Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First timer..any tips?

Default Re: First timer..any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by im18andilikeit View Post
    CB, did you happend to stop by a local store by the salton sea?
    We went into Salton Sea Beach I think. There's stores? We didn't see any that looked like they'd opened in the last 30 years! Explored around the bit of town next to the Marina and around the Marina itself. Very weird, very cool. I was absolutely bursting for a piss at that point too, so had to use the toilets by the Marina. Never again. Harrowing.

Very cool place though, definitely one I'd recommend to people. Beautiful drive down to it from Indio as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kerby14 View Post
    we smoke weed from the time we wake up til the time we pass out...a bowl or a blunt plus another beer is the only proper remedy for a hangover anyways!
    It wasn't a hangover that was the problem (it was way too hot to get hammered enough to have one!) - it was the fact that I'd just woken up. If they'd offered it with a cup of coffee I'd have been happier.

How easy is it to get weed there? I'm flying in and would like some to help sleep and relax but I'm too nervous to bring it in on an airplane.

Oh i was just wondering because my parents own a store in desert shores its very close to salton sea beach and weed is you can find it everywhere in cali
    06 07 08 09 10 11 12b.

Quote Originally Posted by CBPodge View Post
    Try to keep an eye on weather forecasts. Last year weekend 2 was pretty hilariously hot (about 40-45 degrees).
    That's only mildly more hot than normal. Weekend 1, on the other hand, was unusually cold - so anyone (like me) who came dressed for normal temperatures was *shivering*. Moral of the story: check the weather, and plan for anything from nighttime temps in the low single digits to nighttime temps in the 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Must be a tax accountant
    Yes, yes, I am. Thus, why I'm going to Weekend 2 (what I refer to as my "Post April 15th party") Alcohol gets us through busy season and is our best friend after it. Lol.

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

I'll give you my 2 pence and a brief story of an English acquaintance I usually see in the Sahara tent.

I've gone to a few. Camped the first two times, but away from the venue since there was no on site camping. I'm use to the heat, but it sucks to sleep in. I like a nice shower after a day in the heat and possibly dust. Helps with the sore feet and muscles. So we now get a hotel. There are always lots of people going to Coachella at them, so you will meet people all over the Coachella Valley area.

4 years ago we met a guy from just south of London. A big Glastonbury fan. It was his first Coachella. He had a great time by himself and did the onsite camping thing. We met him the first day and didn't see him again until the next year (we always find him in the Sahara Tent). He came back with friends and they stayed in a motel. His only complaint from the previous year was camping in the heat. Being from a wet northern climate it took all the energy he had to get through the day, due to lack of sleep from the heat. He said it cost more to stay in a motel, but they enjoyed having normal facilities since there where 6 of them. We have seen him the last 2 years after that and his group gets a little bigger each time, and they stay in the motel for the convenience, safety and ability to purchase all the alcohol they desire.

My opinion: If your under 30 and are prowling for fun guys and are use to drinking and drugging till you fall asleep and don't care about much else, camp out. We usually give a ride to 1 or 2 guys and that's what they care about besides the music. They take a minimum of belongings so they have little to worry about losing. If your over 30 or you have a bunch of belongings to travel more afterwards and being women, you may want or need more personal space and privacy, get a room. It might suit your needs better.

But act fast. We made our reservations right after getting the tickets purchased.
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

Quote Originally Posted by artisticcreator View Post
    If your over 30 [...] and being women, [...] get a room.
    Damn. I guess I shouldn't camp after this year.

My opinion: If your under 30 and are prowling for fun guys and are use to drinking and drugging till you fall asleep and don't care about much else, camp out. We usually give a ride to 1 or 2 guys and that's what they care about besides the music.
    Man. I'm 39; when I go, I always camp. Drinking + hanging out with my friends after the show is part of the fun ... but I care about coffee in the morning, too.

You'll probably want something that has some sort of lip to keep the creepy crawlies and scorpions etc out
    LOL. Do you brits assume that staying in Indio is still like living in the wild west, similar to how we think that everyone from Australia lives in the bush?

I don't think I've ever seen any creepy crawlies on the polo grounds (acres and acres of lush grass), except maybe some flies on my food and maybe one of those huge/terrifying flying japanese beetles.

My opinion: If your under 30 and are prowling for fun guys and are use to drinking and drugging till you fall asleep and don't care about much else, camp out. We usually give a ride to 1 or 2 guys and that's what they care about besides the music. They take a minimum of belongings so they have little to worry about losing. If your over 30 or you have a bunch of belongings to travel more afterwards and being women, you may want or need more personal space and privacy, get a room. It might suit your needs better.
    In 2011 I camped, but my friend's parents lived in Palm Springs, so they picked us up Friday and Sunday to shower at their place, chill at the pool, etc. However, it took so long to get back in to the venue because of the backups from all the people trying to park. Then we had 30 minute walk from the parking area to the front gates of the venue next to horse sh*t stalls. By the time I got to the front of the venue, I felt just as sweaty and gross as I did when I left. The hair I had straightened was now sweaty, eye liner was melting, and I looked no better than when I left.

For me, a motel/hotel/house isn't worth it. You end up sweaty and dirty, just like the campers after a few hours at the venue. Plus, with the camping, you can go back to your tent to change, grab a beer, food, or a nap (as my sister did last year).

Plus, shower situation was really not bad last year at all. I never waited more than 5 minutes. Took a shower most mornings (around 11:30) AND right before bed around midnight (rushed to showers right after the last set ended).

I'm in my late 20's now, but I can't imagine it being so bad for over 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Plus, shower situation was really not bad last year at all. I never waited more than 5 minutes. Took a shower most mornings (around 11:30) AND right before bed around midnight (rushed to showers right after the last set ended).

I'm in my late 20's now, but I can't imagine it being so bad for over 30's.
    I couldn't find the showers! I just went for the classic "shampoo in the hair, throw a bottle of water all over yourself" each morning. Worked fine. That being said, getting to the hostel I was staying in after the festival and finding a weak shower with limited hot water was one of the most upsetting experiences of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by amishCYBORG View Post
    LOL. Do you brits assume that staying in Indio is still like living in the wild west, similar to how we think that everyone from Australia lives in the bush?

I don't think I've ever seen any creepy crawlies on the polo grounds (acres and acres of lush grass), except maybe some flies on my food and maybe one of those huge/terrifying flying japanese beetles.
    Yes. You can say that there aren't tiny animals out to get me, you can prove it by having me there last and not seeing a single thing, and I still won't care. There's definitely stuff trying to kill me.

I think this is part of the English paranoia and panic. It includes worries about weather too. The most dangerous animal we have here is probably an angry badger, and the worst weather we get is a bit of snow. Therefore, any tiny suggestion that there could be any possibility of any dangerous animal or extreme weather actually, to us, means "you are definitely going to die, it's just a question of what kills you". Although, to be honest, if I had to die, Coachella would be a nice place to do it!

I didn't see any huge/terrifying japanese beetles. I'm now assuming they look are somewhat similar to Mothra. And Wild West you say? I didn't see any duels last year, but now I'm certain I'm going to get caught up in one.

And Australians do all live in the bush, but only because it was so hot there a few weeks back that all of their houses melted.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...To-Car-Camping

Here are some other tips for car camping, I also have links and ideas for people flying in who dont have camping gear.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

I couldn't find the showers! I just went for the classic "shampoo in the hair, throw a bottle of water all over yourself" each morning. Worked fine. That being said, getting to the hostel I was staying in after the festival and finding a weak shower with limited hot water was one of the most upsetting experiences of my life.
    Honestly, last year we had such a sweet camping spot. We got an end spot, between the water station and the corner of Lot 8, super close to Lot 10 main corner. The showers we used we in Lot 10, right by the dodgeball court.

We also went around the entire Lot 8 and a lot of Lot 10 on Thursday afternoon after we were parked. Saw at least 3 other shower trailers during our walk in Lot 8. Not sure how you missed them. Maybe a few too many drinks? Haha, kidding.

Be nice and everything wonderful will happen!

Be a terrible person and everything will go wrong. I promise you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Be nice and everything wonderful will happen!

Be a terrible person and everything will go wrong. I promise you that.
    Quoted for truth!!

Bring good karma to the campgrounds and you will have the time of your life.

Cheap camping gear = Walmart

You can get a tent for $10 and a sleeping bag for $8. And then you can leave it at the end so they can donate it to the homeless!

(please check the above statement for accuracy, psychic friend, as this may be just a rumor)

With that said, CAMPING IS THE WAY TO GO.
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

I'm not sure if this has been touched on yet, but how many people can you comfortably fit on a tent camping spot? I guess it comes down to personal preference but does any one have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been touched on yet, but how many people can you comfortably fit on a tent camping spot? I guess it comes down to personal preference but does any one have any recommendations?
    How many tents do you plan on having, how big are the tents, do you plan on even having any or just sleeping under an ez-up it all depends
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

I'm going to Coachella (weekend 2) for the first time this year, flying in from Germany and will be on my own. Bit nervous about that, but I'm sure it will be fine and I expect to make some friends. My plan was to sleep in my rental car, because I might be a little bit scared to sleep in a tent by myself. But do you think it will be too hot to sleep in a car? Even if I leave the windows open and cover the windows in the daytime to keep the sun out?

The other question is, will I be ok with getting a car camping spot if I arrive around 6pm on the Thursday? Since I'm driving down from San Francisco that's probably the earliest I could be there. Other option would be to drive down to LA on Wednesday and find a hostel or motel for one night, then get to Coachella early in the day on Thursday. Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by mayehem View Post
    I'm going to Coachella (weekend 2) for the first time this year, flying in from Germany and will be on my own. Bit nervous about that, but I'm sure it will be fine and I expect to make some friends. My plan was to sleep in my rental car, because I might be a little bit scared to sleep in a tent by myself. But do you think it will be too hot to sleep in a car? Even if I leave the windows open and cover the windows in the daytime to keep the sun out?

The other question is, will I be ok with getting a car camping spot if I arrive around 6pm on the Thursday? Since I'm driving down from San Francisco that's probably the earliest I could be there. Other option would be to drive down to LA on Wednesday and find a hostel or motel for one night, then get to Coachella early in the day on Thursday. Recommendations?
    You'll be fine to get there at 6pm, you will wait in a line but that is part of the camping experience. DO NOT SLEEP IN YOUR CAR. It will be really hot and uncomfortable. I would buy a cheap tent or a cheap canopy and go that route. If you do not plan to bring a tent or canopy then I suggest going to walmart.com, ordering your gear a few weeks ahead of time and instead of shipping it, use the "site-to-store feature. You should be good to go then, go to a walmart on the way, the easiest one is having your gear shipped to the Walmart in Indio (same town as Coachella).

If you want some more tips go here http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...To-Car-Camping
    COACHELLA 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jsens View Post
    How easy is it to get weed there? I'm flying in and would like some to help sleep and relax but I'm too nervous to bring it in on an airplane.
    Do NOT bring it on an airplane. That is like the only way to get caught, I mean you are going to get searched, and its federal not a relaxed California state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't want more than 4 per spot.You CAN fit more, but it starts getting overly crowded, IMO. Your neighbors will like you more if you don't start spilling into their site.

Quote Originally Posted by mayehem View Post
    My plan was to sleep in my rental car, because I might be a little bit scared to sleep in a tent by myself. But do you think it will be too hot to sleep in a car? Even if I leave the windows open and cover the windows in the daytime to keep the sun out?
    I've slept in my car the past 2 years. It's more comfortable (in my opinion) than sleeping in a tent. It does get hot when the sun is up, but so does a tent. This past year, I slept better than most of my group because my car blocked out the night wind.

Thanks for the tips!

So, looks like the best thing to do would be to bring a tent so I have that option if it does get too hot in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
    Do NOT bring it on an airplane. That is like the only way to get caught, I mean you are going to get searched, and its federal not a relaxed California state law.
    I'm definitely not going to, but I know others who have done it. They just hide it in their checked luggage in containers specifically made for transporting small amounts of the stuff. I'm too chicken to ever try that.