Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

Ya never know Fax. In just saying, if someone wants to end lives, there's ways to do much more damage than resorting to a knife if guns were to be illegal.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

The thing is, most gun owners are very responsible. The .1% that do shit like this shouldn't lead to the 99.9% of responsible owners getting penalized.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

the .1% were also responsible gun owners until they did something like this.

access to mental health and sane gun control policies should be no-brainers in this country and let we're afraid to have the national conversation about it.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Ok well let's take this argument into a reasonable territory, what the fuck is so wrong with stricter background checks? What is the advantage to the general public of citizens being able to own and conceal and carry handguns? Don't give me any "I feel safer with a gun" bs either
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    The thing is, most gun owners are very responsible. The .1% that do shit like this shouldn't lead to the 99.9% of responsible owners getting penalized.
    Define "getting penalized".
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

well if guns ever were to get banned then owning them would be illegal, which wouldn't be fair to the responsible owners out there.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I think people are confusing "gun control" with "gun ban".
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I was pistol whipped when I was 18. Fun fact

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Fo' realz. we talkin bout gun control not gun abolition

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I don't know it was time for fun facts! I had a step dad hold one to my head when I was like 9 years old. He never got in any trouble with guns either. He was a responsible gun owner.

To be fair the argument started heating up with Tomaz saying "repeal the 2nd amendment" in the other thread
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    yeah, that's my mistake then. i definitely agree with stricter regulations and background checks. as you can imagine it is ridiculously easy to get a gun where i live.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Just noticed this news item. A bit uncanny how this happened about twelve hours before the tragedy in Connecticut:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-20723910

A man with a knife has wounded 22 children - at least two of them seriously - and an adult at a primary school in central China.

The attack happened at the gate of a school in Chenpeng village in Henan province.

Police arrested a 36-year-old local man at the scene.

Security at China's schools has been increased in recent years following a spate of similar knife attacks in which nearly 20 children have been killed.

The BBC's John Sudworth in Shanghai says many of the attackers have been mentally disturbed men, prompting a debate about the effects of China's recent, rapid social change and the inability of an antiquated hospital system to cope with rising levels of mental illness.

The Associated Press news agency quotes a police officer as saying that this latest attack happened as pupils were arriving for classes.

The agency also quotes a county hospital administrator as saying that the man first attacked an elderly woman, then the children, before being overpowered by security guards.

He added that two of the injured pupils had been transferred to better-equipped hospitals outside the county.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    You two are so fucking stupid it brings genuine tears to my eyes. That I am locked into the same species with you hideous worms causes me unbearable sadness.

Fuck you, Mike Huckabee:

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Huckabee has that same spaced-out, disturbing look in his face that Kevin Spacey had when he was sitting in the back of the police car at the end of Seven. Come to think of it, given all the criminals he released that wound up killing cops and murdering women, he has just about as much blood on his hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    You two are so fucking stupid it brings genuine tears to my eyes. That I am locked into the same species with you hideous worms causes me unbearable sadness.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I knew the atheists were responsible. Not just for this shooting but all school shootings.

regardless of whether he had a gun or not this guy was looking to do some kind of damage. if a gun wasn't available he would've used a knife or something else. The real issue should be finding a way to deal with these psychopaths because this is going to happen again guns or not.
    Literally all you have to do to negate this argument is look at the school in China today, where a man went on a stabbing spree and 20 children were INJURED. Not killed, injured. A horrible tragedy there, yes, but they didn't die.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

And something I've long thought would be common sense legislation: why don't we require every single weapon to be registered to its user? Then if the weapon changes hands, it would have to be registered by the new user. We do this with cars and nobody bats an eye, and that process provides some level of accountability. If your weapon is stolen or lost, you must immediately report it. If you don't and it's used in a criminal act, you are held liable as an accessory for providing a weapon to a criminal.

Also, is there a single rational argument for owning a handgun? Can anyone provide me with one?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And something I've long thought would be common sense legislation: why don't we require every single weapon to be registered to its user? Then if the weapon changes hands, it would have to be registered by the new user. We do this with cars and nobody bats an eye, and that process provides some level of accountability. If your weapon is stolen or lost, you must immediately report it. If you don't and it's used in a criminal act, you are held liable as an accessory for providing a weapon to a criminal.
    Agreed. I would go further and suggest that any registered gun should be taken to a local police department and one round discharged into a wooden block, and the ballistics report stored in a national database accessible to all local police departments.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

And if you hand in a gun you no longer need, you get a tax deduction.

I'm a proponent of waiting lists, registration, and proper training. During someone's waiting list for a new firearm, they should be required to spend a few hours getting trained on proper gun use/ownership. just like we have driver's licenses I think we should have licenses for firearms.

you can even scale it out to different types of firearms and even include conceal carry permits with the different levels of licenses.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

Well, having worked on two cases with ballistics tests, there are quite a few experts who feel that ballistics testing is, like fingerprint extraction and eyewitness ID, a completely faulty and mostly incorrect science. I like the idea in theory, but I'd fear that it would wind up being used to link people to crimes they didn't commit.

Here's the central problem of gun politics and regulation: the NRA and the Republican Party have adopted a maximalist strategy of opposing any and all new regulation of firearms, no matter how sensible or remote from the idea of actually prohibiting private gun ownership. They've created the most effective single issue lobby since prohibition. And like prohibition, they've now compounded the problem by enshrining their viewpoint in the Constitution -- this time through the courts instead of through Amendment. We're in for a long, bloody ride.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I'm a proponent of waiting lists, registration, and proper training. During someone's waiting list for a new firearm, they should be required to spend a few hours getting trained on proper gun use/ownership. just like we have driver's licenses I think we should have licenses for firearms.

you can even scale it out to different types of firearms and even include conceal carry permits with the different levels of licenses.
    Agreed with wait lists, proper training, registration, education and proper licensing.

But again, what would the rational argument ever be for allowing a concealed weapon? The only people who could conceivably have an argument for it would be air marshals in my mind, as every other corrections officer or peace officer is displaying the fact that they have a weapon by putting on a badge.

Nothing is going to change. Handguns are not going away. Assault bans are not going in to effect. There might be more paper work involved but that's it. I'm guessing this thread will be bumped again in another 3 months. It's sad but it the same shit year after year.

And that mindset is a large part of why things haven't changed. Those of us who are proponents for rational change get drowned out by the yelling on both sides, and many people who would otherwise be active in fighting for real change instead become defeatist. Don't fall into the trap of thinking things will never change: help make them change.

but what group could get together a large enough voice to actually incite any kind of change? plenty of people on both sides are pro-gun so it's not strictly a partisan issue.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I went to my first tanner gun show 2 months ago. It was unreal how many people were there buying guns and ammo. A gentleman told me its like this every month they have a show and these shows happen in every state all over this country.

I saw a guy buying over 10,000 rounds. He had two duffle bags and a dolly with him. His kids were helping him carry it all out.

Each table had people 3 rows deep at it. It was probably over 20,000 sqft. My wife who is a staunch liberal and against guns wanted to go just to see what it was all about, was in tears as we left.
    Last edited by Tubesock Shakur; 12-14-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Agreed with wait lists, proper training, registration, education and proper licensing.

But again, what would the rational argument ever be for allowing a concealed weapon? The only people who could conceivably have an argument for it would be air marshals in my mind, as every other corrections officer or peace officer is displaying the fact that they have a weapon by putting on a badge.
    I agree. I don't personally see a use for concealed carry beyond the reasons you cited (other than private security and body guard types), but in order to get some sane policies in place I'm willing to give a little bit in order to get a lot.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

but what group could get together a large enough voice to actually incite any kind of change? plenty of people on both sides are pro-gun so it's not strictly a partisan issue.
    If you're pro-gun, you should be for sensible regulation. That's what I'm getting at: the people who are for sensible change on both sides get drown out by those with more money, but I bet you anything we're the vast majority. I know my views on handguns fall outside of what many would consider sensible, but stronger regulation and registration isn't (or shouldn't be) a bi-partisan issue. It should be common sense.

How about the churches? They are, at least theologically, in favor of less killing. How about school teachers and parents? Or peace officers? The prison guard unions?