Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 61626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

  1. #1951
    Member Mr. Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    LA & Mililani
    Posts
    1,758

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Really impressed by Sky Ferreira's major label debut. I'm relieved that this album is not filled with ten songs similar to "Everything is Embarrassing." The lyrics are full of angst and frustration, and she sings with a good amount of conviction. Production has an 80s nostalgic touch to it, which perhaps can be attributed to Dev Hynes, although I have no idea how much he was involved in this project. I feel like this album deserves just as much, if not more, attention and praise as say...Lorde's.
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

  2. #1952

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Marshall Mathers LP 2 has leaked.

  3. #1953
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,192

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    no way!
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

  4. #1954
    Coachella Junkie bballarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14,937

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Special Request's Soul Music is a fucking amazing jungle album. Gets progressively more insane as things pick up. I really highly recommend it if you are into that sort of thing. Doesn't sound retro at all...very rooted in the present and the bass music thing going on right now. Killer.

  5. #1955

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Special Request's Soul Music is a fucking amazing jungle album. Gets progressively more insane as things pick up. I really highly recommend it if you are into that sort of thing. Doesn't sound retro at all...very rooted in the present and the bass music thing going on right now. Killer.
    This. Seems the jungle revival is well and truly a thing at this point. Wonder if drum and bass will receive the same sort of loving embrace from the cadre of British techno producers to emerge from the bass scene in the last few years, a good many of whom (shifted, untold, trevino etc) cut their teeth on those sounds.
    Last edited by Ross1492; 11-01-2013 at 10:32 AM.

  6. #1956
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,721

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    I'm digging the resurgence but have forgotten how to dance to jungle..

  7. #1957

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I'm digging the resurgence but have forgotten how to dance to jungle..
    the same way we dance to everything ... awkwardly

  8. #1958
    old school unknown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    washington
    Posts
    5,728

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Yeah, I too have been digging the fuck out of the Special Request release. Also, the Houndstooth RA label of the month mix, Special Request's XLR8R podcast, and the Samurai Horo Electronic Explorations - these have all satisfied my jungle and dnb craving for the last week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

  9. #1959
    Member Baby Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Special Request's XLR8R podcast
    What's this like?

  10. #1960
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,199

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Sandwich View Post
    What's this like?
    Very jungle-y! http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2013/10/special-request

    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  11. #1961
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,132

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    So apparently Neil Young has an album coming out December 10th. Because he never stops.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  12. #1962
    Coachella Junkie bballarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14,937

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    This. Seems the jungle revival is well and truly a thing at this point. Wonder if drum and bass will receive the same sort of loving embrace from the cadre of British techno producers to emerge from the bass scene in the last few years, a good many of whom (shifted, untold, trevino etc) cut their teeth on those sounds.
    Right? I'm excited about it. It's cool when the producers of nowadays start revisiting the music they came up on. Even if stuff doesn't sound particularly jungle, you can tell when it has been informed by it. Special Request is the first modern jungle artist I've "discovered" on my own (I forget how I heard the Hardcore EP when it came out...probably because of the Lee Gamble remix on the flip) -- everything else in my education has been a couple of my older friends who were around when it was happening schooling me. So I'm stoked to start returning the favor for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I'm digging the resurgence but have forgotten how to dance to jungle..
    I usually get too hyped and end up jumping around like a crazy person. I've never actually listened in a club though. Supposedly you follow the bass?

    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Yeah, I too have been digging the fuck out of the Special Request release. Also, the Houndstooth RA label of the month mix, Special Request's XLR8R podcast, and the Samurai Horo Electronic Explorations - these have all satisfied my jungle and dnb craving for the last week or so.
    Awesome, need to check out those mixes. This one from FACT last December is awesome: https://soundcloud.com/factmag/fact-...pecial-request. Starts electro, gets house-y, moves through hardcore and rave and ends up jungle and experimental. Pretty jamming.

  13. #1963
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,121

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So apparently Neil Young has an album coming out December 10th. Because he never stops.



    8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box


    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  14. #1964
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,721

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    the same way we dance to everything ... awkwardly
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I usually get too hyped and end up jumping around like a crazy person. I've never actually listened in a club though. Supposedly you follow the bass?
    I hadn't thought about it, but following the bass sounds about right.
    It's a good thing Robin isn't reading this thread or she'd probably have something to say about this. (She yells at me for always managing to elbow her or dance too big at dnb shows).

  15. #1965
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,966

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Not that it means two shits about anything, but it seems that most of the critical consensus of Pusha T's debut have been lukewarm to negative, but I really liked the album a lot after one listen. This track especially, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_z_yRrRAQ , apparently Kanye contributed the beat. DJ Rashad's debut is also good, but a lot of it is a little too busy for my taste. Kind of gives me a headache, and is really all over the place. Fresh and original sounding, but not sure it's really for me.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  16. #1966
    Coachella Junkie Sushov23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,966

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Not that it means two shits about anything, but it seems that most of the critical consensus of Pusha T's debut have been lukewarm to negative, but I really liked the album a lot after one listen. This track especially, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_z_yRrRAQ , apparently Kanye contributed the beat. DJ Rashad's debut is also good, but a lot of it is a little too busy for my taste. Kind of gives me a headache, and is really all over the place. Fresh and original sounding, but not sure it's really for me.
    I wasn't really into Pusha T's album, it's a case of too many cooks in the kitchen for me. There are hints of greatness, but it never quite gets there. The first two Clipse albums are albums I consider hip hop classics(Hell Hath No Fury being a hip hop masterpiece, and one of the best 2000's album in ANY genre), so it's hard to not want more from a Pusha T album.

    EDIT- Even taking the Pusha T album on it's own it doesn't really hold up well. Also WAY TOO MANY features.
    Last edited by Sushov23; 11-05-2013 at 10:15 AM.

  17. #1967
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,761

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Eminem's MMLP2 is easily the best rap album I've heard all year. The dude is back and throws it down - one upping Kanye East's banter about croissants and Drake's usual style.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

  18. #1968
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,121

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Eminem's MMLP2 is easily the best rap album I've heard all year. The dude is back and throws it down - one upping Kanye East's banter about croissants and Drake's usual style.
    I actually listened to Yeezus last night for the first time. Did Kanye really say, "I keep it 300, like the Romans".

    ps Run the Jewels is my favorite rap album so far...

    8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box


    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  19. #1969
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,906

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    DJ Rashad's debut is also good, but a lot of it is a little too busy for my taste. Kind of gives me a headache, and is really all over the place. Fresh and original sounding, but not sure it's really for me.
    I agree that taken as a whole the album is an exhausting listen, especially if you haven't listened to the genre much. Perhaps use his two 2013 EPs (Rollin' and I Don't Give A Fuck) as an entry point, and then revisit this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

  20. #1970

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    This is some excellent EAI from a duo out of LA (guitar and drums). Some of the best shows I've ever seen (including my all time favorite) have included this drummer. http://shop.khalija.com/album/1

  21. #1971
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,966

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I agree that taken as a whole the album is an exhausting listen, especially if you haven't listened to the genre much. Perhaps use his two 2013 EPs (Rollin' and I Don't Give A Fuck) as an entry point, and then revisit this one.
    I listened to both of the EPs awhile back, liked Rollin' a good bit. I Don't Give a Fuck is what started to get annoying to me. And the full album was kind of more of a continuation of that. Oh well.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  22. #1972
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,199

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Laurel Halo's "Chance of Rain" is possibly the best thing I've heard all year. It's got the beautiful, strangely airy textures of the last LP, but in a frantic, driving IDM style. A perfect combination between her recent EP (which honestly I didn't much like) and her last LP. It is staggeringly great.

    Stream here until the 28th: http://pitchfork.com/advance/264-chance-of-rain/
    This is great, I finally gave it a listen. Weird jazz interludes, jarring, frenzied moments of raw techno....yes.

    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  23. #1973
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,132

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Cara recommended to us in tinychat that we listen to Courtney Barnett due to the fact that she will be touring in 2014. Holy shit am I glad I hopped on this. She does a psych-y, krautrocky and very very Flying Nun-influenced singer/songwriter sort of music. She sounds like one of those bands that Pavement would have adored had she released music in the 80s and that would have slayed a small crowd at Lollapalooza. Just so much great, mildly sloppy, very trebly guitar, fun and vivid lyrics and a great voice. One listen in and this has rocketed to the topper echelon of albums I've heard this year. Good on ya Courtney, you've made a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  24. #1974
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,111

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Cool. Speaking of albums rocketing to the the upper echelon of the year on first listen, Recondite's new one (Hinterland) has done that with ease. His On Acid from last year was a highlight, but this album finds him focusing less on the acid sound and deepening his particular brand of subtle yet impactful form of moody, emotional techno. It's the kind of thing you play for people to counter their notion that electronic music has no soul. It's got a ton of emotional heft and is full of melancholy beauty. It's going to be perfect for long, lonely winter nights.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  25. #1975
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,132

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Seriously, how many people can start a song (Lance Jr.) with the line, "I masturbated to the songs you wrote" and make it seem great? Maybe anybody, but she makes quite a case for her greatness.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  26. #1976
    Coachella Junkie stinkbutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,536

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Not a starting line, but a good one

    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

  27. #1977
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,500

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Eminem's MMLP2 is easily the best rap album I've heard all year. The dude is back and throws it down - one upping Kanye East's banter about croissants and Drake's usual style.
    You are insane. Kanye West, Run The Jewels, Danny Brown, and Chance The Rapper all released excellent albums this year and MMLP2 doesnt even come close to touching any of those. Hell, even Magna Carta... is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  28. #1978
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,199

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Cara recommended to us in tinychat that we listen to Courtney Barnett due to the fact that she will be touring in 2014. Holy shit am I glad I hopped on this. She does a psych-y, krautrocky and very very Flying Nun-influenced singer/songwriter sort of music. She sounds like one of those bands that Pavement would have adored had she released music in the 80s and that would have slayed a small crowd at Lollapalooza. Just so much great, mildly sloppy, very trebly guitar, fun and vivid lyrics and a great voice. One listen in and this has rocketed to the topper echelon of albums I've heard this year. Good on ya Courtney, you've made a winner.
    I'm so enamored by the "sincerely disinterested" aspect of her work.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Cool. Speaking of albums rocketing to the the upper echelon of the year on first listen, Recondite's new one (Hinterland) has done that with ease. His On Acid from last year was a highlight, but this album finds him focusing less on the acid sound and deepening his particular brand of subtle yet impactful form of moody, emotional techno. It's the kind of thing you play for people to counter their notion that electronic music has no soul. It's got a ton of emotional heft and is full of melancholy beauty. It's going to be perfect for long, lonely winter nights.
    YES! I listened to this last night while drifting off to sleep. Definitely less of the acid influence and more dedication to his signature haunting sound. Best for brooding, chilly atmospheres.

    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  29. #1979
    Member Baby Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    This is really good.

    Gracias.

  30. #1980
    Coachella Junkie sonofhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,968

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    You are insane. Kanye West, Run The Jewels, Danny Brown, and Chance The Rapper all released excellent albums this year and MMLP2 doesnt even come close to touching any of those. Hell, even Magna Carta... is better.
    Indeed - insanity from theklein25. He's normally on the money when it comes to rap (or any other type of music). The guy is a legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Similar Threads

  1. Tell Us About 2012 Releases
    By SoulDischarge in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 2233
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 01:01 AM
  2. 2013 Likely Artists with New/Recent Releases
    By themonstermash in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 479
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
  3. Nike+ releases
    By bmack86 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
  4. New Album Releases?
    By flickfan82x in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
  5. The official 2008 releases thread
    By Stefinitely Maybe in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •