Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: 25 TIPS FOR COACHELLA NEWBIES (2013 VERSION)

Default Re: 25 TIPS FOR COACHELLA NEWBIES (2013 VERSION)

- No matter how cute she is please don't put her on your shoulders. SURE, she can see but it just pisses off everyone who is now staring at the back of a bitch-pole. So annoying.[/QUOTE]

TRUE! TRUE! TRUE! Such a girl at the XX show in LA ended up with gum in her hair and a water bottle thrown at her head.

Quote Originally Posted by cmulligan View Post
    - No matter how cute she is please don't put her on your shoulders. SURE, she can see but it just pisses off everyone who is now staring at the back of a bitch-pole. So annoying.
    TRUE! TRUE! TRUE! Such a girl at the XX show in LA ended up with gum in her hair and a water bottle thrown at her head.[/QUOTE]

good. thats what she gets.

Banned

AND What NOT to Wear at Coachella! Hilarious post with some good advice.

http://grimygoods.com/2013/03/22/5-t...-at-coachella/

I just bought several little boxes of electrolyte sports drink powder packets to bring into the fest to mix into my Camelbak. Thing is, each little packet (each box comes with 4 packets) is meant to be mixed with 8 oz. of water. Each box, then is meant for 32oz. My Camelbak is 50 oz.

I have a question for people that are knowledgeable on things like sports nutrition/dehydration/etc.

What would be better:
    #1 Having 6 packets (48 oz) all at once, and the rest of the day (in the fest) just refill with water?

Or is that more electrolytes/sodium/potassium/whateverisinthispowder than is necessary to drink all at once, and therefore :

#2 I just have maybe 2-3 packets (16-24 oz) worth in the full 50oz camelbak so it's more than 50% diluted, but using this method, I drink the diluted stuff all day, every camelback refill?

My instincts tell me that #2 is better, since it seems like drinking 48oz of the stuff all at once might be excessive and you'd just pee out the extra stuff (kinda like taking a ton of Vitamin C), whereas drinking diluted stuff all day will be more beneficial. But then again maybe diluted electrolyte drink is ineffective. That's why I'm asking. Full strength once or twice a day, vs. diluted all day/night. Thanks in advance to the smart people that know the answer.
    Last edited by ManImCool; 03-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Sounds like said powder is being consumed at the time of this posting.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

For those driving, pack some snacks and maybe even a cooler with some beverages for after the show. You can wait for over an hour in the parking lot and I know I don't usually eat a lot during the festival so I get pretty hungry after.

I swear by 5 hour energy. Take it around 8 and I'm perky for the rest of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    What would be better:
    #1 Having 6 packets (48 oz) all at once, and the rest of the day (in the fest) just refill with water?

Or is that more electrolytes/sodium/potassium/whateverisinthispowder than is necessary to drink all at once, and therefore :

#2 I just have maybe 2-3 packets (16-24 oz) worth in the full 50oz camelbak so it's more than 50% diluted, but using this method, I drink the diluted stuff all day, every camelback refill?
    #2 is better. Your instincts, and your logic behind them, are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
    For those driving, pack some snacks and maybe even a cooler with some beverages for after the show. You can wait for over an hour in the parking lot and I know I don't usually eat a lot during the festival so I get pretty hungry after.
    This is a great tip. But don't pack anything that might melt. I left trail mix in my car one year -- it was a chocolatey blob of unidentifiable brown stuff by the end of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

This is a great tip. But don't pack anything that might melt. I left trail mix in my car one year -- it was a chocolatey blob of unidentifiable brown stuff by the end of the night.
    sounds like a portapotty deposit of some kind lol.

Lurker

Saw someone saying it gets cold at night : how cold are we talking? Bearing in mind, I'm coming across from Scotland which is still covered in snow.

Not sure if this had been brought up in the thread yet, but don't be afraid to split off from your group now and again if there is a set you want to see that no one else does. I end up doing it a few times throughout the weekend every year and it can be really fun to just go solo for a while. Just make sure to set a specific time and place to meet back up.

I think "don't be afraid to split off from your group" should be a mantra for life. Your never going to grow unless you do.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by seanjk23 View Post
    Saw someone saying it gets cold at night : how cold are we talking? Bearing in mind, I'm coming across from Scotland which is still covered in snow.
    weekend 2 definitely isn't that cold at night. I can't speak for weekend 1 though. just check the weather and use your best judgement.

CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST before going is a great tip. For the Scottish guy, usually weather at night can be in the low 60's, high 50's -- light jacket weather -- although you may be able to get by without a jacket considering your tolerance for cold weather. Last year weekend 1 it was in the 40's, which is a rarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Jumpsuits. My personal festival favorites, jumpsuits are always a fun choice for this event. Pair them with sandals or boots, and youíre ready to go! One thing to keep in mind is that you canít easily pop a squat in one of these without completely exposing yourself so make sure youíre okay with the porta-potty waits.
    Who does that??
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Quote Originally Posted by seanjk23 View Post
    I live here, if you have a hoody with you that should be good for at night, however weekend 1 last year was uniquely cold and jeans and a thick fleece was necessary. Just check the 10 day forecast. If it is high in the 70's during the day you'll be good with a hoody and shorts or jeans at night. The weather is magnificent here right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    I went with a group of friends last year who would NOT put their phones down; it really ruined the weekend. PUT your cell phone AWAY! You're at Coachella, enjoy ever single minute - there are literally thousands of people who would love to be in your shoes. Enjoy every minute, even just wondering the festival site. The atmosphere is amazing (not like at all like the attitude of those who post on the boards - there is a reason I'm a 'lurker'). This will be my third Coachella and I can't wait!!!
    See, the thing is, some people "enjoy every minute" by interacting with digital devices while simultaneous experiencing sensory events. It's not anti-social; it's digi-social. And it's not "inhibiting" the experience, it enhances it. The photo-taking, the tweeting... it's all creative and stimulative. It's not entirely different from daydreaming during a great song or tripping during a banger set.

It's not for everyone, but I'm convinced the luddites don't really understand what's going on with the digitally inclined.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Oh, there's nothing more creative than tweeting that someone is KILLING IT and taking a picture of your lemonade. Go fuck yourself.

4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

At what point in your life did you come to the mistaken impression that it is okay to tell strangers to "go fuck themselves"? Did you have parents growing up? What are you, a 12 year old on XBox Live?

Be nice. Not everyone is like you.

im glad quedita stepped in on this one, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    See, the thing is, some people "enjoy every minute" by interacting with digital devices while simultaneous experiencing sensory events. It's not anti-social; it's digi-social. And it's not "inhibiting" the experience, it enhances it. The photo-taking, the tweeting... it's all creative and stimulative. It's not entirely different from daydreaming during a great song or tripping during a banger set.

It's not for everyone, but I'm convinced the luddites don't really understand what's going on with the digitally inclined.
    the thing is...when you immerse yourself in the set there is NO desire to take a picture or tweet. there is a feeling of wanting to share the moment with the people you care about most and hopefully those people are right there with you. if they are not its their loss...so sorry. when the weekend is said and done there are thousands of videos and pictures to look back on and say...i was there! but pulling your phone out to take a pic and tweet your mommy pulls you right out of the set and you are lost forever. the best moments at coachella are when you dont realize you are making a moment, by the time you pull ur camera out its too late and the moment is gone and you didn't get to "enjoy" it
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

It's not anti-social; it's digi-social.
    This phrase makes me want to puke blood

Quote Originally Posted by welgo800 View Post
    the thing is...when you immerse yourself in the set there is NO desire to take a picture or tweet.
    No, see, this is only true for some people.

for what it's worth, I wrote a post on this: http://www.travelgrom.com/travel-blo...coachella-2013

anndddddd start complaining and telling me how bad of a post it is, go!

So I guess I'll ask this here. Some posts on this thread endorse the use of a parking app and I have decided that this sounds way preferable to wandering around the goddamn parking lots for an hour. With that said, are there any parking apps for Android that any of you folks recommend? I'd like to make sure I get one that isn't a pile of shit.

It doesn't work very well when your phone is dead. I would suggest writing down what lot you are in and stick that in your bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

No, see, this is only true for some people.
    CMR defends the new world we live in, and i have no reason to disagree with that, except in the sense that you literally cant be paying rapt attention to a band and be on your phone at the same time. for however long you are glaring at that screen, you have removed yourself from the set.plain and simple. imagine if you gf did that during sex.

CMR's girlfriend texts me all the time complaining about how bored she is while he's inside of her.

4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    for however long you are glaring at that screen, you have removed yourself from the set.plain and simple.
    No, you haven't.

If I close my eyes, have I removed myself from the set? Hardly! Most people close their eyes for parts of amazing concerts.

Most people's thoughts drift-off during amazing concerts, the song reminds them of a place or or person or time and they think on that for a while.

People hold-up their hands and light lighters at concerts; others hold up their phone and snap a picture.

Lots of people go see concerts on drugs or drunk (me included!); those substances certainly break your perfect, rapt concentration.

The sex analogy is a bad one; that's an intimate discourse between two people. That's not at all what a concert is.

A concert can be between thousands of people. There are other noises, sounds, smells, distractions; it's not at all a pure and pristine environment controlled for optimal enjoyment. This notion that you have to be "completely focused and rapt for every moment" to enjoy the concert "correctly" is just absurd. When I interact with my device simultaneously, I still hear, smell, and touch everything else around. It's intuitive, so it doesn't distract from enjoyment. It actually enhances the experience, interacting with other people who are both there and far away. It's pretty trippy when you think about it.

That's not to say I'd ever spend the entire show with my nose in the phone, either. But I think your big take away is this: Not Everyone Is Like You. Some People Are Capable Of Enjoying Some Things In A Different Way Than You. I know this is a tough thing to grasp, but that's the immutable fact.

No, you haven't.

If I close my eyes, have I removed myself from the set? Hardly! Most people close their eyes for parts of amazing concerts.

Most people's thoughts drift-off during amazing concerts, the song reminds them of a place or or person or time and they think on that for a while.

People hold-up their hands and light lighters at concerts; others hold up their phone and snap a picture.

Lots of people go see concerts on drugs or drunk (me included!); those substances certainly break your perfect, rapt concentration.

The sex analogy is a bad one; that's an intimate discourse between two people. That's not at all what a concert is.

A concert can be between thousands of people. There are other noises, sounds, smells, distractions; it's not at all a pure and pristine environment controlled for optimal enjoyment. This notion that you have to be "completely focused and rapt for every moment" to enjoy the concert "correctly" is just absurd. When I interact with my device simultaneously, I still hear, smell, and touch everything else around. It's intuitive, so it doesn't distract from enjoyment. It actually enhances the experience, interacting with other people who are both there and far away. It's pretty trippy when you think about it.

That's not to say I'd ever spend the entire show with my nose in the phone, either. But I think your big take away is this: Not Everyone Is Like You. Some People Are Capable Of Enjoying Some Things In A Different Way Than You. I know this is a tough thing to grasp, but that's the immutable fact.
    you sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
    basedketchup.jpg