Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fucking Lou Reed

Default Re: Lou Fucking Reed

The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    I have seen Lou Three times Velvets my all time favorite band and I wont miss but hes an old crank now who hates being defined by the velvet years. He'll most likely do Rock N Roll and Walk On Wild Side but after that all bets are off.
    lol, so The Velvet Underground is your favorite band yet you're not aware that Walk on the Wild Side is a Lou Reed solo song?
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    lol, so The Velvet Underground is your favorite band yet you're not aware that Walk on the Wild Side is a Lou Reed solo song?
    Not sure how you get that out of what he said Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

He might do a cameo with Metric like he did in September.

He should do a cameo with Bowie like he did in 72.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

If Lou Reed performed in front of me and didn't do Perfect Day with a full, live arrangement, I would be on trial for the murder of Lou Reed.

Seriously though guys, let's get real. There is nothing melodic about the man. It sounds like somebody is recording music for the deaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Singing melodies is not his strong suit, no.

I think for QC purposes we should take it upon ourselves to create his setlist for him, and through Dani get GV to add it to his contract.

I have never seen Lou Reed live before and I am fucking excited as shit just to be there even if it is a disaster.

I will add that to the list of things I'm currently annoying Dani with.

Number 73.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I think we can agree this should be the opener:

That would be impressive. There are so few acts that have caused me to leave the stage within the opening two minutes of their opening song.

Actually, I'm lying. That happens a lot.

OLDCHELLA strikes again! 70 years old. Thank you, GV!

Lou Reed

As the lead singer and songwriter of the Velvet Underground in the 1960s, Lou Reed helped invent punk rock and while writing about femme fatales, black angels and heroin. In the process, he also brought a stormy dissonance to the foreground, helping to expand the vocabulary of the electric guitar. For the next 40 years, during periods both inspired and hollow, Reed tried his hand all sorts of artsy and evocative music. He loves to mess with his persona (his first big commercial splash came in the guise of glam rock) and in the process he's explored all sorts of unexpected tangents.

Reed (b. Lewis Alan Reed, Mar. 2, 1942, Brooklyn, NY) grew up in Freeport, Long Island, and attended Syracuse University, studying poetry (under Delmore Swartz, to whom Reed dedicated a song on the first Velvet Underground album) and journalism. Reed's poems were published in Fusion magazine. (In 1977 he earned an award from the Coordinating Council of Literary Magazines for his poem "The Slide" and in 1992 was awarded France's Order of Arts and Letters.) After leaving Syracuse, Reed returned to New York and worked for Pickwick Records, taking part in the studio group that recorded various Reed-penned songs. During this period he met the musicians with whom he would subsequently form the Velvet Underground. With future VU member John Cale he formed a band called the Primitives, which then became the Warlocks; they made one record. In the mid-1960s, Reed and Cale connected with Sterling Morrison and Moe Tucker to form the Velvet Underground. The band recorded four classic, highly influential albums between 1966 and 1970, investigating life's darker side positioning themselves as an East Coast antidote to the West Coast sunshine of the hippie era.

Reed's 1970 departure from the Velvet Underground was bitter; he did not even stay to complete their fourth album, Loaded, though songs from that project ("Sweet Jane" and "Rock & Roll") would become cornerstones of his live show and reputation. He became a virtual recluse for nearly two years, until moving to England and beginning a solo career in 1972 with a potent self-titled debut that sustained the intensity of his Velvets work (and used a few left-over songs he'd written during his Velvets tenure). Transformer (Number 29, 1972) was his pop breakthrough, however. Produced by David Bowie, it yielded Reed's only Top Twenty hit to date, "Walk on the Wild Side" (Number 16, 1973), an ode to the denizens of Andy Warhol's 1960s films. With Bowie's aid, Reed made the transition to the glitter rock of the period, camping up fashion sense with bleach-blond hair and black fingernail polish. Glam rock was the rage at the time, and Reed was one of its central figures. In what was to become a common shifting of tone, his 1973 follow-up Berlin was as grim as Transformer had been playful.

Reed's recordings have continued to flaunt this kind of unpredictability. A pair of live albums drawn from the same set of concerts (including Rock 'n' Roll Animal, Number 45, 1974) featured heavy-metal versions of Velvet Underground tunes, while a later tour was built on theatrics. For example, he pretended to shoot up while performing the song "Heroin." The critically panned Sally Can't Dance (Number Ten, 1974) was repudiated by Reed himself — almost upon release. After another live album, he followed with Metal Machine Music, a double album of grating, vocal-less dissonance. It's been seen from two perspectives: a genuine attempt at high art that was worthy of RCA's classical division, and a cagey gambit to get off the label by proffering obnoxiousness.

After a final RCA album, Coney Island Baby (Number 41, 1976), Reed moved to Arista where he made impeccably produced, harrowing music like the title cut of Street Hassle (Number 89, 1978), as well as relatively peaceful outings typified by album titles like Rock and Roll Heart (Number 64, 1976), The Bells (1979) and Growing Up in Public (1980). He married Sylvia Morales on Valentine's Day 1980, and his songs about the seamy side of life began to appear alongside essays on domestic contentment — "I'm an average guy," he sang on his critically acclaimed 1982 album The Blue Mask. The record introduced a trilogy that reminded fans just how powerful Reed could be when firing on all cylinders. With a band that found him trading guitar lines with Robert Quine (of Richard Hell and the Voidoids fame), his new music became sleek yet ornery. On Legendary Hearts (1984) and New Sensations (1985) his lyrics were more pointed, candid, and articulate. When the band wrapped up its run with a bulldozing live disc (they had toured the world twice), one thing was obvious. The Quine years were some of Reed's sharpest. The guitarist parted ways with his boss for Mistrial (1986), but that wasn't the only thing that made the disc a serious step down from its predecessors. Reed's material was meager compared to the trilogy tunes. Mistrial was a snooze.

Its follow up wasn't. Switching labels to Sire, he seemed reborn yet again as he filled the masterful New York (Number 40, 1989) with character sketches and insightful musings about his home. Artistically he'd always been associated with the city's push 'n' shove personality, and the portraits that comprised this disc — made with a new band that featured guitarist Mike Rathke and bassist Rob Wasserman — were piercing. Here was Lou the pundit commenting on everything from AIDS to the Pope.

His next two discs were a walk on the sentimental side. A gentle valentine to Andy Warhol also found him in cahoots with VU associate John Cale. Songs For Drella (1990) had some lovely moments from both singers, with Reed speaking directly to his old pal on "Hello It's Me." On Magic & Loss (1990) it was his dear friend and famed R&B songwriter Doc Pomus that he mourned. This time around, the eulogy was able to bring some turbulence with it. Reed found a way to shed a tear and rock out at the same time.

1990 also saw the near-impossible happen. The Velvet Underground reunited in France to play a benefit, and it opened the door to conversations about more gigs. By 1993 Reed, Cale, Moe Tucker, and Sterling Morrison sorted out their headaches long enough to tour Europe, sharing shows with U2. It didn't last as long as they'd hoped, though. A keenly anticipated swing through America was cancelled without any particular reason given. That, in turn, put the kibosh on a scheduled taping of MTV Unplugged. A strong document of their reunion tour work was released in 1993 as Live: MCMXCIII. The band united once more 1996 when it was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame; their performance was dedicated to Morrison, who died the previous year. The same year Reed put his heart into Set The Twilight Reeling, a sometimes overlooked disc that had several minor pleasures.

Reed published a book of his lyrics, Between Thought and Expression, in 1991; a box set of his work for RCA showed up around the same time. Divorced from his wife Sylvia, he began to pal around with performance artist Laurie Anderson. It was soon obvious that they were in a serious relationship; they're still together now.

Reed collaborated with Robert Wilson for projects that met with mixed reception. Time Rocker was a modern opera produced at the Brooklyn Academy of Music; the New York Times groused that "profundity eludes Mr. Reed's words and the thoughts behind them." In 2000 they reunited for something a bit more palatable, a romp through Edgar Allen Poe's work, entitled Poe-try. Three years later Reed recorded the project, releasing it as the impressive double album, The Raven.

The intimate concert album Perfect Night: Live in London (1998) featured a setlist stretching from the Velvets' "I'll Be Your Mirror" to New York's "Dirty Boulevard." Ditto for Animal Serenade another performance-based overview of his career. The era's studio disc, Ecstasy (2000), also turned out to be a keeper.

By the time Metal Machine Music was reissued in 2000, its reception was far more positive that on original release. Seven years later Lou Reed's Inner Spaces went the opposite way: it was lilting ambient music that Reed recommended for Tai Chi workouts.

In 2008, Reed connected with Julian Schnabel to stage the 33-year-old Berlin in Brooklyn as a multi-media show that featured a chorus and strings. Schnabel filmed the event for a DVD released.

Portions of this biography appeared in The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll (Simon & Schuster, 2001). Jim Macnie contributed to this article.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ar...#ixzz2Izxem3E6
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Metal Machine Music front to back or GTFO
    nvrmnd, u guise.

