Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2013

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2013

I like Lotus but they come to Japan fairly frequently, so I have no qualms about missing them this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    Not worth just keeping it for access? Didn't realize the PG was for campers only. But you could get in by staying at the Prince?
    I guess it would be nice to have access, but I don't think it's worth 3,000 JPY. Thankfully, I think I found someone who is willing to take the camping ticket off my hands, so no PG for me.

And alas, I am not staying at the Prince this time but at some random inn. I'm sure the quality is a lot lower (not that the Prince is some kind of five-star hotel either, but in the context of Fuji Rock it's the freaking Imperial Palace), but on the bright side it's a lot cheaper. And it's also very close to the venue.

Waiting with bated breath for fujirockers.org to release the food lineup...

Anyone have any predictions or informed views on the weather for this year? Fujirockers have just recently posted regarding the supposedly reasonable chances of thunderstorms and heavy rain for Fuji as per some 10-day forecast. I've had a look at a few different forecasts and all seem to only predict mere slim chances of very light showers...

I predict it will rain. But I do not have an informed view.

Looks like there will be a bit of rain, doesn't seem too bad. http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/323.html
    Just hope it's not raining while I'm setting up my tent.

By the way, here are my recommendations for Japanese artists this year:
    http://blog.tokyogigguide.com/2013/0...commended.html

I was wondering if there happen to be any restrictions on cameras at the festival... like how Coachella doesn't allow detachable lenses? Didn't see anything online but was hoping you guys could confirm I'd be OK with a DSLR. Thanks!
    Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12
    Upcoming Shows:
    7/26-28: Fuji Rock Festival
    8/3-4: HARD Summer
    8/9: Grizzly Bear @ Hollywood Forever - Pryda Friends @ Create
    8/24-25: FYF Fest

I'm not sure if it's even possible to have an informed opinion on what the weather would be like at Fuji in any given year - I've found weather forecasts to be wildly unreliable. I'm just going to what I do every year and prepare for the worst. Well, mentally at least. My trusty rain gear is getting pretty long in the tooth and I know I should buy new ones, but I just couldn't be bothered...

avhua - Restrictions are very tight for any type of camera, as far as taking photos of shows are concerned. As you might expect, people still do it anyway, but if you're too obvious about it you might end up being harassed by security guys. I'm not aware of any restrictions on the type of cameras you can use for taking scenery shots etc. although I wouldn't want to be quoted on that.

Fujirockers.org has posted the restaurant list, the MGMT movie has been cancelled, Gaslight Killer has pulled out, and we're only a few days away!

Blue Stapler - Thanks! And yeah unfortunately Gaslamp Killer nearly died in an accident recently. Wishing him the best right now!

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/b...-accident.html
    Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12
    Upcoming Shows:
    7/26-28: Fuji Rock Festival
    8/3-4: HARD Summer
    8/9: Grizzly Bear @ Hollywood Forever - Pryda Friends @ Create
    8/24-25: FYF Fest

Today!!

Exactly a week ago I was getting amped up for Of Monsters And Men, due to begin in several minutes. Sad to think that it's over. Fifty-one more week until the next edition:

Anyway, fill-in survey for anyone so inclined:

Best Friday act
    Honorable mention
    Best Saturday act
    Honorable mention
    Best Sunday act
    Honorable mention
    Best overall act
    Favorite day
    Best new discovery
    Most disappointing act
    Act you most regret missing
    Best food
    Worst food
    Biggest WTF
    Obligatory comment about the weather

Best Friday act
    Friday was actually kind of bottom-heavy for me, in that I got to see a lot of quality acts, but not a whole lot that blew me away. Of Monsters And Men came really close though.

Honorable mention
    Gentlemen's Pistols for the blistering hard rock show they gave at the tiny Naeba Shokudo stage.

Best Saturday act
    Oh my God Baiana System at the Orange Court were so good. It's these sort of mind-blowing shows that make me go to Fuji every year, despite the exorbitant ticket prices and all the inconveniences that the elements throw at you.

Honorable mention
    Fermin Muguruza nearly killed me. It was the end of the day and I was tired, so I figured I'd watch them from a safe distance. Somehow, it didn't work out that way, and I was kind of exhausted by the time the set ended.

Best Sunday act
    The xx. Seriously, how on earth can a band that put on such an underwhelming live show in 2010 come back three years later being so freaking good?

Honorable mention
    I'd only seen A Hundred Birds play with a full orchestra before, so I wasn't sure what to expect when they played as a sextet, but I loved every second of it.

Best overall act
    Baiana System. I can't emphasize enough how awesome their live show was.

Favorite day
    Even though two of my favorite shows this year were on Saturday, I'd have to give the edge to Sunday for being consistently good overall. The xx, Cat Power, Lotus, Mumford & Sons, Savages, and A Hundred Birds all put on extremely enjoyable shows.

Best new discovery
    Baiana System was my absolute favorite show this year, and they were a band I'd never heard of prior to them being booked for Fuji. So, yeah.

Most disappointing act
    The Sea And Cake. I missed two quality acts (Rhye and Local Natives) to see them too.

i went into Fuji this year thinking that I'm going to really regret missing MBV, but I've heard mixed reports about the quality of their sound. I'll go with Flying Lotus instead.

Best food
    A lot of people were raving about the shrimp-flavored abura soba at the Orange Court, but I found it too salty for my taste. My vote will go instead to the black curry udon noodles from the Oasis area.

Worst food
    The maitake takikomi gohan I had outside the gate, for having almost no maitake in it. I't like ordering steak burrito and getting almost no steak. Looking back now, I was probably more upset than I should've been, but come on.

Biggest WTF
    NIN being so under-attended. I guess a lot of people went for Skrillex instead. Oh, and the failure of the YouTube feed of the show to capture the crazy amount of rain and lightning that was going on. It took me a while to realize that it was a natural phenomenon and not part of the light show.

Could've been a lot worse. I loved the weather on Sunday. There was downpour, but it happened at just the right time for me - while I was seeing the Savages. The rain enhanced the show, and it kept the day from ever getting too hot. I'll take that over the heat and dust of 2012 any day. However, the rain during NIN was a bit too much.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 08-02-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Thousands of people saw Skrillex over NIN?

I don't even hate Skrillex, but WTF!?

Huh -- don't know how I missed this. My turn....

Best Friday act
    Fuji was very front-loaded for me this year, so it's too bad I only get to pick one on Fri. I thought MBV was more listenable than in 2008, but the one-hour limit and daytime scheduling kept it from being great. I really enjoyed Tame Impala and thought they sounded live. But I'm going to have to go with NIN here. That probably has as much to do with it being my first time seeing them as the show itself.

Honorable mention
    Tame Impala.

Best Saturday act
    Rocket from the Crypt. I won't suffer any debate over this. The monologue about monkey pussy was weird, though.

Honorable mention
    Fermin Muguruza. He saved what was turning into a pretty boring Sat night.

Best Sunday act
    I'll go with The xx. Agree that they were much better than the last time.

Honorable mention
    Savages. Too bad it was pissing down -- the crowd might have been rowdier.

Best overall act
    Rocket from the Crypt. I've waited a long time to see them, and they were TOTALLY worth it.

Favorite day
    Friday. NIN, MBV, Tame Impala, Rhye, Local Natives, Death Grips, Gary Clark Jr.....

Best new discovery
    Rhye.

Most disappointing act
    Sorry, Stapler, but Cat Power. Though I like the music OK, I couldn't get into her at all. Runner-up to Death Grips. I hated how they played in silhouette against a white screen. They were also a bit too loud, but that's the Red Marquee late at night for ya.

Probably a tie between DIIV and Foals.

Best food
    The seafood ball things at the Prince Hotel stall at the ticket area. They sold out quickly too.

Worst food
    I didn't have anything atrocious.

Biggest WTF
    My friends all being back at the lodge by midnight on Sun. Pussies.

Not the worst I've seen, for sure. The mud was tolerable. I felt the other way around about NIN and Savages though. Maybe it's a state of mind thing.