Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: HARD Summer 2013

Default Re: HARD Summer 2013

SAT: XXYYXX > Duke Dumont > SBTRKT > Disclosure > Julio Bashmore > Duck Sauce > FlyLo

SUN: Dirtybird stage all day

I just found out that I have this weekend off work. If anyone has a weekend pair or a single, hit me up
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    What the fuck were they thinking putting 3 headliners at the same time on sunday? I guess I'll see Justice just because I saw Nectar and Baauer at Coachella.
    The fact that you are even considering seeing bassnectar or Bauer sickens me. And Justice dj sets are terrible. Definitely see cVS. Although from what I remember you really liked SHM and stuff like that. I hate trap but if you're forced to see one trap artist at hard at least see flosstradamus.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    The fact that you are even considering seeing bassnectar or Bauer sickens me. And Justice dj sets are terrible. Definitely see cVS. Although from what I remember you really liked SHM and stuff like that. I hate trap but if you're forced to see one trap artist at hard at least see flosstradamus.
    2nded. not to mention Baauer will prolly have a prerecorded set like he did at Coachella. what a lil bitch.

CVS will be really good. excited for his new album tracks.

For trap you gotta go with RL Grime! Cannot wait for Saturday! Disclosure and Flylo are going to be epic. If anyone has a two day or sat pass lemme know please!

Paul is dead

SBTRTK > disclosure > dog blood > Julio Bashmore> ducksauce > knife party > after party

Also looking for a 2-day or Sunday pass for a friend, if you're in the LA/Hollywood area.

I'm pretty excited to see Phil Kieran and Daniel Avery (god, but why the way early time slots?), among others. Really hoping that Breach will play a set similar to his Essential Mix earlier this month, though given the audience it may be a long shot. I've seen Gesaffelstein every year I've been at Hard Summer, and I've never been disappointed.

Saturday = Daniel Avery > Destructo . 2 Chainz > SBTRKT > Disclosure > Dog Blood > Julio Bashmore > TNGHT > Duck Sauce > Oliver > Knife Party

Sunday = Brodinski > Clockwork > Crystal Castles > Azealia Banks > Gessafelstein > Empire of the Sun > Dillon Francis > CVS
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Sat: XXYYXX - Destructo - SBTRKT - Disclosure - Dog Blood - TNGHT - Ducksauce - FlyLo
    Sun: Crystal Castles - Breakbot - Floss - Empire of the Sun - Busy P - and no idea between Justice Bassnectar and CVS

Sat: Kieran->Hemsworth->Just Blaze->Keys N Krates->RL Grime->SBTRKT (for a bit)->Disclosure->Dog Blood->Bashmore->Duck Sauce->Alex Metric->Oliver->After party (will be too much I think)
    Sun: Feadz->Paper Diamond->Clockwork->Crystal Castles (do they sound anywhere close to decent these days?)->Gesaffelstein->Flosstradamus->Dillon Francis->CVS->recuperate.

Long days at this thing, can't believe I got talked into going to the after party - going to be lucky if I get there before 4 each day. Excited for Gesaffelstein (3rd year in a row) and Dillon, know I'm getting taken to at least part of Disclosure's set, what were they thinking putting them in the tent?

Let me know if anyone knows someone selling a two day GA ticket. Would greatly appreciate.

Damn, enginedown, I'm gonna be at the same stages as you all festival long. You stole my lineup, man. Hemsworth before xxyyxx though. And I'm gonna catch the first half of baauer and then end at bassnectar.

It looks like no Azealia Banks... http://pitchfork.com/news/51732-azea...-osheaga-sets/
    Quote Originally Posted by thesg View Post
    Can you please stop talking about monklish?
    You've been a member since 2007 and have almost 18,000 posts, you should know better.

gonna be a fun weekend!
    Last edited by tmac; 08-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Anyone have an idea who's doing any of the afterparties at Exchange? obviously some of the acts playing the same day. Wonder if it's worth the $40.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    Bassnectar is fucking awesome, Baauer is just fun (not a big fan of his music though). Have you ever seen Claude Von Stroke live? I might see him just for something new. And I remember Justice's set at Coachella being pretty amazing, don't know what you're talking about there.

Bassnectar is fucking awesome, Baauer is just fun (not a big fan of his music though). Have you ever seen Claude Von Stroke live? I might see him just for something new. And I remember Justice's set at Coachella being pretty amazing, don't know what you're talking about there.

Justice has only played live sets at coachella, and their last Performace on the polo fields, 2012 I believe, did not compare at all to their awesome 2007 and 2008 appearances, so I don't know what you are talking about...
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Phil Kieran was dope in the early 2000s during the Yoshitoshi days

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Phil Kieran was dope in the early 2000s during the Yoshitoshi days
    And ever since he's still been awesome...

There was his remix of Nitzer Ebb:

His Alloy Mental project was brilliant (and I'm still bitter that they never put out the second album):

His recent tracks with Green Velvet have been fantastic:

And, most recently, his Le Carousel project is wonderful (and if I were going this weekend, I'd hope that this is what he was doing):

(I was looking for the album version of Lose Your Love on youtube and didn't find it... but still... Good Times is a groovy track)

Hm, my line-up seems to be going this way for the time being:

SAT: Phil Kieran -> Daniel Avery -> Destructo -> Duke Dumont -> Disclosure -> Bashmore -> TNGHT -> FlyLo
    SUN: Justin Jay -> -> French Fries -> Rudimental -> Breach -> Godstaffelstein -> EE -> Justin Martin -> CVS

Why the 30 min gap between TNGHT and FlyLo? I guess I can use the time to go buy a churro or something.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecry View Post
    Why the 30 min gap between TNGHT and FlyLo? I guess I can use the time to go buy a churro or something.
    Why buy a churro when you can buy a BEER?

Los Angeles' EDM explosion powers its move toward dance dominance

The popular Hard Summer festival and clubs like Create, Lure and Avalon signal L.A.'s growing potential as a world-class dance capital.

By August Brown

6:00 AM PDT, August 2, 2013

Advertisement

It's arguably never been a better time to be a dance music fan — or in the dance music business — in Los Angeles than right now.

The annual Hard Summer festival this weekend will draw an estimated 70,000 electronic music fans over two days to L.A. State Historic Park in Chinatown, with major acts such as Justice, Dog Blood and Knife Party. Alongside it, the city is experiencing a surge in new, EDM-focused nightclubs. At least six major venues have opened or revamped in the Hollywood and downtown areas in the last two years, including the 1,700-capacity Exchange L.A. along with Create, Sound, Lure, Greystone Manor and A.V.

They join a field of established clubs like Avalon, smaller dance-focused bars like Pattern Bar and roving parties like A Club Called Rhonda, and a galaxy of semi-legal warehouse parties along downtown's fringes. In addition, L.A. arenas and festivals such as Coachella are increasingly finding that dance acts are filling their floors, and in the last year Live Nation has invested in or acquired L.A.'s two largest independent dance promoters, Hard Events and Insomniac.

Rarely has so much seed money, talent, and interest coalesced around a single genre the way that Southern California has embraced electronic dance music in the past few years. In both sheer numbers and quality, L.A. is finally equaling U.S. cities like New York and Miami, and it has the momentum to eventually become a world-class dance music tourism city.

PHOTOS: Hard Summer music festival 2012

"L.A. has such huge potential as a destination for dance music," said Rob Vinokur, co-owner of Sound (which made Rolling Stone's list of America's 10 best dance clubs) and nearby venue Playhouse. "I've lived in every major cosmopolitan city in the U.S., and we almost have it here."

But not far away in Las Vegas there's also talk of a dance music bubble bursting, after the $100-million club Hakkasan and Cirque du Soleil's EDM venue Light entered into an already crowded and expensive field. L.A. also faces particular transportation and regulation challenges in growing its night life scenes.

At this juncture, it's worth asking — what's the right path to a sustainable dance music infrastructure in L.A.?

"I always believe that the cream rises," said Gary Richards, CEO of the promotion firm Hard Events and a DJ who performs as Destructo. "Last year we almost doubled, and we could have sold 10,000 more tickets to this year's Hard Summer if we'd wanted to. But there are too many people just milking this stuff. My interest is just in making everything work better."

PHOTOS: Hard Summer music festival 2011

The world's great dance music cities all share certain traits. There's a mix of must-see nightclubs (like Berlin's Berghain or London's Fabric) and marquee festivals (Miami's Ultra Music Festival or Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas) that set a global agenda and draw hundreds of thousands of fans.

Hard Summer is rapidly becoming L.A.'s standard-bearer for the latter. After the departure of L.A.-based Insomniac's Electric Daisy Carnival to Las Vegas (after a teenager's overdose death in 2010), Richards' firm has grown to host the dominant dance music festival in L.A. His stable includes events such as Hard Summer, Hard Day of the Dead (a smaller festival held in the fall) and the EDM cruise Holy Ship, alongside a variety of club-level events across America.

Hard festivals have helped launch big new stars like Skrillex, and the firm earned a major endorsement when Live Nation acquired Hard Events in 2012 (terms of the deal have not been disclosed). Seven years after Hard Events' founding, this year's fest is the biggest installment yet.

"The key is the music, you have to be diverse and pick new things," Richards said. "Any promoter can just go book the DJ Magazine top 100 acts. People are tired of seeing all that same stuff."

PHOTOS: Concerts by The Times

Local festival-sized competitors, like the long-running Lightning in a Bottle, are improving to compete. And a new L.A. edition of the dance-focused conference International Music Summit, held in April at Hollywood's W hotel with speakers like Ultra Records' Patrick Moxey and Shelly Finkel from promoter SFX Entertainment, offers a forum to debate the genre's business issues.

The economic effects of such festivals are real. 2012's Electric Daisy Carnival brought more than $200 million into the Las Vegas area, according to a Beacon Economics study. This year's two-week Ultra Music Festival brought an estimated $79-million worth of economic activity to Miami-Dade County — an area with one-third the population of Los Angeles County.

But to truly take on other cities for money and influence, there needs to be a year-round EDM club ecosystem that falls outside the summer festival season..

L.A. has rapidly caught up in the last two years. New clubs like Insomniac's Exchange L.A., Create (Insomniac's venture with hospitality conglomerate SBE) and SBE's Greystone Manor routinely sell out bills with the genre's top artists. Stalwarts such as Hollywood's Avalon and well-appointed upstarts like Sound and Lure keep a heady mix of mainstream fare and more adventurous artists.

TIMELINE: Summer's must see concerts

"There's so much money coming in, but mostly the balance is healthy," said Andrei Osyka, the founder of the downtown Standard Hotel's Culprit Sessions Sunday pool parties and a member of the experimental house trio Droog. "The underground is flourishing, and there's no reason to resent what's happening on a mass scale."

Not all these places will survive. Ever-rising DJ fees — top acts like Kaskade can reportedly command well over $200,000 for a show — and the now-requisite explosive sound systems and lighting effects mean that just getting into the EDM club racket can cost millions. The recent run of new clubs and festivals with radius clauses creates bidding wars for talent, making it even harder to pay bills. And dance fans are famously fickle.

"The scene grows, there are more venues and opportunities, and then fools rush in," said John Lyons, the sound-system designer and owner of the Hollywood dance music institution Avalon, which has set the pace for the genre in L.A. for the last eight years. "There will be a correction. How do I politely say this? Some of these places are obviously short-term plays."

Despite L.A.'s appeal for dance fans and artists — perpetual sunshine and access to the larger music industry infrastructure a part of it — Southern California has its own unique dance-culture challenges.

PHOTOS: Best albums of 2012 | Randall Roberts

A car-centric transportation system is a burden on fans who want to drink, and our public transit system is just beginning to accommodate late-night club-going.

Hard Events has made particular headway in that regard. Metro's first 2010 experiment in extending rail hours to accommodate Hard Summer proved successful and popular. Now Hard Events estimates that 40% of Hard Summer patrons take public transit, and Metro's rail lines run until just after 2.a.m. every Friday and Saturday. "I think we turned a lot of people onto Metro, and I'm so happy about that," Richards said.

Hard Events will face a new obstacle when L.A. State Historic Park closes for a year of renovations in 2014 (Richards said it is already considering several sites near downtown to pinch-hit). But more importantly, California's 2 a.m. last call is the biggest hurdle for maintaining a profitable dance club in L.A.

It's the most common complaint among anyone in the L.A. dance-music business — missed hours of beverage sales, missed cover-charge-paying bodies through the club doors, and missed opportunities to draw top-tier international talent expecting to play late into the night or even morning.

PHOTOS: Iconic rock guitars and their owners

Even though some local clubs can remain open later without serving alcohol, the costs are significant: Las Vegas megaclubs like the 3,500-capacity Marquee can boast $80 million to $90 million in gross revenues a year, according to the trade journal Nightclub & Bar. All of America's top-10-grossing venues are in Las Vegas, New York or Miami.

The highest-grossing L.A. nightclub, the 700-capacity Greystone Manor, topped out between $25 million and $35 million last year, placing it at 11th. Avalon was 19th, and most other top L.A. clubs are well below that (though the 1,500-capacity, newly revamped Create may become a contender soon).

When clubs in cities like New York, Miami and Chicago (let alone Las Vegas) can serve alcohol until 4 a.m. or later, California's last-call law becomes a liability not just for a club's bottom line but its ability to buy the best talent.

"A DJ has a set fee to perform. I have three hours less to serve alcohol than Miami, and Vegas is serving for 24," Vinokur said. "This is Hollywood, the city of entertainment, and it's still difficult to compete with these other cities."

TIMELINE: Coachella and Stagecoach

Some politicians and regulators are taking note of the missed economic opportunities. This year state Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) introduced a bill, SB-635, that would have allowed local jurisdictions to submit a plan before a public forum and the state Alcoholic Beverage Control to allow alcohol service until 4 a.m.

"Every major city in the country outside of California has some kind of extended-hours service, as does almost every major global city," Leno said. "There's nothing radical about this bill."

The bill died in committee, and groups such as MADD that advocate more restrictive alcohol policies opposed it. But the bill earned support from mainstream business groups like the California Restaurant Assn., and Leno thinks the economic arguments for it (and a fair-minded assessment of its risks) will eventually turn in its favor — perhaps on a later statewide ballot initiative.

In the meantime, the 70,000 fans hopping a late-night Metro or driving down to Hard Summer probably know they've never had it so good. L.A. doesn't have to be like Las Vegas — and it's almost certainly better for the dance music culture that it isn't trying to be.

"All the artists want to come live in L.A.," Richards said. "My partner at Live Nation is from Liverpool, and now he's in Beverly Hills. Who wouldn't want to be here instead?"

august.brown@latimes.com

---------------------------

Hard Summer

Where: Los Angeles State Historic Park, 1245 N. Spring St., L.A.

When: Noon Sat-Sun.

Price: $85-$159 (sold out)

Top acts: Disclosure, TNGHT, Gesaffelstein, Julio Bashmore, Flying Lotus, Breakbot, Dog Blood, Justice, Empire of the Sun, Claude Von Stroke

Info: hardsummer.com
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Why buy a churro when you can buy a BEER?
    Oh yeah, huh... In my defense, I was super hungry when I posted that. Being legally able to buy beer at a festival is pretty new to me, do they let you walk around with it, or am I going to have to chug in the garden and stumble my way back? Because at least you can carry a churro around.
    Last edited by lovecry; 08-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.

You can only drink beers in the Gardens.

@fatbastard "L.A. is finally equaling U.S. cities like New York and Miami"

Whoever wrote that article is a fucking moron.

Since I'm getting there a little late...

XXYYXX -> RL Grime -> 2 Chainz -> SBTRKT -> Disclosure -> Julio Bashmore -> TNGHT -> Flying Lotus

So fucking stoked, say hi if you see me there

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

What's a Miami?

I think the article is talking about the quantity/quality/size of the clubs in the respective cities. The author is absolutely correct. Except that LA is still not equal to NY or Miami in that respect, but it's an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Something like that, Jeeves.

Is there a difference beetween a club and a rave? LA has had world renowned clubs for decades. One would assume that only thirteen year olds, and drug addicts would go to a rave. A club, on the other hand? Pretty sure, beyond all shadows of doubt, that TheLast has never been to a good LA club, and would not be allowed admittance if he were to attempt it. Something about obese whiners that bouncers just don't deal with. Yeah, TheLast, I'm sure those shitty low end clubs in LA that let your type in are just horrendous. To be expected. Alternative sexuality clubs don't count anyway.

VigoTheCarpathian

I'd pick a dive bar over a super club anyday. All those places on Holywood are sweat box cock douche fests.

I've been Varnish I once. I had to stand in a bull shit line. I tried to bribe the bouncers and they made us stand apart from the line in a separate group like we were some kind of cattle being judged by our looks. I finally got fed up and they let us in. Everyone in that hit hole were just standing sound trying to look cool. No talking, laughing, cheersing. Totally lame.

SLS is stupid like that too. Plus, 12 yo single malts cost like Vegas or NY prices. The only good thing about those places is that they are filled with models and beautiful women. Plus, eventually all the Russians and Armenians and Persian Jews find out about them and they turn into Butabi Bro fests.

Yes, the difference between a club and a rave is a club is a physical entity, like a bar, that stays that same place week-in week-out. It is not a moving party. It's a fucking establishment, a business, which has to maintain a regular clientele in order to survive.

"Good" isn't really the question, though I'd like to hear your opinion on what are the best LA clubs. What they're talking about is quantity and size. In NY (unless things have changed a lot since I moved) on any given weekend there are at least 4 or 5 spots that pull in 2000 people plus per night. Miami I suspect is even bigger. Please explain to me how many clubs in LA do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop