" and Tiesto finished the night. Peppers are the only real headliner out of this group even though they are not as relevent now.
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- Maybe someone fucked up when making this poster and accidentally put them as a coheadliner.

Here is a link to the posters: http://www.coachella.com/interact/posters#!prettyPhoto

The coachella luster is gone, and now its just a branded, disappointing, money grab.

While you're selling your tickets on stubhub.com, can you take a few minutes and also delete your account here in protest? Thank you in advance.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

The headliners are:

This is so unbelievably stupid.

That would make sense if the $15 ticket was for a full concert -- but Coachella is NOT a full concert. Its anywhere between 35 - 60 minutes for most, headliners will sometimes go longer.

That being said, a normal concert will last for a total of at least 3 hours.

Lets take those $15 tickets and expand them to 3 hours. Being generous, that now equates to about $45/per real show @ coachella.

Doesn't look like a deal now...does it?

Quote Originally Posted by chucky canuck View Post
    I took this year off. Made the right decision. It's not just the questionable headliners. It's where are the others -- e.g.:Atoms For Peace, etc. Even the second and third-tier bands aren't doing it for me, aside from Sigur Ros, Spiritualized and a couple of others. But hey, maybe they'll add a headliner to Saturday. Can't be Phoenix, seriously.
    They're not going to be adding a headliner. But if they were, it won't be Saturday. That day is already stacked beyond belief and has the most bands playing.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

The headliners are:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **catch my breath**HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH

That would make sense if the $15 ticket was for a full concert -- but Coachella is NOT a full concert. Its anywhere between 35 - 60 minutes for most, headliners will sometimes go longer.

That being said, a normal concert will last for a total of at least 3 hours.

Lets take those $15 tickets and expand them to 3 hours. Being generous, that now equates to about $45/per real show @ coachella.

Doesn't look like a deal now...does it?

The headliners are:

still_lurking, is it? if only

Originally Posted by still_lurking

The headliners are:

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    This is so unbelievably stupid.
    Its easy to say "this is so unbelievably stupid" without stating reasons.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

This is true, but it's also easy to sound unbelievably stupid by stating a bunch of reasons, too. That's what I think is the essential difference of opinion here.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Especially with regards to the dashes.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Pretty sure even seeing half of the bands I will end up seeing will pay for my $800 VIP ticket easily. (In terms of seeing those bands individually)

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

If you've sold as many albums as Pink Floyd or the Beatles, then that would trump youtube. That being said, Roger Waters still has plenty of 10,000,000+ youtube hits. McCartney is the only living Beatle, and I'm no fan of his either. Either way, he is still the only relevant Beatle and you can youtube him too. He's also in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame and his ticket prices were the most expensive in 2012. Those are both real headliners.

As for Tool -- they are amazing and they have at least 5 songs with youtube hits at 10,000,000+++++...stopped looking after seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What was the last relevant song that Roger Waters released? Paul McCartney? Tool?

Youtube hits as a measure for popularity=Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen headlining.

Why are you insisting on measuring "ability to headline major music festival" with "millions of YouTube hits"? It makes literally no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post

If you're saying the dashes are stupid, you should open up a Microsoft Office application and type the 2 dashes and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Especially with regards to the dashes.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtchel View Post
    I don't most people are mad that the headliners aren't mainstream or popular enough, but that they aren't a huge "get". Daft Punk is a huge get, especially since they aren't touring this year.
    You answered your own conundrum. Daft Punk would be a huge get, yes. But they aren't touring. They have not finished their new material. Their new album isn't out. They haven't designed the live mix. They have no new live production design or lighting. What are they supposed to do? Get up there and announce into the microphone, "Hey, uh, this is where this new track that we're halfway done with will mix in, just sort of pretend it's going" and use the normal stage lights?

This lineup is inexcusable if The Smiths, OutKast, Daft Punk, Bowie, and Talking Heads are all sitting around with shows ready to go. They aren't. Are these headliners up to par with those in the past? No, but if Daft Punk isn't ready, they AREN'T FUCKING READY. GV saw what was available and decided they would rather have Blur instead of Eminem or Green Day or whatever derpy option is touring. I don't really fault them for that, and I do think they are aware enough to know that the headlining set won't be as strongly attended as others.

VigoTheCarpathian

Best lineup in years. All my friends agree.

I'll be bringing my hologram along with me this year as to elliminate any chances of messy conflicts.

Google: Contrapositive

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post

signed