Thread: Camp or Hotel for Coachella 2013

Lurker

Default Camp or Hotel for Coachella 2013

Hi All,

I'll be travelling from Australia for Coachella 2013. This will be my first Coachella and I'm trying to decide whether to camp or stay in a hotel in Palm Springs.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

Originally from MA, now dancing hard in the DC area

Default Re: Camp or Hotel for Coachella 2013

Hotel! I love having a comfy bed to get into after a long day of walking and dancing. Are you travelling alone or with a group? If you have a group and you decide to go with a hotel, you might want to look into a Valley Music Travel package.

My friends and I will be in Palm Springs Thursday afternoon. Let me know if you want to grab a drink with us!!

Camping is half the experince.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I've done a lot of things at music festivals in my day. And like most people, sure, I've fingered some butt holes during LCD Soundsystem. No big.

Camping all the way.

NONE!!!!!

just have one of the locals take you into their home, they will even cook breakfast for you in the morning. AND if they are real cool they will give you a key to their home for the three days so you can just walk in as late as you want,

pro tip, find one that lives real close to the venue

Quote Originally Posted by IRSCOTT View Post
    Camping is half the experince.
    This is the correct answer.

Just camp at a hotel.

yea half the experience of feeling like a fcuking worthless disgusting fragile human being, NO THANKS

Most people around here love to camp and do some amazing things with their camp sites, but we're renting a house this year since we're staying for the entire week. We've done the hotel/shuttle in the past as well.

Quote Originally Posted by evan12345 View Post
    Hi All,

I'll be travelling from Australia for Coachella 2013. This will be my first Coachella and I'm trying to decide whether to camp or stay in a hotel in Palm Springs.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks
    How old are you?

<30-Camp

>30-Hotel

Of course there are outliers.

Camp, but be aware that you'll need a shade structure as it can get insanely hot.

Being from Austrailia I'm assuming you like to party, if that's the case then the answer is camping, you don't have to worry about transportation to and from the venue.

This thread seems to have a lot of information: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...To-Car-Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_troots View Post
    yea half the experience of feeling like a fcuking worthless disgusting fragile human being, NO THANKS
    SEE YOU IN VIP BRO NO WAY WE CAN JOIN THE RANKS OF THE WORTHLESS PEASANTS IN GA
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    How old are you?

<30-Camp

>30-Hotel

Of course there are outliers.
    Totally agree.....camping looks like a great time, but at >40, I need me some comfort after 10 hours on the grounds. Friend near my age camped last year and had a great time, but he said next time he'll go with the hotel

If camping is half the experience, I'm good with the other half and warm shower, comfortable bed and clean toilet.
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Camping is better then a hotel.

1. Less travel time before and after festival
    2. If you need to take a nap you can.
    3. If you forget something important it will only take 20 minutes or so to get it.
    4. You can get drunk at your campsite.
    5. You will meet more people.

If you are a materialistic bitch, get a hotel. But if you don't give a shit and want to maximize the potential of the weekend, you should camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reeber View Post
    Camping is better then a hotel.

1. Less travel time before and after festival
    2. If you need to take a nap you can.
    3. If you forget something important it will only take 20 minutes or so to get it.
    4. You can get drunk at your campsite.
    5. You will meet more people.

If you are a materialistic bitch, get a hotel. But if you don't give a shit and want to maximize the potential of the weekend, you should camp.
    i strongly, strongly disagree with you. i have done both camping and stayed at a hotel. if you need sleep to fully enjoy the long day, then get a hotel. needing sleep does not make someone a "materialistic bitch." enjoying some actual quiet at the end of the day does not make someone a "materialistic bitch." camping is nice and convenient in terms of location, yes, but the shuttles for the hotels make travel to and from pretty darn convenient as well.

Move here and sleep at home.

If you can handle it, camp. If you can't, hotel. If you don't understand what I mean by "handle it" then you should probably get a hotel too.

I love camping and wouldn't considering doing anything else. If you can't sleep after a day at Coachella, regardless of where you're laying your head, then you did something wrong. Nothing can replace being ON SITE for the entire weekend. I go back to my campsite a few times each day for various reasons (eat, drink, etc.) and would actually hate not having that option. Plus, you meet SO many people while camping.

I can't say enough good things about camping ... but you do have to be able to handle it. If you're a light sleeper, not into partying or seeing people party, or can't handle being slightly dirtier than normal (even with the showers, you're not going to stay clean all weekend) then don't camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_troots View Post
    You sound gayer that GPS.
    I've done a lot of things at music festivals in my day. And like most people, sure, I've fingered some butt holes during LCD Soundsystem. No big.

Quote Originally Posted by omerta View Post
    If camping is half the experience, I'm good with the other half and warm shower, comfortable bed and clean toilet.
    I have that the other 361 days of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by IRSCOTT View Post
    I have that the other 361 days of the year.
    Will we be meeting up in the camp grounds this year, Scott? I might have a taco with your name on it. Might.

after camping for several years last year my friends and i got a house, and although having a bed and bathroom is nice, it does not even come close to camping at coachella -- it's a must!

Last year I brought my friend who had A - had never camped (anywhere), and B- had never been to coachella. She is a clean freak and was really worried about camping. I promised her I would make things as comfortable for her as I could and that it would be fine. She had a great time and loved every min. Since I have camped every year I have been, this year I thought a hotel might be cool. I suggested this to her and she said "hell no, we are camping" That answered that. I love camping , but its not for everyone. You really have to ask yourself if you can handle some issues that might come up, and how you would handle them. It takes a little work, but worth every bit of effort.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

I camped for the first time in 2011 after attending 2001-2010 and staying in hotels. I would likely not ever hotel it again. The showers were tolerable, the grass is comfy and it's overall a much more "immersive" of an experience. Plus, being able to wake up and hit the fields without sitting in traffic on Monroe - all the more worth it.

The feeling of rolling into the fields on Thursday night with thousands of really fucking excited campers was an experience unlike just rolling in on Friday too.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Robin I'm a married man now . I would like this. I abandon technology at coachella so thurs would be our best bet.

No one will poop on, in or around your car if your staying in a hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by bbahreman View Post
    No one will poop on, in or around your car if your staying in a hotel.
    story?

Quote Originally Posted by zfireswitch View Post
    i strongly, strongly disagree with you. i have done both camping and stayed at a hotel. if you need sleep to fully enjoy the long day, then get a hotel. needing sleep does not make someone a "materialistic bitch." enjoying some actual quiet at the end of the day does not make someone a "materialistic bitch." camping is nice and convenient in terms of location, yes, but the shuttles for the hotels make travel to and from pretty darn convenient as well.
    Fair enough. My experience of people not wanting to camp consists of girls not wanting to get their nails dirty or being able to do their hair. Even guys expecting to have these crazy after parties. When it's reasons like that you should reconsider camping. But if it's something normal like getting a quiet sleep then I agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"