Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2013

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2013

I'm trying to get a handle on the new look of the lineup page. I'm not sure Skrillex, Jurassic 5 and The xx are Green Stage subheadliners. Instead, I'm wondering if they're the White Stage headliners. Has anyone heard anything about it?

oh.kamikaze, I managed to track down the other place that responded, they were called Lodge Oka (naebaoka@ybb.ne.jp) but don't know what they are like as didn't bother chasing it up as had already booked Lodge Kashiwagi. The Kinta is also worth trying (kinta@kinta.com) as looked a bit nicer and closer to the festival but were pricier as all the basic rooms were gone.
    We stayed at OKA last year and it's looking like our place again this year. It's about a 15-min walk from the main gate, downhill to the right behind the Prince if the festival is behind you. We thought we were screwed last year and banished to Echigo-Yuzawa because we waited too long and all accommodation in the area was already taken thanks to the Stone Roses-Radiohead effect. But then the OKA manager said he could get us a prefab trailer and stick it in the parking lot for us. OKA's just like the others -- pretty basic, mattress on the floor, etc. There are showers, though I would recommend doing this in the morning when nobody's there. What was interesting about it was that half the summer staff was from Zhuhai.

Kinta said they're fully booked.

And if you enjoyed Manu Chao's set in 2011, there's a good chance you'll like Fermin Muguruza too.
    The name sounds Basque. I like Basque country. And I LOVED Manu Chao's set.

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    I'm trying to get a handle on the new look of the lineup page. I'm not sure Skrillex, Jurassic 5 and The xx are Green Stage subheadliners. Instead, I'm wondering if they're the White Stage headliners. Has anyone heard anything about it?
    I'm wondering the same thing. Skrillex --> Nine Inch Nails and xx --> Cure kind of makes sense, but Jurassic 5 --> Bjork seems plain weird. But then again, if those bands were White headliners, that means the Cure and the xx would conflict with each other, and I don't know if they would do that.

Assuming that those bands are Green sub-headliners (which we don't know yet), I'm kind of worried that the pit area during Jurassic 5's set would be filled with people waiting for Bjork rather than those that want to see J5. J5 --> DJ Shadow --> Bjork would seem to make more sense, but maybe Shadow is playing Splendour or something and is unavailable on Saturday. Maybe he'll close the festival out on Sunday after the Cure?

Edit: By the way, am I the only one here who sort of wants to see Suzanne Vega? Mind you, the number of Suzanne Vega songs that I am familiar with stands at one ("Tom's Diner"). Kind of like how I wanted to see the Presidents of the United States of America back in 2008 or 2009 although "Lump" was the only song I knew (alas, I missed them for one reason or another).
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 03-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Epic enough that Mumford isn't even headlining or sub-headlining! Japanese people are smart
    Mumfords could be good as a Sunday avo act....kinda like Seua Kuti or Toots last year. But yeah thank fuck they aren't headlining.

The Cure tho' is a serious headliner....one of the all-time great festival bands.

Thanks for all the info on the hotels. I'll start sending some emails around and see how I go. I camped last year but I'm thinking due to the excellent weather last year, this year has got to be rain all weekend right? aha

Some more additions:

Karl Hyde
    Asai Kenichi & Bad Teacher Kill Club
    Boys Noize
    Darkstar
    David Murray Big Band featuring Macy Gray
    Doberman
    Dohatsuten
    The Gaslamp Killer
    Haim
    Fusanosuke Kondoh & The 1968 Band
    Mannish Boys
    The Sea and Cake
    Takkyu Ishino
    Turtle Island
    Very Be Careful

Hah, Macy Gray. Someone mentioned her a while back in the "where are they now" sense.

Don't know Karl Hyde outside Underworld. Any idea of what kind of show he'll bring?

Overall, I'm not overly enthused for this round, outside of a couple of potentially interesting late-night shows at the Red.

New additions:

Morio Agata
    Char
    Local Natives
    Peppertones
    Baiana System
    Skinny Lister
    Steruss
    Shugo Tokumaru
    Vampire Weekend
    Baauer
    A Hundred Birds
    Tokiko Kato with Theatre Brook
    Mitsukaze and Green Massive
    Sheena and the Rokkets
    Soutaisei Riron

A little bit heavy on local acts. The biggest name is probably Vampire Weekend, but the one I'm most excited about is Local Natives, who were fantastic in 2010. I'm also looking forward to seeing A Hundred Birds (although I don't know what they are like live without an orchestra backing), and Soutaisei Riron is a guilty pleasure of mine.

So it looks like we get two "bolded" acts per day, which I guess means one is the Green sub-headliner and the other a White headliner. Jurassic 5 would have to be the White headliner on Saturday with Karl Hyde playing before Bjork at Green, right? The crowd for J5 is going to be so small. Any guesses as to how VW and the xx will work out? And we can expect one more (fairly) big name for Friday.

Oh, and remember when I was so cocksure that Alabama Shakes would play Fuji that I offered to bet whatever amount of money that they'd make an appearance? I'm glad no one took me up on that bet because, looking at their itinerary, it ain't happening.

And Splendour in the Grass has announced their lineup. I think we can assume the ones who are playing there on Saturday are out for Fuji. Or so you would think. Polyphonic Spree, a Saturday act for Splendour, is playing a Korean festival held on the same weekend which is making me wonder how they're going to make that work. Korea isn't that closer to Australia than Japan, is it? I suppose if they played an early slot for one or the other it would be doable, although I don't understand why Splendour doesn't just schedule them on Friday or Sunday. In any case, no Polyphonic Spree at Fuji.

Your guess for Sat sounds good to me. As for Sun, I think either The xx or Vampire Weekend will be across from The Cure on the White Stage -- probably VW as they played the Green last time, if that counts for anything.

Dreaming a bit, maybe they're bolding the Red Stage headliners too ... and we've got four more big-gish names coming, not just one?

I'm surprised the Polyphonic Spree are doing anything else that weekend, considering they have to move dozens of people around. As for the other Splendour acts, I'm most interested in the potential for Surfer Blood and TV on the Radio to play Friday (which would overload that day for me and lead to some painful conflicts, but too much is better than too little). It looks like Surfer Blood have that Friday open on their schedule. They're also touring with Foals -- not that it really matters. Speaking of Foals, I see them in the 6pm Green Stage slot on Sat. Just a guess.

Dreaming a bit, maybe they're bolding the Red Stage headliners too ... and we've got four more big-gish names coming, not just one?
    My guess for the Red headliners is Rocket From the Crypt on Saturday, and Tahiti 80 or Yo La Tengo on Sunday. I'm not really sure about Friday - Flying Lotus or DJ Shadow perhaps? Or someone who has yet to be announced.

And I'm not seeing any closer-like act on Sunday. Of course, we didn't have one last year, but I really hope they haven't done away with it for good.

My guess for the Red headliners is Rocket From the Crypt on Saturday
    That would suit me fine since I don't have a lot of enthusiasm for Bjork. The question then would be whether I'd passively catch the rest of her show from far back, or hike all the way to the White for Jurassic 5.

Also playing on Sat is Kendrick Lamar, who is a real wild card. I could see him playing the Red, White, Green, or even late night at the Red. I guess I'm going with afternoon White for now.

Gary Clark Jr. -- Field of Heaven or early afternoon Green slot? I guess White's a possibility too....

So this year will be my first Fuji Rock experience and I'm planning on camping with a friend that lives out in Japan. We are contemplating driving to the festival but are unsure of the parking situation there. Do you have to pay for a parking spot? Or is parking included with the camping ticket? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.
    Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12
    Upcoming Shows:
    7/26-28: Fuji Rock Festival
    8/3-4: HARD Summer
    8/9: Grizzly Bear @ Hollywood Forever - Pryda Friends @ Create
    8/24-25: FYF Fest

You'll need separate parking tickets. I expect all the good parking spots are long gone by now...

Oh, and you know that festival in tokyo I mentioned that was supposed to have MBV, Blur etc.? It was run by an incompetent douchebag and got cancelled. Which I guess is why MBV just got added to Fuji.

Really excited to see My Bloody Valentine again. Saw them earlier this year in Melbourne and they were unprecedentedly incredible. Also, Jim O'Rourke with Kenta Maeno + band should be another great addition to this increasingly great lineup. Just starting to worry about possible headline clashing... What's the chance MBV would headline the Red Marquee with Skrillex on White and NIN on Green? I see Skrillex playing later in the night, possibly, but I'm not too fussed if I miss him at all. Let's hope MBV and NIN are at least staggered.

With My Bloody Valentine playing, I'm definitely going this year!

Just starting to worry about possible headline clashing... What's the chance MBV would headline the Red Marquee with Skrillex on White and NIN on Green?
    This terrifies me. First of all, MBV headlined in 2008, so anything less is a demotion. But since NIN is clearly the Green headliner for Fri, a demotion they'll get. The question is, demoted to where? I really fear Skrillex is going to get 7:30 on the Green followed by NIN, and MBV will be on the White. MBV leading into NIN on the Green with Skrillex on the White would be ideal. MBV headlining the Red (I think it's way too small given how much the Japanese fans seem to like them) would be palatable because that would still leave close to an hour of NIN's set to catch.

That said, I'm glad Tokyo Rocks got canceled because the organizer is an incompetent douchebag. We'll at least get the choice.

Post Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2013

I'm glad it also terrifies someone else. Do not want to decide between NIN and MBV if a clash comes up. Last year I planned to see half Radiohead and half At The Drive-In. Half way through Radiohead, 7/8th of the way into however many thousand people, I was not leaving and nor did I really want to with how great Radiohead was. Never seeing ATDI now...
    I really can't see MBV in the Red Marquee, almost definitely a Green stager. I'm hoping for a late DJ Shadow headline of the Red Marquee.
    What are the chances of Brian Jonestown Massacre coming on board Fuji as another ex-Tokyo Rocks band? Also, guess there's no chance of Blur?

Never seeing ATDI now...
    That's probably my all-time worst clash. I hated missing ATDI.

What are the chances of Brian Jonestown Massacre coming on board Fuji as another ex-Tokyo Rocks band? Also, guess there's no chance of Blur?
    No idea about Brian Jonestown Massacre. As for Blur, they're in Europe that weekend.

Really praying for an addition of Moderat. With Modeselektor already there it shouldn't be too hard to get Apparat to come around.
    Coachella '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12
    Upcoming Shows:
    7/26-28: Fuji Rock Festival
    8/3-4: HARD Summer
    8/9: Grizzly Bear @ Hollywood Forever - Pryda Friends @ Create
    8/24-25: FYF Fest

That said, I'm glad Tokyo Rocks got canceled because the organizer is an incompetent douchebag. We'll at least get the choice.
    Not going to lie - I was a little bummed. It would've been held this weekend, in fact. However, this didn't stop me from finding amusement in how the organizer became such a figure of ridicule over here (although the ridiculing didn't start with the cancellation announcement - people were already making fun of him, and the cancellation merely amplified it).

As to NIN vs. MBV, I had the same concern when I found out MBV were added, since I expected them to be the White headliner. But their name isn't bolded in the lineup page, so go figure. Then again, this is the first time they're doing the bolding thing in this manner, and we can't really be sure what it refers to. Who's to say that the two other bolded names aren't the Green sub-headliner and sub-sub-headliners?
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 05-09-2013 at 12:23 AM.

MBV was an unexpected windfall anyway. If Tokyo Rocks hadn't been cancelled, they probably wouldn't have played Fuji. So with them being such a sudden addition, it might make sense for them to be positioned lower than they'd normally be.

Whatever happens I want to be able to see these guys, Soil & Pimp Sessions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWHP_mGPlJk

Quote Originally Posted by oh.kamikaze View Post
    Whatever happens I want to be able to see these guys, Soil & Pimp Sessions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWHP_mGPlJk
    I hope you don't mind going to the Field of Heaven first thing in the morning! (Which I actually do every year.)

Anyway, so yeah, they announced the stage splits last night. A couple of thoughts:

-My predictions for the Red Marquee headliners were way off.

