Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 TIPS FOR COACHELLA NEWBIES (2013 VERSION)

Default Re: 25 TIPS FOR COACHELLA NEWBIES (2013 VERSION)

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    I was pretty surprised to see Camelpaks aren't allowed, mine has been a lifesaver for me at Bonnaroo. If I bring a regular water bottle on a sling, are there enough fountains to refill it easily, or should I just plan on buying lots of $2 bottles of water?
    I remember the refill station lines consistently being long last year, so I never wanted to wait.

But that was during Weekend 2 and it was like 106 degrees out.

Lurker

4th time at Coachella. I recommend:

EYE MASK AND EAR PLUGS if you're camping and are hoping to sleep past sunrise.

PEDIALITE for the morning(s) after(s). Save space in your car and instead stock up during at Ralphs/CVS via the bus ride available at the campsite. Go early Fri before stores sell out.

Whoever said take it easy Thursday night is right. Definitely recommend. I actually took some nyquil to help me sleep the first night, and was totally pumped and energized for all of Friday.
    Last edited by Peetpeet; 01-09-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Locker secured. It was a lifesaver last year with the cold weather/rain and the accompanying outwear.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

• After seeing the photo of lost cell phones after last year, I am going to have my husband's phone number as my background since my phone is locked. I cannot be trusted with my phone when I am not sober, so hopefully, if lost, a nice person will find it if I lose it.

• Obvs, I don't condone littering, but if you drop a water or other bottle on the ground, don't put the lid on the bottle before dropping it. I know someone who really messed up her ankle after accidentally stepping on an empty sealed water bottle.

• Shark Skinz Flasks in my bra and my phone/money/ID in my pocket was all I needed. Although I am considering that joey bra: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1464727.html
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    • Obvs, I don't condone littering, but if you drop a water or other bottle on the ground, don't put the lid on the bottle before dropping it.
    Or... don't be a filthy lazy person and pick up the bottle. There are recycling bins all over the place, as well as trash bins.

PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE! The ground is not a giant trash bin. I have been lucky to not step in or sit on someone's half eaten Spicy Pie over the last few years, and I'm pretty sure I just jinxed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Or... don't be a filthy lazy person and pick up the bottle. There are recycling bins all over the place, as well as trash bins.

PICK UP YOUR GARBAGE! The ground is not a giant trash bin. I have been lucky to not step in or sit on someone's half eaten Spicy Pie over the last few years, and I'm pretty sure I just jinxed myself.
    ^I agree! But based on how many bottles there were after each set, man, it's a problem!

Haha, after FYF last year...the next morning I had a piece of spicy pie folded into a paperplate in my purse because I didn't want to throw it on the ground and be that person.

Locker bought! Best decision I made last year
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Tip: Before you sit on that nice soft grass at night, feel the grass w/ your hands and make sure you aren't sitting in someone's vomit. Enjoy!
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

The biggest tip I have for new people going:

Don't stress out as much as you are!!! I remember my first year I was reading all these posts and making sure I brought everything that was recommended so that I'd have the best time possible ... and I didn't use half of it, haha. Of course, better to be prepared rather than not, but if you manage to get the basics to your campsite (food, water, something for shade, something to sleep on, sunscreen) then you'll have a great time. Everything else will just enhance your time there (wet wipes to stay clean, phone chargers to keep the cell going, ear plugs, etc etc)

Also, for the drinkers out there ... don't get too discouraged by anyone saying "don't get wasted" or "don't go in the beer gardens." My friends and I drink all weekend long (heavily by most standards) but it's not our sole focus of the festival. That would be my tip ... don't let drinking control what you do, but rather just let the drinking add to what your doing. I will, however, back up their point of not going too hard the first day. The first year my friends and I went we were definitely "those guys" who raged Thursday night and were getting wasted again by 8am on Friday and then weren't able to make it for the whole day. There's a fine balance point between being able to get drunk and stay drunk all day while having fun and just getting wasted. (Also, bloody's in the morning are an amazing hangover cure!)

Finally .. have FUN!!! I've seen people getting in arguments or crying and I just don't get it! What could possibly be so bad at a place as awesome as Coachella?! Nothing!! Just be cool and have a good time and you'll soon notice that 99% of everyone around you is doing the exact same thing!

I never understand all the wasted food laying around, with the prices so high I'm always finishing every last morsel.

"Also, for the drinkers out there ... don't get too discouraged by anyone saying "don't get wasted" or "don't go in the beer gardens." ''

I agree I drink everyday and have never had an issue, just don't want to burn out. I've also never been in the beer gardens once in the last three years and just drank in the morning at the camp grounds. 5 hour energy helps aid in this.

KNOW YOUR LIMITS would be the answer to that.

Did you notice this on their page about being able to charge a laptop inside a locker: http://lockersonline.com/whats-new/
    Pretty cool actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    Locker bought! Best decision I made last year
    This! Especially (as someone else mentioned) the butt ass cold weather last year! And Lou is the best. Just ordered ours and his site froze so I couldn't print out the pay pal receipt. Called him and he emailed me a reference right away!

100% agree about the cold. It was amazing being able to leave our clothes there and change.
    Lou is the best! So glad you were able to get your locker and receipt set up!
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Jumper Cables. Don't be like me last year and be the nice guy who lets your friends charge their cellphones in your car while reminding them to "turn the car on." Amazingly that is a difficult thing to remember when you are on acid. Finding a tow truck monday morning when all you want to do is go home and sleep sucks.
    Also tent stakes for canopies. The weekend one thursday afternoon random dust devil was awesome to watch with canopies flying 75 feet in the air but it sucks if that is your shade for the weekend or your car that it crashes back to earth on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Can't be more bro than Gotye.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    KNOW YOUR LIMITS would be the answer to that.
    thanks for being smart.

coachella is actually a great place to try new things if you're comfortable and with great people. don't expect to be babysat though.

Go to one of the vendors in the campgrounds (I think it was the blue taco stand) and get 1/2 iced coffee 1/2 horchata in the morning. Shit saved my life every morning last year.

1) if you're going to spit your gum out...please take the time to find a random piece of trash and wrap it up so that i don't step/sit on it.
    2) please dont blow your cigarette smoke in my face (look up and blow your cancer smoke to the sky)...i may turn your direction and throw up on you.
    3) if you are going in a large group make a designated meeting spot that you will meet at for the entire festival (can't tell you how much headache this saves).
    4) dont sell drugs.
    5) lot's and lot's of water. i bring emergenc-e packets packets in the festival to add to my water because they have electrolytes.
    6) go see someone you've never heard of, more than likely you will be pleasantly surprised.
    7) be friendly and say hi.
    8) dont push me out of the way to get to the front of the stage, use these words and i will gladly let you go by "excuse me please, can i get i by"; however you better keep moving, do not stop right in front me.
    9) fanny pack
    10) get lost in the experience
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    Did you notice this on their page about being able to charge a laptop inside a locker: http://lockersonline.com/whats-new/
    Pretty cool actually.
    Do you know what the dims are on the locker sizes? Trying to figure out whats best for me but I don't see it listed on their site.

If you call Lou he would be able to tell you. He's a really nice guy! The numbers at the top of his web site.

1. don't sell drugs to anyone. Either share or just keep em' ....Cops are out and about. If you even say you want $5 you are going to jail...no get out of jail free cards.
    The cops at Coachella catch so many people selling....reality is if you gonna sell....this little post ain't gonna stop ya.
    The #1 rule the cops have is to catch people selling within & keep people safe

2. Lockers WILL sell out - ...nice thing is you can leave a lot of the stuff in your locker all day then track back once a day to get it....then leave all the stuff you don't need there for the morning.
    I can fit all this junk listed here in a backpack that fits easily into the smallest locker they sell. The medium locker will easily fit 2 full sized totally packed backpacks.

3. Don't bring your good sunglasses - odds are you'll lose them either dancing, drinking, stumbling or all the above at some moment. Buy some cheap sunglasses and bring a back up pair as you are likely to lose at least one pair.

4. Hat - have one

5. Good comfy shoes - ladies no one is going to look at your feet and you are gonna walk at least 3-4 miles every day...be ready and wear your best athletic shoes you got...if you have flip flops people will be stepping on your toes....expect it.

6. Sunscreen and more sunscreen - plan on applying at least twice a day....I laugh my ass off at people on Saturday whom are already burnt...they are hurting come Saturday afternoon and they still have a day and half to go....I see many just giving up and going back to the tents because they are burnt

6B. Aloe - bring it and use it every night....even with sunscreen you are gonna get some mild burn.

7. Vitamins - take one every morning or lunch ...when ever you can stomach it.

8. Asprin - if you are gonna be parting...plan on a lot of asprin.... I take 3 b4 bed every night...wake up loving life

9. Immodium - take it if you need it or not....it'll keep you away from the port-o-poty. One per day.
    9B - if you have allergies bring Claritin.

10. Bring cold weather gear...even if the forcast says it's gonna be 115 degrees. At night the temp will drop down and you'll want a long sleeve shirt and pants. The cold effect is magnified because you are burnt....it's funny to see people shivering that didn't plan on it being cold at night. Every year I hear 'I didn't think it'd get this c-c-c-cold.' Add to the list THIN GLOVES. Keeps your hands warm and you don't have to stuff your hands in your pockets come night fall.

11. Bring a scarf or face mask - the last two years it's been great and we didn't need them as the wind was down, but for majority of the years the wind blows hard (insert joke) and the dust is freaking unreal...those that have been here have seen that it'll be the worst dust storm you've ever seen in your life....without the scarf your gonna be coughing up dust chunks all night long. I go as far as to bring clear glasses to keep the dust out of my eyes. I didn't use them the last two years, but took them anyway.

12. Ear Plugs - while concerts are awesome permanent hearing damage isn't. There are good sets out there cheap - you won't look dumb and you can hear everything well. If you are one of those ' I ain't wearing ear plugs' expect your ears to ring for 3 days after the festival - even if you are not close to the speakers....you got yourself some permanent damage.

13. don't be the clown - don't dress to be 'seen' ....go to the show....don't try to be the show. This is my personal opinion....some people feel the need to be looked at and have to be the center of attention....I advise don't. If our crew rolled up and were meeting someone and they were clowned up...we'd ditch em. It's like going to an NFL game, don't face paint. (added) if you gonna dress up as the clown, don't wear shit that's gonna block other peoples view of the stage (i.e. super large hats). I still think you should know that you are going to the show....you are not the show. People that have that 'look at me, look at me' attitude need psychological assistance.

14. when the lineup comes out...open it up on one screen then open itunes in another. Listen to every band and rate them. It'll be a lot easier with that cheat sheet when the lineup times come out to decide who you want to see. You'll find a few bands you've never heard of and once you see them...odds are you may become a fan.

15. take time to yourself. Don't be hitched with your group.....venture out on your own. It'll be some of the best times you have...guaranteed. I take off on my own every year for a few hours.

16. People watching at Coachella is far and away some of the best you'll get. I enjoy having a pint and watching all the different individuals.

17. don't be the idiot people are babysitting

18. leave your damn phone in your locker or off. you don't need to tweet every thing you do. try talking to someone as you wait for a band to start rather than stare into a f'n screen. Also, don't be the douche video taping the concert. Have fun and jam....you can find the entire concert you saw online via youtube when you get home....someone a lot closer did it....allow him to be the fool who tried to stand still while everyone else was partying. If you bring an iPad and video tape a show you should be kicked in your teeth. It blocks peoples view - at night it's too f'n bright and distracting. I hope someone runs past you and takes and and keeps on going...as you'll never find them amungst the masses.

19. Have fun!

20. if driving: have an extra cooler with drinks and goodies as it's very common that it'll take an hour or more to get out of the festival....you will sit in one spot for 15 min. then move 6 feet and sit again for 15 min.

21. Expect to have other peoples sweat all over you. There is NO PERSONAL SPACE when you go to see any of the stage shows. Get rid of any idea of personal space you currently have. You will be shoulder to shoulder with masses of people....but have fun, jump around and have a good time. I remember my first Coachella (personal space story) I was fairly close to the stage and as time was getting closer to the show more and more people walked up to the are I was in. The closed in on me and it got so close that a guy got right next to me - actually touching me shoulder to shoulder - I said, "dude" (thinking I had some personal space) -after standing there for a second I looked around and thought 'it's gonna be like this all weekend....get used to it). I got used to it - had fun - and was better off expecting it the remainder of that weekend and every year since. It's the exchange of sweat!

22. Guys don't grope the girl dancing in front of you.....not cool.

23. "State Farm" - be a good neighbor - say Hi...you may get a new friend.

24. If you are standing by people that are uncool....simply move to another spot....don't feel connected to that one spot. Move.

25. If you see someone doing something way uncool...call em out on it. EX. at Cage the Elephant people were body surfing. Three meat heads - large roided up high school students came into the area by us. They were having fun. problem was they had never participated in body surfing and when people were moved up to them they tried to catapult the person to the next level. 2 people fell pretty bad...then a skinny dude came accross and the biggest of them really pushed him hard. Guy went way up and went crashing down on people and was headed face first to the ground. He ended up ok. I went over to them and said 'what's up' I told them the object of body surfing is to hand them off to the next person....don't catapult them. Think of it like a waiter with a tray...hand them off.' They said 'OOOOooooo...didn't know that.' They were cool the rest of the time helping people that were body surfing....they just didn't know any better. Another example is at one stage two young idiots were picking up water bottles at the back of the crowd and chucking them into the middle of the crowd. People were getting bombed. They thought it was funny. I told them they were fucking lame and they took off... Moral of the story....step up.

26. Chapstick / Blistex - goes along with the sunscreen - your lips will get burnt and dried out...carry it with ya.

27. Tissues - take a few- with all the dust it beats sniffling hour after hour...and no one wants to see snot rockets

28. car park app - you'll thank me a 1000 x's if you just follow this one and only this one. When you leave the festival you will be messed up. Trying to remember where your car is at is a lot harder than you can imagine. First off you came in during the day...it's now night....there is no lighting in the parking lots and every car is covered in dust....so they all look the same. You will also have to walk a long distance and through other parking lots to get to the festival. MAKE THIS THE FIRST THING YOU DO WHEN YOU PARK...open the app and mark your cars position. Do it every day. It'll save you a fucking ton of time and a hell of a lot of heat...and you can shut up the drunk friend who is saying 'na dude the car is over there --->' I've seen and heard more people lost in the parking lots than I can count. Also heard a bunch of stories of people who slept on the ground because they were so messed up they couldn't find their car. Even if you have a camp spot I'd use this app....so that no matter how messed up I got I can always find my way back. I have one that puts me within 2 feet of my car, has arrows pointing the way and everything. (doesn't mean I'm the one driving)

29. Be ready for the early shows the next day - don't be the person the crew is waiting on because you got too fucked up the night before. Coachella is a marathon....not a sprint...re read that. If you go and get trashed you are going to miss out. If you have someone in your crew too fucked up....fuck em...take off and have fun....tell them to meet up with you at X spot later....don't feel you have to babysit them....again venturing off on your own at shows is a ton of fun.

30. Plan on not going to work on Monday...your mind and body will be T-T-t-t-trashed. You are gonna need one day to recover. To those of you who make it to work/school monday. I go, but I'm almost worthless.

31. Walkie Talkies - are a much better alternative to phones.
    Last edited by baily; 01-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Out of all the years I've been attending the festival, I have learned a ton!
    • WEAR SUNSCREEN!
    • Drink tons of water
    • Dont push your limits. Its a three day festival that lasts 12 hours a day... Not to mention your pre/post activities
    • Pack light, it sucks when you have a bulky backpack and want to dance but cant. I usually bring a light sweater, long socks and a pair of flexible tennis shoes. By night all you'll have is a pair of flip flops in your bag.
    • Some wet naps. Your hands will get dirty, along with other things
    • Make sure to have jumper cables, a gas can, a cooler with beer, water & juice in your car (maybe even soe munchies). You never know what can happen and having at least snacks & refreshments to hold you over until traffic dies does worlds of wonder!
    • Be mindful of enforcement when using your drugs. They are out there in full force.
    • Take care of yourself, your friends and strangers. Coachella is a great festival and looking out for each other makes it that much more amazing.
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMel View Post
    Out of all the years I've been attending the festival, I have learned a ton!
    • WEAR SUNSCREEN!
    • Drink tons of water
    • Dont push your limits. Its a three day festival that lasts 12 hours a day... Not to mention your pre/post activities
    • Pack light, it sucks when you have a bulky backpack and want to dance but cant. I usually bring a light sweater, long socks and a pair of flexible tennis shoes. By night all you'll have is a pair of flip flops in your bag.
    • Some wet naps. Your hands will get dirty, along with other things
    • Make sure to have jumper cables, a gas can, a cooler with beer, water & juice in your car (maybe even soe munchies). You never know what can happen and having at least snacks & refreshments to hold you over until traffic dies does worlds of wonder!
    • Be mindful of enforcement when using your drugs. They are out there in full force.
    • Take care of yourself, your friends and strangers. Coachella is a great festival and looking out for each other makes it that much more amazing.
    Great advice. I found a windbreaker that rolls down really small. I keep that in my bag. Sometimes at night, the wind picks up. Also a bandana. Your can cover your neck with it during the day and use it to cover your mouth at night when the dust kicks up.
    HA! My sig's old.

People who have gotten lockers before, how bad is the crowd when you actually get the locker on Friday?

if you're camping, have some form of shade in a canopy and tarps for the sides and utilize it every morning. save as much energy for inside as you can

I don't remember there being much of a line when we got in last year.

I also don't remember lines at the lockers and I came into festival early.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanRobot74x View Post
    People who have gotten lockers before, how bad is the crowd when you actually get the locker on Friday?
    Sure easy and it moves fast.

That drinking lots of water is a good one.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.