Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lance Armstrong

Default Lance Armstrong

Default Re: Lance Armstrong

I didn't know a drug agency had the dual authority of the cycling federation too.

At the end of the day it's cycling and I don't give a shit.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

You say black? I say white!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

It doesnt matter what they take away from him. Everyone in that sport was doping at the time, just like the majority of players in baseball and football were too. You can take away Reggie Bush's Heisman but it doesnt change the fact that he was the best player in the country that year. Same goes for something as meaningless as riding a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I jacked off 4 times today all before work! true story!
    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

I wonder if Iran is building a nuclear bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I didn't know a drug agency had the dual authority of the cycling federation too.
    USADA isn't going to strip him of his Tour de France titles, etc. UCI is. IOC might strip him of his Bronze metal. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda421 View Post
    It doesnt matter what they take away from him. Everyone in that sport was doping at the time, just like the majority of players in baseball and football were too. You can take away Reggie Bush's Heisman but it doesnt change the fact that he was the best player in the country that year. Same goes for something as meaningless as riding a bike.
    I disagree with this entirely. Yeah, I remember what happened and that doesn't disappear but those wins were illegitimate and they should be treated that way. Other people should have won those races. Someone else should have won that Heisman. Somebody else should have been coaching Penn State, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

But it made it more interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I disagree with this entirely. Yeah, I remember what happened and that doesn't disappear but those wins were illegitimate and they should be treated that way. Other people should have won those races. Someone else should have won that Heisman. Somebody else should have been coaching Penn State, etc.

IF everyone in the sport was doping at the time, then the other person that won would now (instead of Lance Amstrong) be in a doping scandal. I am not saying that everyone was, or that I agree with Panda, but there is a chance that the next winner would have been cheating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Someone else should have won that Heisman.
    Getting a rent-free home did absolutely nothing to boost his performance between the lines. He was the best player in NCAA football that year. He deserved the Heisman. I hate USC as much as the next guy, but I don't see how paying Bush and his family a little bit of cash gives him a competitive advantage. Sanctions? Cool. Vacate wins? Who gives a shit. Stripped of the Heisman? That's ridiculous.

Man you're dumb.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Official: U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to slap Armstrong with lifetime ban, loss of titles

By Chelsea J. Carter, CNN
    updated 7:21 AM EDT, Fri August 24, 2012

(CNN) -- The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said early Friday it will strip Lance Armstrong of his seven Tour de France titles and impose a lifetime ban, a move that came just hours after the cyclist announced he would no longer fight charges of illegal doping.

A formal announcement by the USADA is expected later in the day, "but his choosing not to contest the charges means that there will be a lifetime ban and a loss of all results beginning from August 1, 1998," agency spokeswoman Annie Skinner told CNN in an emailed statement.

Even so, there is a question about whether the USADA -- a quasi-government agency recognized as the official anti-doping agency for Olympic, Pan American and Paralympic sports in the United States -- has the authority to take action against Armstrong.

Legacy at stake: Lance Armstrong's legal fight against doping charges

The International Cycling Federation, whom Armstrong has said should be the arbiter in his case, has opposed the American agency's actions by claiming it has jurisdiction. That position has been recently backed by USA Cycling, the official cycling organization recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee.

The USADA's action followed news late Thursday that Armstrong was calling it quits in his battle to end an investigation by the USADA.

Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong has denied numerous accusations of doping over the years. Look back at his record-setting career.

Armstrong, 17, competes in the Jeep Triathlon Grand Prix in 1988. He became a professional tri-athlete at age 16 and joined the U.S. National Cycling Team two years later.

In 1995, Armstrong wins the 18th stage of the Tour de France. He finished 36th overall and finished the race for the first time that year.

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now," Armstrong said in a written statement.

The USADA has accused Armstrong of using, possessing, trafficking and giving to others performance-enhancing drugs, as well as covering up doping violations.

Armstrong, who has long denied allegations of illegal doping, made his announcement after losing a legal bid Monday to halt the anti-doping agency's legal case against him, which came more than a year after his retirement from cycling and subsequent move to triathlon competitions.

The 40-year-old, who fought back from testicular cancer to win cycling's biggest race from 1999 to 2005, has described himself as the "most tested athlete in the world." He retired twice from cycling -- first in 2005, for four years, and again in 2011.

Armstrong has never been convicted of any doping charges.

The USADA alleges he took steroids throughout his career, saying it has testimony from former teammates to support the charges. It has refused to reveal who provided the evidence.

Although USADA officials had not seen Armstrong's statement late Thursday, its chief executive called it "a sad day for all of us who love sport and our athletic heroes."

"This is a heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all costs culture of sport, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition, but for clean athletes, it is a reassuring reminder that there is hope for future generations to compete on a level playing field without the use of performance-enhancing drugs," CEO Travis T. Tygart said in a statement.

This is a heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all costs culture of sport, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition
    Travis T. Tygart, U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO

Armstrong called Tygart's investigation an "unconstitutional witch hunt."

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today -- finished with this nonsense," he said.

If found guilty by the USADA, Armstrong faced a lifetime ban from all sports covered by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

"Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances," Armstrong said Thursday.

"I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities."

Armstrong has been dogged by doping allegations in recent years, with compatriot Floyd Landis -- who was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title after failing a drug test -- making a series of claims last year.

Armstrong came out fighting in May 2011, in the face of fresh allegations made on CBS News' "60 Minutes" show by another American, Tyler Hamilton. In the CBS interview, Hamilton -- who retired in 2009 after twice testing positive himself and who, earlier this month, was stripped of his 2004 gold medal by the International Olympic Committee due to doping -- said he first saw Armstrong use EPO in 1999.

EPO, or erythropoietin, boosts the number of red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the muscles.

Armstrong has said in court documents that he has never had "a single positive test" in the 500 to 600 drug tests he's taken in his more than two decades in cycling.

"From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation," Armstrong said in Thursday's statement.

In February, Justice Department prosecutors said they closed a criminal investigation after reviewing allegations against Armstrong. They had called witnesses to a federal grand jury in Los Angeles, but apparently determined they lacked evidence to bring a charge that Armstrong used performance-enhancing drugs.

In a June letter to Armstrong, a copy of which was obtained by CNN, the USADA said it collected blood samples from Armstrong in 2009 and 2010 that were "fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions."

Armstrong sued the USADA to stop the investigation, arguing it did not have the right to prosecute him.

But a federal judge on Monday dismissed Armstrong's lawsuit after ruling the court did not have jurisdiction.

U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks acknowledged "the appearance of a conflict on the part of both organizations creates doubt the charges against Armstrong would receive fair consideration in either forum." But that doesn't mean federal courts should intervene, the judge said, adding "these matters should be resolved internally, by the parties most affected."

"If these bodies wish to damage the image of their sport through bitter infighting, they will have to do so without the involvement of the United States courts," Sparks said.

Quote Originally Posted by Davids81 View Post
    Getting a rent-free home did absolutely nothing to boost his performance between the lines. He was the best player in NCAA football that year. He deserved the Heisman. I hate USC as much as the next guy, but I don't see how paying Bush and his family a little bit of cash gives him a competitive advantage.
    Tell that to the football players that have to try and maintain a job with their game, practice, workout and class schedule.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

so glad to hear my hate for those livestrong bracelets were founded. kinda like when everyone realized tom cruise was gay. VINDICATION
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Im convinced everyone in pro sports in the late 90's were doping. Its was the era for anabolic steroids.

Classy.

Now Lance Armstrong has been stripped of his seven consecutive Tour de France titles, thanks to the persistent doping allegations against him. It's a sad day for the sport, but at least it vindicates all of the clean-riding cyclists who finished behind Armstrong. Right? So here are the runners-up who stand to inherit the yellow jerseys from the disgraced champ:

1999: Alex Zülle (confessed to EPO use)
    2000: Jan Ullrich (suspended from 2006 Tour; banned this year and stripped of all results from 2005 on)
    2001: Jan Ullrich
    2002: Joseba Beloki (kept out of 2006 Tour while under doping investigation, later cleared)
    2003: Jan Ullrich
    2004: Andreas Klöden (accused of illegal blood transfusion in the 2006 Tour)
    2005: Ivan Basso (confessed to attempted doping, suspended)

So everyone who actually tested positive, won the tour de france in those years? Riiiiiiiight

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    So everyone who actually tested positive, won the tour de france in those years?
    Your understanding of logic and/or sentence structure is amazing.

Now Lance Armstrong has been stripped of his seven consecutive Tour de France titles, thanks to the persistent doping allegations against him. It's a sad day for the sport, but at least it vindicates all of the clean-riding cyclists who finished behind Armstrong. Right? So here are the runners-up who stand to inherit the yellow jerseys from the disgraced champ:

1999: Alex Zülle (confessed to EPO use)
    2000: Jan Ullrich (suspended from 2006 Tour; banned this year and stripped of all results from 2005 on)
    2001: Jan Ullrich
    2002: Joseba Beloki (kept out of 2006 Tour while under doping investigation, later cleared)
    2003: Jan Ullrich
    2004: Andreas Klöden (accused of illegal blood transfusion in the 2006 Tour)
    2005: Ivan Basso (confessed to attempted doping, suspended)

^ An unfortunate truth. I certainly wish they'd all ride clean, because every win by anyone has seemed so supect for so long now. But I am surprised Armstrong's thrown in the towel (unless he intends to try a different legal tack). Armstrong may be a prick, and I've no doubt he was doping along with everyone else, but he was still the best cyclist/doper of them all.

We have a running joke in our household about how Lance is precisely three times faster than my husband. He rode a pro-am race many years ago on the tramway road in Palm Springs with two young buddies, one of whom was an Olympic cyclist, the other a nationally ranked century rider. (1litro is certainly no slouch on a road bike either, though mountain biking is his thing.) This was in the early 90's and I don't remember if it was pre- or post-cancer, but Lance was a young guy. In the time it took the three of them to make one complete circuit up and down the tram road, Lance had done it three times, acknowledging them each time he passed. Which was both funny and slightly embarrassing, I guess. The guy was good, there is no denying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

1. Lance Armstrong
    2. Alex Zülle (‘98 busted for EPO)
    3. Fernando Escartín (Systematic team doping exposed in ‘04)
    4. Laurent Dufaux (‘98 busted for EPO)
    5. Ángel Casero (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)

1. Lance Armstrong
    2. Jan Ullrich (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    3. Joseba Beloki (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    4. Christophe Moraue (‘98 busted for EPO)
    5. Roberto Heras (‘05 busted for EPO)

1. Lance Armstrong
    3. Joseba Beloki (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    4. Andrei Kivilev
    5. Igor González de Galdeano (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)

1. Lance Armstrong
    2. Joseba Beloki (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    3. Raimondas Rumšas (Suspended in ‘03 for doping)
    4. Santiago Botero (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    5. Igor González de Galdeano (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)

1. Lance Armstrong
    3. Alexander Vinokourov (Suspended in ‘07 for CERA)
    4. Tyler Hamilton (Suspended ‘04 for blood doping)
    5. Haimar Zubeldia

1. Lance Armstrong
    2. Andreas Kloden (Named in doping case in ‘08)
    3. Ivan Basso (Suspended in ‘07 for Operacion Puerto ties)
    4. Jan Ullrich (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    5. Jose Azevedo (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)

1. Lance Armstrong
    2. Ivan Basso (Suspended in ‘07 for Operacion Puerto ties)
    3. Jan Ullrich (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    4. Fransico Mancebo (‘06 implicated in Operacion Puerto)
    5. Alexander Vinokourov (Suspended in ‘07 for CERA)

from here

So I guess that's been the strongest basis of the allegations all these years. If he beat all these people who were apparently doping, he couldn't have done so without doping himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Even though he passed all the same tests those who were busted took. Glad he basically told them to fuck off after all these years.

We all already know his name so whether or not he gets to compete again, he is still a household name of cycling. We all also know he has 1 ball.

old school

I was a bit starstruck by Mr. Armstrong. He was speaking at a convention I was working but nobody knew about it. I happened to show up an hour early on accident. Nobody was in the ballroom so I exited through an air wall separating two rooms. When I got to the exit door it was opening and Lance came through. I dont know if I was starstruck or caught off guard but all I could muster was a good morning. He nodded back and said good morning too. A really nice guy. He will always be the greatest cyclist to me no matter what.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

The amount of negativity put toward doping is such a joke. The only rational arguments against it is that it tarnishes the legacy of the sport in question and makes old record-setters cry, which are two weak fucking arguments IMO.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'm not sure how i feel about doping in sports, i'm certainly ok with doping in rock & roll, i just prefer people be honest and play by the rules of whatever game they're playing or fight to change the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I would let him keep all his trophies and stuff and just make him take back all his fucking wristbands.

Am I correct in understanding that the evidence against Armstrong is the proffered testimony of former teammates (including people who have previously indicated they have lied about their own history of doping) that would hypothetically be given in the event that there were some sort of formal hearing in front of the USADA -- which, if I am not mistaken, it itself a non-profit, non-governmental entity with absolutely zero power to issue subpoenas or to take sworn testimony under the pains of perjury?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

USADA claimed “the evidence against Armstrong arose from disclosures made to USADA by more than a dozen witnesses who agreed to testify and provide evidence about their first-hand experience and/or knowledge of the doping activity of those involved in,” the U.S. Postal Service team “conspiracy, as well as analytical data.”

In June, USADA informed Armstrong of its intention to launch proceedings against him, his team director and three team doctors.

Numerous witnesses provided evidence to USADA … that Armstrong used EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone during the period … and that he had previously used EPO, testosterone and hGH through 1996,” according to the USADA statement. “Witnesses also provided evidence that Lance Armstrong gave to them, encouraged them to use and administered doping products or methods, including EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone during the period from 1999 through 2005.

Additionally, scientific data showed Mr. Armstrong’s use of blood manipulation including EPO or blood transfusions during Mr. Armstrong’s comeback to cycling in the 2009 Tour de France.”