Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First timer..any tips?

Default First timer..any tips?

Hey!!

we are a group of girls coming from London, it's our first time at Coachella...do you have any tips on lodging and logisitcs?

Thanks

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Re: First timer..any tips?

I'll give ya the tip
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Welcome and anything you say will be held against you ...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Go live with Amyzzz for two days and she can teach you everything ......cr**** Afternoon zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kanetyme55 View Post
    I have rooms right next to Coachella Fest! - http://www.quantumeventhosting.com/cms/node/51
    fixed

Welcome! Prepare your sweet little heads, your lives are about to change. Also, these forum vets will flame the hell outa you for no reason. Good luck and have fun!

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonee View Post
    Hey!!

we are a group of girls coming from London, it's our first time at Coachella...do you have any tips on lodging and logisitcs?

Thanks
    SUP

Welcome. Camp to get the full experience.
    06', 07', 08', 09', 10', 11', 12', 13'

09-10-11-12-13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    ...you will usually hear House music at a HOUSE (thus the name), Drum and Bass can be played anywhere and requires both a DRUM and a BASS in the song to be apart of the DnB genre, where EDM music stands for European Digital Music and really doesn't need an explanation because everyone knows what that sounds like.
    "No, No, you're not thinking - You're just being Logical" - Neils Bohr

We came from Manchester last year. Here's my tips of things you'll need to consider:

Try to camp - camping is great fun. Much MUCH better than camping at English festivals (partly because of the weather, but also because it's much better organised - you camp where you park). You'll need a hire car for that, but it's definitely worth it, both from a cost standpoint (renting a car for a few days is much much cheaper than trying to find a place to stay nearby [and you'll need to hire a car to get there anyway!]) and from a fun/experience standpoint (you won't have to worry about getting on and off the site each day, and lots of fun people to chat to). American cars are also ridiculously massive. For three of us last year we had a "compact", and I could easily have lived in it. It easily fit three big bags, all our camping gear and loads of food/beer in the boot with room to spare.

In terms of logistics, last year we stayed in LA the night before, and are planning to do the same again this year. That's about a three hour drive from Indio - any further and you're gonna have to leave really early in the morning, or get a crappy camping spot (we got to the venue at about 12ish I think, and our camping spot was about 2 minutes from the arena). Palm Springs is the nearest city, but for some reason that didn't hold much attraction to me. I guess Vegas and San Diego are both decent shouts for places to stay the night before (we went to San Diego after last year's, and will go to Vegas after this year's). Both are about a 4 hour drive away (depending on your route).

Try to keep an eye on weather forecasts. Last year weekend 2 was pretty hilariously hot (about 40-45 degrees). If it's that warm again, don't bother with a proper tent. You'll probably want something that has some sort of lip to keep the creepy crawlies and scorpions etc out, but a big semi-gazebo type affair is probably much better than a tent. We had a tent last year and it was just ridiculously hot.

One thing I didn't do last year, but definitely would this year, is plan where you're going to buy your camping stuff from before you head over. We ended up going to Target, and it was pretty expensive compared to England (for a northerner anyway, I imagine if you're from London our definitions of expensive are a little different!). I definitely want to do some research to find somewhere that sells cheap camping stuff before heading over this time around.

Also, don't worry about the people. They might seem weird on here, and they might be American, but despite all that everyone I met over there last year was great. Even if they usually thought the northern accent was Australian.

that was one of the best posts ive seen in a long time.

for local camping gear also consider wallmart. there is a wallmart and a target in Indio/la quinta off hwy 111 which is only about 5 miles from the festival site. http://www.yellowpages.com/la-quinta...-1721?lid=1721
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by CBPodge View Post
    We came from Manchester last year. Here's my tips of things you'll need to consider:
    Hey CB, there are 3 of us traveling from Manchester this year. We're heading to San Francisco about 7 days before the festival and slowly making our way to Coachella. Then we're spending 4 days in Vegas afterwards. Where in Manchester you from? I might DM you with some things we've been wondering about!

Great post CDPodge, except you can get to San Diego and back to the desert in 4 hours. San Diego is only two hours away and much closer than Las Vegas. When you head to San Diego take highway 74 through Palm Desert it's the quickest route and by far the most scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post

for local camping gear also consider wallmart. there is a wallmart and a target in Indio/la quinta off hwy 111 which is only about 5 miles from the festival site. http://www.yellowpages.com/la-quinta...-1721?lid=1721
    Walmart is usually recommended for cheaper camping gear. I haven't tried this, but I believe you can order your items online, and have it shipped to the store. This way, you're guaranteed the items you want/need.

Quote Originally Posted by howb1zarre View Post
    Hey CB, there are 3 of us traveling from Manchester this year. We're heading to San Francisco about 7 days before the festival and slowly making our way to Coachella. Then we're spending 4 days in Vegas afterwards. Where in Manchester you from? I might DM you with some things we've been wondering about!
    Quote Originally Posted by howb1zarre View Post
    Are you stalking me? Because that is exactly our plan (and then heading to New Orleans, Miami and New York afterwards...).

Originally from Poynton (between Stockport and Macclesfield), now live in the Northern Quarter because I'm a trendy wanker. Feel free to DM me, happy to answer anything - I got through last year's trip by pestering the couple of folks I knew in America, so I'm happy to pass on their useful knowledge and my meagre experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Great post CDPodge, except you can get to San Diego and back to the desert in 4 hours. San Diego is only two hours away and much closer than Las Vegas. When you head to San Diego take highway 74 through Palm Desert it's the quickest route and by far the most scenic.
    Ah, but we wanted to see Salton Sea, so we went down (*checks google maps*) the ...orange... 86 and then across the yellow 78 (based on google maps colours!). Took longer, but was a great drive. Salton Sea was a really bizarre place, and the drive across was great - took us on a road that went in a straight line for over 10 miles, up a mountain that I think is higher than anywhere in Britain (certainly higher than any in England) and through a climate that went from 105F to 50F in less than an hour. Great drive.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post

I reckon I might try to find a Wallmart in/near LA, simply because I'd be worried about the one in Indio being sold out!

This will be my first time going and I was wondering what the chances were that I would end up camping next to either raging, wasted, fratboys or completely drugged out teenagers? I've camped at other festivals before, but after seeing some of the videos posted on these forums, I'm definitely concerned that these types litter the campgrounds. I'm in my late 20s and would like to meet some relaxed, more mature, campers; good chance that will happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsens View Post
    This will be my first time going and I was wondering what the chances were that I would end up camping next to either raging, wasted, fratboys or completely drugged out teenagers? I've camped at other festivals before, but after seeing some of the videos posted on these forums, I'm definitely concerned that these types litter the campgrounds. I'm in my late 20s and would like to meet some relaxed, more mature, campers; good chance that will happen?
    50%
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

You will encounter some less than savory characters. But this is Coachella, it's one of the best festivals around and tickets aren't that easy to obtain. So total assholes are few and far between. I guarantee you will meet way more cool people than douche bags. My camping experience was flawless last year. Everyone was super respectful and happy to help when half of our camp got strewn about from gale force winds.

You will make friends for life here, have fun!

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Bring a fence and sign that says Quiet PLEASE...that should work. Seriously though, chances are extremely high, it is a music festival, just embrace it. The camping process is all based on luck, we rolled up to our spot last year and it was amazing/terrible, right next to the entrance and on the corner by the main walk (our neighbors were friendly enough)...plan for everything and be happy with the hand you're dealt.

Thanks for the info!

I'm an accountant, so terms I use: More Likely Than Not "MLTN". I'm also late 20s. Camped the past 2 years. Our neighbors were all cool and laid back. We've always had plenty of space and we just chill in the mornings talking about the shows from the previous night and what we're checking out the next day. There have been some people that are SUPER hyped frat boys "raging" until late in the morning, but most people aren't like that. Definitely bring some ear plugs just in case.

i'm almost 30 and have camped all 7 years that i've gone, and you're going to meet basically every type of person you've listed above. more often than not, you'll meet intelligent, friendly people (if not mature) and it's never presented much of a problem for me, but bring earplugs if you like sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Only ever had a problem with noise / crazy "frat" guys last year. They weren't even our neighbors, technically, but were instead across the "street" from us. Absolutely blasting some stupid ass music until 5am on Saturday night. I give them credit for having such a crazy loud system in their site, but I'm pretty sure every single person for about 15 campsites in all directions from them HATED them by 3am.

Even with those crazy bastards partying all night it was still easy enough to get sleep once I drank enough. If you don't want to drink your way to sleep then I suppose ear plugs would be the "responsible" choice.

The only problem I had was waking up at about 7am on 20th April (the Friday of 2nd weekend, and first proper day of the festival) and being offered weed as I was crawling bleary-eyed and hungover out of my tent. Way too early!

CB, did you happend to stop by a local store by the salton sea?
    06 07 08 09 10 11 12b.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    I'm an accountant, so terms I use: More Likely Than Not "MLTN". I'm also late 20s. Camped the past 2 years. Our neighbors were all cool and laid back. We've always had plenty of space and we just chill in the mornings talking about the shows from the previous night and what we're checking out the next day. There have been some people that are SUPER hyped frat boys "raging" until late in the morning, but most people aren't like that. Definitely bring some ear plugs just in case.
    Must be a tax accountant
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

The only problem I had was waking up at about 7am on 20th April (the Friday of 2nd weekend, and first proper day of the festival) and being offered weed as I was crawling bleary-eyed and hungover out of my tent. Way too early!
    we smoke weed from the time we wake up til the time we pass out...a bowl or a blunt plus another beer is the only proper remedy for a hangover anyways!

Also, don't worry about the people. They might seem weird on here, and they might be American, but despite all that everyone I met over there last year was great. Even if they usually thought the northern accent was Australian.
    My favorite part!

In all seriousness, great advice! Agreed about checking the weather - while weekend 2 was ridiculously hot (even by Indio standards, I think), one of the days during weekend 1 had an uncommon bit of rain and was pretty cold.

No matter what time you arrive, expect to wait in line in your car to get into the campground. Bring things to do, listen to, eat, etc.