Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jam Bands for 2013

Default Re: Jam Bands for 2013

The Genre "Jam Band" has become quite vague these days but there are always some on the line-up every year. You could even make an argument that Grace Potter and the Nocturnals is a Jam Band and they had a great set last year. You'll probably discover a new band you have never heard that could qualify as a "Jam Band" in 2013. As far as the Big Name Jam Bands like Phish, Widespread Panic and The String Cheese Incident, 50 minutes doesn't quite cut it for them unless they are planning on playing one or two songs only and they probably wouldn't be welcomed enough to rationalize their cost as a headliner. Acts like The Disco biscuits and Bela Fleck would be more realistic for the Coachella Line up. With that being said, I would absolutely Love to see any of the following that could possibly be qualified as a Jam Band: Neil Young, The Allman Brothers Band, The Mars Volta or anything Les Claypool at Coachella.

forgot Grace Potter and the Noc. great set last year. The Volta and Les are def welcome at Coachella
    Weekend 2

I'd be just fine with String Cheese Incident playing a 50 minute set composed of the songs "Rivertrance", "This Must Be The Place" and "Under African Skies"... just sayin'. Maybe throw in "Joyful Sound" if they have time.

Coachella Weekend #1

Mars Volta are not a jam band. Definitely prog rock. Do they do live improvisation? I've never seen them live but I like their albums.

Also I think Robert Randolph and the Family Band could pull off Coachella.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

RR&F would be awesome. I saw them in '08 at Bonnaroo the day after Kanye fucked everything up and he got the crowd to chant "fuck Kanye". Quite hilarious
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Y'all know the DFG supports this
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I'm going with get high.

Going to vote no on Jam Bands at Coachella. There are an endless number of festivals that specialize in them, mostly in Colorado and the midwest. Keep the hippies off the polo fields. I would almost prefer country.

I've never understood the hate for jam bands from people that like shitty techno music.

That being said, I'm surprised that Umphrey's McGee or Disco Biscuits haven't played yet.

And I'd take any of the more folky jam acts during the day (Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule, Yonder Mountain String Band)

Phish would still be amazing at Coachella to prove to everyone how fucking good they are.

Last edited by drew8970; 01-11-2013 at 09:53 AM.

The Black Crowes? maybe?
    Weekend 2

Quote Originally Posted by vibesandstuff View Post
    Going to vote no on Jam Bands at Coachella. There are an endless number of festivals that specialize in them, mostly in Colorado and the midwest. Keep the hippies off the polo fields. I would almost prefer country.

I am an old hippy and love jam bands but yea it's like putting Jack White on the Ultra Festival. Fuck Jack could probably pull it off I already have my Waka tics and going to the Roo for sure.... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

YEAH! Less beautiful and free hippies with their good drugs and more Bro-hams and teenie bopper sluts and their shitty drugs!
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

I wish the Black Crowes could be there! They are playing Phili on April 12th, Detroit on the 14th, St Louis 19th, and Nashville on the 20th and 21st. A 15 min version of "Wiser Time" at the Outdoor Stage would be pretty Damb Chill.

The only Jam band Coachella needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Thumbs down Re: Jam Bands for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by drew8970 View Post
    Phish would still be amazing at Coachella to prove to everyone how fucking good they are.
    this doesnt sound good to me. it sounds like noodley hippy bullshit. that being said, i respect your opinion to like it. you just need to understand just cause it does something for you doesnt mean it will do something for everyone. the world is not waiting to discover "how good" Phish is, they've kinda been around a while. most of us just dont care.

ditto for Umphreys, String Cheese and so on. they have their place in the world but that place is not here. keep the hippy jam bands at the other fests plx

Agreed.
    '99 '06 '07 '08 '09 '11 '12 '13

You naysayers are a bunch of egotistical pussys to bitch about having 1 jam band to get a crowd moving during a 3 day Fest with 5+ stages. There's 20+ shitty EDM spots every year. At least give us 1 decent band to 'noodle' to and be not be surrounded by a bunch of thizzed out gremlins.
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by dancedancedance View Post

Agreed.
    Bruce Foxton's mullet rivals Wayne Gretzky's classic Edmonton cut.

Amazing clip.

Coachella would do well to book the Jam and a top shelf jam band.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    You naysayers are a bunch of egotistical pussys to bitch about having 1 jam band to get a crowd moving during a 3 day Fest with 5+ stages. There's 20+ shitty EDM spots every year. At least give us 1 decent band to 'noodle' to and be not be surrounded by a bunch of thizzed out gremlins.
    second.

On that note, have you heard Big Gigantic? EDM but with a live Drum kit and Sax. They played Jam Cruise XI and apparently killed it. If they get booked I highly suggest you checkin em out.

Weekend 2

might be because coachella is known for EDM acts, not hippy jam bands. i'm into many other genres of music that dont really belong at coachella. when im in the mood to see this kind of music live, i go to a show that is geared towards that type of music. i dont go on the forums and bitch that "oh LA Philharmonic should totally headline and play dvorak's 9th symphony in its entirety to close out the main stage, and beck's dad can be the conductor" because i know that it wouldn't really belong at coachella (as epic as it would be).

just go to bonnaroo. you dont seem to like coachella that much anyway

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    just go to bonnaroo. you dont seem to like coachella that much anyway
    Who doesn't like Coachella? It's a music festival, you putz. Variety Variety Variety. 1 name on the bill wouldn't hurt anyone.

Big G is dope live. Saw them for the first time over last summer.

I am a die hard Phish fan, see an average of 12 shows a year, with that said, I would rather not see them at Coachella. Trey Anastasio Band on the other hand would be welcome addition to line up and could see them pulling off a killer set on the outdoor stage. But it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikopua3 View Post
    I am a die hard Phish fan, see an average of 12 shows a year, with that said, I would rather not see them at Coachella. Trey Anastasio Band on the other hand would be welcome addition to line up and could see them pulling off a killer set on the outdoor stage. But it will never happen.

cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

NO JAM AT COACH WHAT IS THIS THE EAST COAST NO ITS NOT GO THERE FOR THE JAM BANDS IF YOU WANT TO SEE JAM BANDS NOT HERE. NOHOW.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Who's the jammest jam band on the bill this year?
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFunkyPrecedent View Post
    Who's the jammest jam band on the bill this year?
    RHCP

Not too many Jam Bands goin on this year folks. J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr has been known to go off from time to time. I've also heard the Peppers go for some long jams as well.

Peppers don't do shit but suck

Peppers don't do shit but suck
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing RHCP this year. I'm gonna be camped out at wherever Dead Can Dance is anyways on Sunday.

Papadosio for coachella would be amazing. Just a 50 minute set in the gobi. They are a really fun band.