Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2013

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2013

Pretty excited to see Cat Power added although I may have to arrive late to the Cure if I'm to see her full set. I'm wondering if the Cure will have their usually-recent 3 hour set for Fuji? I'm no Fuji expert but has there been a 3 hour set allocated in recent years? I really didn't expect any more semi-big internationals to be added. They seem to be dropping 1 semi-big international band with each of these last few announcements. Also glad to see Kensington Hillbillys playing, yet again and the addition of Bo Ningen sounds like it'd be worth watching. Any other recommendations from the recent additions?
    Also, any locals know what the current weather is / late-July weather might be like?

I am seeing Cat Power at all cost.

kamikaze - I think some of those Field of Heaven headliners have been known to play three hours every now and then, though I don't know if it's ever happened with a Green headliner. I only started going to Fuji in 2008, but from what people tell me, when the Cure headlined in 2007, they played well over their allotted time much to the annoyance of the Fuji Rock crew. They were a Friday act that year, but this time around they're playing on Sunday. We still don't know if we'll get a Sunday closing act this year, but if not, it's possible that they may have taken the Cure's tendency to not finish their set on time into consideration.

That's a lot of additions for the smaller stages. I was too caught up this morning in the excitement over Cat Power, the soccer match against Italy, and the terrible news about James Gandolfini (Italians broke my heart twice in a single day) to really give much attention to them, but I'm sure there are plenty of goodies in there. I'll look at it more closely later. For starters though, Asakusa Jinta at the Cafe de Paris should be an insane show (fingers crossed that they don't conflict with Aimee Mann).
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 06-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.

I am seeing Cat Power at all cost.
    Thought you'd like that one. It's a Sunday game-changer for me too.

Any idea what the Kensington Hillbillies are doing this year? Their own stuff, I guess?

And we're still short a Green, a Red and a couple of Whites. (Sounds like I'm scouting for drugs.) Hopefully we'll get a couple more good names in before everything's locked in.

Remind me how to read the lineups. The Red, White, Green, FOH and OC all read latest to earliest, from top to bottom, while the late-night stuff reads earliest to latest. What about the smaller venues like Naeba Shokudo, Mokudo Tei, Crystal Palace, etc.?

How the fuck is cat power a game changer!
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    How the fuck is cat power a game changer!
    She/he has probably never seen her live.
    Hey gweilo, do you like mostly decent songs being sung without soul and without any sort of inkling of stage performance? You'll love cat power!
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Hey gweilo, do you like mostly decent songs being sung without soul and without any sort of inkling of stage performance? You'll love cat power!
    Is she crap live? What I've heard from her -- just a sampling of songs across her last few albums -- sounds OK. I'll admit, she's more a "game changer" for me because after Savages/ Yo La Tengo (whichever I decide to see -- I think they'll conflict), there's jack squat for me the rest of the day. I don't care for The Cure, and The xx were very blah the last time I saw them. Lotus at the FOH might be OK. Maybe some of the smaller venues will have something worthwhile. Unless you know of better things to see....

He, BTW.

You have to realize that where you live and how often you get to see a certain act can vastly influence your anticipation level. With Cat Power, we're talking about someone who has come to Japan maybe twice over the last decade. I don't think it's that unreasonable for those of us who live in this region and like her music to be highly excited.

That said, I've heard some horror stories about her live shows, but my understanding is that she can be on or off. She was fantastic when I saw her three years ago. In any case, I'm not that big into Vampire Weekend or Tahiti 80, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it if her Naeba set happens to be one of her off shows.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    Remind me how to read the lineups. The Red, White, Green, FOH and OC all read latest to earliest, from top to bottom, while the late-night stuff reads earliest to latest. What about the smaller venues like Naeba Shokudo, Mokudo Tei, Crystal Palace, etc.?
    I have no earthly idea, to be honest. I wish they'd stop being so confusing...
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 06-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.

So I was doing a little research on some of the acts that are playing the smaller stages, and came across this:

Seriously, don't ask.

That's absolutely stellar.

Sunday morning at the Gypsy Avalon!

By the way, what's the story with the Japanese lineup this year? Anything I might be interested in checking out? I'm not into ska/ big band stuff at all, but otherwise I'm game ... especially if it involves lobster ladies.

I did check out Bo Ningen and there's a good chance I'll try to see them.

gweilo - Here's a few that I think are worth checking out, although whether I see them or not largely depends on who they conflict with.

Lite

Tavito Nanao

Shugo Tokumaru

T-Jiros

Soutaisei Riron

Ego Wrappin'

Yuri Miyauchi

Uhnellys

Ayano Uema

Thanks! Will start listening.

Nice recommendations Blue Stapler!

By the way, I put some Fuji Rock tips up on my site. It might help answer some newcomers questions about the festival.
    http://blog.tokyogigguide.com/2013/0...tips-2013.html

Getting excited now! Gonna buy a new tent

@Tokidoki: Good post. The only thing I would add/ change is that most things are now 600 yen. We were mightily bummed one year when we arrived to find out out the prices had gone up.

Thanks @gweilo
    Ah, that sucks. I didn't go the last two years.

I actually found meals in the 700-JPY range to be more common, though maybe that's just the result of me spending more money than I should on food.

Summer Sonic is almost completely sold out, but it appears Fuji Rock is showing no signs of doing the same. That's a relief - the festival was way too crowded last year.

Oh, and here's an article on fujirock.com (NOT the official Fuji Rock website despite the misleading name) that might answer your question earlier about Kensington Hillbillies, gweilo. It looks like they're turning into Big Willie's Burlesque II i.e., the band that quite literally plays Fuji Rock every year. I've always wondered how much these bands get paid.

Any idea what the Kensington Hillbillies are doing this year? Their own stuff, I guess?

I actually found meals in the 700-JPY range to be more common
    Yeah, that's the difference -- you're focused on food, I'm focused on beer.

And thanks for that re: the KH. My friend will be delighted to know.

BTW, does anyone know how far Cafe de Paris is from the Orange Court? In five years I've never been past the OC. And is it a cool venue? I might try to get out there on the Sunday if it's not too far, but if it's another 20 minutes out or something, then, you know, fuck that.

And we're locked in - final lineup announcement and timetable.

http://smash-uk.com/frf13/lineup.html

Wilko Johnson's the big news. And the times are nowhere near what I thought they'd be.

Fun. -> MBV? WTF
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I saw Wilko Johnson last year at Asagiri Jam. I figured it would be the last time I get to see him before he dies on us all, so it's good to know that he's well enough to play Fuji again. I might see him at the Crystal Palace on Saturday provided I can stay up that late.

Set times aren't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. MBV vs. Of Monsters And Men is pretty painful for me, Sea And Cake vs. Rhye a little less so but I still don't like it, and Kendrick Lamar partially conflicting with Fermin Muguruza is complete bs - I definitely counted on being able to see the full set for both of them. But that's about it for the major complaints.

BTW, does anyone know how far Cafe de Paris is from the Orange Court? In five years I've never been past the OC. And is it a cool venue? I might try to get out there on the Sunday if it's not too far, but if it's another 20 minutes out or something, then, you know, fuck that.
    It's not far at all. About five minutes maybe? Although the path above the Orange Court is the absolute worst when it's wet. There's nothing particularly special about the ambience at Cafe de Paris, to be honest. It's just a tent with some mannequins in it. But the whole area beyond the OC is one of the most relaxed places in the festival site, and for my money it's the second best place to take a nap (the top honor of course going to the Gypsy Avalon hammock) if it's not raining.

Edit: But wait, I forgot that they have pole dancing at CdP. So, uh, yeah.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 07-03-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Fun. -> MBV? WTF
    Maybe Smash did it to show Fun -- I refuse to give them their egregious punctuation -- what a real band sounds like.

Set times aren't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
    Sounds like they're even better for me than you. My biggest casualties are a half-hour of Tame Impala (which I suspected) and DIIV's full set (I'll be at Yo La Tengo, who is starting earlier than I thought). I was interested in Kendrick Lamar, but I knew that White subheadliners usually start around 8:30 or 8:40. I'm actually thinking about splitting my Sat night between Fermin Muguruza and Garth Hudson.

Re: CdP, the way the lineup has shaken out, it looks like the only time I'd make it there is for Big Willie on Sun afternoon. As usual, I have huge ambitions that will only end up half-realized due to drunkenness and fatigue.

I'll be at Yo La Tengo, who is starting earlier than I thought)
    Wait, are you trying to tell me that you're choosing YLT over this?! Unthinkable.

I have huge ambitions that will only end up half-realized due to drunkenness and fatigue.
    You just summed up what Fuji Rock is all about. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll make it to CdP this year. All the acts that I want to see there seem to conflict with someone else I want to see. Although seeing as how I expect to see quite a few sets at the OC, I might go that area just to catch some sleep.

Wait, are you trying to tell me that you're choosing YLT over this?! Unthinkable.
    What I WISH I could do Sun AM is wake up early for a 45-minute talk on energy. Oh, wait.

So this is what my schedule looks like right now. Not sure how many of these I'll actually get to see. I'm giving MBV and Local Natives a miss on account of the fact that I've seen both bands before at Fuji. Not happy about it, but what can you do.

Here's the link if you want to post your own time schedule. Click on "タイムテーブルを保存" near the top right corner of the page (to the left of "TOP"), and it'll open a separate page giving you the URL.

K, here's mine.

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to get led away from Big Willie and Lotus on Sunday and over to the %*$#&^! Mumfords and Vampire Weekend. There's just not much for me between 4:30 and 8:30 on Sunday. Might be a good Dragondola time....

Might be a good Dragondola time....
    I think the Dragondola ends at like 5PM, so probably not

I know that a lot of people hate them, but I actually like Mumford & Sons and am genuinely looking forward to their set. Thankfully, I got to see Toro y Moi when they played Tokyo last year so the conflict is somewhat tolerable for me.

Also, I just found out a few hours ago that I might be staying at a hotel this year. If that goes through, and if I can get rid of my camping ticket, then I won't have access to the Pyramid Garden which will affect my schedule a little bit. Seriously, staying at the Naeba Prince last year spoiled me.

Well, "hate" is a strong word. I even have their first album. I guess they're inoffensive. And I knew when they were named to the lineup, they'd be inevitable, especially since a couple of my friends are talking about wanting to catch them. No big loss if it happens -- it's not like I'd even heard of Lotus before Fuji.

if I can get rid of my camping ticket
    Not worth just keeping it for access? Didn't realize the PG was for campers only. But you could get in by staying at the Prince?

We're down the road from the Prince at Lodge OKA again. This time, I think we even get to be inside the building. Last year we were in a prefab box in their parking lot.