Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 62636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Those of you interested in mellow but moody glitch-electronica should check out KILN's meadow:watt. It's out on Ghostly International (along with Recondite's album) next week.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

That Mutual Benefit album is indeed excellent. One of the most pleasant records I've listened to in some time.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Well, Wooden Shjips's [I]Back to Land[/I is a great psychedelic rock album.I would recommend a listen.

I really need to start reading more album reviews to get the lingo for better posts for this thread.
    Last edited by getbetter; 11-10-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

In general, I find myself now unable to listen to Andrew Bird. The reason is pretty simple: I've overplayed everything he's come out with, and his material is so familiar to me that I don't have the patience to just listen. Today, though, his new EP leaked, and I'm always eager to hear new songs from him because they flip all the pleasure switches in my brain the way his old music used to.

Bird does have a habit of releasing live or instrumental EPs between proper albums that are mostly improvisations around existing or nascent melodies, and during the first song on "I Want to See Pulaski at Night", I feared more of the same. I mean, live improvisation is what I love so much about his concerts, but at the same time, it does feel a bit cheap to hear something *too* familiar being sold as something new.

Luckily this wasn't the case throughout. The next track was brand new, and floored me with its beauty, reminding me of when and why I fell in love with music in the first place (yes, music generally - not just his). The title track, "Pulaski at Night", is actually a fully developed song complete with lyrics and I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on his next proper album. The two tracks that follow - "Hover I" and "Hover II" - show off his classical sensibilities quite well, and I'm happy he's exploring this side more since he pulled it off so well on "Carrion Suite" from the second disc of Noble Beast ("Useless Creatures").

The disc closes with "Ethio Invention No 2", and like the first "Ethio Invention", we're treated to some improvisation on familiar melodies.

The EP is an enjoyable 30 or so minutes. Is it for the biggest fans only? Maybe. But it's a fun ride and worth checking out.

Apparently one of Axel Boman's friends used the phrase "weird Jamaican space disco" to describe the sort of expansive genre hopping present on Family Vacation. There's definitely all sorts of sub-genres of house at work here, but it's actually refreshing rather than disorienting. It's the type of dance music album I'd recommend to throw on when you sort of .... can't decide what you feel like jamming to but want to let loose and get breezy.

Wow, I can't believe I waited until now to listen to William Tyler. Really beautiful stuff.

I know people have been talking about Slowdive lately - has anyone else listened to Stars Are Our Home, by Black Hearted Brother? Shoegazey, noisey, electronic haze jams.

Will check those out, thanks. ^

Andy Cato's Times & Places is a strange album. A few really, really solid (I guess you could call it minimal?) tunes, but a lot that doesn't seem to gel well with the rest of the album. There are some really cheesy/even trancey elements that aren't that good. It's worth a listen, though.

8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I know people have been talking about Slowdive lately - has anyone else listened to Stars Are Our Home, by Black Hearted Brother? Shoegazey, noisey, electronic haze jams.
    Yeah, it's great. Nice to see Neil Halstead returning to his roots. And, as a side note, Slumberland has released so many fantastic albums recently. I've just been snatching them up sight unseen as soon as the label announces them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I was JUST listening to that Black Hearted Brother album for the first time a couple hours ago. Really good.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Wow, I can't believe I waited until now to listen to William Tyler. Really beautiful stuff.
    Yes. I keep forgetting to put it on, but every time I do I'm reminded how talented he is and how great the album sounds. You should check out his first one too. The song Oahspe is just spectacular. Unfortunately, it's not on youtube so I can't post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

For some reason, I develop a craving for soulful bass music as the weather becomes colder, and I'm digging iTAL tEK's latest EP, Control. He's incorporated some DnB influences into a few of the tracks on this outing, but it overall retains that deep and massive U.K. bass sound. Upon first listen, my favorite tracks are "Fireflies", "Zero", and particularly, "Violet".

New Death Grips. That's all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

New Death Grips is definitely some panic attack soundtrack shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Can we get a working link, since this is legally available for free without label concerns? When I tried earlier everything was overworked.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I've been home sick for a few days, getting a lot of reading done and trying to make a huge dent in listening to all the 2013 full length albums I've downloaded this year at least once. Here's some quick impressions of way too many albums, sorry if it's a bit indulgent but there was some good stuff that hasn't been talked about a lot on here:

Matt Berry - Kill The Wolf: at times folky, other times bar band-ish indie rock with some lush productions and solid songs, there's enough good moments to recommend it if you're into that sort of thing

Humanbeast - Venus Ejaculates Into The Banquet: melodramatic synth pop/noise hybrid that works for the most part, give it a listen if neither of those descriptors is a turn off for you

John Wizards - John Wizards: interesting lo-fi bedroom electronic pop with African influences, hard to pin down, kind of a mess, but fairly compelling.

