Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: HARD Summer 2013

Default Re: HARD Summer 2013

Alright I'm drunk.

See you fuckers in 30 mins. Say what's up.

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Yes, the difference between a club and a rave is a club is a physical entity, like a bar, that stays that same place week-in week-out. It is not a moving party. It's a fucking establishment, a business, which has to maintain a regular clientele in order to survive.

"Good" isn't really the question, though I'd like to hear your opinion on what are the best LA clubs. What they're talking about is quantity and size. In NY (unless things have changed a lot since I moved) on any given weekend there are at least 4 or 5 spots that pull in 2000 people plus per night. Miami I suspect is even bigger. Please explain to me how many clubs in LA do that.
    Let's just say that I was there for River's last sniff. Ahhh those were the days, eh? Like the legend of the Phoenix. WTF is candy? M-I-RITE?

... so basically what you're trying to explain is that you didn't understand that rock clubs are irrelevant in that article and so you decided to be a big cunt due to a lack of reading comprehension or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

... so basically what you're trying to explain is that you didn't understand that rock clubs are irrelevant in that article and so you decided to be a big cunt due to a lack of reading comprehension or what?
    You're both off base... but... you know, whatever...

Absolutely nothing I've said is remotely off base. But... you know... go fuck yourself.

Had a good time tonight, but all the music was pretty lackluster. They really fixed the lines getting in and really all around which was a huge plus. Disclosure was fine, but it was tough to really give a full assessment especially when the tent was completely overcrowded. I will be at the Fonda shows in October.

Disclosure killed it. Duke Dumont also played a fantastic set. Overall those are the only two that really stood out to me.
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

Alex. Metric.

That is all

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    You're both off base... but... you know, whatever...
    I didn't get tickets in time. #Feelinglikeadouche

At least I can admit it. You fuckers better have enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_Garrett View Post
    Disclosure killed it. Duke Dumont also played a fantastic set. Overall those are the only two that really stood out to me.
    Sounds about right. Truly awful lineup ths year.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

I quite enjoyed Phil Kieran. He played a lot of good stuff yesterday: a new Hot Since 82 remix of Green Velvet, his own new stuff with Green Velvet, and some pretty monster industrial techno that took most of the crowd for a loop. Duke Dumont was also enjoyable, and it was fun to watch the crowd dance and have fun.

All that shit stopped the moment Disclosure started setting up. I just happened to be near middle-front with everyone crowding in around my friend and me, and once the music started it became unbearable. Not even 30 seconds into the first song and a dude had already passed out from molly/heat/overcrowding; my friend and I got out of there real quick, but not without angry people elbowing me in the face for trying to leave (aka give them more space). I love Disclosure, but Not. Worth.

Who's ready for Crystal Castles today?!?!?!
    7/30- Arcade Fire, Shoreline
    8/10- The Killers, OSL
    8/11- NoNoNo, GAMH
    8/14- Paul McCartney, Candlestick
    8/15- Excision, The Armory
    8/17- Paramore- Concord Pavilion
    8/22- Jack White- Bill Graham
    8/22- Jamie XX, 1015
    8/23- First City Festival, Monterey
    8/24- NIN, Shoreline
    8/30- Offspring, Shoreline
    9/16- Drake, Shoreline
    9/20 & 21- Beyond Wonderland
    9/22 & 23- Katy Perry, SAP Center

I think the article is talking about the quantity/quality/size of the clubs in the respective cities. The author is absolutely correct. Except that LA is still not equal to NY or Miami in that respect, but it's an improvement.
    It probably would have been worth mentioning that ED fucking C started in LA.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I was on the side for the 1st half of Disclosure and I couldn't get into. Moved to the very back to get room to dance and LOVED IT. TNGHT & XXYYXX killed too. Main stage volume was too low and damn Duck Sauce is boring.

I enjoy both of their work independently, but have never been crazy with this collaboration.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Beautiful day Saturday. Arrived for RL Grime, holy wow really good. Duke Dumont and Nick Thayer were banging but then Disclosure - crazy dance party When A Fire Starts To Burn 2nd piece in. Alvin Risk was amazing and the sound at the Summer Stage took first place. JULIO BASHMORE took the night and what a happyhappy crowd. Didn't know Alvin Risk until last night - brilliant. Left during Duck Sauce - I'd seen the three finishers multiple times and I'm soon to head out for Day Two. See you at Breach!

Absolutely nothing I've said is remotely off base. But... you know... go fuck yourself.
    Cute!

You're still wrong. The article is way off base. At least in NYC vs LA comparisons... (and plus... they're using festivals to come to this conclusion? seriously? NY has what? EZ? Things like Boo before that? Even at their peak they weren't near as big as EDC was before it left LA)

That said, I don't know WHY anyone would think comparisons to Miami are a good thing. They may have a ton of large clubs, but the place is a fucking cesspool and most of those clubs are just unpleasant to be in.

Yeah, except the thing is that festivals are a once a year thing, and most of them had been run out of LA after the EDC lawsuits. The article was talking about the sudden boom of electronic music venues (i.e. clubs) in LA, which is a new occurrence. And in which case, they're still basically just opening up things that are small versions of the kind of stuff you see week-in week-out in NY or Miami.

You're taking this personally and stupidly. The article wasn't discussing whether Miami was a better city than LA. It has nothing to do with whether or not one is a cesspool. It's an article talking about the demand for electronic music venues in each respective city. LA had very few until recently. None of them are as extravagant or generate as much money as the top ten places in LA or Miami do every single fucking week. It's a goddamn business article, shut the fuck up defending your city like a little teenage girl.

Yeah, because "EDM" is brand new... Moron. You can argue about apples and oranges, but a ton of either is still going to crush your embarrassment of a body into the ground. It's all hype, either way. LA/NY/Miama are ALL cess pools, in case you hadn't realized that yet. That's part of what makes them such enjoyable places. Electronic music is nothing new. These venues are nothing new. What kind of snob does it take to write an article like that? A real information shit. You missed the 90s edm club scenes. Boo fucking hoo. That doesn't mean it didn't exist in LA and New York. It means YOU WEREN'T FUCKING THERE. I'm guessing that watching hundreds of thousands of hours of television hasn't been the best educational statement you've made in life. Stick with that stupid ass hat. That'll certainly keep people thinking you're intelligent until you open your mouth. N E HOO. Old men like Big Bang Theory just as much as Family Guy said they do. That show (Family Guy) may be outrageous... but it doesn't lie.

well, this is a bummer.

http://www.spin.com/articles/hard-su...-flying-lotus/

August 4 2013, 7:02 PM ET

Live Nation has confirmed that a HARD Summer festival-goer died on Saturday after attending the opening night of the Los Angeles electronic music festival. The promoter cited only "cardiac distress" and explained that the young man passed away at the hospital. After his headlining set on the HARD-er Stage, L.A.'s own Flying Lotus tweeted that he'd witnessed the unfortunate event.

SPIN was there as well, waiting for Lotus' 10:25 set to begin when we heard sirens and saw flashing red lights heading in our direction. We followed the emergency vehicles to the scene, where police were making room as medics performed CPR on the man, who'd apparently been lying near the edge of the field. Responders worked to resuscitate him but seemingly to no avail, as they lifted him onto a gurney, loaded him onto a cart-like vehicle, and rushed him through the nearest gate alongside the stage. A hundred or so HARD patrons had gathered on the hillside above him, mostly sitting quietly. One young woman had buried her face in a friend's chest and was clearly weeping.

Here is Live Nation's full statement:

During Saturday evening's event held at Los Angeles State Historic Park, a patron experienced cardiac distress and sadly passed away at the hospital. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Our guests' safety and well being is of paramount importance at every Live Nation event. We have skilled EMT's, police, and security staff deployed on site to respond to any emergency situation and last night members of this emergency team were with this patron and administering CPR within two minutes of notification. We work closely with local health and safety authorities to plan for emergencies and set the appropriate staffing levels for each event.

For more information please contact LAC+USC Medical Center.

crystal castles were great. although their sound was way off. you could barely hear alice.

empire, was spot on. I walked over 20 mins before, and when they went on, everyone seemed to be there. glad i got to see this band take off from the beginning. Those fonda shows were great.
    Hate those EDC crowds. Watched 10 min of zedd and took off.

sad to hear about the loss yesterday. Everyone seems to be rolling on something there.

Good times tonight! Crystal Castles had some horrible sound issues, but still played a great set. Geseffelstein killed it along with Empire Of The Sun and Busy P. Not a bad evening.

You're taking this personally and stupidly. The article wasn't discussing whether Miami was a better city than LA. It has nothing to do with whether or not one is a cesspool. It's an article talking about the demand for electronic music venues in each respective city. LA had very few until recently. None of them are as extravagant or generate as much money as the top ten places in LA or Miami do every single fucking week. It's a goddamn business article, shut the fuck up defending your city like a little teenage girl.
    I'm merely looking at this as someone who has been involved in the EDM scene for over 20 years at this point and has spent excessive time in all three cities.

Beyond that... Jesus, you really present yourself as a miserable person.

Crystal Castles was fun but the sound was really off. Gesaffelstein was fucking amazing. I've seen him do a dj set but his live set blew me away. Flosstradamus played a pre recorded set so I was out of there pretty fast. Justin Martin, Busy P and Justice we're great as well
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by beetleguise View Post
    crystal castles were great. although their sound was way off. you could barely hear alice.
    Perhaps that is why I enjoyed the set so much! A lot less screeching this time around.
    For your health

Electronic music festivals and LA don't mix.

Oizo was the reason I went and he completely delivered. Bummed I missed EOTS but I just couldn't walk away from Oizo. Justice was fun but the bar mitzvah DJ greatest hits block at the end was weirdand went way too long, I left during "Don't Stop Me Now".

Disclosure and Gesaffelstein were amazing but everything else was meh. Flying Lotus was good but the crowd was very unresponsive. The crowd in general was horrible, probably my last hard event that I'm attending
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest
    9/19 - CHVRCHES - Hollywood Palladium
    10/7 - Belle and Sebastian - Ace Hotel
    10/16 - Massive Attack - Greek Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by sexualamandakiss View Post
    Disclosure and Gesaffelstein were amazing but everything else was meh. Flying Lotus was good but the crowd was very unresponsive. The crowd in general was horrible, probably my last hard event that I'm attending
    Especially that one guy.

zing! disclosure and rudimental were great. loved breach as well