Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Come see Shigeto with me in October? Beacon is playing the same show, and that album is also lovely.

I definitely intend on going to that show, just haven't bought my ticket yet. It's a Thursday night, too

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Also, I'm head over heels in love with Shigeto's No Better Time Than Now, in particular, Miss U:

Yeah the Shigeto album is fucking brilliant. That dude makes some great tunes... I love his last album too.

And I found the new Pond album to be abrasive in an awkward and not satisfying way.
    Hmm. I listened to it in full today and to me it kicks the living shit out of Tame Impala's last record, not that the two should even be compared. If it weren't for that head scratcher of a title track, it'd be up there among the best things I've heard all year. It's the total psychedelic freakout stuff that greatly appeals to me.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Hmm. I listened to it in full today and to me it kicks the living shit out of Tame Impala's last record, not that the two should even be compared. If it weren't for that head scratcher of a title track, it'd be up there among the best things I've heard all year. It's the total psychedelic freakout stuff that greatly appeals to me.
    Yeah -- I'll give it another listen (I was listening at work, so wasn't fully focused and it probably wasn't the ideal setting), because I do enjoy psych freak out.

Forest Swords - Engravings is phenomenal. I was disappointed with the "post-dubstep" outputs of Blake & Mt. Kimbie this year, but this is release seems to push forward in a different, new direction of where that genre might go. Really love it.

Post-dubstep is probably not even the right microgenre word to use with this album, either, I realize. Post-drone-step.
    Last edited by guedita; 08-21-2013 at 07:23 AM.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I need to give it a few more listens to really make up my mind, the middle seemed to kind of drag a bit, but in general, I agree. That Forest Swords lived up to my expectations based on how much I loved Dagger Paths.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The new Volcano Choir is a change from their last album. The textures on this album remind me more of Bon Iver than the bands previous release. I really enjoyed it on the first listen.
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

Franz Ferdinand continue to merely hold serve with their new album. Their debut was so fresh sounding, so sleek, so stylish. Nothing they've done since has interested me much.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Stumbled across these guys the other night. Their sounds is kind of like a mix of newer M83, The Naked & Famous, and Washed Out...I guess. Nothing too original, but I've been really enjoying their album that recently came out.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

There is a new Jesu full length coming out this year!!!!

And there is a new track out now, and it's fucking amazing!

http://soundcloud.com/officialjesu/jesu-homesick
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Stumbled across these guys the other night. Their sounds is kind of like a mix of newer M83, The Naked & Famous, and Washed Out...I guess. Nothing too original, but I've been really enjoying their album that recently came out.

The sax in that first one is a little too cheesy for me. Other than that, pretty.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I've been playing catch-up one a lot of 2013 stuff the past month or so and here's what's stood out:

Floorplan - Paradise: Floorplan is one of Robert Hood's aliases, and while Paradise isn't anything groundbreaking it's a fun and high-spirited techno/house hybrid influenced by Hood's religious beliefs and the gospel music he would hear at the services.

The Asphodells - Ruled by Passion, Destroyed by Lust: a somewhat uneven but still enjoyable synth pop/minimal/darkwave album.

Cassy - Fabric 71: a very solid and well-paced mix from Cassy, one which simmers more than it boils.

L. Pierre - The Island Come True: ever wonder what Adian Moffat from Arab Strap is doing these days? Apparently he's making quite interesting ambient/collage/drone albums. The albums's cover really does well to capture the moods and sounds used to create this album, and while not every experiment works quite well there are enough standouts to make it worth your time.

DJ Rashad - I Don't Give A Fuck: another stellar and boundery-pushed footwork EP - in a perfect world teenagers would be cruising down the street with their speakers blasting tracks like "Everybody."

Fear of Men - Early Fragments: melancholy girl-group indie-pop.

I'm hesitant to say too much about the new OPN album because I really don't think it's quite done yet; while the leaked version further illustrates what a brilliant sound designer Lopatin is, the album is lacking a bit in terms of an overall sense of unity and at times within the tracks themselves he seems to get a bit lost in his own thoughts. It's still quite a strong album as-is, so if he's able to make some positive changes from here before the official release that can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

After settling in with it, I disagree with the previously expressed sentiments that the Majical Cloudz album is terrible and generic. The songs are strong, the production is spare and effective, and both work to enhance the heightened emotions of the vocals. It's not exceedingly original or anything, it brings up memories of lots of 80's mope rock/synth-pop, but there's enough of a distinct, modern take on the sound to make it stand out. If anything's generic and boring, it's that new No Age.

