Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Yup. I listened to it on Saturday and it's much better than Everything in Between, which was good but felt tepid compared to everything else in their catalog. There's more energy and the added instrumentation just works in the songs' favor. It takes their energetic sound and melds it with their increased songwriting capabilities.

On the same drive I listened to two other excellent 2013 releases. Grant Hart - The Argument is the best work he's done since Intolerance, his first post-Huskers album. His voice has aged well, and on many songs he reminds me favorably of David Bowie. There is a ton of diversity across these twenty songs, which form a vague concept album based on Paradise Lost. What makes it all work is that he is writing great melodic pop/rock songs that show that, while he hadn't used it in a long time, he had never lost his ear for writing great melodies.

The other is in a completely different vein, Gorguts' forthcoming album Color of Sands. Gorguts do what is called Technical death metal, but when I listen I just hear complex metal songs played well and interestingly. As compared to their twin classics Obscura and From Wisdom to Hate, there is more melody and variation here, as those albums had an almost-jazz like rhythmic base supporting the truly intense and (at times) atonal guitar attack. In the ensuing 12 years since the last album lead man Luc Lemay studied at a classic conservatory, which is evinced by The Battle of Chamdo, a composed piece played by a string quintet that initially sounds jarring the middle of all the metal, but makes sense as pieces of it tie in to the rest of the album. In a great year for metal this is another fantastic album and a welcome return from a great band.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Goldfrapp's Tales of Us is really gorgeous. While certainly not revisiting the same disco aesthetics of Headfirst, it's not exactly the return to Felt Mountain as I had heard reported. This is the most stripped down I have ever these two, an album mostly consisting of Allison's amazing voice upfront and center accompanied by acoustic guitar, with light backing of orchestral elements, light percussion, and the occasional synth. The pace is slow, deliberate, meloncholy and at times, quite haunting.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I don't remember how I found out about The Phoenix Foundation, if it was on here or someplace else, but I am really enjoying their album "Fandango"

Also, The Polyphonic Spree's new album "Yes, It's True" is really great as well.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Goldfrapp's Tales of Us is really gorgeous. While certainly not revisiting the same disco aesthetics of Headfirst, it's not exactly the return to Felt Mountain as I had heard reported. This is the most stripped down I have ever these two, an album mostly consisting of Allison's amazing voice upfront and center accompanied by acoustic guitar, with light backing of orchestral elements, light percussion, and the occasional synth. The pace is slow, deliberate, meloncholy and at times, quite haunting.
    This is good to hear, although it should be noted that a high quality rip isn't out there yet.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This is good to hear, although it should be noted that a high quality rip isn't out there yet.
    That makes sense...I actually wonder if this is even the finished mix/master. There are some funky instances of room tone on vocals and/or guitars that don't gel with the rest of the mix at certain points. Levels of things might be off a bit too. I thought as much though, which is why i didn't bother mentioning these things. i listened on my Genelecs at work too, so it was a pretty unadultered test listen. STILL, it's a great record.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    So closer to Seventh Tree?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

I really, really liked Washed Out's new one when I listened to it today. He's made some tweaks to his sound, but a lot of the old formula is still there as well. If you've liked what he's done up until now you'll like this a lot too.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The new No Age is okay. I feel like a lot of the tracks are filler tracks that belong on a much more well rounded album. Makes me really miss Nouns and Weirdo Rippers.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I really, really liked Washed Out's new one when I listened to it today. He's made some tweaks to his sound, but a lot of the old formula is still there as well. If you've liked what he's done up until now you'll like this a lot too.
    Upon first listen i thought it was overall too slow, with more reggae influence than i would like, and i wasn't sure about all the guitar...but there are like 3 tracks that loved, and there's still a lot to like in the rest of it. I do like that it really feels like a band (even though I think he still recorded it all himself). There is what sounds like live drums and really nice sounding bass guitar, and I was really happy about that. i have a feeling it will grow on me.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    The new No Age is okay. I feel like a lot of the tracks are filler tracks that belong on a much more well rounded album. Makes me really miss Nouns and Weirdo Rippers.
    I've only listened to it once, but yeah.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Samaris album is lush. Sounds like Bjork meets trip hop. You should all give it a spin on Spotify (just don't tell Thom).

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Two brand new songs - Desaparecidos!!!

http://desaparecidos.myshopify.com/c...nderground-man

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Okay guys, seriously though:

has there been any actually GOOD music this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

VigoTheCarpathian

Foxygen is what I walked away with last time you asked.

I could only get through 3 songs of Jagwar Ma before I had to turn it off. Might give it another try next week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I kinda dislike Jagwar Ma and dont think ill try to give them a relisten.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Okay guys, seriously though:

has there been any actually GOOD music this year?
    My overall view of this year is that there have been a lot of competent, good releases -- many of which have come from long-dormant or otherwise highly-anticipated artists -- but very few truly excellent releases. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will disagree with me, but this has been the least interesting year for new music in some time. Guitar-based indie rock has been really mediocre in particular, which may be coloring my overall perspective of things.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

We've had this discussion in another thread or two or three, but I didn't really contribute because I haven't thought of a lot of really great releases that I could say "Hey, this really is a great year in music." But I do think it is a great year in music and has more excited than any other since like 2007 or somewhere around there. And the reasons I think I'm having a hard time coming up with a list of things to state as proof positive that this is a really good year is that there aren't a lot of wide-ranging GREAT albums, but a lot more really good albums that kind of fit in the fringes or are more genre oriented. Which is similar to what you said, but I think a lot of these things are better than just "competent," and I think there's probably more considerably better than average albums than there have been in several years, even if the "defining album" count is lower than usual. I'll also agree that guitar based indie rock is in kind of a lull, but that's fine with me because so much of that shit was becoming a snoozefest anyway. I mean, it's been 30 years since SST and shit were setting the template for indie, it's gotten about as much mileage as it's going to get from a huge pool of bands. The Mumfordization of indie has been finalized, it's time to dig elsewhere for innovation and fresh talent. So most of what's good these days is based in electronic music, r&b, hardcore/metal, and experimental stuff, so it's a shitty year to be Randy.

Besides, it hasn't been that bad of a year for rock music. Even if they aren't A+ albums (and not all of these are things I'm in love with, just going off general consensus), there have been well received/interesting albums from My Bloody Valentine, David Bowie, The National, Low, Yo La Tengo, Nick Cave, Foxygen, Phosphorescent, The Men, the Flaming Lips, Vampire Weekend, Youth Lagoon, Devendra Banhart, Eleanor Friedberger, Savages, Sigur Ros, etc. I think it becomes easy to become blind to how solid some of the stuff released this year is in the search to define everything in terms of "album of the year contender."
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I'm beyond happy to say that, of those you've listed (and really, of the indie rock albums I've fallen for) the Men have released the best record of the year. They haven't done anything comparable to the best metal or experimental releases this year, but that album is consistently solid.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

There have been a LOT of really good records this year but I think Everything Everything's Arc has been the one I have been consistently listening to more than anything else the entire year (and one that pretty much nobody talks about). It's so fucking good.
    last.fm

When I listened to that, it just struck me as the most generic "British indie rock with post-punk and dance influences" type shit possible. I have no idea what you hear in it, but I'm sure they'll end up festival darlings within 2 years.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I think the Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds album is still my favorite of the year, but others have stood out for sure. The Black Angels, The National, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Sigur Ros, The Joy Formidable, Foals, Thee Oh Sees, Deerhunter, Disappears, and The Men have all released albums that I very much enjoy. Then you have things in the next tier like albums from Savages, Pond, Marnie Stern, and No Age that I think are still pretty good. I disliked the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, and was disappointed in Atoms for Peace. But it's been a decent year for me. I might just be less critical than I used to be.

I have to highlight Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Specter at the Feast a little bit, too. I can't quite articulate why I like this album and band so much, but it just works for me. I think I enjoy the balance of heavy and intricate sounds that they produce. I don't really see BRMC getting talked about a lot on this board, but I think they're pretty fantastic.

Has anyone listened to the new MGMT single? I've never been a huge fan but they're playing FFF and I'm curious as to how it compares to their previous work.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I'd say Moderat, QOTSA and Jon Hopkins have my favorite albums of the year so far. Blondes (need more listens still) and Rhye are up there too.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

For me I would say Deafheaven, Altar of Plagues, Fuck Buttons, QOTSA, and Goldfrapp are my favorites so far.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

The new No Age record is great! I just wish it was a little longer.. 29 minutes?

Weirdo Rippers - 31:49
    Nouns - 30:35
    Everything In Between - 38:01

I mean, it's short, but it's not like they have ever been known for making super long records
    last.fm

My Moderat showed up a day early on my doorstep yesterday. Happy to say it might be my favorite release of the year. Pumped to see them in a month!

Really? I need to listen to again, I was thoroughly bored.

Blondes Swisher has made a huge impression on me. Cannot get enough of those guys.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival