Thread: Modern Composers? Ambient? Maybe someday...

Default Modern Composers? Ambient? Maybe someday...

Maybe I'm dreaming too big here - but god I would love to see the day come when the music world embraces modern composers more than we already have - thinkin' more along the lines of ambient/electronic/orchestral type music. Sigur Ros somewhat fall into this category, but they're really more in the pop realm.

I'm talking about Valgeir Sigorosson, Johann Johannsson, Nico Muhly, Ben Frost, Hauschka, Daniel Bjarnason, Nils Frahm, Goldmund - even like Helios, Time Hecker or Hammock. Shit, just throw them in there as the first show in the Gobi and Mojave tents - something we can just lay down and drift away to after a long night. Something that will ease our minds and pure our souls before we step off the deep end.

The more I grow with music, the more this kind of music appeals to me. I'm not old (28), but Rock & Roll truly is a young mans game, and it's not like you're not going to find me at Pearl Jam or My Morning Jacket show losing my shit, but this type of music hits me in such a more profound way. Coachella, you've given us Mum, you're going to give us Sigur Ros...keep it coming. We're not scared!
    Last edited by DaFunkyPrecedent; 01-24-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Default Re: Modern Composers? Ambient? Maybe someday...

it would be an interesting experiment. thanks for the listing a few examples btw. i know classical composers but short of "soundtrack" guys i'm not up to speed on modern composers. i'll have to do some homework
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    it would be an interesting experiment. thanks for the listing a few examples btw. i know classical composers but short of "soundtrack" guys i'm not up to speed on modern composers. i'll have to do some homework
    Johann, Frost, Nico and Valgeir really fall into the "composer" category - some of those guys are part of this collective called The Bedroom Community, which is a place (and I'll quote their website) where "Like-minded, yet diverse individuals from different corners of the globe all creatively orbit around an inconspicuous building and its inhabitants on the outskirts of Reykjavik Iceland- Greenhouse Studios - where the music is mostly created."

Pretty incredible stuff comin' outta there. Sure beats Dub-step.
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Coachella 2014 headliner: 3 nights of Phillip Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

+Holly Herndon

I like pretty much all of the stuff you listed, but sorry, this is just never going to happen at Coachella, and I can only imagine how annoying it would be to try to watch any of these artists with a bunch of bros yelling over it about how sick Kaskade was.

Support. Good post, funky president.

PS I am not being sarcastic, I think this would be very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I like pretty much all of the stuff you listed, but sorry, this is just never going to happen at Coachella, and I can only imagine how annoying it would be to try to watch any of these artists with a bunch of bros yelling over it about how sick Kaskade was.
    i dunno, I mean I know it's not the same thing, but GYBE was pretty fucking great last year, and I can imagine a Tim Hecker 'set' coming off similarly.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

i dunno, I mean I know it's not the same thing, but GYBE was pretty fucking great last year, and I can imagine a Tim Hecker 'set' coming off similarly.
    You have a point - during GYBE I could hear David Guetta's untz in the background occasionally, but I didn't care at all because GYBE was so damn good.

And yeah, Tim Hecker might work. He could just really noisy and loud.

It's just hard to imagine.

VigoTheCarpathian

I suggested that Mono may be there as they have a new album. We do typically get some post-rock/art rock/experimental music (GYBE, Owen Pallet, etc.) and different kinds of things. I hope to see Joanna Newsom on the lineup though it's not likely.

As far as contemporary symphonic composers go: Coachella is just not the place. I really can't imagine John Adams conducting the L.A. Phil on the main stage.
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 01-24-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Coachella Junkie

A certain schoolio nearly had to do a murder on a guy talking on his phone in the middle of the Godspeed tent. I'm not sure if it's possible.

You have Great taste in Music DaFunky. I could list off a couple dozen unknown by most Ambient groups that would have a great response at Coachella. To deprive ones musical palette of these genres is a crime. Most do not appreciate what these musicians have to offer. With 175 Bands going, a couple of these a day wouldn't seem unrealistic. I'm sure with all the love you have for the Icelandic, Sigur Ros is definitely on the menu for you already. You might want to try out Spiritualized on Saturday and for sure, Dead Can Dance on Sunday. DCD have been very busy in the Film Industry just as a lot of your listed Modern Composers have. I know I wont miss them as it will be a nice way to sit back, relax and recharge the batteries needed to power through the exhausting weekends.