Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The word "gun" is almost a sacred term here. That Onion article actually hit on something with where they replaced the word "gun" with metal object that propels smaller metal objects, or whatever. It needs to be taken a bit farther.
    America suffers from the ultimate power trip and that metal object has become the tool to brandish for many. Take away their staff.

fools. all of you.
    guns are here to protect you.
    the amount of gun violence compared to violence with other tools of weaponry is insignificant.
    it is absolutely miniscule if you compare it to tobacco or automobiles, both of which are just tools.

a gun is a strange kind of tool, intended for protection, however can be used for destruction.
    if you limit the availability of this tool, only those who wish destruction upon others will have them.
    these people are insane criminals, and you have to realize no matter what laws we enforce these insane criminals will not follow them, THEY ARE CRIMINALS.

this is the protection argument. now yes legally there should be some requirement to legally own them (background check) blah blah blah... you just have to realize the more requirements you have the harder it is for sane and legal citizens, who wish to do nothing but protect, to obtain their tools(guns).

there is a much more sound and irrefutable argument though.
    and that is the possibility of tyranny. if you refute this argument by saying that it is an impossibility (most do), then you haven't studied history. you also haven't thought about this scenario, the one we are headed down mind you...

gun control is implemented
    2nd amendment repealed
    guns banned for citizens
    20 years pass, administrations change, laws stay relative
    a congress who works together for their own personal benefits is unwittingly voted in. (extremely plausible we are almost there now)
    basically at this point your fucked and cant defend yourself.

all you have to do is research the sweeds gun program.
    they issue every household an assault riffle, they issue every man given a riffle training, they have the lowest gun violence statistics in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    eh, youre the one in a public place reading a music festival forum thread about ganja. Expect some titties.

Quote Originally Posted by the walrus View Post
    fools. all of you.
    guns are here to protect you.
    the amount of gun violence compared to violence with other tools of weaponry is insignificant.
    it is absolutely miniscule if you compare it to tobacco or automobiles, both of which are just tools.

a gun is a strange kind of tool, intended for protection, however can be used for destruction.
    if you limit the availability of this tool, only those who wish destruction upon others will have them.
    these people are insane criminals, and you have to realize no matter what laws we enforce these insane criminals will not follow them, THEY ARE CRIMINALS.

this is the protection argument. now yes legally there should be some requirement to legally own them (background check) blah blah blah... you just have to realize the more requirements you have the harder it is for sane and legal citizens, who wish to do nothing but protect, to obtain their tools(guns).

there is a much more sound and irrefutable argument though.
    and that is the possibility of tyranny. if you refute this argument by saying that it is an impossibility (most do), then you haven't studied history. you also haven't thought about this scenario, the one we are headed down mind you...

gun control is implemented
    2nd amendment repealed
    guns banned for citizens
    20 years pass, administrations change, laws stay relative
    a congress who works together for their own personal benefits is unwittingly voted in. (extremely plausible we are almost there now)
    basically at this point your fucked and cant defend yourself.

all you have to do is research the sweeds gun program.
    they issue every household an assault riffle, they issue every man given a riffle training, they have the lowest gun violence statistics in the world.

PRAISE JESUS
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I suggest you go shoot people who are working toward that inevitable course of events you describe.

the sweeds
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

VigoTheCarpathian

SD, do very many NYC cabbies pack heat?

If I lived in NYC, I wouldn't ever be on this fucking board.

VigoTheCarpathian

Because if you can make it there...

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

god nothing makes me as giddy as when people swear not to talk about something and then do.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

VigoTheCarpathian

Jak say something interesting. Ok ok people who murder other people are crazy. Thanks for the tip. What else you got?

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The point was cognitive dissonance. That people will engage in inherently riskier activities believing them to be safer, while believing at their core that statistically safer activities are actually more dangerous.
    Although for some the issue may not be cognitive dissonance, but perhaps an inability comprehend figures large enough to represent the real odds. Or they have fantasies of being in complete control of all potential scenarios. ya know. idiots.