Local Natives - Hummingbird: these guys just don't do a lot for me, they're undeniably pleasant, but everything I've ever heard by them just fades into the background as like easy listening indie rock.

Haim - Days Are Gone: this just isn't my thing at all, I can see why people like it, but it's just dull and unexciting to me.

Slava - Raw Solutions: r&b and booty bounce as filtered through warped juke and house, pretty decent for that kind of thing but I don't know how much I'll really come back to this.

Owiny Sigoma Band - Power Punch: a collaboration between some London indie types and some African musicians, this is a really cool intersection between those sounds with an electronic bent not far from that shagaan electro stuff.

HOAX - HOAX: this stuff is fucking ferocious, hardcore punk verging on metal that is just nasty and mean and brutal all the way through, and a pretty short run time so it doesn't get old

The Devil - Harbinger: a mixtape by some hip-hop producer, it's mostly just trap type shit and a bunch of standalone movie/tv samples I just don't give a fuck, at least it was over quick.

Touche Amoure - Is Survived By: I just couldn't get engaged with this, I like some post-hardcore/emo stuff, and while this seemed plenty competent, the hyper-sincerity of it all was a bit much for me to swallow

Cream Juice - Man Feelings: weirdo electronic bedroom experimentation. It's mostly pretty goofy sounding and not a lot of it is very memorable.

Mutual Benefit - Love's Crushing Diamond: this seemed nice enough, it didn't leave much of an impression on first listen, but I could see it being a grower

Heterotic - Love & Devotion: striking, intimate, lighter than air synth pop that feels barely there but is quite gorgeous.

Xander Harris - The New Dark Age Of Love: I think I'd kind of dismissed this dude as another John Carpenter rip-off artist, and that probably isn't far off base, but this album hit me in the sweet spot as far as retro-electronic music goes. It's moody, rooted in electro (real electro, not elecro-house), and very listenable. Not the most original thing out there, but anything that sounds like Dopplereffekt or Vangelis from time to time is going to appeal to me.

Rabih Beaini - Albidaya: this is Morphosis releasing under his given name. It's got much more of an experimental/musique concrete/free jazz vibe than his more dance oriented projects. Not really sure if I feel it's successful in that vein, it's hard to recommend to anyone except the most adventurous of listeners.

The Focus Group - The Elektrik Karousel: this kind of library music/electronic type stuff is pretty cool but it fades into the background a little too easily a lot of the times, enjoyable while it's on but it doesn't really stick afterwards

Goldfrapp - Tales Of Us: I wasn't sure I'd like this after The Seventh Tree bored the living fuck out of me, but this album is a definite improvement over that one. It's still fairly lowkey and restrained, but the lush arrangements are much more engaging and gorgeous and the songs felt more fully formed. Really nice, dreamy stuff.

Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood - Black Pudding: you know what to expect here, grizzled old white men with acoustic guitars and a fetish for the blues, but the whole thing is a delight from front to back, each track has its own flavor, and there's a nice laidback, rambling quality to the whole thing. Would make a nice companion to one of my other 2013 favorites, Phosphorescent's Muchacho.

Tim Hecker - Virgins: this is great, it's Tim Hecker, so of course it's great. He's been able to carve out a distinct sound in the ambient world, which isn't the easiest thing to do, and this has all the hallmarks of that sound without feeling like a retread. Great stuff to just immerse yourself in. I'm jealous of everyone who has gotten to see him this year.

oOoOO - Without Your Love: more ghostly witchhouse/r&b stuff that puts mood and texture over memorable songs, which makes it hard to recall when it's finished playing but is enjoyable to lose yourself in while it's on. If you like electronic stuff that sounds like it's submerged in an ocean of haze, give it a listen, otherwise you'll be fine without it.

Quadron - Avalanche: occasionally spare, infinitely smooth indie soul/r&B. It's nice stuff but kind of by the numbers, I definitely prefer the Rhye album by a significant margin (they share members, if you don't know)

Unicorn Hard-On - Weird Universe - bug's new favorite band because of their name, but this is actually good noise/techno with some catching day-glo synth work. If you like Fuck Buttons or Container, might be worth checking out

Ex Wife - New Colors: indie rock with dark post-punk jangle, it's fine but I feel like I've heard it all before and just don't care enough to hear it all again

Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge - Twelve Reasons To Die: I really haven't listened to enough Ghostface solo stuff, and I'm sure this isn't the place to start. That said, it's pretty enjoyable, clearly not a classic, but solid with some pretty cool soulful production with tons of organ and a hint of spaghetti western soundtracks at times.

The Pastels - Slow Summits: another band where I feel like I should be digging into their back catalog before I really catch up with their new stuff, symphonic twee pop that's plenty nice but I found myself enjoying the instrumental tracks most.

Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire - Kismet: I want to get on board with this dude more, he comes up with some great grimey shit but like a lot of these young rappers, I feel like he just gets lazy when he starts going off about the drugs and sex and lifestyle shit.

Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess: this is probably a really good album and all, but the epic cheesiness (in an Iron Maiden kind of way) was just far too distracting for me to ever take seriously. I just don't have the patience for fist in the air metal dorkery that some of you do, so if you can stomach that stuff, you'll probably love this.

M.I.A. - Matangi: M.I.A.'s music has always been kind of messy, a bunch of different incongruent influences smashed together, but this album just seems like a overproduced mess. Everything is just kind of thrown together without the ear for common strands that made her first two albums work so well, so it's mostly just an assault of too many ideas striving for dominance at once. The obvious strength of "Bad Girls," which has been out for nearly a year now, just stands as a comparison to how little everything else coheres.

Gesaffelstein - Aleph: this is the kind of electronic dance music that can crossover between serious techno nerds and more mainstream audiences. It's got the kind of paranoid hooks Justice wishes it could still pull off with the attention to production detail and awareness of history that gets the underground's respect. Fun for all ages.

The House In The Woods - Bucolica: a side project from Pye Corner Audio, this album is full of ambient, electronic textures with hints of Gas and shoegaze. If you like all of those things, you'll probably like this.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Should have listened to the new Blood Orange album.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Can we get a working link, since this is legally available for free without label concerns? When I tried earlier everything was overworked.
    For those having issues downloading it
    Papi Piratón!

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Should have listened to the new Blood Orange album.
    I was wondering who this artist/group was because their brooklyn show this friday is selling for $100 a pop. Then realized it's Devin from Lightspeed Champion. Wow...how Pitchfork's "Best New Music" can help you Good for him. He's a nice dude for sure

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I was wondering who this artist/group was because their brooklyn show this friday is selling for $100 a pop. Then realized it's Devin from Lightspeed Champion.
    pssh... you didn't already know this? How embarrassing for you.

Damn, P. That's a ton of listening. I haven't heard a lot of those.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The singer from Glasser sounds like Bjork stripped of all personality in her voice. The music's pretty nice, though, I suppose.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The new Death Grips is a pretty nice step for them. It seems much more structured than previous albums, and some of the instrumental tracks are incredibly interesting (Bootleg and I'm Overflow come to mind). But then there are even death grips songs on this album my friends who HATE Death Grips were able to appreciate (Birds and Big House). It's like MC Ride turned it down 5 notches in insanity for this album, but everyone else got turnt up.

full project out next week.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    The new Death Grips is a pretty nice step for them. It seems much more structured than previous albums, and some of the instrumental tracks are incredibly interesting (Bootleg and I'm Overflow come to mind). But then there are even death grips songs on this album my friends who HATE Death Grips were able to appreciate (Birds and Big House). It's like MC Ride turned it down 5 notches in insanity for this album, but everyone else got turnt up.
    Hrm, I felt the opposite about this album. It felt like a lot of experimenting that ultimately led to a collection of sketches, as opposed to finished songs, being released. There is really interesting stuff and crazy programming on this one, but I was pretty disappointed by it overall.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Hey, do you find most juke/footwork to just be too slow and predictable? Give DJ Clap's Best Night Ever a try:

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I was wondering who this artist/group was because their brooklyn show this friday is selling for $100 a pop. Then realized it's Devin from Lightspeed Champion. Wow...how Pitchfork's "Best New Music" can help you Good for him. He's a nice dude for sure
    Devin? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Devin (the Dude) Hynes

I've been meaning to check out that Blood Orange album.
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Dev or Devonte. Not Devin.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post

full project out next week.
    Since not even the preview for whatever this is will load for me, anyone care to say what it is?

I think he might have been missing a character in the Youtube code.
    last.fm