Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 25 TIPS FOR COACHELLA NEWBIES (2013 VERSION)

Default Re: 25 TIPS FOR COACHELLA NEWBIES (2013 VERSION)

Quote Originally Posted by DJroomba View Post
    Also tent stakes for canopies. The weekend one thursday afternoon random dust devil was awesome to watch with canopies flying 75 feet in the air but it sucks if that is your shade for the weekend or your car that it crashes back to earth on.
    An awesome sight to see, a 15ft canopy looking like a tiny speck of a kite in the sky hah but very unlucky for those few
    thankfully we staked our tents down right away
    Coachillin 10, 11, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Quote Originally Posted by nacci View Post
    Motorhead (medium) - The name of the band is a head that is also a machine...anyone else know a group who have machine heads?
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyhockley View Post
    does goldenvoice read these posts to decide who to book?

Last year my wife brought some of those Mio water enhancers into the fest with us. I highly recommend it because desert water isn't the tastiest thing in the world. They have some that give you energy or turn your water into green tea! Delicious!

Had one that turned my water green, people thought it was drugs. Hah! But didn't get hassle by security or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    No, you haven't.

If I close my eyes, have I removed myself from the set? Hardly! Most people close their eyes for parts of amazing concerts.

Most people's thoughts drift-off during amazing concerts, the song reminds them of a place or or person or time and they think on that for a while.

People hold-up their hands and light lighters at concerts; others hold up their phone and snap a picture.

Lots of people go see concerts on drugs or drunk (me included!); those substances certainly break your perfect, rapt concentration.

The sex analogy is a bad one; that's an intimate discourse between two people. That's not at all what a concert is.

A concert can be between thousands of people. There are other noises, sounds, smells, distractions; it's not at all a pure and pristine environment controlled for optimal enjoyment. This notion that you have to be "completely focused and rapt for every moment" to enjoy the concert "correctly" is just absurd. When I interact with my device simultaneously, I still hear, smell, and touch everything else around. It's intuitive, so it doesn't distract from enjoyment. It actually enhances the experience, interacting with other people who are both there and far away. It's pretty trippy when you think about it.

That's not to say I'd ever spend the entire show with my nose in the phone, either. But I think your big take away is this: Not Everyone Is Like You. Some People Are Capable Of Enjoying Some Things In A Different Way Than You. I know this is a tough thing to grasp, but that's the immutable fact.
    your gay

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    So I guess I'll ask this here. Some posts on this thread endorse the use of a parking app and I have decided that this sounds way preferable to wandering around the goddamn parking lots for an hour. With that said, are there any parking apps for Android that any of you folks recommend? I'd like to make sure I get one that isn't a pile of shit.
    GPS Status & Toolbox. The radar function is a spot marker; I have used that for several Coachellas. You can share that spot in several different ways (GPS coordinates, map link) so that even friends that don't have this app can find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    your gay
    You're
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    You're
    it's an ironic intentional misspelling noobie

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    So I guess I'll ask this here. Some posts on this thread endorse the use of a parking app and I have decided that this sounds way preferable to wandering around the goddamn parking lots for an hour. With that said, are there any parking apps for Android that any of you folks recommend? I'd like to make sure I get one that isn't a pile of shit.
    I can not tell you enough how much the parking apps helped me. I have an iPhone, but I'm sure when you look up parking apps you'll see others with reviews. GET A PAID ONE...not a free one. It's worth 99 cents to find your way back. I don't care if you are hammered or not - the lots are pitch black, every car is covered in dust - you can't tell if a car is painted red, blue, silver or green. Also when you leave some groups will be going straight - some left some right and it's easy to forget after 12 hours of partying which way you came in...because it's pitch black outside...and if it's windy you may only be able to see 10-15 feet.

MAKE SURE the second you park you use that app to mark your position - then get your beer, sunscreen and the rest. Also make sure you have battery power left on your phone at the end of the night to get back.

This advice alone is worth it's weight in GOLD.

You'll note in my orig. 25 tips regarding the app how I have seen MANY MANY people that have NO IDEA about where there car is and it's easy to imagine....because when they got there they were sober and they could see their surroundings easily...after the show there is no light in the parking lots.

There have been threads in the past where people have actually spent the night in the parking lot because they couldn't find their car....don't let that be you.
    Last edited by baily; 04-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    I don't care if you are hammered or not - the lots are pitch black, every car is covered in dust - you can't tell if a car is painted red, blue, silver or green... because it's pitch black outside...and if it's windy you may only be able to see 10-15 feet.

...after the show there is no light in the parking lots.
    Either this is horribly exaggerated or you've never been, but it's not that difficult to get around at night. You must be one of those people that wears sun glasses at night.

2 questions ...

1. What is the shower situation? I've heard they have massive lines. Other than that, are we showering in bathing suits or getting naked?!

2. How far are bathrooms from camp or where you are parked? I have a small bladder and tend to get up and pee at least twice in the middle of the night. Do you other girls head to the porta's or just pop a squat in the dark?!

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Turn 3g off on your phone and only use it to find friends. Turn it off while you sleep. You can have it last all weekend if you are smart.
    "Hellz yeah! that is for sure the best bet for EVERYONE. Hope they read this lol"

I don't care how sucked into your phone you get, but here is a tip that helps you and will also make everyone around you not hate you, especially at night - turn down the brightness on your phone! WAY down. So many shows where someone in front of me totally blinds me/distracts me, even just when they are looking down to write a text. Seriously, an iphone is plenty bright at 25% or even much much less.

And guess what? You save battery life with lower brightness so you can keep on instasnapvineweeting...

Quote Originally Posted by Celinaishere View Post
    2 questions ...

1. What is the shower situation? I've heard they have massive lines. Other than that, are we showering in bathing suits or getting naked?!

2. How far are bathrooms from camp or where you are parked? I have a small bladder and tend to get up and pee at least twice in the middle of the night. Do you other girls head to the porta's or just pop a squat in the dark?!
    I am assuming you are talking about camping in Coachella car camping.

1. The shower lines can be long at peak times but it depends on a number of factors. I always tried to go early, shortly after waking up. There are individual stalls inside shower trailers so you can wear what you want. Bring your own shampoo, soap, etc. See some representative pictures (of the trailers, not inside) at Flickr.

2. There are a number of clusters of porta potties around the campground sections so it depends, they could be right next to you or they could be a few minutes away. You do not get control over where you camp; they direct you in and you hope for the best. I am not a woman but I have seen drunk/rude/classless assholes both men and women peeing in the "dark". No matter what time it is there are really no hidden spots and everywhere is someone's walkway or camp area. Relatedly many women on here have recommended P-mates or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I am assuming you are talking about camping in Coachella car camping.

1. The shower lines can be long at peak times but it depends on a number of factors. I always tried to go early, shortly after waking up. There are individual stalls inside shower trailers so you can wear what you want. Bring your own shampoo, soap, etc. See some representative pictures (of the trailers, not inside) at Flickr.

2. There are a number of clusters of porta potties around the campground sections so it depends, they could be right next to you or they could be a few minutes away. You do not get control over where you camp; they direct you in and you hope for the best. I am not a woman but I have seen drunk/rude/classless assholes both men and women peeing in the "dark". No matter what time it is there are really no hidden spots and everywhere is someone's walkway or camp area. Relatedly many women on here have recommended P-mates or similar.
    Thank you for the info.

Last year we bought gallon sized water, drank it in the camp site then took the empty bottle inside. Made it so we didn't have to go to the fill up station nearly as much (maybe twice a day during weekend 2), it sucks carrying it around but is 100% worth it. Everyone was asking where we got them.

Also, if you turn off all your "apps" on your phone and make it so you have lower screen light your battery will last much longer.

Toilet Trailers? Are those posted on a map of Coachella so I can circle and highlight that spot most def! lolz Does using the toilet trailer cost anything? I heard VIP showers cost like 10$ I wonder if the toilet trailers would be around the same price. Hmmmmm :/

no they aren't. you'll have to discover them

Will call was surprisingly easy. I went on Thursday night the last 2 years and was in and out in 15-20 min. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    See, the thing is, some people "enjoy every minute" by interacting with digital devices while simultaneous experiencing sensory events. It's not anti-social; it's digi-social. And it's not "inhibiting" the experience, it enhances it. The photo-taking, the tweeting... it's all creative and stimulative. It's not entirely different from daydreaming during a great song or tripping during a banger set.

It's not for everyone, but I'm convinced the luddites don't r
    eally understand what's going on with the digitally inclined.
    http://m.spin.com/articles/yeah-yeah...ice-live-shows
    Its about respect!

Lurker

COACHELLA SURVIVAL GUIDE DOWNLOAD

http://www.filedropper.com/coachellasurvival2013

Almost all essentials covered, but there are some great tips that this thread brings up!
    - Dommer
    Mo' Chella, No Problems:

I can't remember how much water I had to buy last year for car camping. I can't remember if we bought one flat of water (35 bottles) for 2 people, or if we bought 2 flats of water for 2 people. Most of this water is for morning/lunch and then late night, as when we're at the actual fest we're using camelbaks and filling up for free. Anyways, someone remind me, do I need to buy a flat per person, or is it more like a flat for 2 people? I know, never hurts to have more, but I thought I had all my buying done over the weekend and now I'm sitting here wondering if I should grab another case of water bottles on my way in.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Is there not a coachella app this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    I can't remember how much water I had to buy last year for car camping. I can't remember if we bought one flat of water (35 bottles) for 2 people, or if we bought 2 flats of water for 2 people. Most of this water is for morning/lunch and then late night, as when we're at the actual fest we're using camelbaks and filling up for free. Anyways, someone remind me, do I need to buy a flat per person, or is it more like a flat for 2 people? I know, never hurts to have more, but I thought I had all my buying done over the weekend and now I'm sitting here wondering if I should grab another case of water bottles on my way in.
    Unless you're sharing, cooking or washing with this water I bet 35 bottles would be enough for 2 people for 4, especially if you are drinking other things. Unless they are tiny bottles.

water is at a premium at the fest...buy a lot as you can sell a bunch to your neighbors...or plan on paying $2 per bottle
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Unless you're sharing, cooking or washing with this water I bet 35 bottles would be enough for 2 people for 4, especially if you are drinking other things. Unless they are tiny bottles.
    Yeah it's just for drinking at the campsite. We have separate large 7-gallon containers for washing cooking etc.

water is at a premium at the fest...buy a lot as you can sell a bunch to your neighbors...or plan on paying $2 per bottle
    Bringing in my camelbaks once inside the fest, so not planning on spending any $ on water inside.

Sounds like I'll be good with the one case then for 2 people.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

There have been threads in the past where people have actually spent the night in the parking lot because they couldn't find their car....don't let that be you.
    I searched for my car for 4 hours my first Coachella because we were so eager to jump out of the car in an *empty* parking lot only to return to a full one, at night, and with dust all over. It was terrible.

can someone tell me how much time I should show up to a set early in order to get moderately close, preferrably within photo range?
    I got a set I wanna check out that starts 1 hr before the other one at the main stage but I wanna be able to get moderately close if possible but not miss too much of the other set. About how long should I give myself to get mid to front?

Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    can someone tell me how much time I should show up to a set early in order to get moderately close, preferrably within photo range?
    I got a set I wanna check out that starts 1 hr before the other one at the main stage but I wanna be able to get moderately close if possible but not miss too much of the other set. About how long should I give myself to get mid to front?
    If you arrive before the end of the set prior to the one you want, people move out when that set finishes and you can usually move up to a better spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

It depends on what stages you're talking about, what band was playing before and what bands are playing after.

With Coachella more or less killing off the idea of headliners this year (after significant overtures that way recently) there should be more crowd movement, generally.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 04-11-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: better wording

Camelbacks aren't allowed.