Thus: regardless of how many stats pile up suggesting that more guns is correlated with more violence, they insist that the answer to violence is more guns.
    Is jack defending the benighted or proving his own insolence? The problem is that he doesn't understand the difference
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 12-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Coachella Junkie

the walrus is totally going to go shoot an F-35 in the face. For freedom.

I think the walrus has a valid point. There might come a time, soon, when we have a government that taxes the poor to pay the rich; that starts wars for made up reasons; that tortures prisoners and spies on its citizens; and all the while leaves the country undefended from attack. It may seem far-fetched, but really it could happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

It would be a lot easier to defend the usefulness of high-powered assault rifles if every once in a while somebody took one and shot up a KKK rally or the Westboro Baptist Church or something. Where the fuck are all the rational homicidal maniacs?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

F-35s don't kill people, people do. The 101st Airborne doesn't kill people, people do.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Bare hands don't kill people, people kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think the walrus has a valid point. There might come a time, soon, when we have a government that taxes the poor to pay the rich; that starts wars for made up reasons; that tortures prisoners and spies on its citizens; and all the while leaves the country undefended from attack. It may seem far-fetched, but really it could happen.
    So. Fucking. Awesome. Lolololololol!!!!!
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

*random find*

in the 2010 carlsbad school shooting, the shooter was found to be legally sane. good thing he only wounded people or he might have been insane under the law of jackstraw™

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1354178.html
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Isn't that the plot for season 1 to homeland?

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    *random find*

in the 2010 carlsbad school shooting, the shooter was found to be legally sane. good thing he only wounded people or he might have been insane under the law of jackstraw™

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1354178.html
    Legally sane and mentally ill are two different things. Legally sane and insanity in the sense they would refer to here are legal terms of art. Insanity refers to the fact that, due to a mental disease or defect, the person cannot understand the wrongness of his/her actions or cannot conform his/her actions to the law. It's a high bar to get over, as it requires a person to have such a substantive break that they truly cannot control what they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Legally sane and mentally ill are two different things. Legally sane and insanity in the sense they would refer to here are legal terms of art. Insanity refers to the fact that, due to a mental disease or defect, the person cannot understand the wrongness of his/her actions or cannot conform his/her actions to the law. It's a high bar to get over, as it requires a person to have such a substantive break that they truly cannot control what they are doing.
    Werd. In this case, the individual is reported to have mental illness and delusions, contributing to his actions.

Yes, mental illness can be a factor. It just doesn't have to be.

Help me here, I value others' perspectives. Is there really a whole segment of the population unable to think in any terms other than glib soundbites? I mean, do we have a subnation of Neighborhood Creeps, whose reasoning ability and debating skills are more akin to a middle school playground than anything resembling thoughtful dialogue? Do these people never question their own assumptions, think through a full set of facts, attempt to understand the role of the subconscious? Is this how propaganda works? Is this why Republicans keep voting to cut education funding?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

This is 'Merica, Jack. Love it, or get the fuck out!

Quote Originally Posted by saranater View Post
    Werd. In this case, the individual is reported to have mental illness and delusions, contributing to his actions.

Yes, mental illness can be a factor. It just doesn't have to be.
    Genuinely honest question: Do you believe in souls?

I'm not leading you with that question. I'm honestly trying to figure out what you're talking about without making assumptions.

Yeah, I don't see how that follows from what I posted at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The murder capital where we murder for capital

bmack always wins, props to you yesterday too on your response about gang members and ptsd as well. I didn't say as much yesterday while me and jack were going back and frorth.

Help me here, I value others' perspectives. Is there really a whole segment of the population unable to think in any terms other than glib soundbites? I mean, do we have a subnation of Neighborhood Creeps, whose reasoning ability and debating skills are more akin to a middle school playground than anything resembling thoughtful dialogue? Do these people never question their own assumptions, think through a full set of facts, attempt to understand the role of the subconscious? Is this how propaganda works? Is this why Republicans keep voting to cut education funding?
    Yes. Genuinely, people don't know how to think critically or engage in thoughtful dialogue any more.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

what are you using as your benchmark?

late 18th century French salon society. duh.