Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonar 2014 and Off Sonar events

Default Sonar 2014 and Off Sonar events

Sónar 12.13.14 June 2014 Barcelona's 21st International Festival of Advanced Music and New Media Art

First round of acts and it's a good one:
    Balago
    Bonobo
    Caribou
    Clipping.
    Copeland
    Desert
    Downliners Sekt
    Evian Christ (dj set)
    Four Tet
    Gesaffelstein
    Happa
    I Am Legion
    James Holden
    Jessy Lanza
    Jon Hopkins
    Majical Cloudz
    Massive Attack
    Matmos
    Moderat
    Nisennenmondai
    Oneohtrix Point Never
    Pau Roca
    Plastikman | Objekt
    Richie Hawtin | Close
    Woodkid

This will be the debut of Massive Attack's new live show.

Default Re: Sonar 2014 and Off Sonar events

....in Europe that is....hopefully.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I think it would specify European. I sure don't expect them at Coachella because there are already too many solid subheadlining leads and rumors, and I think this seals it.

Actually considering swinging this and Optimus Primavera the weekend before. The airfare would be $1500+, and that's not including the flight from Porto to Barcelona, so fuck that. Then again, it's currently the same for a roundtrip from LA to Barcelona for Primavera, so fuck that, too.

Plastikman set at Coachella plz

We need Nisennenmondai at Coachella. The one band from Primavera 2011 that didn't seem to have a single naysayer after their set.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I think it would specify European. I sure don't expect them at Coachella because there are already too many solid subheadlining leads and rumors, and I think this seals it.

Actually considering swinging this and Optimus Primavera the weekend before. The airfare would be $1500+, and that's not including the flight from Porto to Barcelona, so fuck that. Then again, it's currently the same for a roundtrip from LA to Barcelona for Primavera, so fuck that, too.
    Wait you're thinking of going or no? The lineup is massive for Sonar so far. Happy to see Massive Attack and Caribou on lineups.

Nisennenmondai was really good at Roskilde (2010 too!

Wow. So I've gone to Sonar the last two years and was dead set against going this year (only because I really want to try to more festivals and stop just going to Barcelona all the time). This is a really really promising start.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Plastikman set at Coachella plz
    Does Plastikman still use the same stage set up as he had at Coachella in 2010?
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Different stage set up

Richie Hawtin, the globally recognised key figure of electronica, will update his recording alias Plastikman. Richie Hawtin's Plastikman will make a return to Sónar with the first European performance of his developing 'Objekt' live concept – debuted at the Guggenheim in New York last month. Hawtin and his team created an entire new audio and visual experience for the Guggenheim – inspired by the room he was asked to perform in. Plastikman will return to Sónar in 2014 with the new music, visuals and a special variation on the obelisk that his team created for the landmark art event.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Wait you're thinking of going or no? The lineup is massive for Sonar so far. Happy to see Massive Attack and Caribou on lineups.
    Thinking about it. Doing this and optimus primavera in one trip would be incredible, but that airfare! Even though it isn't as stacked as the Barcelona ones are, the optimus lineups are still good and I'd get to see some of the primavera crew, and then doing sonar would let me have a new festival experience and let me see Nisennenmondai and massive attack (I know there's no chance in hell anyone in america books the former). For what plane tickets cost now, I might as well do two fests in one trip, but I'll have to see how some lineups (and my finances) turn out.

There's only a few acts that are on my must-see list for next year (so far) that I think are probably not going to play Coachella or LA, so it makes more sense financially to stay domestic and do more for less.

old school

Where would are you planning on flying out Boourns? Iceland Air (and the new Norwegian flights) should make getting to Europe much cheaper than $1500!

Well, the airfare is really pricey, but IMO that's more reason to hit multiple festivals or at least multiple cities while you're there, if you're able to get enough time off. I've done that 5 of the last 7 years and have no regrets about it at all. You can find some pretty good prices on budget airlines, and Porto to Barcelona is pretty feasible via overnight train if you wanted to save on a night's lodging too. In addition to hostels, there are a lot of apartment rentals online these days. That's what I've done the last few times and it was a lot cheaper than a hotel and more comfortable than a hostel. Saved a lot of money on food since you could cook, too.

Boourns, you've been to Barcelona a couple of times, right? If you've explored Barcelona enough, and had the time and funds to do it, you could easily stop over somewhere else for a few days in between -- Madrid would be very easy, as would Bilboa. Granada or Sevilla would be less easy, but those would be my top suggestions if you could swing one of those.

I've also been doing open jaw flights (arriving and departing from different cities), for example last time I did London -> Barcelona -> Berlin, the time before Barcelona -> Lyon -> London. It's pretty easy to fill in days in between with cheap flights and train rides.

I've only been to Barcelona once. Was supposed to this year but had to cancel at last minute.

Oh, well, then for all means, do it and spend a few extra days in Barcelona taking in sites. It's tough to sightsee much during Sonar because there are morning parties, afternoon parties, night parties, late night parties...

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

new Massive Attack stage set? Yay
    chance of them using it in the states? Boo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Wow that lineup is amazing

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I took Ryanair from Barcelona to Porto for something like 50 euros one way (includes the extra 25 euro for 20kg checkin luggage). The flight time was super early but if you are flexible you can find flights to a lot of major European cities for reasonable prices through Easyjet and Ryanair. Helps to book early.

Cheapest open jaw option to fly into Porto and out of Barcelona I've found so far is $1488, which is as much as a straight roundtrip to anywhere in Europe that time of year. Will they go down any after the new year?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Does Plastikman still use the same stage set up as he had at Coachella in 2010?
    New album is finished!

Here's Plastikman @ Guggenheim from last month...

8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Does anyone have a rough idea when the Off Sonar parties/tickets will be released?? Cheers

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

This sounds pretty cool.

JUST ANNOUNCED!

What is Despacio? A new CLUBBING experience with James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem) & 2manydjs playing everyday a SIX-HOUR-LONG set with VINYL from their own exclusive private collections powered by an astonishing SOUND SYSTEM within a new space at SONAR BY DAY (with a limited capacity of 1200 persons).

“Despacio is happiness!” and is unmissable.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Hello guys, i run the website OFF Party and the facebook page OFF Party Barcelona dedicated to the OFF Sonar week events. I've done a special access to all the off events here : http://bit.ly/off2014
    if you have some questions about the off sonar 2014 events, i'll be pleased to help
    have a great week end
    regards
    Stéphane

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Full lineup officially out today. I can't believe just how great this is.

August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

wow that's a stellar lineup.

Seriously. I feel like I won't like another sonar lineup as much. Maybe I should go back to my plan of optimus primavera and sonar. Doubt I can get two weeks off, though. Hmm.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

That's just the official events too. There is probably close to 100 more artists during the week not on that lineup although mostly focusing on DJ sets.

next time i go back to Barcelona for sonar I'll probably just do off events. They're a lot more interesting than the actual sonar...sonar day was pretty cool though. I heard it used to be even better before they moved sonar by day out of the old city.

I did not do the Sonar by Day events and really wished I did - the lineups for the Day festival events were really good. Was happy that I did the one Sonar by Night event (Kraftwerk 3D, Objekt, Karenn) but there was quite a few solid option that night for off events but I heard they can have issues (oversold/bad sound). Doing all off events can get pricey depending on what parties you go to and what level you bought the tickets at. All worth it though

There's just way to much going on to cover everything! Terrific all around event

That's not even all of the official Sonar acts, either. That looks really good... wish I was going this year!

As for Sonar by Day, I skipped it in 2012 and went in 2013 (after the move). So I can't compare the ambiance of the old venue to the new, but I thought the new one worked just fine. The sound was fine, lines were short, there was enough space. The reason for the move was the growth in popularity, right? I can't imagine having it in a smaller venue because some of the sets were fairly packed. Also having the shuttles for Sonar by Night immediately by the Sonar by Day venue was a nice change, it was possible to move straight between the events.