Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 724

Thread: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

  1. #421
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,491

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The word "gun" is almost a sacred term here. That Onion article actually hit on something with where they replaced the word "gun" with metal object that propels smaller metal objects, or whatever. It needs to be taken a bit farther.
    America suffers from the ultimate power trip and that metal object has become the tool to brandish for many. Take away their staff.

  2. #422

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    fools. all of you.
    guns are here to protect you.
    the amount of gun violence compared to violence with other tools of weaponry is insignificant.
    it is absolutely miniscule if you compare it to tobacco or automobiles, both of which are just tools.

    a gun is a strange kind of tool, intended for protection, however can be used for destruction.
    if you limit the availability of this tool, only those who wish destruction upon others will have them.
    these people are insane criminals, and you have to realize no matter what laws we enforce these insane criminals will not follow them, THEY ARE CRIMINALS.

    this is the protection argument. now yes legally there should be some requirement to legally own them (background check) blah blah blah... you just have to realize the more requirements you have the harder it is for sane and legal citizens, who wish to do nothing but protect, to obtain their tools(guns).

    there is a much more sound and irrefutable argument though.
    and that is the possibility of tyranny. if you refute this argument by saying that it is an impossibility (most do), then you haven't studied history. you also haven't thought about this scenario, the one we are headed down mind you...

    gun control is implemented
    2nd amendment repealed
    guns banned for citizens
    20 years pass, administrations change, laws stay relative
    a congress who works together for their own personal benefits is unwittingly voted in. (extremely plausible we are almost there now)
    basically at this point your fucked and cant defend yourself.


    all you have to do is research the sweeds gun program.
    they issue every household an assault riffle, they issue every man given a riffle training, they have the lowest gun violence statistics in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    eh, youre the one in a public place reading a music festival forum thread about ganja. Expect some titties.

  3. #423
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,088

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by the walrus View Post
    fools. all of you.
    guns are here to protect you.
    the amount of gun violence compared to violence with other tools of weaponry is insignificant.
    it is absolutely miniscule if you compare it to tobacco or automobiles, both of which are just tools.

    a gun is a strange kind of tool, intended for protection, however can be used for destruction.
    if you limit the availability of this tool, only those who wish destruction upon others will have them.
    these people are insane criminals, and you have to realize no matter what laws we enforce these insane criminals will not follow them, THEY ARE CRIMINALS.

    this is the protection argument. now yes legally there should be some requirement to legally own them (background check) blah blah blah... you just have to realize the more requirements you have the harder it is for sane and legal citizens, who wish to do nothing but protect, to obtain their tools(guns).

    there is a much more sound and irrefutable argument though.
    and that is the possibility of tyranny. if you refute this argument by saying that it is an impossibility (most do), then you haven't studied history. you also haven't thought about this scenario, the one we are headed down mind you...

    gun control is implemented
    2nd amendment repealed
    guns banned for citizens
    20 years pass, administrations change, laws stay relative
    a congress who works together for their own personal benefits is unwittingly voted in. (extremely plausible we are almost there now)
    basically at this point your fucked and cant defend yourself.


    all you have to do is research the sweeds gun program.
    they issue every household an assault riffle, they issue every man given a riffle training, they have the lowest gun violence statistics in the world.


    PRAISE JESUS
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  4. #424
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,429

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    I suggest you go shoot people who are working toward that inevitable course of events you describe.

  5. #425
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,145

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    the sweeds
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  6. #426
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    SD, do very many NYC cabbies pack heat?

  7. #427
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,145

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    If I lived in NYC, I wouldn't ever be on this fucking board.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  8. #428
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Because if you can make it there...

  9. #429
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,550

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    god nothing makes me as giddy as when people swear not to talk about something and then do.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  10. #430
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Jak say something interesting. Ok ok people who murder other people are crazy. Thanks for the tip. What else you got?

  11. #431
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The point was cognitive dissonance. That people will engage in inherently riskier activities believing them to be safer, while believing at their core that statistically safer activities are actually more dangerous.
    Although for some the issue may not be cognitive dissonance, but perhaps an inability comprehend figures large enough to represent the real odds. Or they have fantasies of being in complete control of all potential scenarios. ya know. idiots.

    Thus: regardless of how many stats pile up suggesting that more guns is correlated with more violence, they insist that the answer to violence is more guns.
    Is jack defending the benighted or proving his own insolence? The problem is that he doesn't understand the difference
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 12-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.

  12. #432
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    the walrus is totally going to go shoot an F-35 in the face. For freedom.

  13. #433
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,979

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    I think the walrus has a valid point. There might come a time, soon, when we have a government that taxes the poor to pay the rich; that starts wars for made up reasons; that tortures prisoners and spies on its citizens; and all the while leaves the country undefended from attack. It may seem far-fetched, but really it could happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  14. #434
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    It would be a lot easier to defend the usefulness of high-powered assault rifles if every once in a while somebody took one and shot up a KKK rally or the Westboro Baptist Church or something. Where the fuck are all the rational homicidal maniacs?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  15. #435
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mission
    Posts
    12,048

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    F-35s don't kill people, people do. The 101st Airborne doesn't kill people, people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

  16. #436
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,145

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Bare hands don't kill people, people kill people.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  17. #437
    old school westcoastpirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Took
    Posts
    3,010

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think the walrus has a valid point. There might come a time, soon, when we have a government that taxes the poor to pay the rich; that starts wars for made up reasons; that tortures prisoners and spies on its citizens; and all the while leaves the country undefended from attack. It may seem far-fetched, but really it could happen.
    So. Fucking. Awesome. Lolololololol!!!!!
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

  18. #438
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,550

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    *random find*

    in the 2010 carlsbad school shooting, the shooter was found to be legally sane. good thing he only wounded people or he might have been insane under the law of jackstraw™

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1354178.html
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  19. #439
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,666

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think the walrus has a valid point. There might come a time, soon, when we have a government that taxes the poor to pay the rich; that starts wars for made up reasons; that tortures prisoners and spies on its citizens; and all the while leaves the country undefended from attack. It may seem far-fetched, but really it could happen.
    Isn't that the plot for season 1 to homeland?

  20. #440
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Duluth Minnesota
    Posts
    8,579

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence






    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

  21. #441
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,311

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    *random find*

    in the 2010 carlsbad school shooting, the shooter was found to be legally sane. good thing he only wounded people or he might have been insane under the law of jackstraw™

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1354178.html
    Legally sane and mentally ill are two different things. Legally sane and insanity in the sense they would refer to here are legal terms of art. Insanity refers to the fact that, due to a mental disease or defect, the person cannot understand the wrongness of his/her actions or cannot conform his/her actions to the law. It's a high bar to get over, as it requires a person to have such a substantive break that they truly cannot control what they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  22. #442
    Member saranater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Legally sane and mentally ill are two different things. Legally sane and insanity in the sense they would refer to here are legal terms of art. Insanity refers to the fact that, due to a mental disease or defect, the person cannot understand the wrongness of his/her actions or cannot conform his/her actions to the law. It's a high bar to get over, as it requires a person to have such a substantive break that they truly cannot control what they are doing.
    Werd. In this case, the individual is reported to have mental illness and delusions, contributing to his actions.

    Yes, mental illness can be a factor. It just doesn't have to be.

  23. #443
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,979

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Help me here, I value others' perspectives. Is there really a whole segment of the population unable to think in any terms other than glib soundbites? I mean, do we have a subnation of Neighborhood Creeps, whose reasoning ability and debating skills are more akin to a middle school playground than anything resembling thoughtful dialogue? Do these people never question their own assumptions, think through a full set of facts, attempt to understand the role of the subconscious? Is this how propaganda works? Is this why Republicans keep voting to cut education funding?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  24. #444
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,553

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    This is 'Merica, Jack. Love it, or get the fuck out!

  25. #445
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,429

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by saranater View Post
    Werd. In this case, the individual is reported to have mental illness and delusions, contributing to his actions.

    Yes, mental illness can be a factor. It just doesn't have to be.
    Genuinely honest question: Do you believe in souls?

    I'm not leading you with that question. I'm honestly trying to figure out what you're talking about without making assumptions.

  26. #446
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,311

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Yeah, I don't see how that follows from what I posted at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  27. #447
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    bmack always wins, props to you yesterday too on your response about gang members and ptsd as well. I didn't say as much yesterday while me and jack were going back and frorth.

  28. #448
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,439

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Help me here, I value others' perspectives. Is there really a whole segment of the population unable to think in any terms other than glib soundbites? I mean, do we have a subnation of Neighborhood Creeps, whose reasoning ability and debating skills are more akin to a middle school playground than anything resembling thoughtful dialogue? Do these people never question their own assumptions, think through a full set of facts, attempt to understand the role of the subconscious? Is this how propaganda works? Is this why Republicans keep voting to cut education funding?
    Yes. Genuinely, people don't know how to think critically or engage in thoughtful dialogue any more.

    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

  29. #449
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,429

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    what are you using as your benchmark?

  30. #450
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,979

    Default Re: In which we discuss: Guns, Second Amendment, Weaponry, and Violence

    late 18th century French salon society. duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 248
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 12:53 PM
  2. Violence in the Campgrounds BY SECURITY
    By jirish1321 in forum Questions
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
  3. Replies: 395
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 03:57 PM
  4. violence against kroqken
    By bug on your lip in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 07:14 PM
  5. GUNS!!
    By marooko in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 261
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 11:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •