Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's raining Ticketbastard

Default It's raining Ticketbastard

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...aster-20110203

Concert promoter AEG has partnered with the technology start-up Outbox Technology to create a new ticketing company that will challenge rival promoter Live Nation Entertainment's Ticketmaster.
    http://blogs.forbes.com/laceyrose/20...est-nightmare/

Twelve years after stepping down as CEO of Ticketmaster, Rosen recently returned to the ticketing industry as chief of Outbox Technology’s US subsidiary, Outbox Enterprises. Now, in his fight to not only take down his former employer but also revolutionize the business once again, he has poached one of its biggest clients, the Anschutz Entertainment Group.

As part of the joint venture between AEG and Outbox announced this week, Rosen’s company will begin selling tickets to events at more than 100 AEG venues around the world, including the Staples Center in LA and the O2 in London.
    Could this mean Coachella tickets could be switching to an alternative system in the future?
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 02-08-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Default Re: It's raining Ticketbastard

Hopefully...fuck Ticketmaster and their service charges....thats about it though.
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

This is good.
    4/18-20 Coachella
    4/26 Simian Mobile Disco @ Pappy & Harriet's
    5/1 The Horrors @ First Unitarian Church
    5/29 Thee Oh Sees @ Church on York
    6/7-9 Governors Ball
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival

I know the fees suck, but, honestly, I like ticketmaster. No other ticket company can handle tens of thousands of people spamming refresh at the same time. From a tech stand point, they have their shit down and that's worth some money. It's not cheap being able to withstand a DDoS attack and still have a fully functional website.

For example, trying to buy burning man tickets took me 9 hours. When I went to get tickets, there was a line of 22,000 people in front of me and it took them 9 hours to process them all so I could finally get a ticket.

Does this/is this gonna make AEG a soulless coorperation?
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

old school

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    This is good.
    This is good only if we see a drop in service charges and venue fees. If not its just another fat cat getting richer than the other.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

old school

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I know the fees suck, but, honestly, I like ticketmaster. No other ticket company can handle tens of thousands of people spamming refresh at the same time. From a tech stand point, they have their shit down and that's worth some money. It's not cheap being able to withstand a DDoS attack and still have a fully functional website.

For example, trying to buy burning man tickets took me 9 hours. When I went to get tickets, there was a line of 22,000 people in front of me and it took them 9 hours to process them all so I could finally get a ticket.
    This a very good point. Will they be able to accomodate high volume traffic high demand ticket sales efficiently and swiftly?

I agree with that too, but since they'll be dealing with such high profile venues, I'm sure they'll be on top of their game. This guy used to be their CEO. He knows what kind of shit is necessary and I'm sure he's got a pretty good fucking game plan for it.
    4/18-20 Coachella
    4/26 Simian Mobile Disco @ Pappy & Harriet's
    5/1 The Horrors @ First Unitarian Church
    5/29 Thee Oh Sees @ Church on York
    6/7-9 Governors Ball
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival

As long as ticketmaster doesn't buy them up once they become a real competitor...

old school

Ticketmaster is a juggernaut & they will not go down easily. They will stop at nothing to protect the market they've dominated over the years even if it means drastically cutting service charges to compete.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    As long as ticketmaster doesn't buy them up once they become a real competitor...
    Yes doing this also.

In the early 90's, Ticketmaster had very little market share in Arizona. Most venues sold through Dillards Department stores. Fees were always $2. And that was all handled by people...either in the store or on the phone.

Dillards stopped selling tickets and suddenly fees jumped to $5 when everyone switched to TM. Sure the website is great, but once that infrastructure is in place, selling online is a lot cheaper than paying for manpower. It's ridiculous.

And charging to print your own, while mailing for free = insanity.
    The Tinychat password is coache11a

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloka View Post
    Share the art bus to enhance the festival... can be used as stage for band ...
    I can also come early and help set up ...
    How can you say no to this offer, Goldenvoice?

Whatever happened to the whole Google starting a ticket company? Or was that just internet bullshit being fed to me?

You know its not hard to buy and maintain an entire building of servers to handle the traffic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Does this/is this gonna make AEG a soulless coorperation?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...er-407105.html
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

If their fee's aren't ridiculous, then this will be good for the industry as a whole. I'd be more willing to buy tickets if they weren't 12 dollars over face value everytime. And I'm sure many others will too.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Whatever happened to the whole Google starting a ticket company? Or was that just internet bullshit being fed to me?
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Including this.

"It's raining" has been improperly used.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    In the early 90's, Ticketmaster had very little market share in Arizona. Most venues sold through Dillards Department stores. Fees were always $2. And that was all handled by people...either in the store or on the phone.

Dillards stopped selling tickets and suddenly fees jumped to $5 when everyone switched to TM. Sure the website is great, but once that infrastructure is in place, selling online is a lot cheaper than paying for manpower. It's ridiculous.
    the bay area had a non profit ticket agency before tickmaster came along.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    You know its not hard to buy and maintain an entire building of servers to handle the traffic, right?
    it's not that easy.

So... where does it say service fees will be reduced? It sounds like it just means Ticketmaster will make less money, which might mean more fees to offset losing the AEG venues. Just because AEG is involved doesn't mean we won't see similar fees on their end. The former CEO of Ticketmaster, who undoubtedly grew service fees to new levels in his reign, probably has a similar idea for fees with his new company. Hopefully I am wrong.

It is a good thing if Ticketmaster's power is reduced, but I will wait to see if this deal will have a positive impact on consumers.
    For your health

they're doing this because AEG is going to build the new football stadium that is planned for downtown LA near LA live. 50,000-75,000 venue that will also do 16 games a year plus mega shows and events - means a lot of $ from advertising and service fees that they can make instead of live nation making it

it will also allow AEG to sell tix for their own venues, rather than having to use their chief competitor's ticketmaster platform.

i don't think we'll see less fees. its just anchutz and phillips deciding that they want a piece of the fees market

I think the MBA's have a name for this sort a thing - verticalization?

Competition = good Monopoly = bad

I see no way that this would be a bad thing. Ticketbastard has carte blanche to charge whatever fees they want. If the new partnership gets a foothold in there, this is no more. Ticketbastard will actually have to compete... gasp!

StubHub's infrastructure is more or less 3 times greater than Ticketmaster's.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    StubHub's infrastructure is more or less 3 times greater than Ticketmaster's.
    i don't know man, its kind of apples and oranges.

ticketmaster is a primary market distributor. therefore, it deals with massive demands on its infrastructure for the in demand on-sales

stubhub is a secondary market distributor. it doesn't have to deal with the on-sale traffic.

although, i do enjoy the way stubhub is laid out. its very thoughtful and not much of a headache

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    So... where does it say service fees will be reduced? It sounds like it just means Ticketmaster will make less money, which might mean more fees to offset losing the AEG venues. Just because AEG is involved doesn't mean we won't see similar fees on their end. The former CEO of Ticketmaster, who undoubtedly grew service fees to new levels in his reign, probably has a similar idea for fees with his new company. Hopefully I am wrong.

It is a good thing if Ticketmaster's power is reduced, but I will wait to see if this deal will have a positive impact on consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by thombjork View Post
    they're doing this because AEG is going to build the new football stadium that is planned for downtown LA near LA live. 50,000-75,000 venue that will also do 16 games a year plus mega shows and events - means a lot of $ from advertising and service fees that they can make instead of live nation making it

it will also allow AEG to sell tix for their own venues, rather than having to use their chief competitor's ticketmaster platform.

i don't think we'll see less fees. its just anchutz and phillips deciding that they want a piece of the fees market
    These.

$400 3-day passes next year.

I will still try and buy my tickets in person as much as possible. Ticketmaster does need some competition though, I tried buying a ticket for Thursday at House of blues in anaheim a couple weeks back, and the $20 sprung to $35 after all their bs. This threw me off completely, I had never seen fees this high,almost paying double the original ticket value in fees.

Quote Originally Posted by thombjork View Post
    i don't know man, its kind of apples and oranges.

ticketmaster is a primary market distributor. therefore, it deals with massive demands on its infrastructure for the in demand on-sales

stubhub is a secondary market distributor. it doesn't have to deal with the on-sale traffic.

although, i do enjoy the way stubhub is laid out. its very thoughtful and not much of a headache
    TicketMaster has never dealt with the simultaneous connections issues that StubHub has. I know networking engineers at both companies. StubHub's numbers for pageviews/connections/etc per minute are amazing during any major sporting event with minimal slowdown.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

From a tech stand point, they have their shit down and that's worth some money.
    Now if only they would stop passively endorsing scalpers by refusing to innovate on the captcha system.