So, the King Krule record. There's actually quite a lot going on musically that I really dug about it. The album touches on a wide number of genres, and the production is really tight. But...that voice. The only reason we give Tom Waits a pass on his latter day growl is because he gave us so much wonderful music leading up to then...and even now, his music continues to be excellent. King Krule hasn't earned that yet, and for me his grunt of a voice is an absolute deal breaker. Impossible to listen to slash take seriously. The two DJs at KCRW who are calling this album of the year are fucking insane.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

King Krule is fucking terrible.

Seriously though, if he wasn't a ginger kid with a remarkably deep singing voice, would anyone give a flying fuck? I can't wait for people to forget his music exists.

So, the King Krule record. There's actually quite a lot going on musically that I really dug about it. The album touches on a wide number of genres, and the production is really tight. But...that voice. The only reason we give Tom Waits a pass on his latter day growl is because he gave us so much wonderful music leading up to then...and even now, his music continues to be excellent. King Krule hasn't earned that yet, and for me his grunt of a voice is an absolute deal breaker. Impossible to listen to slash take seriously. The two DJs at KCRW who are calling this album of the year are fucking insane.
    You know what else is a deal breaker? Typing out "slash" instead of just using "/".

Never do that again.

Uhhhh. What are you talking about with Tom Waits? He has two records where his voice isn't "growly," and those are his first two. And those are far from his best work. I haven't listened to King Krule at all, so I have no comment on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Uhhhh. What are you talking about with Tom Waits? He has two records where his voice isn't "growly," and those are his first two. And those are far from his best work. I haven't listened to King Krule at all, so I have no comment on him.
    I guess we all hear different things, but it wasn't for quite a few of his albums before his voice became almost unbearable for me to listen to.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Tom Waits' voice is the sound of the devil's Buick 66 revving on the way to collect souls. It's utterly spectacular, likely the most distinctive voice in music.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

So, Sleeper. Ty Segall can really do no wrong. Can't wait for the show tomorrow.

Tom Waits' voice is the sound of the devil's Buick 66 revving on the way to collect souls. It's utterly spectacular, likely the most distinctive voice in music.
    Yup, raspy Tom is the best Tom.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 08-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I did not realize that Versions by Zola Jesus/JG Thirlwell was new versions of old Zola Jesus songs. Her earlier music has not much grabbed me but this record is fantastic.

We Knew It Was Not Going To Be Like This is the first I'm hearing of Auckland-based Surf City but I am loving it. The first reference that comes to mind is the poppy shoegaze side of Deerhunter.

I guess we all hear different things, but it wasn't for quite a few of his albums before his voice became almost unbearable for me to listen to.
    I'm pretty sure Mule Variations and Blood Money had his "latter day growl"... Both of those albums are fucking stellar.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mule Variations and Blood Money had his "latter day growl"... Both of those albums are fucking stellar.
    Absolutely. I'm in no way disagreeing with that.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Finally, the Raspberry Bulbs album that recently got reviewed favorably on Pitchfork, Deformed Humanity, is a total beast. The prior Raspberry Bulbs album sounded like old-school black metal played by punk musicians, short blasts of decayed and lo-fi riffage with evil howls. This album features a full band and higher sound quality. The songs retain the evil and hatred of the prior releases but with much more developed ideas and music. It reminds me most of the METZ album from last year with more vicious violence. I kind of love it.
    Yeah, these are some good jams. Definitely in the same vein as METZ. So glad that sound is coming back in style.

Yea this probably won't be out till next year but fuck it, I'm excited!!!

Steve Albini: "Test pressings are in and we're working on the cover artwork"

http://thequietus.com/articles/13218-shellac-new-album

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

The Pity Sex LP and EP I ordered came in the mail today. Both are well worth your time if you like the grungey, punky side of the 90's. Also has an emo and shoegaze vibe to it. Catchy songs, well-written. I highly recommend both, especially if you are into California X, Milk Music, Yuck and other bands that like distortion.

Listened to Sleeper today as well, and really, really enjoyed it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Oh yes, this was a fantastic recommendation! Postiljonen's entire Skyer album album is breezy and summer fun with a big dash of 80s cheese. There are a lot of elements M83, mainly drawing from Saturdays = Youth and after, but it also has some of the ethereal elements and usage of samples from the earlier work as well. And definitely a healthy helping of chillwave thrown in. I also notice a bit of Zola Jesus in the vocals and some of the arrangements. But it does well with its influences, manages to throw a lot of different things out there, and is an extremely nice record if you're hungry for more of this time of stuff. Also, at 35 minutes long, the 10 songs move briskly and never overstay their welcome.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 08-30-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Glad to hear! It's fast become one of my favorite albums of the year.

Off to see Postiljonen next month. Really looking forward to the show (and picking up the vinyl).
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.