Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

I have a really hard time getting excited about new Autechre releases any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Mr. Cave has definitely made the strongest album so far.
    Agreed. My favorite of 2013 so far. I've only listened to a handful of releases though (Yo La Tengo, Palma Violets, Atoms for Peace, How to Destroy Angels are the only ones I can immediately think of.)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

$$$

Tool will release a handcrafted, bonus-laden, limited edition package of their original debut EP, Opiate, on Mar. 26 to mark the 21st anniversary of the six-song release. The anniversary edition is limited to 5,000 copies and features art direction by Adam Jones, illustrations by legendary artist Adi Granov and design packaging by Mackie Osborne, who has collaborated with TOOL on many albums including 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Salival as well as posters and merchandise.

The 5,000 copies will be broken down as 5 x 1,000 runs with each set featuring a variation of the exterior graphics and included bonus items which include a new stereoscopic image for fans to use with their glasses from the 10,000 Days packaging.

The packages will only be available via TOOL's website on Mar. 26 and there will be no pre-orders. A limit of three packages from each of the 5 x 1,000 versions will be in place. More details to be announced soon.

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

AKA we don't give a shit about writing new music, but we're very okay with charging our fans a ton of money to get the same few songs over and over. Record edition, rather than concert edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I love the new records from Pissed Jeans and Iceage (better than their debut). I like what I have heard from mbv too. Still need to get my hands on the Yo La Tengo.

I have heard only a few songs from the new Nick Cave album and honestly I didn't care much for them. I want more Grinderman, dammit.

"Trying to Be Cool" -> "Bankrupt!" was everything I was hoping for out of this Phoenix album. Right on, man. I want it to be summertime, now.

I'll give it some more spins before giving my ultimate verdict (excitement can always overcome judgment), but I love this so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

If the first Youth Lagoon album was the sleepy tranquil thoughts of Trevor Powers, then Wondrous Bughouse is the vivid dreamscape. Improving on the ideas he presented in the first album, making very fleshed out songs and a more concise album. Loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I haven't yet listened to Atoms for Peace or the Flaming Lips or Youth Lagoon or a few other hyped releases. Nick Cave's new one is good, but didn't do nearly as much for me as it has for y'all. The Men's new one, New Moon, on the other hand. Fuck yes. It's odd that only about two years ago they were blasting out hardcore punk songs with the level of melodic development and clean playing they express here. Open Your Heart definitely sounds more like a bridge album now that this one is out there: it's not until the 7th song that you hit anything that would have fit on the last releases. Rather than just switching up their old sound though, it sounds like they've really grown into their more classic rock shoes here, as the songs are solid as hell and the performances are great. So happy to hear something this good this early in the year.
    This. I can confidently say that The Men and Titus Andronicus are the best things to happen to rock music in a while.

EDIT: And No Age as well

DOUBLE EDIT: That guitar shreddin' towards the end on I Saw Her Face and on Supermoon... so awesome!
    Last edited by FEELS; 02-26-2013 at 06:33 AM.

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

Can't wait to listen to the new Youth Lagoon as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    "Trying to Be Cool" -> "Bankrupt!" was everything I was hoping for out of this Phoenix album. Right on, man. I want it to be summertime, now.

I'll give it some more spins before giving my ultimate verdict (excitement can always overcome judgment), but I love this so far.
    Funny, when I heard "Trying to be Cool" I texted my boyfriend and said, "Track 4! That's the Phoenix I love." but I have to say that Chloroform is probably the track I liked best from the album. Just like you though, I'll have to give it some time before I make any major judgements.
    Last edited by casey; 02-26-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

The new Johnny Marr album is pretty awesome. I mean, ok, I don't like the first half at all (except "European Me") but from "Generate! Generate!" on it's a series of really great feel-good anthems. Also, I saw people were complaining about his vocals, but he actually reminds me somewhat of Bernie from New Order in that regard.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

HELL's III is blistering, post-rock-influenced black metal. The album is two tracks, one 18 minutes and the other 19 minutes long, and is a crushing sonic journey. Good stuff.

And right now i am listening to Marc Romboy and Ken Ishii's Taiyo, and holy hell this is good stuff! Very good tech house.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

That album is so badass
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

I'm sure it will be derided as Sonic Youth lite by some, but the Chelsea Light Moving album is really fucking good. There are a few mediocre tunes here and there, but most of it gets a big thumbs up. A good amount of noisy parts, and others that sound like what might have been had SY followed up The Eternal.

Just bought a ticket to the Echoplex show.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'll second the praise for that album. Looking forward to my second run through.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Shlohmo's new EP Laid Out is a sexy strut from start to finish. The How To Dress Well feature on the opening track ends up being the weakest link. 3rd track Later carries the most heft but the whole EP is solid. Certainly worth a listen

New Moon is a great record, but this is not The Men you've been looking for. Going to need to make a big adjustment in my head for further listens.

I love the range these guys have. On my first listen right now. Enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    New Moon is a great record, but this is not The Men you've been looking for. Going to need to make a big adjustment in my head for further listens.
    Really? It's only the first half that has some new sounds. And not necessarily new since Country Song and Candy from Open Your Heart previewed this.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I feel like Leave Home is the real outlier in the their discography of full length albums, really. it's the only one with a fully consistent sound from front to back. i liked the new upon first listen.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I love the range these guys have. On my first listen right now. Enjoying it IMMENSELY
    fixed

Leave Home felt like a transitional record to me, like their New Day Rising as compared to New Moon, their Flip Your Wig. It burned out some of their more rowdy instincts and allowed them to use New Moon to fully attack their melodic sensibilities.

New Moon is their best release in my mind after four listens, and possibly my favorite thing thus far this year outside of m b v. I just feel bad for both bands: Deerhunter is putting out a new album this year, and if everything Bradford has done since 2007 indicates, this will be a doozy.

So...was I the only one thoroughly bored by the entire Phoenix album? Seriously every song sounded like a bland rip off of everything from WAP

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

"Supermoon" is sooooooo beastly. I can't wait to listen to this New Moon record again. Damn. That's definitely up there for this year.

Nick Cave and MBV still seem to hold the top spots. Foals, Marvelous Mag, Underachievers, Autre Ne Veut, Blue Hawaii coming close behind.

But really tho, new singles have been blowing my mind early in 2013. The Knife (obviously) JT's two singles, James Blake's, FUCKING PRINCE, Juicy J's with the Weeknd, Ab-Soul with JMSN, Factory Floor, Bonobo, Disclosure with AlunaGeorge, Dahlia Black's "Fuck a Rap Song".

Did I mention FUCKING PRINCE. Those songs are blowing my skull apart. Please release an album. 2013 is shaping up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemz View Post
    Shlohmo's new EP Laid Out is a sexy strut from start to finish. The How To Dress Well feature on the opening track ends up being the weakest link. 3rd track Later carries the most heft but the whole EP is solid. Certainly worth a listen
    I'm also playing the fuck out of this EP. Shlohmo is so good

Where are you hearing the entire Phoenix album? I'm bored and it sounds like good filler...
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.
    April 26 - Black Sabbath - Hollywood Bowl
    June 27 - Fuck Buttons - the Independent
    July 11 - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Shrine Auditorium

loving lots of stuff right now. Atlas Genius, Atoms for Peace, Foals, Palma Violets, Youth Lagoon and Phoenix recently

Not enough talk about Opposites by Biffy Clyro. The album is rock at it's finest captivating all kinds of emotions and different dynamics. They truly demonstrate how to be a hardcore rock band and a softer rock band with some enchanting tales. The violin always adds a that fine coating. I wouldn't jump into it though if you haven't heard some of their other stuff first.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

I refuse to listen to them until they get a less horrible name.

Fair reason imo because I agree the name sucks, but still so many Americans are missing out The only reason I discovered them was because in late 2009 I searched best British bands Americans probably haven't heard of. They frequently popped up.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona