Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

The 1975's album is a pretty infectious listen, like a funkier Phoenix from the UK. Sure, a lot of the songs blend together, it's nothing groundbreaking, Pitchfork gave it a 5.9, but it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    It was always a little too flamboyant for me.
    The first half of Hissing Fauna was ok, its right after ...Grotesque Animal that it just gets really flamboyant
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.
    April 26 - Black Sabbath - Hollywood Bowl
    July 11 - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Shrine Auditorium

St. Lucia's debut LP is streaming over at MTV.com and I'm quite enjoying it so far. Fans of Twin Shadow, newer M83, Passion Pit, and basically anyone that likes the poppy/synthy stuff will really dig this.

http://www.mtv.com/artists/st-lucia/

The new Touche Amore album is definitely going to appeal to fans of Thursday and/or Sunny Day Real Estate at their most angular. Yeah, it's definitely going to turn lots of people off, but I love both acts and these guys do a great job of making that style of music. I dig the hell outta it.

That said, if you're into the whole emocore with teeth sound, there's an album out from earlier this year that pretty much bulldozes everything else I've heard by similar acts. The Ocean - Pelagial is a fucking beast of a release. It can only at times be considered linked to the above-mentioned acts, and then mostly because of the vocals. Instrumentally its a wicked snare of post-rock, indie guitar rock, metal, post-hardcore and something else. Thankfully, if vaguely emo-ish vocals turn you off (I love them) they put the album out with an instrumental version as well. Either way you go, you, all of you, deserve to listen to this record and find great joy in well-made music.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Oh, and the lyrical and non-lyrical versions of Pelagial have different influences and goals behind them. The instrumental version was meant to mirror the descent into the deepest parts of the ocean, with accompanying track titles describing these zones. The lyrical version contains many references to Stalker, Andrei Tarkovsky's masterpiece and the best movie. So yeah, check that shit out, yo.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oooh I didn't realize there was a vocal version of Pelagial released. They put out an instrumental version and that was what i heard and it's really terrific.

And the Touche Amore album is really good, but not necessarily treading new ground compared to their other releases. If you're into that, I've been discovering several bands with new releases in that same category that I've really liked: Together - Of Life And Love And Some Things In Between, This Routine Is Hell - Howl, The Reptilian - Low Health, and Sleepytime Trio - Memory Minus. And of course, the new Defeater album, Letters Home.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

I've heard the new Defeater, but none of the others. Whenever I listen to Pelagial I keep thinking I need to tell you to listen to it, and then I forget. The vocal album is going to make you pee with delight. Or something.

I got the instrumental version months ago, like in May. I had never heard of the band before, and really, really liked the album. but I didn't know anything about them, so i just figured they were an instrumental band. Really interesting.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    What if I don't really give a shit too much about lyrics, will I like it if I also like Emergency & I and Change?
    You'll probably listen to it twice and never listen to it again.

New Four Tet album out on Friday!

http://www.normanrecords.com/records...utiful-rewind-
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    The Dismemberment Plan have made a nice musical return with UNCANNY VALLEY. Interesting beats and hooks you'd expect from them, no one sounds like them out there really, always interesting at the minimum... But the enjoyment ends pretty much any time Morrison opens his garbage can of a mouth. The lyrics are not clever, nor filled with the past ironic humor and earnestness that makes you want to scream and shout along with their songs. Instead its just a constant stream of "lyrically diarrhea" (to quote someone on what.cd) of lines that might as well have been pulled out of a hat.

Emergency & I and Change will be required listens to save your brain from remembering this one. Really bummed. Waiting and Mexico City Christmas are the only songs that I see being any lasting extension of their career.
    Sigh, I was afraid of that. I heard the three new songs and was not optimistic after that.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I just checked the Owen Pallett message board to see if there was any news and all the songs for his upcoming album have been recorded, no release date yet though.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Owen Pallett messaged board? Hah.

Yeah, I have checked it a few times to see his updates, since he posts there. I think the lyrics to the whole album are posted there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    The Dismemberment Plan have made a nice musical return with UNCANNY VALLEY. Interesting beats and hooks you'd expect from them, no one sounds like them out there really, always interesting at the minimum... But the enjoyment ends pretty much any time Morrison opens his garbage can of a mouth. The lyrics are not clever, nor filled with the past ironic humor and earnestness that makes you want to scream and shout along with their songs. Instead its just a constant stream of "lyrically diarrhea" (to quote someone on what.cd) of lines that might as well have been pulled out of a hat.

Emergency & I and Change will be required listens to save your brain from remembering this one. Really bummed. Waiting and Mexico City Christmas are the only songs that I see being any lasting extension of their career.
    I'm only one song in, and this review appears to be spot on. I don't know if I'll be able to finish the album at this rate.

If you dug Vatican Shadow's releases the past few years, check out Violetshaped's self-titled record. Not as hard-hitting as VS's stuff got at times, but there are definitely some similarities. Also, Kandodo's K2o is a really good psychedelic drone album. There are a few tracks that get quite lengthy and are really effective.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Stream the new Four Tet in full here: https://soundcloud.com/four-tet/beautiful-rewind

Sounding good so far!

Yeah, another solid album from him. Ever Never especially was amazing.

Actually sitting down with the Darkside LP and not pressing skip after the first five minutes of buildup. While I still think that is way too long to build up a track I am enjoying what I'm hearing now. I think the Four Tet primed me to listen to this.

Relevant to those interested in Chvrches, perhaps : http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...nline-misogyny

4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

why the fuck is there a v in their name

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Is there a thread of anything like a A Thread In Which WE Rate New Albums?

I love seeing all the releases and leaks in that Blackswan thread, but all a lot of the post are just names and album covers and myself and probably most of the board are too lazy to just download it ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    kvnty offered me 2 fists for one companion parking pass

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Is there a thread of anything like a A Thread In Which WE Rate New Albums?

I love seeing all the releases and leaks in that Blackswan thread, but all a lot of the post are just names and album covers and myself and probably most of the board are too lazy to just download it ourselves.
    In what way is this thread failing to give you feedback on new albums?

I guess I haven't really read this thread enough. I like numbers though. I scroll past long posts

The thread does have its derailments (like where we talked about Butthole Surfers for no reason for an eternity) but there's some good stuff in here. A number tells you very little anyway. A good review can convey to me through descriptive elements that I might like an album even when the reviewer himself didnt' like it.

I guess I would be happy with a thread that does something like Blackswan's thread with the name and album w/cover and then a poster just puts a 8.3/10 under it. No long drawn out explanation of why. Not bitching about this or any other thread though. I should just stop being lazy

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Stream the new Four Tet in full here: https://soundcloud.com/four-tet/beautiful-rewind

Sounding good so far!
    Think this might be my favorite Four Tet release.
    4/9 The Knife @ Fox Pomona
    4/11-13 Coachella
    4/18-20 Coachella
    4/26 Simian Mobile Disco @ Pappy & Harriet's
    5/1 The Horrors @ First Unitarian Church
    5/8 La Sera @ The Echo
    5/10 A Place To Bury Stangers @ Constellation Room
    6/7-9 Governors Ball
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    The thread does have its derailments (like where we talked about Butthole Surfers for no reason for an eternity)
    Talking about Butthole Surfers is never a derailment.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    I guess I would be happy with a thread that does something like Blackswan's thread with the name and album w/cover and then a poster just puts a 8.3/10 under it. No long drawn out explanation of why. Not bitching about this or any other thread though. I should just stop being lazy
    This is a totally fucking stupid idea.

Also, I really like the Haim album. You guys should stop hating fun
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    This is a totally fucking stupid idea.

Also, I really like the Haim album. You guys should stop hating fun
    Please assign a numerical rating. I'd like a picture too.