Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day 2013

Default Record Store Day 2013

Falling on Sat 20th April.

Stuff starting to emerge already.

Husker Du anyone?

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news...medium=twitter

Iconic alt-rock outfit, Hüsker Dü have unveiled rare releases for this year’s Record Store Day.

The band will re-issue a 7″ that originally came out on their own label back in 1980, ‘Amusement’ and ‘Statues’.

This release will be backed by another 7″ consisting of two other tracks, ‘Writer’s Cramp’ and ‘Let’s Go Die’.

This year’s leg of the annual international Record Store Day will take place on Saturday 20 April.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Default Re: Record Store Day 2013

Got that covered in the CD/LP Purchase thread. Catch up, brit!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

RSD no longer worthy of its own thread? Sad times.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

totally worth its own thread. RSD posts will get lost in the purchases thread.

the flaming lips will be releasing a vinyl edition of Zaireeka.

I'm tempted, but honestly don't know if I would ever be able to listen to it properly. it's hard enough when it doesn't require a record player.

Zaireeka an "special" vinyl listening party and to be played over again eight or nine times.
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-22-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    totally worth its own thread. RSD posts will get lost in the purchases thread.

the flaming lips will be releasing a vinyl edition of Zaireeka.

I'm tempted, but honestly don't know if I would ever be able to listen to it properly. it's hard enough when it doesn't require a record player.
    That really sounds like an improbable mess to ever even attempt to listen to. The vinyl copies should be pressed with all the components blended together but I guess that defeats the purpose. But releasing something that will probably never be able to be properly listened to also defeats the purpose.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

The Flaming Lips love releasing useless crap without end. Seriously.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    RSD no longer worthy of its own thread? Sad times.
    Not RSD, silly, Husker Du.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    releasing something that will probably never be able to be properly listened to sounds exactly like something the flaming lips would do.
    fixed.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

so it looks like ATDI are reissuing Acrobatic Tenement and Relationship of Command.

per CoS:
    Relationship of Command will see a limited color vinyl release for this year’s Record Store Day on April 20th.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

This fall Numero Group is re-releasing Unwound's catalog. They're going to lead it off with an issue of the Pre-Unwound band Giant Henry's album on Record Store Day. I now have three things I'm hoping to find (four if Zaireeka is mixed.)

"Stores Can't Cope": Record Store Day to Scale Back in 2013

Despite having its most successful event to date in 2012, this year’s Record Store Day will be a slimmer affair.

Record Store Day 2012 was a gargantuan project, with approximately 450 different releases arriving under the RSD banner. Truth told, we were a little amazed at the profusion of special editions, kooky releases, lost treasures and assorted curios – who was making, and, crucially, buying all of this stuff?

As The Stool Pigeon report, the event is set to downscale by 10% in 2013. According to Record Store Day organiser Spencer Hickman, the sheer quantity of releases in 2013 proved somewhat deleterious: “Stores can’t cope, you can’t pay for it from a financial point of view because you’re buying all this stuff and then you’ve got to process it and get it out. I think a few labels got burnt, which is a good thing because then you strip it back.”

Hickman also revealed that BBC 6Music are set to dedicate a full day’s programming to the event, which will take place on April 20. Confirmed releases include a limited version of At The Drive-In’s Relationship Of Command, an LP from Unwound progenitors Giant Henry and a bumper reissue of The Flaming Lips’ grand folly Zaireeka.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

UK exclusive. Might have to get a friend to grab me one.

Fuck record store day, just creates an influx of sorry ass kids who aren't crate diggers any other day out of the year coming in to buy some Jack White Lana Del Rey bullshit.

Every silver lining has a cloud, eh?

What's wrong with that? Maybe those kids get their bullshit record (Jack White though, seriously?) and they fall in love with it, so they decide to go hunt down some more stuff. Say, all the White Stripes singles. And they start digging. Just because they aren't cool like you, you think they are less valid in making their purchases?

Records aren't just for us diggers, they are for anyone who likes their music to sound good and to have a physical interaction with the songs.

old school

Most of the record store owners & clerks score the good stuff anyway. I always have to shell out the secondary market price. I am definitely getting Zaireeka since I have 4 Tehcnics M3Ds and a 4 channel mixer.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Got everything I wanted over the last 2 years, so they can't have nabbed too much of it.

old school

I haven't exactly arrived when the doors open tho. Those who procrastinate are lost I guess.

old school

I wonder if each store gets the same number of copies of each release or if they get an amount according to sales & business? Is it a distributor decision or the label's?

I think it varies. I mean Amoeba will sell a shit ton more than some tiny indie in, say, Santa Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What's wrong with that? Maybe those kids get their bullshit record (Jack White though, seriously?) and they fall in love with it, so they decide to go hunt down some more stuff. Say, all the White Stripes singles. And they start digging. Just because they aren't cool like you, you think they are less valid in making their purchases?

Records aren't just for us diggers, they are for anyone who likes their music to sound good and to have a physical interaction with the songs.
    No I just have a lot of animosity for the kids who buy bullshit record store day releases and shop the LP wall at Urbanoutfitters but don't give two fucks about supporting the vinyl industry otherwise.

Still trying to find the St. Vincent - "Krokodil" and the Beck for Lashes releases. Both are still obscenely expensive.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I think it varies. I mean Amoeba will sell a shit ton more than some tiny indie in, say, Santa Cruz.
    It's disappointing, but many stores won't receive all of the releases.

I really hope I can make Coachella Weekend 2, because Coachella record store is the best place to go to get the Record Store Day stuff. I have never had a problem finding anything I wanted there. This year I already know I want the Husker Du and ATDI releases, and maybe Giant Henry.

I'll be queueing at Amoeba, as I'll still be in LA this year.

The little record store in Vancouver that I frequent had every single release that I wanted in stock last year. For the most part they got 10+ of each as well. The guy who does purchasing for that store is killer though and is always super on top of his shit. I heard the big record store in Van didn't even get half the stuff they got. I will definitely be returning there this record store day.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    Fuck record store day, just creates an influx of sorry ass kids who aren't crate diggers any other day out of the year coming in to buy some Jack White Lana Del Rey bullshit.
    This is such a weird, elitist attitude.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

I may be joining you. I may also just take the jaunt up to this store in Bakersfield I went to yesterday, as there would be less demand and their selection suggests they'd get anything I'm going to want, even the blues stuff that inevitably comes out each year.

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    No I just have a lot of animosity for the kids who buy bullshit record store day releases and shop the LP wall at Urbanoutfitters but don't give two fucks about supporting the vinyl industry otherwise.
    Hey man, I found a $10.99 copy of Transformer at Urban Outfitters, don't hate. Again, if that gets kids into digging, then good for them. And in no way do I wish to support an "industry," I just like my music to sound good. Acting so snobbish perpetuates that characterization of us all being snooty losers. So stop it.

EDIT: Bryan, I'll be at Amoeba when the doors open, feel free to forward me anything on your list that you may not be able to get. Assuming you don't go to Coachella, naturally.

EDIT EDIT:Holy shit, have you guys seen the Vanguard releases? My goodness there is some fantastic stuff.
    Last edited by greghead; 02-07-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

I'll be queueing at Amoeba, as I'll still be in LA this year.
    I'll be in line at Amoeba as well, one of the reasons I stay the extra week after Coachella Weekend 1.