Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Weirdest but maybe my favorite album to explore this year has been the redeemer by dean blunt. Minimalist compositions but he sings alot too. Sounds like a cross between Phillip glass at points to me, but more interesting and heartbreaking. Out of this world. His gf broke up with him and he has like messages she left on his phone throughout the album. "Brutal" is great and "Papi" has a great pink Floyd sample.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    The new Weekend record is fucking fantastic.
    Fuck yes. Can't wait to hear it. Criminally overlooked band.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Sean McCann's new album, Music for Private Ensemble is a really excellent modern classical/ambient album because it manages to fall into those genres without following the common tropes that are, quite honestly, in pretty much every other album in them. On my first listen, I found the quick changes in dynamic range and the sudden starts and stops of the instruments kind of jarring, but the second time around it made much more sense (I think because I was ready for it) and those features became engaging and stunning instead. I haven't heard much ambient that came out this year that I thought highly of, and this one comes up way on top of all the others.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

This is so sick.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The new Weekend record is fucking fantastic.
    Awesome! I didn't know they had a new one! They were awesome live last years when I saw them at the shoegaze fest down here opening for Mark Gardener
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

So wait, there'd Weekend and The Weeknd? Ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Yes, and they both released their first material in 2010. Weekend is a shoegazer/lo-fi band.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Ohhhh, okay. I thought calling the Weeknd "criminally overlooked" was a bit odd.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Ohhhh, okay. I thought calling the Weeknd "criminally overlooked" was a bit odd.
    Haha, no I most definitely wouldn't have called The Weeknd overlooked. Weekend played the Echo a few years ago and they were fucking fantastic fantastic fantastic. Their debut was in my Top 5 of that year. I think you'd dig them, Gribbz.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

This record is definitely not lo-fi. Super post-punk, but darker and more romantic. More singing than the previous records. Less immediate than Sports but a step forward in every conceivable way. You guys have heard the Red EP, right?

TEED remix of Disclosure's "F For You."

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/...nosaurs-remix/

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    So wait, there'd Weekend and The Weeknd? Ugh
    There's "The Weekend," "Weekend" and "The Weeknd."
    And I'm pretty sure they've all played Coachella at some point.

I don't think the first two have.

First new Yuck song! it sounds like a totally different band in every way, but I like it.

last.fm

Coachella Junkie

This record is definitely not lo-fi. Super post-punk, but darker and more romantic. More singing than the previous records. Less immediate than Sports but a step forward in every conceivable way. You guys have heard the Red EP, right?
    Noise Cure.

Well, what with having a new lead singer, it's not that unexpected that Yuck would sound like a whole new band.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

The '90s are alive and well. Speedy Ortiz' Major Arcana sounds like it could have been literally excavated from then. I suppose if I was in high school right now I might find an album like this fresh and exciting, what with the contrast between the calm verses and the uber-distorted choruses, but I'm not and so I don't. Just as much of the 2000s were in a way an ode to the '80s, this decade after albums of a similar cloth from Yuck, Cloud Nothings, Waxahatchee, and now this, it feels like the 2010s are destined to be the decade of the '90s throwbacks.

Which isn't a terrible thing, but I was alive and aware when Tracy Bonham had that angsty "Mother Mother" song that was big in the summer of '97, and this doesn't feel like it adds much more to the overall pool than simply holding a mirror up to that time.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Noise Cure.
    That's actually not a bad summary. Thanks Pot.

Speaking of the 90's remaining alive, AlunaGeorge's album is definitely interesting in its faithfulness to R&B of the time. That said, it is faithful almost to a fault as far as lyrics and melodies are concerned. Nothing that Aluna herself contributes really sticks, and several of the lyrics cross the line into cringeworthy status. Hot topics include: good love, bad love, unrequited love, good relationships, bad relationships, getting dumped, dumping someone. In capable hands these topics could fuel interest over an album, but not this one.

However, the production itself remains pretty awesome throughout. It can be a little busy at times, but when the pieces fit the results can be unique and quite stunning. That alone prevents it from becoming pure pastiche, but I haven't yet decided if it is enough to save the entire thing.
    Last edited by Jman4321; 07-19-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    The '90s are alive and well. Speedy Ortiz' Major Arcana sounds like it could have been literally excavated from then. I suppose if I was in high school right now I might find an album like this fresh and exciting, what with the contrast between the calm verses and the uber-distorted choruses, but I'm not and so I don't. Just as much of the 2000s were in a way an ode to the '80s, this decade after albums of a similar cloth from Yuck, Cloud Nothings, Waxahatchee, and now this, it feels like the 2010s are destined to be the decade of the '90s throwbacks.

Which isn't a terrible thing, but I was alive and aware when Tracy Bonham had that angsty "Mother Mother" song that was big in the summer of '97, and this doesn't feel like it adds much more to the overall pool than simply holding a mirror up to that time.
    I want to argue that Cloud Nothings isn't copping from the 90s. I can't do so, but I can argue that they are doing so in a way that makes their music more exciting than artists who replicate more-heard genres, and do so less skillfully. Because, really, Attack on Memory is a great album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Ultimately, who gives a shit if the songs are good?

Exactly.

When we saw Cloud Nothings at the Glasshouse after Coachella, they were basically a black metal band. They jammed the songs out fast and furious for 10 minutes at a time and Dylan was screaming his lungs out the whole time. it was awesome. i don't know if that is indicative of their new direction or just a process of finishing a long tour, but either way it makes me super curious about what the follow-up record is going to sound like.
    last.fm

God I hope that's indicative of where they're going. I saw them not long after Attack on Memory came out and it was excellent, but very much in line with how the album sounded (almost note for note, actually.) That sounds incredible.

It was remarkably different than when I saw them at FYF last year. It was nuts.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I agree with all of this. I couldn't get through the whole album. It wasn't bad, it wasn't exciting either though.

Cloud Nothings were the same way at New Parish in between Coachellas this year. They blew Japandroids away. No bullshit, no pauses, much more punk rock. I think he is only going to get less poppy, but he still writes super catchy stuff. I want to play with those guys real bad.

I was disappointed with Japandroids' mix at Coachella.

If the aughts was 80's revival and the '10s is 90's revival, what happens next? What kind of new culture (music or otherwise) have we created in the 21st century? I'm not really seeing any.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

In 2020, some band will write a song that sounds exactly like New Slang and a whole new generation of kids who have never heard New Slang will go crazy for it.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare