Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: HARD Summer 2013

Default Re: HARD Summer 2013

Brodinski and Oizo were great on the Ed Banger stage yesterday. I spent most of my time in the beer garden between the Underground and HARD stages. Easy to go from Gessfelstein, Justin Martin, EOTS, CVS. Great time both days, i'll be buying my Day of the Dead tix this Friday when it goes on sale for sure, hope they stay $99 on the first day.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

I thought DOTD line-up had been announced... Here's hoping its good.

I believe it's being announced tomorrow and on sale this Friday. At least per the little booklets/schedules that were being handed out this weekend. I'm sure we'll see lots of repeats.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Especially that one guy.
    #toosoon?
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

Tough break for HARD, especially when seeking out a different location for next year.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

any word on who played the 2 after parties at exchange?

FWIW A guy handing out flyers outside was saying Justice was the special guest at Sunday night's afterparty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVelvetSmudge View Post
    Yeah, because "EDM" is brand new... Moron. You can argue about apples and oranges, but a ton of either is still going to crush your embarrassment of a body into the ground. It's all hype, either way. LA/NY/Miama are ALL cess pools, in case you hadn't realized that yet. That's part of what makes them such enjoyable places. Electronic music is nothing new. These venues are nothing new. What kind of snob does it take to write an article like that? A real information shit. You missed the 90s edm club scenes. Boo fucking hoo. That doesn't mean it didn't exist in LA and New York. It means YOU WEREN'T FUCKING THERE. I'm guessing that watching hundreds of thousands of hours of television hasn't been the best educational statement you've made in life. Stick with that stupid ass hat. That'll certainly keep people thinking you're intelligent until you open your mouth. N E HOO. Old men like Big Bang Theory just as much as Family Guy said they do. That show (Family Guy) may be outrageous... but it doesn't lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    I'm merely looking at this as someone who has been involved in the EDM scene for over 20 years at this point and has spent excessive time in all three cities.

Beyond that... Jesus, you really present yourself as a miserable person.
    I really don't understand how you're both this stupid. Are you dyslexic?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

sound system for the dirtybird stage was crazy. i had my bass face on.

best sets for me were
    1) Justin Martin
    2) Breach
    3) CVS

sources told me, it was Eats everything and Justin Martin. but im not sure.

edit: for sundays after party.

Well that will be the last HARD Summer I'll ever attend.

I had a good time, but hated the crowd and hated the venue.

They're re-doing the park eventually so that it's primarily grass (instead of dirt/wood chips), right? Other than the dirt (normal), was fairly fun, too many people out of their mind though - kids, tone it down on the ecstacy, you don't need that much. Gesaffelstein was the primary highlight, but CVS and RL Grime were really fun as well. Oh, and Alex Metric was awesome - should have stayed in the tent all night both nights, perfect temperature and not too crazy (and certainly the least dirty). Wouldn't mind seeing them go back to the 2 tents set-up.

Also, Sat night after-party was (I believe) ETC! ETC!, Destructo, Alex Metric, Cory Enemy (we thought it was Flux Pavilion but was just his doppelganger) and Thee Mike B (who did a very fun, ~2 hour set to maybe 150 people to end the night).
    Last edited by summersnow; 08-05-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: afterparty

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Well shit. If the kids are doing too much E, then why not give them some L? That ought to curve their appetites, while still allowing that displacement of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    I'm merely looking at this as someone who has been involved in the EDM scene for over 20 years at this point and has spent excessive time in all three cities.

Beyond that... Jesus, you really present yourself as a miserable person.
    It's clearly that New York mentality. It doesn't do well to bring such a dull mentality to LA. If you hate yourself and everything in New York, then chances are you're going to hate yourself and everything even more in Los Angeles. Just a word of advice to all the pieces who make this place the cesspool it is.

This was my 3rd year attending, and every year the number of 18yo baby's first ravers seems to get higher (and Higher...). Many were already out of their minds early on in the day, and I'm sure the extreme heat didn't help. It's really a shame about what happened on the first day. I was really excited about HARD bringing on unexpected artists like Joey Beltram, Squarepusher, Phil Kieran, etc. to their events, but the crowds really just make me mildly dislike being there; I just want to enjoy some music and people are way intoxicated and falling over onto me and I couldn't look anywhere without bare ass and boobs getting all in my face. That aside, the festival did have its good moments.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    but hated the crowd and hated the venue.
    It's an edm festival in LA. I would be shocked if the crowd wasn't completely awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkevil View Post
    It's an edm festival in LA. I would be shocked if the crowd wasn't completely awful.
    Exactly. Coachella is bad enough, at certain points. Anything in LA will be disgusting. Deal with it, or don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecry View Post
    This was my 3rd year attending, and every year the number of 18yo baby's first ravers seems to get higher (and Higher...). Many were already out of their minds early on in the day, and I'm sure the extreme heat didn't help. It's really a shame about what happened on the first day. I was really excited about HARD bringing on unexpected artists like Joey Beltram, Squarepusher, Phil Kieran, etc. to their events, but the crowds really just make me mildly dislike being there; I just want to enjoy some music and people are way intoxicated and falling over onto me and I couldn't look anywhere without bare ass and boobs getting all in my face. That aside, the festival did have its good moments.

I dont think the number of 18 year olds increase. I think we're just getting older...
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by TheVelvetSmudge View Post
    It's clearly that New York mentality. It doesn't do well to bring such a dull mentality to LA. If you hate yourself and everything in New York, then chances are you're going to hate yourself and everything even more in Los Angeles. Just a word of advice to all the pieces who make this place the cesspool it is.
    You're the only one being a miserable shit here, dude. The article was having a reasonable, fact-based discussion about the number of venues dedicated to electronic music there are in various markets. Somebody decided to get up and say the author of the article doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about on the grounds that LA has always had as many venues as New York or Miami.

Except that's not the case. Desert parties are not venues. I'm not debating the merits of one or the other. YOU projected that cunty attitude. I'M talking about simple facts.

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO COMPARE THE QUANTITY AND ECONOMIC REVENUE OF CLUBS IN MIAMI TO CLUBS IN LA IN AN ARTICLE FOCUSING ON LA'S EXPANDING CLUB SCENE AND ECONOMIC REVENUE BECAUSE MIAMI IS GROSS AND LA IS (LESS?) GROSS.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

And apparently because New Yorkers are assholes. At least we're assholes who can read a fucking article and understand what it's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    You're the only one being a miserable shit here, dude. The article was having a reasonable, fact-based discussion about the number of venues dedicated to electronic music there are in various markets. Somebody decided to get up and say the author of the article doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about on the grounds that LA has always had as many venues as New York or Miami.

Except that's not the case. Desert parties are not venues. I'm not debating the merits of one or the other. YOU projected that cunty attitude. I'M talking about simple facts.
    Perhaps that is the case, but you project this cunty attitude in every post I've seen by you, in every thread I've seen you in. My fault, or are New Yorkers the twats we all know they are? Go ahead and blame your net rage on anyone but yourself. We're patient here.

... dude, you've been the one flipping a shit this whole time. I don't know what's so unsatisfying about your life that you feel the need to insult other cities in some attempt to refute simple facts, but maybe it's time to look inward. Perhaps you're just not a very good looking fellow, or maybe you don't have a sweet hat or something, but obviously you have some serious issues with regards to how satisfied you are with life.

Nobody said Miami or New York are better than your beloved Los Angeles (except, y'know, obviously New York is). We just said that they have more clubs. Which they do, irrefutably.

Flying Lotus killed it - R.I.P. attendee.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Brodinski was way dancey dancey under those shade trees and then Breakbot kept it bouncing. Breach disappointed a little but holy wow Gesaffelstein from the beer garden was the highlight of the weekend. Or Mr. Oizo was. Wish nobody died though.

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    I dont think the number of 18 year olds increase. I think we're just getting older...
    Hm, maybe you're right; it's like returning to your alma mater and thinking the freshmen look like children, heh. And maybe it's just because there were more people at HARD Summer, period. But I also think that maybe people around our age may be starting to realize just how miserable these events can be, and stop going because they can afford to see them elsewhere that's 21+, especially for those whose music tastes evolve as they get older. Meanwhile, the high schoolers are excited to finally get to go to a rave and come in droves.

Probably the most awkward crowd I had ever seen at a music festival. 90% of the people there looked like they didn't know what the fuck was going on and were just standing there (then again, ecstasy tends to do that to you). I think it's a good start but it still has a ways to go, they need to update the venue next year for sure. Empire of the Sun was the best by far but Disclosure was a close second.

Oh yeah, does Gareth McGrillen ever shut the fuck up or is that just his job to yell senseless things all night long?

Agreed! I almost feel Hard has more whacked out druggies then an Insomniac show. Or maybe the Insomniac crowd can hold there shit. EDC Vegas had a bigger crowd and I didn't see as many people whacked out of there minds. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by lovecry View Post
    Hm, maybe you're right; it's like returning to your alma mater and thinking the freshmen look like children, heh. And maybe it's just because there were more people at HARD Summer, period. But I also think that maybe people around our age may be starting to realize just how miserable these events can be, and stop going because they can afford to see them elsewhere that's 21+, especially for those whose music tastes evolve as they get older. Meanwhile, the high schoolers are excited to finally get to go to a rave and come in droves.
    Pretty much..
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015