-There's a clusterfuck of epic proportions on Friday afternoon for me. The third-to-last bands on the five main stages are all bands that I want to see. WTF? Smash owes me a personal apology (and some free beer vouchers) for this outrage. I'm really hoping that the unannounced White stage act will end up bumping Of Monsters And Men down so that they won't conflict with the others.

Anyway, my schedule so far looks like this. This is hugely subject to change, of course.

Friday
    Turtle Island --> Morio Agata --> Sea and Cake (I'm assuming they play a little earlier, since the Orange Court always ends early on Friday) --> clusterfuck --> Flying Lotus or Chara (the J-pop singer, not the tall Slovakian dude) --> NIN --> Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba

Saturday
    Priscilla Ahn --> Lama --> Aimee Mann --> Tom Odell --> Kendrick Lamar --> Fermin Muguruza

Sunday
    A Hundred Birds --> Jazzanova --> Savages --> Toro y Moi or Mumford & Sons --> Soutaisei Riron --> The Cure
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 06-05-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Fuck, some major conflicts ... mostly on the Fri. Gotta run, but more later.

So long as Field of Heaven isn't Field of Mud, I look forward to Soil & Pimp starting the weekend. But, I agree there are heaps of clashes, Friday especially. My schedule is going to have a lot of late nights this year, mostly Friday with Dj Shadow, Death Grips, Gaslamp Killer.

OK, more thoughts besides "fuck".

Friday is terrible. It's packed at nighttime, which of course means there will be conflicts ... but it looks like I'm going to have to sacrifice Gary Clark Jr. and Tame Impala because of how they have arranged MBV (likely a 6-ish start) and NIN (9:30). The best option for anything in between looks like 45 minutes of Flying Lotus (starting probably around 8?) at the White.

As for earlier on Fri, there is virtually nothing that interests me much (at least right now). I was hoping Death Grips would get a mid-afternoon Red or White slot, but no dice. Might hit the Dragondola or check out the smaller stages depending on what gets announced. On the plus side, after-hours at the Red Marquee should be pretty epic with Death Grips and DJ Shadow.

Saturday is not much better. It looks like Rocket from the Crypt and Aimee Mann will be in almost direct conflict, and in that case Aimee loses. Sorry, Aimee. The main choice for me will be how I spend the last two acts of the evening -- doing hip-hop at the White, or atmospheric, weird shit at the Green. Either way, looks like no Fermin Muguruza for me.

I'm very meh about Sunday. During the day I'm only planning on seeing DIIV and Yo La Tengo. Then it's either The xx, whom I found underwhelming in 2010, or Fat Robert Smith. Maybe Macy Gray and her fingernails?

Ooh, I forgot about DJ Shadow. I'm penciling him in, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay up that late TBH. And I also forgot that I meant to see Foals, since I ended up literally sleeping through most of their set in 2010 (that's not a judgment on the interestingness of their live show - I was just really, really tired).

kamikaze - I've seen Soil & Pimp a zillion times so they're not really high-priority for me, but seeing as how I'll be right next door at Orange on Friday morning, I'll probably catch a part of their set unless it conflicts directly with Turtle Island.

Either way, looks like no Fermin Muguruza for me.
    Friday night at the Crystal Palace maybe? I kind of want to do the same thing in order to free myself up to see either Bjork or J5 on Saturday, but i) again, I am no longer capable of staying up really late; and ii) the tent will probably be insanely crowded, and there's a chance I'd have to be there early in order to even get in. I might encounter the same problem with Bassekou, in which case I'm seeing them on Sunday instead of Soutaisei Riron.

Friday night at the Crystal Palace maybe?
    I forgot what the timings of the CP shows usually are, but I'm guessing he might be on around the same time as DJ Shadow. If I get lucky on the way back, I'll definitely check him out.

Yeah, I'm also missing Tame Impala and Gary Clark Jr. I'm hoping to somehow catch a piece of Flying Lotus too, somewhere around NIN though I hope... I think I'll end up missing The XX and Ego-wrappin, for The Cure and 'fat Robert Smith' aha. Sunday also, I'm hoping to catch DIIV, Portugal. The Man, Yo La Tengo, Savages & Toro Y Moi.