2012 Setlist:

Brandenburg Gate (Lou Reed & Metallica song)
    Heroin (The Velvet Underground song)
    I'm Waiting for the Man (The Velvet Underground song)
    Senselessly Cruel
    The View (Lou Reed & Metallica song)
    Mistress Dread (Lou Reed & Metallica song)
    Street Hassle
    Cremation
    Think It Over
    Walk on the Wild Side
    Sad Song
    Junior Dad (Lou Reed & Metallica song)
    Encore:
    White Light/White Heat (The Velvet Underground song)
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

2011 Setlist:

Who Loves the Sun (The Velvet Underground song)
    Senselessly Cruel
    All Through the Night
    Ecstasy
    Smalltown (Lou Reed / John Cale song)
    Mother (John Lennon cover)
    Venus in Furs (The Velvet Underground song)
    Sunday Morning (The Velvet Underground song)
    Femme Fatale (The Velvet Underground song)
    Waves of Fear
    Sweet Jane (The Velvet Underground song)
    Encore:
    Charley's Girl
    The Bells
    Pale Blue Eyes (The Velvet Underground song)

Here's a vid of "Sweet Jane" from last year (with I believe Ed Droste on guitar):

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    He better not play any of that Lulu shit...
    This
    Also hopefully he isn't 30 minutes late like he was at Lolla

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    2011 Setlist:

Who Loves the Sun (The Velvet Underground song)
    Senselessly Cruel
    All Through the Night
    Ecstasy
    Smalltown (Lou Reed / John Cale song)
    Mother (John Lennon cover)
    Venus in Furs (The Velvet Underground song)
    Sunday Morning (The Velvet Underground song)
    Femme Fatale (The Velvet Underground song)
    Waves of Fear
    Sweet Jane (The Velvet Underground song)
    Encore:
    Charley's Girl
    The Bells
    Pale Blue Eyes (The Velvet Underground song)
    really hope his setlist ends up looking more like this
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

That 2011 set is much more appealing. Saw him in 84, 86, 89 (new York start to finish), 92 an 97 and he's never disappointed. So much great material, though I agree that he's put out a lot of crap. Simply put, one of the 10 greatest American songwriters ever. Hope he gets the cohen spot.

He's terrible live now. I swear to god if he does another 12 minute rendition of "the raven" by edgar allen poe, i'll slit my wrists...

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    89 (new York start to finish)
    oh man. that must have been great.

So stoked! All of his 2012 setlists have included Heroin, in case anyone was wondering.

Fully aware that Wild Side is a Transformer track...meant to say those are the two crowd pleasers from his vast catalog that I think we can count on being in the mix and after that all bets are off...rest of set could be mostly Lulu and Raven songs...as previous poster said...he plays what he wants not what you want and a lot of his solo work over the years has been really bad...if he decides to focus on work from the Velvets Transformer Street Hassle Coney Island Baby New York Magic And Loss we've got A potentially fantastic set...but I wouldn't count on it.

But hearing Heroin or watching him rip one of those gnarly WLWH tracks like I Heard Her Call My Name would be Heaven for me.

Metal Machine Music front to back or GTFO
    I would lose my shit if this or something in a similar style were to happen.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I have never seen Lou Reed live before and I am fucking excited as shit just to be there even if it is a disaster.
    THIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

It will be interesting to read reviews of his set. I saw him at Lolla '09, he was scheduled from 6:30-7:30, he started at 6:40 and ended at 7:50. He looked frustrated on stage, as if things weren't working properly. He did do Sweet Jane, I'm Waiting For the Man, Walk on the Wild Side and a few solo tracks. It was interesting, I'm glad I got to see him.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I saw him playing with john zorn at NYU earlier this year. he had to have someone with a flashlight walking with him so he could see where he was going. He's a legend but if there's a heavy conflict I don't think I'll see ol' lou this time around
    Shannon and the Clams - The Chapel - SF Feb 1st
    DJ Shadow (DJ set) - The Independent - SF Feb 22
    TOOL - Bill Graham Civic - SF March 12th
    Sleep - Cocoanut Grove - Santa Cruz March 22nd
    Neutral Milk Hotel - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 9th
    The Knife - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 16th

No Bowie, but the guy who sucked his dick? Sure, bring him.

Please..
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

No question and straight into White Light

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post

Leonard Cohen spot would be perfect.

THANK YOU. SURPRIZE US WITH CALE.

Oh yeah and THANK YOU
    ^ This

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    Heroin on the polo fields!
    *FAP* *FAP* *FAP*

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015