Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle vs. Driving?

Cool Shuttle vs. Driving?

Last time I was at Coachella was 2010, and I remember it took us 3 hours one night to get out of the parking lot.

We are renting a house near the shuttle line - is it worth it to just take the shuttle or would it be better if we drove and parked at the festival?

Default Re: Shuttle vs. Driving?

For sure driving. What I end up doing is hanging out with people @ the campsites until the driving dies down.

I like avoiding the shuttles because I hate being on other peoples watch, and usually their entails driving anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by windwatrerthfir View Post
    For sure driving. What I end up doing is hanging out with people @ the campsites until the driving dies down.

I like avoiding the shuttles because I hate being on other peoples watch, and usually their entails driving anyways.
    Smooth plan...

i've done the shuttles the last 2 years, and they are great. definitely go with the shuttles. being on "other peoples watch" does not make an sense. you essentially have non-stop shuttle service from 11am until an hour after the last band ends. it's fast and easy. and they have their own dedicated lanes to and from the festival, so no traffic.

More info here:

Let's talk shuttles!
    Cheers to Valley Music Travel

Shuttles are great because you can stay until the end of the fest each night and not worry about delays leaving the parking lot.

I think actually the best bet is to drive the shuttle.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think actually the best bet is to drive the shuttle.
    I also think this will be the best option.

The only issue with the shuttle is the death march at the end of the night ALL the way around the shuttle lot. That thing wears you out after a day at the fest.

Shuttles are best, but be prepared for a full body tsa style patdown at the first security checkpoint...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Shuttles are best, but be prepared for a full body tsa style patdown at the first security checkpoint...
    With or without the rubber glove treatment?

it was seriously bad, every day. i have opted out of the full-body scanners at the airport and gotten the full pat-down, and the security at the shuttle entrance was worse. they checked my shoes. they had 3 people in handcuffs when i entered at some point on saturday. i was waiting for someone and hung around for 15 minutes, and they ended up letting all 3 of them go. those people's reactions were pretty amazing when they got the cuffs off and were allowed inside.

Why the fuck would you drive there apart from avoiding a pat-down? It seems the most convienent thing is a shuttle...especially when there's plenty of assholes who won't do that and think driving to the fest will be easy every day...

I'm camping so I never have to leave....

Shuttle>driving for about a million reasons.

At this point I think we all know that gate procedures ebb and flow and are unpredictable. 2010 was the cluster, so naturally 2011 was easy flowing. The shuttle security lines in 2011 were <1 minute with no pat-downs. And then in 2012, they overcompensated with over-the-top pat-downs at the Shuttle checkpoint. I wouldn't be surprised that in 2013, they back off a bit.

If you are staying right on one of the shuttle lines, it's pretty good. But if you're relying on a cab to the shuttle stop, it's a nightmare...cab waits are sooooo bad especially at 1am when you just want to get home and rest your sore feet. We stayed at Aqua Caliente last year and that shuttle was a lonnnnnng ride. So I'd recommend being near enough to walk to the shuttle stop, and pick one of the shorter shuttle rides.

Unless you are going to be sober at Coachella, take the shuttle. An intense pat down is better than a DUI, just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post

We were camped right in front of the security checkpoint for the shuttles last year, the in depth searches were pretty nuts to watch. Whenever they found something they would make you sit against the fence and have the police officer come talk to you, then they made you throw your drugs into a box and let you into the festival. Kept hoping for a big gust of wind to knock that box over...

Shuttle sucked so bad. It takes forever and you inevitably miss whoever you had first on your daily schedule, the extra search touched my nuts and the hike at the end of the night totally kills your buzz and feet. Altogether a horrible experience.

Ride a bike if you're close or trade off being designated drivers if you're in PS or something.

We had a terrible experience with the extra search as well...took me 3 hours to get in on Sunday. It seemed to be hit and miss. Left early one day got stuck in it, left later the next same. I'm curious, did the people that drove in have an extra search as well?

despite the horrible pat-down and the very long walk at the end of the night, shuttles are still way better than driving. no question.

Quote Originally Posted by mjake07 View Post
    If you are staying right on one of the shuttle lines, it's pretty good. But if you're relying on a cab to the shuttle stop, it's a nightmare...cab waits are sooooo bad especially at 1am when you just want to get home and rest your sore feet. We stayed at Aqua Caliente last year and that shuttle was a lonnnnnng ride. So I'd recommend being near enough to walk to the shuttle stop, and pick one of the shorter shuttle rides.
    I hear ya about missing early acts. We missed our first act first two days (mainly because of the 45 min drive from Aqua Caliente), so on the 3rd day we basically bribed the shuttle guys to leave30 mins early so we could see our first band. They were super cool and friendly too though - gave us water and got everyone pumped up. Bus drivers were all fun and they played music for each day in the bus.

Only other bummer was the stupid long walk at the end of the night to get to your shuttle.....gotta be a better way. Still, driving seems like a bad bad idea....

wow i don't know what shuttle lines there people were on but i was NEVER searched on the shuttle bus. I was on the hotel shuttle bus with the renaissance esmerelda. there were frequent buses leaving, never waited more than 15 minutes to leave the shuttle stop. one shuttle bus was actually like a party bus with a stripper pole and people were just getting shitfaced on the bus. the only bad thing is leaving the festival. if you wait until the end of the last set (like most people) then you are going to be in the biggest clusterfuck of people that you have ever experienced walking about 1.5 miles back tot he shuttle stop which is pretty brutal at the end of a day. exiting coachella on a shuttle bus is a LOT faster than driving (i also experienced the year where it took 4 hours to get out of the parking lot)
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayleymoo View Post
    wow i don't know what shuttle lines there people were on but i was NEVER searched on the shuttle bus. I was on the hotel shuttle bus with the renaissance esmerelda. there were frequent buses leaving, never waited more than 15 minutes to leave the shuttle stop. one shuttle bus was actually like a party bus with a stripper pole and people were just getting shitfaced on the bus. the only bad thing is leaving the festival. if you wait until the end of the last set (like most people) then you are going to be in the biggest clusterfuck of people that you have ever experienced walking about 1.5 miles back tot he shuttle stop which is pretty brutal at the end of a day. exiting coachella on a shuttle bus is a LOT faster than driving (i also experienced the year where it took 4 hours to get out of the parking lot)
    I don't think they are talking about a search on the shuttle bus.
    You have to go through two search gates from the shuttle stop to the festival field.
    I guess they are talking about the first one?
    Never tried driving in but shuttles are good!

As for the sunday night after everything is finished, you won't enjoy it with or without the clusterfuck walking back to the shuttle stop.
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

if you are relatively close, the shuttles are the way to go hands down. if you aren't then it's difficult to say

im in a situation this year as my hotel of the past 3 years decided to finally jack up their rates by a few hundred, so this year i'll be back in palm springs. the thought of taking a shuttle that far is very VERY unappealing, seeing as how slow the things go and how usually the drive to the venue its filled with bros/brohos drinking 4LOCO and just being really fucking annoying in general (the ride back is almost always very mellow). if it comes down to me riding on a bus through city streets at 25 mph vs me driving much faster but then dealing with the parking dilemma....

yea fuck, i dont know what im going to do this year. i want my old hotel back damnit

oh and as for security, its ALWAYS a crap shoot. last year weekend 1 day 1 it took almost an hour and a half to get through the first security check. i couldnt fucking believe it when i found we had to go through ANOTHER check after that. saturday was a breeze. sunday was somewhere in the middle. i'll second what the others said though about thorough searches. i've been to hundreds and hundreds of shows but i've never been searched that hard, even at LA county raves. we're talking full frontal gropeage

weekend 2 was similar but not nearly as bad as far as the lines went

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    if it comes down to me riding on a bus through city streets at 25 mph vs me driving much faster but then dealing with the parking dilemma....
    The Palm Springs shuttles jump on I-10 instead of taking the local streets

Last year I took the shuttle... I don't know where I got it, I've never driven a shuttle before.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Drove in for 2011 and shuttled for 2012 (as part of the travel package). Shuttle from Palm Springs was not that bad gonna do it again this year.

Is it a long walk from the Shuttle Drop off to the festival area?

Quote Originally Posted by lolandmark View Post
    Is it a long walk from the Shuttle Drop off to the festival area?
    The walk arriving is pretty close, it's just the mile and a half loop at the end of the night that can be brutal for some.