Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Since not even the preview for whatever this is will load for me, anyone care to say what it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I think he might have been missing a character in the Youtube code.
    youtube is down at the moment

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    youtube is down at the moment
    Thanks for still not answering the question.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Thanks for still not answering the question.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

God damn that Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe is sexy as fuck! like Maxwell sexy!
    Papi Piratón!

Pitchfork reviewed this EP by Fins and it sounded interesting, so I went to their bandcamp and checked it out. It's a cool little record, very reminiscent of the Milk Music EP that so floored me a few years ago. Dirty guitar tones, lots of yelling and good, compact songs. There's nothing particularly innovative about it, but who gives a shit when the songs are entertaining?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Well, Wooden Shjips's Back to Landis a great psychedelic rock album.I would recommend a listen.
    Agreed. It's giving me way more of a 60's vibe than some of the other psych bands that are out today. I'll be surprised if they're not at APF this year.

I've been really digging this new Circuit Des Yeux album Overdue, the first four songs of which you can stream here. It reminds be a lot of Nico's solo stuff, but it's also worth a listen for those who enjoyed the Julia Holter, Chelsea Wolfe, and/or Julianna Barwick albums from this year. Really nice for a rainy day like today, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Free Time - Free Time (Underwater Peoples Records will be enjoyable for fans of lackadaisical, free spirited jangle jams akin to Real Estate.

And yeah, really digging the new Wooden Shjips.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    really digging the new Wooden Shjips.
    fuck yes! thanks, board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Still whittling down my yearly listening, came across three albums that have stood out a bit:

Comanechi - You Owe Me Nothing But Love: Particularly raucous and hooky garage/punk/indie jams with female vocals. Slight shades of riot grrrl and L7 with a bit more sugar in the melodies, it's not the most original thing out there and isn't essential listening by half, but if you like this kind of thing, it's an absolute blast and a couple of the songs really stick. Love Is The Cure

Dinos Chapman - Luftbobler: Apparently this guy is a controversial visual artist who often works with his brother, but this is his debut music release. It's mostly just IDM leaning electronic music sketches with a playful side. It's kind of bedroom knob twiddling stuff, but with that naive charm and surprising novelty that comes from an outsider's perspective. Nothing feels fully formed, but just about every track has some compelling element that makes them feel like a fascinating little sonic contraption to marvel over. It's "experimental" electronic dance music that is fun, accessible, and endearingly slight.

The Icarus Line - Slave Vows: One of those "hey, maybe rock isn't dead after all" kind of albums. These guys have been around for awhile and I'm only passingly familiar with them, but this album is a beast. Nasty noise rock bluster, hypnotic motorik grooves, skeezy garage rock abandon, slow burn tension that explodes into a wall of feedback, a healthy dosing of Raw Power adoration. It's well worn territory, but this kind of sexy, dirty, dangerous rawk doesn't go out of style. The longest track is the opener at 11 minutes, which is all psych rock build up with no release, and the shortest is just under 2 minutes and sounds like a noise rock version of something off Suicide's second album.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I need to listen to that Icarus Line album. I used to love those guys so much and then they put out one or two crappy albums and I kind of gave up. Everything I've read suggests this is their best one since Penance Soiree.

I'm recommending Logos - Cold Mission to anyone who is a fan of how James Blake explored the negative space in dubstep, because there is a lot of that going on here, but in the grime/jungle genre. There's a TON of negative/silent space explored here, strange, ambient beats.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I'm recommending Logos - Cold Mission to anyone who is a fan of how James Blake explored the negative space in dubstep, because there is a lot of that going on here, but in the grime/jungle genre. There's a TON of negative/silent space explored here, strange, ambient beats.
    Thanks Guedita.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

And yeah, really digging the new Wooden Shjips.
    The new Wooden Shjips is great, but definitely different than their past material. For this one it's like they turned down the fuzz and turned up the Suicide. The singer has always had an Alan Vega swagger to his delivery, it's just usually buried beneath the hazey guitars and isn't as noticeable. These new songs are also a good bit faster than their old stuff.

Gave Akkord - Akkord a couple of listens and really think this may be my favorite of the recent slew of intricately produced bass, grime, jungle, techno revival album releases from the UK this year. Akkord is closer to the sounds of Livity Sound than the jungle led beats of Special Request (Akkord is also released on Houndstooth) but in my opinion has a better flow as an album and is more influenced by industrial techno sounds. Starts off dark and bass heavy before getting into the more techno influenced tracks while still keeping the UK sound, or at least their take on it. Definitely should listen on good speakers or headphones. As mentioned before, this UK revival seems to be the new flavor in dance music right now and I was skeptical in how genuine the music would be but I've been impressed so far with the recent releases and their ability to bring something different to the table. A good way to cap the year.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 11-29-2013 at 06:29 AM.

^ You need to be posting more in this thread; thanks for the rec.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    God damn, indeed.

Mish Way (lead singer of White Lung) wrote a funny review on The Talkhouse

"Cupid Deluxe is a big, fluffy piece of rainbow angel food cake that you can't stop yourself from biting into."

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Sandwich View Post
    God damn, indeed.
    I was actually gonna post in this thread about this album. It's good on so many levels. The track that hits me still: "it is what it is"
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

I love how the final track on that Blood Orange album is essentially a combination of "It Is What It Is" and "Champagne Coast" off his previous album.

I'm gonna mention it out here rather than the metal thread because how good it is: Oranssi Pazuzu's album Valonielu is another of those great, nominally metal albums released this year that could connect with a larger audience. They work in a weird mix between krautrock, pysch and black metal, with some great instrumental work, lots of repetition and necro vocals blending to create a unique and entrancing whole. I haven't heard any of their previous work, but this album is a pretty great statement of intent from a band with a unique sound. I think Tallguy would love the shit outta this.

Heatsick's Re-Engineering, which is streaming here, is another really strong entry into the PAN catalog, and is one which feels a lot more accessible compared to much of what the label has released in the past. Well worth a listen.

Those of you who enjoy Julia Holter will probably find a lot to like about Colleen - The Weighing Of The Heart. There's a similar aesthetic of classically informed, intricate yet intimate bedroom/chamber pop. It's enchanting stuff that's very easy to get comfortable with.

Also, Ras G & The Afrikan Space Program - Back On The Planet is like Sun Ra summoned via trip-hop and is mostly as awesome as that sounds.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I'm sure it's been discussed, but the Fuzz record has sort of been blowing my mind lately. I listened to it a lot when it first came out, then I took a break and lately I've been listening to it again and something about it just really clicked for me. I can't keep up with all of Ty Segall's different projects and releases but this record is easily my favorite thing he's ever done and definitely one of my absolute favorites of the year. Not sure if he's touring with this record but I can imagine it would be great in a live setting.

I need to listen to that still. Dammit Ty, slow yo roll.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Gave Akkord - Akkord a couple of listens and really think this may be my favorite of the recent slew of intricately produced bass, grime, jungle, techno revival album releases from the UK this year. Akkord is closer to the sounds of Livity Sound than the jungle led beats of Special Request (Akkord is also released on Houndstooth) but in my opinion has a better flow as an album and is more influenced by industrial techno sounds. Starts off dark and bass heavy before getting into the more techno influenced tracks while still keeping the UK sound, or at least their take on it. Definitely should listen on good speakers or headphones. As mentioned before, this UK revival seems to be the new flavor in dance music right now and I was skeptical in how genuine the music would be but I've been impressed so far with the recent releases and their ability to bring something different to the table. A good way to cap the year.
    This is so fucking good. Thanks for the rec.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    I'm sure it's been discussed, but the Fuzz record has sort of been blowing my mind lately. I listened to it a lot when it first came out, then I took a break and lately I've been listening to it again and something about it just really clicked for me. I can't keep up with all of Ty Segall's different projects and releases but this record is easily my favorite thing he's ever done and definitely one of my absolute favorites of the year. Not sure if he's touring with this record but I can imagine it would be great in a live setting.
    I absolutely adore most of his recent recorded output, and yeah this really might be his best to date.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post

Also, Ras G & The Afrikan Space Program - Back On The Planet is like Sun Ra summoned via trip-hop and is mostly as awesome as that sounds.
    This sounds exciting.

I didn't really enjoy my first listen on bEEdEEgEE SUM/ONE.It was a bit more all over the place than a Gang Gang Dance album.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    He is and it is unreal.

I didn't really enjoy my first listen on bEEdEEgEE SUM/ONE.It was a bit more all over the place than a Gang Gang Dance album.
    It had some interesting moments, but yeah, it's really all over the place and I'd much prefer a new GGD album instead.

So I'm finally getting around to putting on the Darkside album...what a fantastic late night record. Not that that should come as a surprise, but hot damn. Great stuff.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare