Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Raining the Mars Volta

Default It's Raining the Mars Volta

I'll miss you, Volta. 11 times I waited in breathless anticipation as I heard A Fistful of Dollars blare from the speakers. 11 times I went on a crazy, violent, sweet, emotional ride with you to be left exhausted yet wanting more.

I'll never forget. Thanks for the amazing memories.

Here’s Bixler-Zavala’s full statement:

Thank u 2 all VOLTA fans u deserved more especially after the way u rooted for us on this album. I tried my hardest to keep it going… But Bosnian Rainbows was what we all got instead. I can’t sit here and pretend any more. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta… I honestly thank all of you for buying our records and coming to our shows. You guys were a blast to play in front of. We could never had done it with out you. My dream was to get us to the point were Jon Theodore and Ikey Owens came back but sadly it’s over. Thank u a million times over for ever giving a fuck about our band.

For the record I tried my hardest to get a full scale North American tour going for Noctourniquet but Omar did not want to. All I can do is move forward with my music and just be happy that mars volta ever happened at all. God Damn we had a blast. Thank u again. I just feel really guilty for not even really saying the truth because a hiatus is just an insult to the fans. To all our fans all over the world thank you for giving a fuck. You all ruled! I don’t think ill ever hear a fist full of dollars the same. My record will see the light of day soon and I’m excited because it sounds nothing like my previous endeavors. And no I’m not joking about any of this, I owe it 2 u guys to all fans to be serious about this.

Thank u to all past members who helped Volta along as well. we blasted through like a comet and left our mark! If u ever see me in person and want to know why I’ll tell u my story. Please just be happy that it happened at all remember all the opposition we were met with for just starting a new band back in 2001.

And for the record I’m still in love with [At the Drive-In]. Proof was in MY performance. I would never get on stage if my heart was else where. I have cancelled shows before for knowing full well that my heart was not in it at that moment. Why? Because its an insult to the audience.

2 be clear I’m not angry I just wanted to be honest with the people who have allowed me to make a living playing music. What am I suppose to do be some progressive house wife that’s cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands? We owe it 2 fans to tour.

Default Re: It's Raining the Mars Volta

I definitely saw this coming over the last couple TMV albums and with Omar branching out and releasing myriad albums, but for me too these were and will be some of the best shows I've ever seen. Thank you TMV in all your forms.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

THANK GOD. Finally this horrible blight upon the world is over with.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Last edited by Propellerpete; 01-24-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?

They've released some truly OUT THERE shit but i love them for it. This vid of them at Coachella w/ old drummer jon theodore is great...

Tremulant is still their only solid material. Not to say I don't love Bixler, and I'll say high any time I see him on the street, thank him for entertaining the FUCK out of his audiences.. But this was over since 2003. I bet every single one of the original musicians are kicking themselves for ending ATDI. 2 more albums from that band would trump 10 more from TMV.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post

They've released some truly OUT THERE shit but i love them for it. This vid of them at Coachella w/ old drummer jon theodore is great...
    Jon Theodore is still doing incredibly prolific work as a beatsmith. See: Dam Funk. Also I have a ridiculous amount of pictures and memorabilia from that exact performance you've posted. They were really nice to us, hung out for a solid 25 minutes of me after they played.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

"And for the record I’m still in love with [At the Drive-In]. Proof was in MY performance. I would never get on stage if my heart was else where. I have cancelled shows before for knowing full well that my heart was not in it at that moment. Why? Because its an insult to the audience."

Glad to see him talk some shit on Omar for not being into the At the Drive-In performances last year. They were great at Coachella, but I specifically remember Omar looking like he was miserable. Someone on the board mentioned that his mother had just died, and that was why. I then watched the Lollapalooza webcast months later, and he looked equally disinterested. Oh well.

I will always remember... Waiting for A Perfect Circle, and then TMV showed up on stage. I heard a lot of hype, so I was excited to hear what they sounded like. After 2 minutes, I knew. I knew I was hearing the worst music I have ever heard live. And yet, they kept playing. 3 songs and 90 minutes later, they finally left the stage. It was that day I questioned whether I should give up on live music. Thankfully, APC helped me come to my senses when a sick Maynard killed it for 80 minutes.

In short, this news pleases me. Please don't reunite!
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    I will always remember... Waiting for A Perfect Circle, and then TMV showed up on stage. I heard a lot of hype, so I was excited to hear what they sounded like. After 2 minutes, I knew. I knew I was hearing the worst music I have ever heard live. And yet, they kept playing. 3 songs and 90 minutes later, they finally left the stage. It was that day I questioned whether I should give up on live music. Thankfully, APC helped me come to my senses when a sick Maynard killed it for 80 minutes.

Exactly this.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

this makes my morning, i literally smiled when i saw the thread topic
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

No bitterness in that annoucement.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post

APC is shit, some psuedo-tool break off, that should be called Tool Litetm

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Exactly this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    this makes my morning, i literally smiled when i saw the thread topic
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    Tremulant is still their only solid material. Not to say I don't love Bixler, and I'll say high any time I see him on the street, thank him for entertaining the FUCK out of his audiences.. But this was over since 2003. I bet every single one of the original musicians are kicking themselves for ending ATDI. 2 more albums from that band would trump 10 more from TMV.
    absolutely not. IMO

THANK GOD. Finally this horrible blight upon the world is over with.
    I'm not here to tell anyone what music to listen to but, for me, this band was out of this world & mindblowing during the Goliath. They had a full band with Adrian on sax, Pridgen on the drums, ikey on keys, and the rest of the usual players. No thoedore but that let the mastermind, Omar, take full reign in orchestrating everything. Every single one of there were and are amazing artists who had the ability to combine elements of funk, blues, rock(new & classic), electronica, and who knows what else, into ground breaking music.
    Yes they played 30 minute songs on a regular basis but in a world of 3 minute pop hits, it was quite refreshing and daring. I seriously liken them in many ways to a modern day Zeppelin. Experimental, Long solos, full throttle hard hitting music was both their games and we will definitely look back on Omar 20-30 years from now and still respect all of his music and his ability to make music, good, bad or just plain weird.

I thank you Mars Volta for the many hours of face melting solos and musical/lyrical genius.

RIP

Coachella headliners 2016.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Listen to the first single from Omar Rodríguez-López’s new band Bosnian Rainbows

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...nian-rainbows/

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house...bows-torn-maps

Pretty meh
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

old school

A great band in the studio and an incredible waste of time live. Seriously guys 3 hrs of self obsessed noise at Bonaroo was a major disappointment. Omar & company rocked Coachellea tho.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

They lost me with Frances the Mute, but the show I saw at the Wiltern during the De-Loused tour was fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I'm sure they'll be back together in a year or two.

They were really good when they opened up for Pixies back in...04?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Frances was their masterpiece everything after just got worse and worse
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

God I feel old. Jacob used to listen to that Deloused album all the time at our old house back in 04.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

couldn't care less
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Listen to the first single from Omar Rodríguez-López’s new band Bosnian Rainbows

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...nian-rainbows/

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house...bows-torn-maps

Pretty meh
    that's because omar is pretty meh to begin with.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I've only seen TMV open for the Chili Peppers in St Paul back in '06 and I hated everything about it
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Agreed. I loved the set I saw on that tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

at coachella? or was that mogwai. i know they're not the same but i get their shittiness confused. yeah that performance caused me to get out of a food line because i fucking hate their music. but 30 minutes songs aren't really a selling point for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by zfireswitch View Post

Glad to see him talk some shit on Omar for not being into the At the Drive-In performances last year. They were great at Coachella, but I specifically remember Omar looking like he was miserable. Someone on the board mentioned that his mother had just died, and that was why. I then watched the Lollapalooza webcast months later, and he looked equally disinterested. Oh well.
    HOW DARE HE BE UPSET ABOUT HIS MOM DYING A COUPLE MONTHS PRIOR TO A SHOW. LOL FAAAAGGG.

Omar has come out and said that he did the ATDI shows for money, so he'd look disinterested regardless, but come on.

More like fuck him for going through with a cash grab that he didn't care about, yet felt entirely fine with charging fans for. And I still loved the set I saw, thanks to Jim and Cedric mostly.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I will never understand why people intentionally come into a thread about a band they despise just to tell us all about their hate.

Why?